• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nomura has spoken: "No FFVII remake yet, Cloud might make another appearance soon."

MechaX

I would personally prefer a Dissidia 2 above all other possibilities. But that wish is not even fueled by Cloud at all, but rather my wish to see Ramza get the recognition he deserves.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
MechaX said:
I would personally prefer a Dissidia 2 above all other possibilities. But that wish is not even fueled by Cloud at all, but rather my wish to see Ramza get the recognition he deserves.

Ramza really is the forgotten step child. I'd be very happy with another console FFT.

Gomu Gomu

After playing FF7 and FF6 last year for the first time. I'd say to hell with FF7, a FF6 remake would be the best thing ever. That game had a much better set of characters. Better villian, better setting, better pacing, better overworld, better music and pretty much better in everything. The only thing they have to update is the battle system.

Shadow780

Garl_Vinland said:
Yes that is true. Most of the RPGs are just remakes. Crisis Core is sitting at the top :lol

Half Minute Hero
Jeane D'Arc
Brave Story
Crimson Gem Saga

I can't think of anything else

yeah there aren't a lot.

Last Ranker looks pretty cool too, but it's not out yet.

duckroll said:
This week's Famitsu magazine had a special tribute feature on Final Fantasy VII's main character - Cloud Strife. It showcased his appearances throughout the FF and KH franchises, and also had a short reflection on the character by the creator Tetsuya Nomura. Nomura concludes the reflection by stating that he is aware that there are many rumors about a remake of FFVII, and that the fans clearly want it, but he repeats that as of right now development has not started rolling. But he adds that it is very possible that Cloud will guest-star in another game in the near future, in a similar way to how he was featured in Dissidia Final Fantasy.

The comparison to Dissidia implies to me that Cloud might be playable in another Square Enix game, either Dissidia 2, or something else, as opposed to simply having a cameo appearance like in Kingdom Hearts games. I'll also like to note that Nomura is a really honest and candid guy in general, so if he is officially saying that there is no development yet on FFVIIr, then we definitely won't be seeing it on shelves anytime soon at all.

Still promising so I wont complain.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Gomu Gomu said:
After playing FF7 and FF6 last year for the first time. I'd say to hell with FF7, a FF6 remake would be the best thing ever. That game (Unlike FF7) had a much better set of characters. Better villian, better setting, better pacing, better overworld, better music and pretty much better in everything. The only thing they have to update is the battle system.

I've been waiting for this for years. It will never, ever happen. Nobody cares about VI except old bastards.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Gomu Gomu said:
... a FF6 remake would be the best thing ever. That game (Unlike FF7) had a much better set of characters. Better villian, better setting, better pacing, better overworld, better music and pretty much better in everything. The only thing they have to update is the battle system.

Best Truth Ever.

Garl_Vinland said:
I care about Final Fantasy VI. It's the greatest final fantasy game of all time!!! :D

It will forever be my favorite JRPG of all time.

WanderingWind said:
I've been waiting for this for years. It will never, ever happen. Nobody cares about VI except old bastards.

I care about Final Fantasy VI. It's the greatest final fantasy game of all time!!! :D

dramatis

Not really into the idea of remakes. They can apply the time and resources to fresh, new games rather than something that has been out and playable for years.

I guess the clamor for remakes is simply because the overall quality of games was better back then?

It's KH3.

duckroll

I would honestly be interested in Dissidia 2 taking a more action approach as opposed to fighting. While the game should still retain the same engine and have an extensive multiplayer mode, I would really like it if each of the FF entries have a full action game stage, complete with minor platforming, secrets, normal enemies, mid bosses, etc, before getting to the main boss of the world. Something like this would make it a much more substantial upgrade, and a co-op mode would be even better.

Basically I think the Dissidia team should look at popular action game series like Gundam Battle and Gundam Vs on the PSP, and use that as a guide on how to expand on the series. At the bare minimum, I expect 2v2 to be in the sequel. If not, auto disappointment.

Glad to hear this news, I don't want an FFVII remake - I'm quite happy with the original, thanks. Now Dissidia II is a game I can get behind!

I want them to include ALL the bosses in ALL the final fantasy games in Dissidia 2. I hated how you fought the cpu-ghosts of the main heroes and villains as regular canon fodder again and again. It got tiresome.

For example, i want to fight against Ultros or Seigfried from Final Fantasy VI :D PLEASE include a bestiary in Dissidia 2.

GDGF said:
It will forever be my favorite JRPG of all time.

Whenever I make a top JRPG list, Xenogears, Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI are always fighting for the top spot inside my mind :) FF VI is probably the most hardcore JRPG of the three. The gameplay is pheonomenal.

Mandoric

Banned
godhandiscen said:
Missed opportunity. At this point I don't care anymore. It should have happened during the PS2 era. I already grew out of FFVII. Pretty sure there are many old fans who feel the same as me.

Presumably, it's more useful to interest new people growing into it, so another fifteen years of spinoffs can be produced.

Dance In My Blood said:
It's one thing to sell a bunch of $10 ports on a digital platform where people have a tendency to indulge in nostalgia.

It is a completely different thing to convince people to pay full retail price for the opportunity to replay an experience they've already had years ago. And how do they get new players into the series? By rehashing a game over ten years old? Who would that really interest?

Millions of Pokemon and Dragon Quest buyers, apparently.

Isn't another FF7 sequel pretty likely, given the loose ends with Genesis?

Dissidia 2 is likely also. Another KH won't be out for a decent while, I think. It remains to be seen what the BBS folks and the FF13 folks work on next, but I suspect an FFVII title out of one of them.

I don't understand this constant clamouring for ff7. we all played it and finished probably millions of times. what's the need? to see how tifa's tits look in HD? We already have the advent children for that.

personally i am looking forward to Versus instead.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Elan tedronai said:
I don't understand this constant clamouring for ff7. we all played it and finished probably millions of times. what's the need? to see how tifa's tits look in HD? We already have the advent children for that.

personally i am looking forward to Versus instead.

Well for me personally, I wouldn't need a remake if they released a CD of the entire soundtrack performed by an orchestra.

I'd by that at a high price.

StuBurns

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
Your view of the costs of a hypothetical FF7re is horrifyingly off. FFVII is not "complete" has they have to, yes, "remake" it. Almost entirely. Even the story would have to be rewritten (not redone) for a remake of that magnitude. Additionally, the CG assets they can grab from AC and the tech demo would be minimal at best. Also the majority of the development cost wouldn't have come from pre-production anyway and there would still be pre-production costs in a FF7re anyway. Finally, the engine development costs would be similar for most games that reused that engine; not "0" for FF7 and "100%" for everything else.

Essentially, a hypothetical FFXIII-2 would probably be cheaper to make than a FFVIIre.

Also, I think you are being vastly over optimistic on a FFVIIre's sales potential. And no, the excuse of ""most of them have been basically unwanted" doesn't cancel out the broad trend of video game remakes just because you want it to. For a counterexample, take the Pokemon Gold/Silver remakes, which were heavily wished for, yet have not and will not sell anywhere close to the originals or any original mainline game.
I think you're wrong, my view is it'd be less than FFXIII because they have an engine and don't need to design the world and story from scratch, I never said it'd be cheaper than FFXIII-2 of course it wouldn't.

As for reusing the engine. Okay, there might be some retooling done, but my point was they have an engine, and if you think Crystal Tools was cheap to build, I really disagree, engine development costs are high, and it's a timely. My point was that FFXIIIs budget was naturally higher than another FF this generation would be because they had to build the engine, which would not be the case for a VIIR on the platforms Crystal Tools runs on.

Although yes, nothing could be reused directly from VII, they have a complete game to copy. They don't need to spend years conceptualizing the world and plot, they are done.

I have no idea how much CG development costs, but I really doubt it's cheap to make something like Advent Children, if you don't think the assets built for it are beneficial I think you're deluded.

As for sales, all I can say is we shall see. A number of people from Square have mentioned wanting to do it, it's probably going to happen, and when it does, it'll outsell FFXIII. The most successful remakes have had sales around the number of the original (FF3 for one), and there has never been one as high profile as a potential FFVII remake.

EDIT: And to be clear, I never said it'd be half the price or anything like that, could be all together 80% the budget of XIII, something like that, I never put an actual cost on it. My point was more time. It could be done before the end of the generation, like a XIII-2 could. Where as I don't think a brand new FF from that team could.

7Th

The FFXIII team is indeed probably working on a FFXIII spin-off of some sort; they already have the assets and everything and the game is ripe with possibilities for an expansion.

Elan tedronai said:

It's just so popular. People can't get enough of it. It's amazing how FF7 spawned a sequel movie and a prequel game. I think its the characters people fell in love with and the more darker storyline compared to the rest of the FF's. And it kinda feels like a J-drama sometimes.

StuBurns

Banned
Garl_Vinland said:
It's just so popular. People can't get enough of it. It's amazing how FF7 spawned a sequel movie and a prequel game. I think its the characters people fell in love with and the more darker storyline compared to the rest of the FF's. And it kinda feels like a J-drama sometimes.
I wonder about this, from what I can tell, it seems most people tend to prefer their first FF experience, I think it's just knowing games could be like that. Until I went back and played them all I preferred VIII, which is one of the worst really, but for some reason I loved it the most for a long time, I didn't think VII was that good, and I played it after. I'd be interested to find someone who played them all after X for example, and thinks VII is the best.

IX was a big disappointment for me, but in retrospect, it outclasses the other PS1 entries.

StuBurns said:
I wonder about this, from what I can tell, it seems most people tend to prefer their first FF experience, I think it's just knowing games could be like that. Until I went back and played them all I preferred VIII, which is one of the worst really, but for some reason I loved it the most for a long time, I didn't think VII was that good, and I played it after. I'd be interested to find someone who played them all after X for example, and thinks VII is the best.

It may be a style thing. I just warmed up to FF VII's style. I liked the dark atmosphere of VII and I liked the villain Sephiroth. And the main cast of characters were pretty engaging. The Shinra company bit also added a whole new dimension to the game. Maybe you enjoyed VIII's style and atmosphere more than VII? I'm a little bit more biased towards the dark setting of VII compared to VIII.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
StuBurns said:
As for reusing the engine. Okay, there might be some retooling done, but my point was they have an engine, and if you think Crystal Tools was cheap to build, I really disagree, engine development costs are high, and it's a timely. My point was that FFXIIIs budget was naturally higher than another FF this generation would be because they had to build the engine, which would not be the case for a VIIR on the platforms Crystal Tools runs on.
Not really a fair comparison point, as they probably amortized the cost of the engine/tools across the whole studio since they intend to use it for multiple projects. Most studios do this for core tech work.

As for the assets from AC bit, there's still quite a bit of work you'd have to do to get them working in a game engine, especially in regards to character models and rigs. You don't really have any restrictions when you do CG stuff, but getting film-quality assets working in a real-time game engine is non-trivial work.

And you're also a bit over-optimistic on the pre-production side. Yes, you don't have to do as much conceptualizing in terms of story and world and setting, but you still have to do quite a bit of concept art/grey boxing/prototyping/pre-viz/story-boarding even if you know the entire game. The devs will likely want to use new camera angles or add more detail to areas from the original, nevermind the technical side of things in terms of memory mapping/framerate optimization (i.e. how to sector an area for proper visual culling given a desired camera angle). There's more to pre-prod than just coming up with the story or characters or setting - you're planning on how to build the entire game.

Kyoufu

I have no idea what the game will be if Cloud is going to be more than just a cameo. Obviously not going to be KH3 since:

a) He has never been playable in previous games
b) It won't be out until after Versus XIII, which is still a long way off

Nomura did say that the next project announcement is something requested by many fans worldwide and will cause a huge reaction, so if it isn't FFVII remake then I really don't know what it could be lol.

FF Tactics remake would be cool to see but Nomura touching a Matsuno title is about as likely as Hideki Kamiya making an action game starring Sephiroth.

WHAT THE HELL IS THIS GOING TO BEEEEEEE :(

Speaking of Final Fantasy in a real world setting - I would love to see this. It would completely stir up the series. Imagine real events, locations, conflicts, even character references. Like Modern Warfare... meets Final Fantasy. Of course, where the story eventually leads will be completely made up, but the foundations will have been laid. As long as there is no shitty political commentary or anything like that, it could be good. They had Tokyo in The World Ends With You, after all.

Kyoufu

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Speaking of Final Fantasy in a real world setting - I would love to see this. It would completely stir up the series. Imagine real events, locations, conflicts, even character references. Like Modern Warfare... meets Final Fantasy. Of course, where the story eventually leads will be completely made up, but the foundations will have been laid. As long as there was no shitty political commentary or anything like that, it could be good. They had Tokyo in The World Ends With You, after all.

Versus XIII uses real world locations, but with altered names I believe.

LogicStep

duckroll said:
This week's Famitsu magazine had a special tribute feature on Final Fantasy VII's main character - Cloud Strife. It showcased his appearances throughout the FF and KH franchises, and also had a short reflection on the character by the creator Tetsuya Nomura. Nomura concludes the reflection by stating that he is aware that there are many rumors about a remake of FFVII, and that the fans clearly want it, but he repeats that as of right now development has not started rolling. But he adds that it is very possible that Cloud will guest-star in another game in the near future, in a similar way to how he was featured in Dissidia Final Fantasy.

The comparison to Dissidia implies to me that Cloud might be playable in another Square Enix game, either Dissidia 2, or something else, as opposed to simply having a cameo appearance like in Kingdom Hearts games. I'll also like to note that Nomura is a really honest and candid guy in general, so if he is officially saying that there is no development yet on FFVIIr, then we definitely won't be seeing it on shelves anytime soon at all.
neogaf1.gif

Dear Square. Please don't let Nomura get his shonen-manga-story-and-retcon fingers into the lead position of an FF7 remake. Just do a straight adaption. Thanks.

Kyoufu said:
I have no idea what the game will be if Cloud is going to be more than just a cameo. Obviously not going to be KH3 since:

a) He has never been playable in previous games
b) It won't be out until after Versus XIII, which is still a long way off

Nomura did say that the next project announcement is something requested by many fans worldwide and will cause a huge reaction, so if it isn't FFVII remake then I really don't know what it could be lol.

FF Tactics remake would be cool to see but Nomura touching a Matsuno title is about as likely as Hideki Kamiya making an action game starring Sephiroth.

WHAT THE HELL IS THIS GOING TO BEEEEEEE :(

... Dissidia 2 maybe??? Isn't Dissidia the only game Cloud is playable besides Ehrgeiz?

duckroll said:
I'll also like to note that Nomura is a really honest and candid guy in general, so if he is officially saying that there is no development yet on FFVIIr, then we definitely won't be seeing it on shelves anytime soon at all.
And some people on GAF will still be expecting a FFVIIr announcement when e3 and TGS rolls around. :lol

duckroll said:
I would honestly be interested in Dissidia 2 taking a more action approach as opposed to fighting. While the game should still retain the same engine and have an extensive multiplayer mode, I would really like it if each of the FF entries have a full action game stage, complete with minor platforming, secrets, normal enemies, mid bosses, etc, before getting to the main boss of the world. Something like this would make it a much more substantial upgrade, and a co-op mode would be even better.

Basically I think the Dissidia team should look at popular action game series like Gundam Battle and Gundam Vs on the PSP, and use that as a guide on how to expand on the series. At the bare minimum, I expect 2v2 to be in the sequel. If not, auto disappointment.
I enjoyed Dissidia but damn if it didn't get repetitive after a while. It just got dull after a while fighting the same enemy just at slightly different level so I'd enjoy a more action approach to for the sequel.

FreedomFrisbee said:
Dear Square. Please don't let Nomura get his shonen-manga-story-and-retcon fingers into the lead position of an FF7 remake. Just do a straight adaption. Thanks.

Nomura is pretty much the one guy at Square that i'd trust with pulling off a proper FF7 remake. He seems to love the series more than anyone else there. And he's actually making a FF game that's going to have a proper overworld while everyone else is happy doing the shortcut way.

squall211

WanderingWind said:
Ramza really is the forgotten step child. I'd be very happy with another console FFT.

As a tribute to Ramza I usually pick that as my main character's name in RPGs where the MC isn't named ahead of time.

Top Bottom