• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nomura has spoken: "No FFVII remake yet, Cloud might make another appearance soon."

duckroll

This week's Famitsu magazine had a special tribute feature on Final Fantasy VII's main character - Cloud Strife. It showcased his appearances throughout the FF and KH franchises, and also had a short reflection on the character by the creator Tetsuya Nomura. Nomura concludes the reflection by stating that he is aware that there are many rumors about a remake of FFVII, and that the fans clearly want it, but he repeats that as of right now development has not started rolling. But he adds that it is very possible that Cloud will guest-star in another game in the near future, in a similar way to how he was featured in Dissidia Final Fantasy.

The comparison to Dissidia implies to me that Cloud might be playable in another Square Enix game, either Dissidia 2, or something else, as opposed to simply having a cameo appearance like in Kingdom Hearts games. I'll also like to note that Nomura is a really honest and candid guy in general, so if he is officially saying that there is no development yet on FFVIIr, then we definitely won't be seeing it on shelves anytime soon at all.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
*sigh*

I guess it makes to much sense to not make FF VIIr :(

it fucking would print money!

oh and thanks for the info, atleast he's a nice guy :D

Apath

Why the fuck don't they just remake it? Fans have been clamoring for it for years, and yet they just keep releasing crappy spin-offs, one after another. And this is coming from someone who doesn't even like FFVII.

kuYuri

Considering how busy they are with Fabula Nova Crystalis, no one should be expecting an FFVII remake, at least anytime in the next 5 years.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
g35twinturbo said:
*sigh*

I guess it makes to much sense to not make FF VIIr :(

it fucking would print money!
The strange part is, it's not like Square has any problem whoring out the characters/games to remakes, spinoffs or whatever. I'm not entirely sure what the hold up is on that.

Rolf NB

And so the wheels keep turning. More shit nobody ever asked for. And they say Wii fans have it bad.

Speaking of which, are you ignoring my PM duckroll :(

Blablurn

final-fantasy-vii-technical-demo-for-ps3-20060523022918546.jpg

:'(

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Kagari said:
FFVII and Versus XIII take place in the same world.
I wouldn't put it past them.
Is Versus XIII still being made? It's been forever since I've heard anything on it. I figured they either scrapped it or will rename it.

VegaShinra

Dacvak said:
Is Versus XIII still being made? It's been forever since I've heard anything on it. I figured they either scrapped it or will rename it.
It's very much in development. They share some info here and there.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Dacvak said:

Yes, it was at Jump Festa 2010 last month. Should have a full reveal at E3 in June.

Empty

Surely this isn't that surprising, aren't most of the big teams at S-E rather busy at the moment on some big titles like Final Fantasy 14, Versus 13 and of course resting after finishing 13 development. I wouldn't have expected it to be in development really, people will demand 13 level production values and delivering on the game, it needs to be a major development and i don't think the timing is right now.

duckroll

Kenak said:
Why the fuck don't they just remake it? Fans have been clamoring for it for years, and yet they just keep releasing crappy spin-offs, one after another. And this is coming from someone who doesn't even like FFVII.

He didn't say they're NOT going to make it though. He's just playing down expectations that it will be coming out anytime soon or that it has secretly been in development. By acknowledging the interest, I'm pretty sure Nomura is admitting that it is planned eventually. He just says that there hasn't been any development or progress on it yet.

Kagari said:
Yes, it was at Jump Festa 2010 last month. Should have a full reveal at E3 in June.

Or Square Enix Party 2010 in May. Believe!

jiggle

Is it possible they don't want to remake them out of order (among other reasons)? V and VI DS not even out yet.

duckroll said:
Or Square Enix Party 2010 in May. Believe!

Oooo is this confirmed?

Squishy

While I secretly hope for a FFVII remake, I know that if it does eventually happen it probably won't live up to my expectations. So on one hand i'm relieved, yet on the other I still long for a remake, even if I will be disappointed.

As for this next appearance of Cloud, I really hope it's not another spin-off game (i.e Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus)

KingDizzi

Banned
SE clearly has a reason for not remaking the game, what it is though I'm not sure. The one reason which comes to mind is that they do not think it will sell well, people on gaming forums screaming for a remake is nice and all however it's not representative of the mass market.

Were that the case a game such as Uncharted 2 would have passed 5 million long ago. Whatever the case is I'm greatly interested in Versus so would rather Nomura started releasing some information about the game, how after all these years we have still not seen gameplay is beyond me. :(

Dacvak said:
It'll probably be released at the end of the year.

As for the 'appearance', i'm thinking Dissidia 2 for sure, please with 100% less shitty story and 100% more awesome gameplay. kthx :)

Empty

Out of interest, is there anywhere near the same level of nostalgia and adulation towards FFVII in Japan? Of course it was a huge title in the west that opened up the genre to millions of new players, but is it as well loved in the east, and would a remake be that popular there.

Sacha

duckroll said:
No, but do you believe? I want to believe!

I want to believe too !

Wouldn't it be a little early for a Dissidia 2 ? I mean, Universal Tuning was just released 4 months ago. But then again, Dissidia was announced at the SQEX Party in 2008. So if they're doing another one this year, maybe... I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO THINK ANYMORE.

Shadow780

Empty said:
Out of interest, is there anywhere near the same level of nostalgia and adulation towards FFVII in Japan? Of course it was a huge title in the west that opened up the genre to millions of new players, but is it as well loved in the east, and would a remake be that popular there.

I think so.

It was 2 years ago tho.

Sigh... Square really needs to get this over with. I could care less. Don't get me wrong, i liked FFVII, but this is just ridiculous. It's just like Cross Game Chat. Every few months rumors stir, and then it's the same old "We have no plans at this time", or "We're looking into it" BS. I'd rather Square just work on something new...Like a FFV remake, that will actually make me want to finish the game.:lol

duckroll

Empty said:

Yes. A FFVII remake would be huge.

Yazus

Nomura is working on too many project right now. Its obvious that FFVII remake would be directed by him and right now it needs too manpower and effort from him and SE, so they are not (re)making FFVII yet.

After Agito is finished I think with "only" FFXIII Versus Nomura will either start working on Dissidia 2 or FFVII Remake.

Or maybe some other spinn off/Dissidia 2 and FFVII remake is set for next gen consoles.

Platy

Kagari said:

Well ... Versus 13 is like 13+1 .... wich is 14 ... wich is 2 number 7 put togheter !

=P

My Vote goes for a psp exclusive date sim that features cloud in a dress as a hidden character .. will probably be named
Final Fantasy Tactics 2

duckroll

Yazus said:
Nomura is working on too many project right now. Its obvious that FFVII remake would be directed by him and right now it needs too manpower and effort from him and SE, so they are not (re)making FFVII yet.

I don't really agree. I think Toriyama will most likely direct a FFVII remake. After all, he is Kitase's chosen successor on the FF series, and he directed the FFVII realtime PS3 tech demo.

After Agito is finished I think with "only" FFXIII Versus Nomura will either start working on Dissidia 2 or FFVII Remake.

Nomura is only creative producer and character designer on Dissidia, 3rd Birthday and Agito. He's not directing any of them. He directs all the Kingdom Hearts games and is directing Versus XIII now. All action RPGs if you noticed. :)

jiggle

Yazus said:
Nomura is working on too many project right now.

but he's not
of the titles we know
he only has 3 games left,iirc

FFvsXIII
Agito
3rd Birthday

that's not much for someone as prolific as him

duckroll

jiggle said:
but he's not
of the titles we know

FFvsXIII
Agito
3rd Birthday

What about his 2 unannounced projects, and possibly 2 other KH games in pre-production? :lol

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Angry Grimace said:
The strange part is, it's not like Square has any problem whoring out the characters/games to remakes, spinoffs or whatever. I'm not entirely sure what the hold up is on that.

exactly.

I understand the whole venturing outside of what you do and wanting to try things.

Okay that's cool and all but damn, the massive appeal of a FFVIIr is astounding, it's instant money.

and don't get me started on a legit PE sequel

CancerBullet

Neo Member
Kagari said:

I did not know this. I absolutely loved the the world they created for FFVII.
Excitement +1
and btw I'm probably one of the few who doesn't want a remake.

Shadow780

jiggle said:
but he's not
of the titles we know

FFvsXIII
Agito
3rd Birthday

I'd like to think this means he's giving his all in Versus.

ZERO SHIFT!

duckroll

jiggle said:
still not enough XD

edit: 2 KH in preproduction?

He's mentioned that the next KH will be a lot more "official" than a spin off, but might not be KH3. At the same time he has another idea which he explained to the producer recently, which seems to have gotten a sort of "Huh?" response. The way I see it though, Nomura almost always works on at least 2 KH games at a single time anyway. CoM and KH2 were developed at the same time, Re:CoM and KH2FM+ at the same time, 358/2 Days, BbS, and Coded at the same time, etc. No reason to believe they will change this formula since it has been working well.

CancerBullet

Neo Member
jiggle said:
but he's not
of the titles we know

FFvsXIII
Agito
3rd Birthday

Is it safe to assume that after those 3 are out the door that KHIII would be his next project?

BlazingDarkness said:
Read the black bit :p

I did =P

Top Bottom