• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nomura has spoken: "No FFVII remake yet, Cloud might make another appearance soon."

rataven

StuBurns said:
I wonder about this, from what I can tell, it seems most people tend to prefer their first FF experience, I think it's just knowing games could be like that.
I've played every FF on release more or less (had to share I and II(IV) with my brother) and I prefer VII more than any other FF. Cloud's one of the top reasons why.

He's not cool. He's not nice. And he's not emo. He's a jerk, insecure, and all around kind of douchy. He's mentally insane. He's a terroist. He CROSS-DRESSES. And through all that, he wants to be better. All of this made his character feel like such a refreshing change after what I felt where relatively "safe" characters of the earlier FFs and other games I'd played growing up.

His appearances outside of VII have been a crapshoot though. Crisis Core was tolerable, Advent Children was not. Dirge of Cerberus he's hardly in. He's ok enough in KH and CoM, and just horrible, terrible and stupid in KHII.

But Square showed promise with his character in Dissidia. I honestly feel like they're listening. That's the first game he's appeared in where I felt like I was meeting the Cloud from VII again. Keep that up Square.

rataven said:
But Square showed promise with his character in Dissidia. I honestly feel like they're listening. That's the first game he's appeared in where I felt like I was meeting the Cloud from VII again. Keep that up Square.

Agreed but didn't u find Cloud's voice hideous in Dissidia?? I think the same voice actor played him in Advent Children but i usually listen to the Japanese track.

aeolist

Banned
Kenak said:
Why the fuck don't they just remake it? Fans have been clamoring for it for years, and yet they just keep releasing crappy spin-offs, one after another. And this is coming from someone who doesn't even like FFVII.
The crappy spinoffs sell and a full remake would cost God knows how much money

rataven

Garl_Vinland said:
Agreed but didn't u find Cloud's voice hideous in Dissidia?? I think the same voice actor played him in Advent Children but i usually listen to the Japanese track.
Honestly, yea, it was bad. I liked Steve Burton well enough in AC and KH, but he was HORRIBLE in Dissidia. It may just have been the direction, I'm not sure. But since he's not a professional VA I cut him slack in the past, though I'd like to see them get Cloud a new voice actor for future appearances.

madara

Ugh I think I am too old for this hobby when for the hundredth time we have a thread with multiple pages already all about frothing for Cloud and FFVII promises again. Give me FFVI with iconic high art. Heck anything like FF4-6 actually. I think I will head to the west and diminish, the time of old school gamers is over.

Kyzer said:
Why "basically"? This is the best idea for a Final Fantasy game since Final Fantasy.
Maybe... I just expected more originality. If it makes a good game then i'm all for it, provided Nomura doesn't retcon a Shakespearean classic. :D

Kyzer

Banned
Why remake 7 as an epic PS3 adventure when they haven't ported it to a handheld yet? Surely that will maximize the free moniez?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Kenak said:
Why the fuck don't they just remake it? Fans have been clamoring for it for years, and yet they just keep releasing crappy spin-offs, one after another. And this is coming from someone who doesn't even like FFVII.

Because the amount of money needed for the type of remake FFVII fans want could be better spent with a new mainline Final Fantasy.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
FFVII-2 > FFVIIR.
Regulus Tera said:
Because the amount of money needed for the type of remake FFVII fans want could be better spent with a new mainline Final Fantasy.
Considering that it would probably be more succesful sales-wise than any new mainline Final Fantasy, that isn't an excuse.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Regulus Tera said:
Why? This doesn't actually make sense. FF has been a series in decline since VIII, surely a remake of VII would be more popular than an entry made with money "better spent with a new mainline Final Fantasy.". The budget would also potentially be smaller.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
CruxisMana said:
But nobody likes Dirge of Cerberus.
I like it.

And I'm clearly talking about a true sequel to the game, with classic FF gameplay, and not another spin-off. If I was counting spin-offs, it would be FFVII-5 (or -6 if you consider Advent Children).

Maybe SE is waiting for the PS3 install base to be larger so they can get more sales. I'm betting on Dissidia 2 that Nomura is hinting at. Expectations are just too high for a remake.

Kyzer said:
Yeah right, you wish that was it.
:D

If they focus on handheld remakes then we'd get a console remake in.... about 2 years PSP development time + however long it takes to make a PS3 version. We don't want to prolong the wait by wanting something like that.

Kyzer

Banned
Brazil said:
I like it.
Eeehhhh Brasileiros safados.

zerokoolpsx said:
Maybe SE is waiting for the PS3 install base to be larger so they can get more sales. I'm betting on Dissidia 2 that Nomura is hinting at. Expectations are just too high for a remake.

Why do I feel like this is what they did for FFXIII?

Brazil said:
And I'm clearly talking about a true sequel to the game, with classic FF gameplay, and not another spin-off. If I was counting spin-offs, it would be FFVII-5 (or -6 if you consider Advent Children).

A true sequel could be okay, but I'm still not much of a fan of the whole Genesis subplot they edited in.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Y2Kev said:
Why? This doesn't actually make sense. FF has been a series in decline since VIII, surely a remake of VII would be more popular than an entry made with money "better spent with a new mainline Final Fantasy.". The budget would also potentially be smaller.

The problem is that FFVII is a huge game. It's not like you can just port the assets from the PSX game and upscale them -you actually would have to make everything from scratch, as if it were a new title. The only possible way I could see it happening is if they dumped out massive portions from the game.
Probably towns and mini-games!

Brazil said:
Considering that it would probably be more succesful sales-wise than any new mainline Final Fantasy, that isn't an excuse.

No FF remake has ever sold more than new entries in the main series.

I really can't say I care. I mean, a remake of FF7 would be cool but i'd rather they put all that effort into a new good IP. Squenix has been hurting for one of those for a while.

rataven

It's too bad they never ported Before Crisis. I always thought a sequel or prequel or whatever revolving around the Turks and Shinra would be marvelous.

Square has done a lot of remakes in the past few years. They probably have a pretty damn good idea as to how high they can expect the sales to be given product. I'm also pretty sure that they determined that they wouldn't make any money on a full blown FFVII remake or they probably would have started by now given the rabidity of the fanbase.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
RDreamer said:
I'm not sure I even want a FFVII remake after what they did to Cloud's character in Advent Children. Cloud was never like that in the game, and I have a feeling they'd push that personality into any remake they did.

I always found it funny that they cast Squall instead of Cloud in Advent Children.

Kyoufu

bmf said:
Square has done a lot of remakes in the past few years. They probably have a pretty damn good idea as to how high they can expect the sales to be given product. I'm also pretty sure that they determined that they wouldn't make any money on a full blown FFVII remake or they probably would have started by now given the rabidity of the fanbase.

Yes you're right, they wouldn't make ANY money on a highly-desired game.

You should mentor me.

All I want is another FFVII game with the same battle system and graphics as the original. FFVII universe just does not work with modern day graphics.

Kyzer

Banned
H_Prestige said:
All I want is another FFVII game with the same battle system and graphics as the original. FFVII universe just does not work with modern day graphics.

But it would work with FFXIII's battle system.
believe!

Kyoufu said:
Yes you're right, they wouldn't make ANY money on a highly-desired game.

You should mentor me.
It's a level of degrees and the difference between players looking for a new experience and those just looking to revisit what was nostalgic to them. I'm sure that a remake sells a fraction of what a new game does, and if it costs just as much to make, then they might have trouble making money off of it.

Hobbun

H_Prestige said:

I agree with you about keeping the same battle system, but the same graphics? Why? I mean you can purchase FF VII on the PSN if you want to do that.

Granted, SE could clean the graphics up for HD televisions, but that wouldn't be enough to release a remake.

I don't understand why you think giving HD graphics to FF VII would not work? I think it would look great. They could get rid of those lego arms with the characters, the battle animations could be greatly improved and could you imagine KotR in HD?

Of course as Duckroll said, there is no indication of FF VIIr at this time, but if it happened, SE is going to change it up and put enough work in it to make it worthwhile.

Kyzer said:
But it would work with FFXIII's battle system.
believe!

Ugh, no thanks. Getting less and less of my preferable battle systems with the new games coming out already, don't need to do it with the remakes, as well.

Hobbun said:
I agree with you about keeping the same battle system, but the same graphics? Why? I mean you can purchase FF VII on the PSN if you want to do that.

Granted, SE could clean the graphics up for HD televisions, but that wouldn't be enough to release a remake.

I don't understand why you think giving HD graphics to FF VII would not work? I think it would look great. They could get rid of those lego arms with the characters, the battle animations could be greatly improved and could you imagine KotR in HD?

Of course as Duckroll said, there is no indication of FF VIIr at this time, but if it happened, SE is going to change it up and put enough work in it to make it worthwhile.

I have no problem with HD. What I don't like is when they make the graphics look more realistic, like Crisis Core. It really takes the charm out of the original FFVII world, just like Advent Children. The lego block man characters and prerendered backgrounds gives the locales more personality.

I also think stuff like chocobo racing, snowboarding, all the stuff in gold saucer, and pretty much every quirky thing about the original FFVII would look absolutely absurd with realistic graphics.

And then there is the translation for a FFVIIr. No way would Cid and Barret's lines be kept intact.

neptunes

I think some of you are really overestimating how much it would sell, especially in today's landscape. Your nostalgia is messing with you reasoning.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
If no FFVII remake yet, how about remaking FFVI for HD consoles at least? :p

One of the things I'd really want to see is
the Opera scene in HD and Celes' Leap of Faith

Hobbun

H_Prestige said:
I have no problem with HD. What I don't like is when they make the graphics look more realistic, like Crisis Core. It really takes the charm out of the original FFVII world, just like Advent Children. The lego block man characters and prerendered backgrounds gives the locales more personality.

I also think stuff like chocobo racing, snowboarding, all the stuff in gold saucer, and pretty much every quirky thing about the original FFVII would look absolutely absurd with realistic graphics.

And then there is the translation for a FFVIIr. No way would Cid and Barret's lines be kept intact.

Yes, I can kind of see your point. Maybe SE could make the graphics fit the mood. Where it is not as realistic, but more lighthearted like with the Chocobo racing, snowboarding or similar portions. But for it's time, FF VII was considered more gritty than most games and I know a lot of the scenes would benefit from more realistic looking graphics. Especially a lot of those Sephiroth scenes where you have the organ music going in the background or that one scene we all know about, but shouldn't talk about for those who haven't played the game.

And I do agree with the translation, as well. There are just things that they can't put in the game now unless they want it M rating, and SE won't shoot themselves in the foot like that. However, that would be the case for the game whether it was HD, or not.

And I just want to clarify, I do appreciate the lego arms and prerendered backgrounds of FF VII. I love the game for what it is now, but I think I would also enjoy an enhancement for the game, as well.

ULTROS! said:
If no FFVII remake yet, how about remaking FFVI for HD consoles at least? :p

Oh yes, could definitely go for that, as well.

ghostmind

I don't get the hype for remakes. Why not just let the original stand as it is, and instead focus on new original works that could become the FF7 of the modern gen?

Anticitizen One said:
FF6 did get remade for the ps1. It was bundled with FF 5 in "Final Fantasy Anthology"
Not the kind of remake people are asking for.

Although I would prefer a full HD 2D version like ULTROS! mentioned.

duckroll

ghostmind said:
I don't get the hype for remakes. Why not just let the original stand as it is, and instead focus on new original works that could become the FF7 of the modern gen?

Both have their place in the industry. Entertainment is after all, a constant work in progress. You can make new games, you can fine tune older games, you can create new versions of old ideas, etc. There's no specific rule which says that if one exists, it is at the expense of another. Since it is a creative field, it would also largely depend on what the developers feel motivated to work on. A director could have a great idea for a brand new IP and move forward with that, or he could feel strongly about remaking an older game because he has a really good idea on how he can improve on the various gameplay and presentation aspects of it.

There are many examples of good remakes, and bad remakes, just like there are examples of good new games and bad new games. Let's just take FF as an example, since we're on the topic. I didn't particularly care for the FF3 remake on the DS. On the other hand I loved the FFIV remake on the DS because the changes and improvements to the gameplay systems and boss strategies made it a TON more fun. Then the same team which worked on both went on to develop a brand new FF IP - 4 Warriors of Light. The art direction and music is really good, but the gameplay totally fell short. Before the game came out, I was really excited because even though they were not working on a remake of FFV - my favorite FF, they were making a BRAND NEW game instead. But after playing 4WoL, I can't help but feel that if they went ahead and remade FFV instead, at worst it would be about as good as the original, which is still much better than 4WoL. :/

neoism said:
Does anyone know what FF12's team is doing next????

7-11.

Hobbun

duckroll said:
Then the same team which worked on both went on to develop a brand new FF IP - 4 Warriors of Light. The art direction and music is really good, but the gameplay totally fell short. Before the game came out, I was really excited because even though they were not working on a remake of FFV - my favorite FF, they were making a BRAND NEW game instead. But after playing 4WoL, I can't help but feel that if they went ahead and remade FFV instead, at worst it would be about as good as the original, which is still much better than 4WoL. :/

That is such a shame about 4WoL. I was so looking forward to that game when I first heard about it. But then with their decision to take away control on being able to target specific things and the impressions I read about the game, just killed it for me.

:(

Top Bottom