• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is LA GAF OK? It's raining....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Scarlet

Reminds me of when I lived in Atlanta..any snow on the ground and stuff just completely closed down. Now it snows for about 5 months out of the year and nothing closes. :(

Korey said:
It's pretty hilarious living here in socal, because when it rains, that's what's covered on the evening news (kcal, nbc, fox11, etc).

If you turn on the tv, the news is literally that "it is raining", complete with correspondent commentary, footage of rain, and interviews asking random people what they think about it.

Also, you know that driving is not a good idea because people freak out and don't know how to handle water falling out of the sky.

I know, it's really funny. :lol

I've lived here all my life, so anything under 60 degrees is bitter cold for me. I wish it was always summer. Summer rain is okay.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
smurfx said:
noooo! socal rain freaking smells.
What? No it doesn't. At least here I don't notice a terrible smell.

It stopped raining here, by the way. Nooooooooo :(

noisome07

Banned
Rewrite said:
What? No it doesn't. At least here I don't notice a terrible smell.

It stopped raining here, by the way. Nooooooooo :(

Don't worry. Thunder storms on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Those are great. I just leave my windows open and listen to the thunder while it vibrates all the windows. Yea it's weird but hearing thunder is pretty damn rare over here.

It's RAAAAAAIINNNNIIIINNNNGGGG NOOOOOOO

Seriously, as long as I don't have to drive with those psychos out there, I don't mind it. People seriously don't understand that long amounts of no rain leads to lots of oil on the roads... lots of oil on the roads + first rain = brakes not working like they used to. SLOW DOWN GUYS

It was insane in OC yesterday. When i walked outside the wind was actually pushing me, I almost fell. And people forget how to drive when it rains; every miles or two there is some guy who spun out is sitting there waiting for a tow truck.

B.K.

Red Scarlet said:
Reminds me of when I lived in Atlanta..any snow on the ground and stuff just completely closed down.

Can't really blame them. They aren't prepared. During the snow they had last week, I heard on the news that they only have four salt trucks for the entire city.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
it's pourin down now and two thunderbolts going off so far in south los. Gotta love a asian soup cups duing the rain. Mmm....

aznpxdd

Yeah people in So Cal turn into fucking idiots when it rains. Such a pain to get to work and back during a raining day.

MrHicks

Banned
"every day hot and sunny
every day hot and sunny....
isn't it great hehehe"

What are you people?...fucking lizards?!!!!
only lizards feel this way about this kinda weather

I'm a mammal. I can afford scarves, coats, cappuccino and rosey cheeked women, and all are available for sale...............on the streets of New York

Persona7

Banned
I LOVE IT.

I was outside smoking and it started pouring and I just stood there marveling at the beauty.

I wish it rained more in LA.

rc213 said:
Wow, That was some fucking loud ass earth shaking thunder. =X

It's just a precursor to these TORNADOES I've been hearing so much about.

If one touches down, these are truly the end times.

Persona7

Banned
Yeah, the wind is REALLY STARTING TO PICK UP. my door was partially open and the wind fucking SLAMMED it all the way open.

BlacKMaRK

Banned
Damn I can't even remember the last time we had rain like this. I guess we need it but it sucks. OC here it's thundering like crazy and I just saw lightning.

2nafish

Banned
Is this year an "El Nino" year?

It's pretty rough out here on the Coastline... and goddamit, the commute is gonna be crappier than usual come 5 o'clock.

Drive safely, everyone

DrEvil

not a medical professional
El Papa said:
Is it safe to take a shower when there's thunder and lightning?

Yes it's safe. Your water comes in from pipes in the ground, you'd have to have a direct strike to your water main which is near impossible, then it'd also have to be exposed so that the current can travel in the water as opposed to immediately being grounded since it's already hitting the ground.

So if they're doing water main maintenance on your street (have they dug up the sidewalk?), then don't shower during a storm. Otherwise, go nuts.

If you were swimming outdoors, however.. have fun.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
My parents always told me that when I was a kid there was a tornado in Costa Mesa where we lived that ripped a tree out of the front yard. I never thought to look it up but I just did and apparently it was a category 2 in 1982. Awesome.

So my roommate just tole me she drove through downtown long beach and cars were flooded up to their windows...I dunno how much she's exaggerating though

Vinci

Danish
Borgnine said:
My parents always told me that when I was a kid there was a tornado in Costa Mesa where we lived that ripped a tree out of the front yard. I never thought to look it up but I just did and apparently it was a category 2 in 1982. Awesome.

Our last big one pierced tree trunks with blades of grass.

No, I'm not fucking kidding.

It's about time we get some damn good rain...now it won't be so damn dry where it causes another FIRESTORM!!

That shit blows! I had to evacuate twice :(

noisome07

Banned
layzie1989 said:
So my roommate just tole me she drove through downtown long beach and cars were flooded up to their windows...I dunno how much she's exaggerating though

She might be but on KCAL9 some guy is in his kayak rowing around the streets haha

black_vegeta said:
It's about time we get some damn good rain...now it won't be so damn dry where it causes another FIRESTORM!!

That shit blows! I had to evacuate twice :(

Dry or Wet winters have little affect on whether the summer/fall is on firestorm watch. If it's wet, there's more brush and overgrown mountain sides with fuel. If it's dry, there's no moisture to help prevent. Sort of a double edged sword. Just get used to firestorms in SoCal. It's like hurricanes on the east coast.

AMUSIX

Tornados...in LA..I know I've seen this movie...

I'm in San Diego, and so far no announcements of a tornado watch, but I am watching palm trees go 45 degrees...makes me think I should just close up the store..

freshair

58516114.jpg

58516240-4ce9f3ff7d6eee101277adaf03.jpg

(from a friend's twitter)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom