• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I play The Legend of Zelda for the first time ever

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Last night I decided to play the original Zelda for the first time. I had never done it! It was an interesting experience.

I started playing and wandered around for about 10 minutes. It struck me how open the game actually was. Since I bought it on Virtual Console and did not get the original box and manual, the game's introduction was pretty perplexing. You just get dropped into this pretty big world and you get to wander around. So I wandered around! I thought this was pretty challenging, as I was struggling to find some rupees to buy bombs and stay alive. Heart drops are not nearly as common as they are in Zelda nowadays...

After that, I got pretty frustrated just wandering around, so I pulled up a map. I followed that pretty closely and managed to get my heart containers to about five, and I got a better sword, a better shield, and lots of money. This made the game much more enjoyable. Bombing and burning random spots on the map was pretty weird-- I understand that they were going for discovery, but sometimes I felt like things were pushed a little too far in that direction (burn the fifth bush of the third row, etc).

I went to the first dungeon. The first Zelda I have played was Zelda 3, so I expected the dungeons to be pretty similar. I guess they aren't so much! Before I got bored, I managed to complete the first four dungeons. They're not really very puzzle oriented. You can generally walk around and whack things and get through the dungeons. Cool dungeon music. Got a bunch of the familiar Zelda items, like a boomerang, a bow, and...a raft? That was new.

Overall, fun experience, but I ended up getting a little bored. Seemed like the game could be completed in a few hours if you knew where you were going. I think it might be pretty frustrating without a guide telling you to bomb random things and throw whatever into various fountains.

The game I thought was the closest to replicating the "discovery" aspect of the experience these days was Demon's Souls. I wouldn't mind the Zelda series getting back some of that orientation.

Y2Kev said:
Last night I decided to play the original Zelda for the first time. I had never done it! It was an interesting experience.

I started playing and wandered around for about 10 minutes. It struck me how open the game actually was. Since I bought it on Virtual Console and did not get the original box and manual, the game's introduction was pretty perplexing. You just get dropped into this pretty big world and you get to wander around. So I wandered around! I thought this was pretty challenging, as I was struggling to find some rupees to buy bombs and stay alive. Heart drops are not nearly as common as they are in Zelda nowadays...

After that, I got pretty frustrated just wandering around, so I pulled up a map. I followed that pretty closely and managed to get my heart containers to about five, and I got a better sword, a better shield, and lots of money. This made the game much more enjoyable. Bombing and burning random spots on the map was pretty weird-- I understand that they were going for discovery, but sometimes I felt like things were pushed a little too far in that direction (burn the fifth bush of the third row, etc).

I went to the first dungeon. The first Zelda I have played was Zelda 3, so I expected the dungeons to be pretty similar. I guess they aren't so much! Before I got bored, I managed to complete the first four dungeons. They're not really very puzzle oriented. You can generally walk around and whack things and get through the dungeons. Cool dungeon music. Got a bunch of the familiar Zelda items, like a boomerang, a bow, and...a raft? That was new.

Overall, fun experience, but I ended up getting a little bored. Seemed like the game could be completed in a few hours if you knew where you were going. I think it might be pretty frustrating without a guide telling you to bomb random things and throw whatever into various fountains.

The first quest I can almost complete from memory. The second quest? That shit is random. I remember having a dream where you used the step ladder to cross a river (near the waterfall) and bomb. Sure enough, we tried that a few places and it worked.

That's how awesome it was. I dreamed about playing the game and solved a puzzle in it.

selig

Banned
I also played Zelda 1 on VC first and the one thing I have to say is: Damn, the Zelda-series was perfect back then already.

My first Zelda was Links Awakening (well, played Alttp at a friends place a bit), so I always thought the boomerang was a rather special item. But no, it´s there in the very first Zelda-game.

You´ll find so many elements that are used by later Zelda-games, too. And the difficulty of Zelda 1 is only a result of the lack of diagonal movement. That really fucks things up. If it wasnt for that restriction, Zelda 1 would be as well playable as Links Awakening.

In the end, im not sure what stance to pick:

1- Damn, the Zelda-series hasnt evolved that much. It´s almost the same.

2 - Damn, the Zelda-series got it perfectly right with the first game already.

jaypah

welcome to my childhood, enjoy your stay. i got that game when i was eight and it really seemed like a big adventure. all of the different sections of the map really stood out in my mind as distinct places. it was fun to wander around and find yourself in a part of the map you hadn't been to. approaching the game with a 2010 state of mind i can see the random bombing and bush burning being a bit of a chore but man, back then i thought it was awesome, especially when you finally found something. man, i should play through it again soon. really a great game.

Y2Kev

I want to be very careful when I complain about that kind of stuff, because the modern alternative seems to be "have an enormously long tutorial" or "have a gigantic arrow telling you where to go" or "have someone over the radio tell you what to do." And I really do like that it's not at all like that in the original Zelda! But there's some stuff I might never get without a guide. :\

I guess...that's not a bad thing?
Bisnic said:
What what what?

ww0qd3.gif

Dina

1-6 are pretty easy to find, but 7 took me a long ass time to find it. You needed a hint in the printed paper manual to find it.

8 was actually easier to find. Never beat it though, always lose my life at the giant firesnake in 8.

EmCeeGramr said:
dodongo dislikes smoke

Ganondorf dislikes silver arrows.

Y2Kev

EmCeeGramr said:
dodongo dislikes smoke
Yeah, see, I didn't actually know that the triceratops thing was a Dodongo, so that I was bombing it was completely a coincidence.

usea

Y2Kev said:
Correct. That's just the kind of game it is. There is no perfect game, and there are rarely "correct" ways to do things. There is room for all kinds of games, some which will appeal to more people than others.

Games that have basically no instruction and you have to discover everything often by just randomly wandering and trying stuff out are certainly not that popular anymore. But they're definitely an interesting experience.

Vinci

Danish
Y2Kev said:
I want to be very careful when I complain about that kind of stuff, because the modern alternative seems to be "have an enormously long tutorial" or "have a gigantic arrow telling you where to go" or "have someone over the radio tell you what to do." And I really do like that it's not at all like that in the original Zelda! But there's some stuff I might never get without a guide. :\

It was pretty typical back then to get dropped into a game with little explanation. Remarkably, we still played and enjoyed them. All the tutorials and hand-holding nowadays in gaming are so annoying.

Burning random bushes was the best! Did you ever try stabbing or burning an NPC yet?
You'll get a nice reaction.
In all seriousness though, I envy you. I had the game on the NES as soon as it was out, and at the time, it was incredible. That open world, and sense of exploration is really what Zelda needs to be. The feeling of being alone and still trying to solve things, the feeling of having half of a heart left and praying the next enemy you kill will leave a heart so that annoying alarm goes away.
Indeed Demon's Souls does a great job at providing this type of atmosphere, and that's what makes it so great. The era of games that don't hold your hand needs to make a return.

Y2Kev said:

Not a bad thing, it's just the way things were back in the day. I'm surprised you never played the original LoZ before, Y2Kev. But I think that can help you to realize how much games really have evolved. Even the NES days had games that would be considered to be unplayable today. But with the help of gaming mags/guides and maybe game genie we were able to overcome the challenges back in the day. :D

usea

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Me neither, at least not past the first few minutes.

It's all coming out in this thread :D
Admission: I think Zelda games are pretty bad, and I play them so I can talk to my friends and acquaintances about them. They're big, important games, so I play them even if I don't enjoy them all that much. (I did mostly enjoy wind waker though)

After TP I swore I wouldn't play the next Zelda game unless there were big changes. I dunno if I'll hold out though.

SuperEnemyCrab said:
I used to laugh my ass off at the "grumble" man (as we called him as kids) that you need to feed a mutton chop or whatever to proceed.
Grumble grumble! I remember going to my friends the next day after seeing that and being all like "wft does that mean?" lol

jett

D-Member
Y2Kev said:
The NES came out 2 years before I was born. The first console I got was an SNES on my third or fourth birthday.

I didn't know you were a baby! :p

I feel teh old now. There are probably people in this forum that have never played on an SNES.

Gino

The eastmost peninsula is the secret.

I beat the original when it came out on gameboy a few years ago for the first time. I had played it as a kid but I was too young for the difficulty. I have played and beaten all the console Zelda games after the NES.

I did use a faq to find some of the things but I really loved the original.

Y2Kev

jett said:

I feel teh old now. There are probably people in this forum that have never played on an SNES.
I own an NES now, but never then. My step brother had an NES, but he was poor and this was many years later. So we only played gologo 13.

Dina said:
1-6 are pretty easy to find, but 7 took me a long ass time to find it. You needed a hint in the printed paper manual to find it.

No way. The game teaches you to use the flute at ponds to travel. There's one pond that reveals the entrance to level 7 when you use the flute. 6 was harder to find, it's in the graveyard if I remember right.

Y2Kev

MomoPufflet said:
Did you teethe on it or something?
When did you guys start playing video games? I remember my parents holding me up to the Pac-Man machine at the arcade and playing like that...

my first Zelda was OoT on the N64... i just walked around in that village and didn't know what i was supposed to do.
little by little it runed out to be my most intense gaming experience i think. I still hear the music in my head every DAY.... and it's been so long ago..

nocode

I never played the first zelda until a couple of months ago either (only had a c64 when I was younger) but I was pleasantly surprised as well. Great game. I have a friend that swears the second game is much better, but I've never gotten anywhere in it. I can never find the fucking candle (the first thing you need to find) and give up.:lol

eXistor

Holy Order Sol said:
The game I thought was the closest to replicating the "discovery" aspect of the experience these days was Demon's Souls. I wouldn't mind the Zelda series getting back some of that orientation.
If it wasn't on your radar already, might I suggest 3d Dot Game heroes for PS3? It basically apes Zelda 1 and similar games and does so with flair.

Y2Kev

I also have Zelda 2 but I never put any serious effort into playing it. Maybe later!

Y2Kev said:
When did you guys start playing video games? I remember my parents holding me up to the Pac-Man machine at the arcade and playing like that...
Yeah me too, since I was about to from what my mom says. Got my NES when I was 4, which was 1990.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Rustymonke said:
It's kinda sad that there's a generation of 360/PS3 gamers who never played a Zelda game. I blame our education system...
There is also a generation of kids who think 2D gameplay is old shit.

eXistor

Y2Kev said:
I also have Zelda 2 but I never put any serious effort into playing it. Maybe later!
You really should, it has some obscure things to find, so I'd actually recommend using a faq if you're stuck, but otherwise it's severely underrated. I love the controls in it, kind of reminds me of Demon's Souls in a way now that I think of it.

jett

D-Member
Y2Kev said:
I own an NES now, but never then. My step brother had an NES, but he was poor and this was many years later. So we only played gologo 13.

Excellent. Golgo, btw. :p

I started gaming in 1988 with a Commodore 128/64. Good times.

usea

Y2Kev said:
I don't remember my first game, but I played games on Atari, Tandy 1000, and an NES all around the same couple years. I was born in 83, so I was like 2-4 during this time.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
jett said:

There are kids out there whose first console was the PS2.

scary.png

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
devildog820 said:
The first quest I can almost complete from memory. The second quest? That shit is random. I remember having a dream where you used the step ladder to cross a river (near the waterfall) and bomb. Sure enough, we tried that a few places and it worked.

That's how awesome it was. I dreamed about playing the game and solved a puzzle in it.

I've had a couple gaming dreams that helped me solve a puzzle. I dreamt of a 4 digit code that when used in the code interface in Wario Blast, unlocked everything in the game. That was crazy bizarre.

thetrin said:
I've had a couple gaming dreams that helped me solve a puzzle. I dreamt of a 4 digit code that when used in the code interface in Wario Blast, unlocked everything in the game. That was crazy bizarre.
That's totally awesome

Top Bottom