• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nomura has spoken: "No FFVII remake yet, Cloud might make another appearance soon."

Wrath2X said:
Good!

I don't want to see a remake anytime soon, too much will be changed plus they'll change from the asshole we all know and love to the emo whiny bitch they made him.
This this this!!!
Finally, someone who understands it.
Also, voice acting will make me hate characters I used to love.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
bcn-ron said:
True that.For what it's worth the PSN rerelease of FF VII reportedly sold 100k in its first two weeks and stuck around the charts for 4+ months. The force is strong with this game.
It's one thing to sell a bunch of $10 ports on a digital platform where people have a tendency to indulge in nostalgia.

It is a completely different thing to convince people to pay full retail price for the opportunity to replay an experience they've already had years ago. And how do they get new players into the series? By rehashing a game over ten years old? Who would that really interest?

It doesn't exactly seem fair to say a remake of FF7 will sell well because a brand new game taking place in that world with some of those characters on the PSP sold well.

Cloud himself is an utterly terrible character. It's a joke that he has become so popular. He was just in the right place at the right time to emotionally vulnerable teenage anime fans.

Haunted

lol @ more Cloud cameos

They'll remake V and VI before VII.

edit: holy shit, I remember being blown away by the FFVII PS3 tech demo, it doesn't look so hot anymore. Fuck, the tech moves fast nowadays.

Cut it with the FFVII crap. Square has wasted too much time and effort on fan service when they could have been making new, better games.

Make a new classic God damn it.

RDreamer

I'm not sure I even want a FFVII remake after what they did to Cloud's character in Advent Children. Cloud was never like that in the game, and I have a feeling they'd push that personality into any remake they did.

After replaying VII a few months ago, too, I realized they'd have to change quite a bit. There's a lot of kind of silly things still left over from the SNES days that still worked and had a lot of charm, but only because the graphics were still very abstract. I don't think a lot of the scenes would work quite as well in a realistic HD style, so there'd need to be a lot of rewriting.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i'm playing FF7 right now, and i still love it. it's got its problems as much as any other game, but it's stuffed to the gills with really great ideas that could be put to great use in a remake. the only problem is that when i envision said remake it's the "perfect world, ideal version" remake, which i'm not sure is the sort of game square would make at this point. as others have said, it's possible that rather than expanding the stuff that's actually really good and interesting, they'd emphasize the shitty parts.

RDreamer said:
After replaying VII a few months ago, too, I realized they'd have to change quite a bit. There's a lot of kind of silly things still left over from the SNES days that still worked and had a lot of charm, but only because the graphics were still very abstract. I don't think a lot of the scenes would work quite as well in a realistic HD style, so there'd need to be a lot of rewriting.

the removal of these silly, charming bits is one of the things i like the least about modern games in the series. i agree about the incongruity between them and the "hd realism," but maybe i'd just rather the series never went that route in the first place.

in other words, FF9 or bust.

GIVE ME CHIBI OR GIVE ME DEATH

RDreamer

beelzebozo said:
i'm playing FF7 right now, and i still love it. it's got its problems as much as any other game, but it's stuffed to the gills with really great ideas that could be put to great use in a remake. the only problem is that when i envision said remake it's the "perfect world, ideal version" remake, which i'm not sure is the sort of game square would make at this point. as others have said, it's possible that rather than expanding the stuff that's actually really good and interesting, they'd emphasize the shitty parts.

the removal of these silly, charming bits is one of the things i like the least about modern games in the series. i agree about the incongruity between them and the "hd realism," but maybe i'd just rather the series never went that route in the first place.

in other words, FF9 or bust.

Hey, I'd love an HD FF9-esque chibi FF again, but I doubt it'll happen. And judging from the tech demo I doubt any FFVII remake would retain any of the abstract characters from the original, too. It'd probably be in a more realistic HD style like the latest games, and all that chibi charming stuff would just be really really awkward like that.

RDreamer said:
I'm not sure I even want a FFVII remake after what they did to Cloud's character in Advent Children. Cloud was never like that in the game, and I have a feeling they'd push that personality into any remake they did.

So true. Now most people go around thinking Cloud was an emo from the start. The movie tarnished his image.

Android18a said:
PS3 HD version of Dissidia, please :D

Dissidia is my favorite PSP game but to be honest, i don't think it'll make a great PS3 game. The production values for Dissidia aren't quite PS3-calibre. The cutscenes, the gameplay and the graphics were designed for the PSP in mind. But yeah, an HD Final Fantasy fighting game would be kicka$$. Something that could rival the SF's and Tekken's :)

Mr_Brit

Banned
Ballistictiger said:
So true. Now most people go around thinking Cloud was an emo from the start. The movie tarnished his image.

People who have seen Advent Children Complete and played Crisis Core would know that Cloud's anguish is caused by the feelings of regret he has over not being able to save Aerith/disappoiting Zack by not being the living legacy he wanted. Even Tifa narrates towards the end of the movie that Cloud lost the 'feeling' he had 2 years ago whilst fighting Sephiroth but has now regained it. At the end ofthe movie Aerith tells him she doesn't blame him and Zack forgives him and he turns back to the Cloud we all know and love.

Mael

beelzebozo said:
Then this is Square-Enix for you then :
Batman_Lee.png

Mr_Brit said:
People who have seen Advent Children Complete and played Crisis Core would know that Cloud's anguish is caused by the feelings of regret he has over not being able to save Aerith/disappoiting Zack by not being the living legacy he wanted. Even Tifa narrates towards the end of the movie that Cloud lost the 'feeling' he had 2 years ago whilst fighting Sephiroth but has now regained it. At the end ofthe movie Aerith tells him she doesn't blame him and Zack forgives him and he turns back to the Cloud we all know and love.
I've watched and played both and I agree. It won't stop others from calling Cloud emo sadly.

WickedLaharl said:
please... no more games/movies set in ffvii's world. crisis core and advent children were bad enough :(

what??? Sephiroth was a bada$$ in crisis core. :D if ur talking about the gamelay, that's another issue.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
The reason they haven't and won't remake the game for some time is really quite simple. The expectations. FFVIIr would have to look incredible to meet people's expectations. The problem with this is the cost; general rule of thumb is when you remake an older game it should cost LESS to produce than the original.

Developers effectively play the remake card when they're in need of quick cash. They don't see it as reinventing the game for a new generation or giving a game the technical treatment it "deserves". It's quick and easy money. FFVIIr however, would be the one case where it's the exact opposite. The expectations would be so astronomical that any perceived corner cutting would be decried by it's insane fans and wouldn't sell.

In other words, what they're waiting for is for the development costs to go down.

wRATH2x

Banned
The original Cloud was an egotistical asshole, and I'm pretty sure they'll change that with the remake.

Plus they would try the hardest making Aeriths death bigger than what it was.

duckroll

Garl_Vinland said:
For sure. It's the best RPG for the PSP imo.

Excluding BbS, since you obviously have not played that, what are the serious contenders on the PSP in terms of RPGs? :p

RurouniZel said:
The reason they haven't and won't remake the game for some time is really quite simple. The expectations. FFVIIr would have to look incredible to meet people's expectations. The problem with this is the cost; general rule of thumb is when you remake an older game it should cost LESS to produce than the original.

Developers effectively play the remake card when they're in need of quick cash. They don't see it as reinventing the game for a new generation or giving a game the technical treatment it "deserves". It's quick and easy money. FFVIIr however, would be the one case where it's the exact opposite. The expectations would be so astronomical that any perceived corner cutting would be decried by it's insane fans and wouldn't sell.

In other words, what they're waiting for is for the development costs to go down.

So why did they remake Chain of Memories? It took as long as the original to make, clearly cost more, had higher production values, and it was packed in free with Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix + in Japan, and sold at budget price in the US a year later. :p

I always dream what would happen if my 2 fav game companies, Crytek and Square Enix, assemble their tech and artistic talent and make new RPGs.

I know that SE makes very beautiful games but with smth like Cryengine 3, a FFVII remake would be awesome.:D

duckroll said:
Excluding BbS, since you obviously have not played that, what are the serious contenders on the PSP in terms of RPGs? :p

birth by step is so new, how can u expect me to play that when it hasn't even been released domestically here? Ur right, PSP doesn't have much RPG competition. Only the persona remake comes to mind and maybe the upcoming remake of Lunar.

duckroll

Garl_Vinland said:
birth by step is so new, how can u expect me to play that when it hasn't even been released domestically here? Ur right, PSP doesn't have much RPG competition. Only the persona remake comes to mind and maybe the upcoming remake of Lunar.

That's why I said EXCLUDING it, since you haven't played it! I don't expect most people to have played a brand new Japanese release. Just saying that outside of Square Enix, there isn't -any- competition for original RPGs with solid production values on the PSP. And even then, they have only released 2 so far. :lol

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I think asking what people would expect technically from a FF7 remake on PS3/360 (PC?) is a very interesting question.

I mean think about this from SE's perspective: would they do an element-by-element copy in order to please the fans, or just take the key points story and character-wise and fold it into new structure that fits with their current tech?

Which would be the better business decision, based on production cost versus anticipated return?

For example, would they have an expansive overworld plus towns and dungeons, or go for the more tunnel-like structure of FFX/XIII?

Would they go for a different style of battle-system? What's the key appeal? Is it the turn based style and its summon system, or does it just need to involve materia?

Would all the mini-games get cut - Chocobo breeding/racing, racing sections, Fort Condor, submarine battles, shooting coasters...

I really don't know which way they'd go. To be honest I'd hope they'd be as faithful to the original as possible, but I suspect they'd probably pin down key story points, characters, and go for a new retelling aimed at this generation's mass-market.

That I think is where this fierce argument about cost is coming from. The tech and financial investment in doing a point by point remake of FFVII with FFXIII quality visuals all-round, versus a new interpretation in the "modern" style is very different.

Aegus

Someone should lock up the decision makers at SE until they agree NEVER to remake FFVII. I love FFVII but seriously the current SE would ruin the game like the spinoffs have ruined the name of FFVII.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
duckroll said:
So why did they remake Chain of Memories? It took as long as the original to make, clearly cost more, had higher production values, and it was packed in free with Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix + in Japan, and sold at budget price in the US a year later. :p

I did forget chain of memories, so I will concede that. However I will add that while I'm sure it cost more than the original did, it was also not nearly as expensive to make as a FFVIIr would be and in Japan was packaged with Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix, so it wasn't even marketed as its own game.

duckroll said:
That's why I said EXCLUDING it, since you haven't played it! I don't expect most people to have played a brand new Japanese release. Just saying that outside of Square Enix, there isn't -any- competition for original RPGs with solid production values on the PSP. And even then, they have only released 2 so far. :lol

Do SRPGs count? And on a personal note, I didn't like Crisis Core anyways.

More on topic: I think a handheld remake would be just dandy, but the primary reason I want a FFVII remake is so they can proceed chronologically to the FFIX remake. C'mon, Square!

RDreamer

zeelman said:
Where's my FFV remake, Square Enix? :(

Seriously. I was excited after they did III and IV, since I expected a V remake, and then they did that Gaiden thing instead. I really hope they go back to making a V and then VI remake on DS or PSP. I'd buy either one in a heartbeat.

Ponn

Banned
Come on people, its obviously KH3 he's talking about. They already dropped a big hint of its announcement this year and this is another hint of it.

Bebpo

Banned
Ponn01 said:
Come on people, its obviously KH3 he's talking about. They already dropped a big hint of its announcement this year and this is another hint of it.

well about that "3"..... ^^;

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Dance In My Blood said:
It's one thing to sell a bunch of $10 ports on a digital platform where people have a tendency to indulge in nostalgia.

It is a completely different thing to convince people to pay full retail price for the opportunity to replay an experience they've already had years ago. And how do they get new players into the series? By rehashing a game over ten years old? Who would that really interest?

It doesn't exactly seem fair to say a remake of FF7 will sell well because a brand new game taking place in that world with some of those characters on the PSP sold well.

Cloud himself is an utterly terrible character. It's a joke that he has become so popular. He was just in the right place at the right time to emotionally vulnerable teenage anime fans.

Nothing in this post even comes close to the truth.

FFVII as a brand has continued to sell, regardless of the quality of the game/movie/T-Shirt in question. To even suggest that a remake wouldn't sell is baffling. Who would a remake interest? Those millions of people who continue to buy merchandise and spinoffs more than a decade after the actual FFVII.

You may not like it, but to ignore the fact that the brand is a sales juggernaut smacks of ignorance.

duckroll said:

Yes that is true. Most of the RPGs are just remakes. Crisis Core is sitting at the top :lol

duckroll

FFXIII is supposed to be a vision of the most futuristic FF.

Versus XIII is supposed to be a vision of what FF would be like in a modern day setting.

Agito XIII is supposed to be a vision of a more historical warfare FF like WW2 and Romance of the 3 Kingdoms.

duckroll

Lame.

It would be cool to get a game based in our world.

It is, sort of. It's obviously not "our world" because there are swords, magic, crystals, legends, etc which we don't have. But the locations and cities in Versus will be based on real cities in different countries to give it a real world feel while reflecting different nations and cultures. We've seen Tokyo and Venice so far.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
duckroll said:
I don't really agree. I think Toriyama will most likely direct a FFVII remake. After all, he is Kitase's chosen successor on the FF series, and he directed the FFVII realtime PS3 tech demo.
I wonder.

Didn't Kitase say long time ago in an interview that, if a FFVII remake would be made, he would let Nomura handle the direction? Besides, Nomura also said that after Versus XIII, he wants to focus on KH games and remake games (whatever that means), and with SE's president last comments, it seems the FFXIII team want to try something new, be it for their next FF or for a new IP.

I don't know, maybe I'm not interpreting things right.

Top Bottom