• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nomura has spoken: "No FFVII remake yet, Cloud might make another appearance soon."

StuBurns

Banned
jiggle said:
:( just do it already damnit! FFXIII team is now free!
I thought their next project would either be VIIR or XIII-2, given how long it takes them to put together a new world from scratch, but given some of the comments publicly about how much XIII material they have left over, I'm going to guess XIII-2.

I do think the remake will happen eventually though.

As for his comment, FFVIII comes on the euro PSN store in a couple of weeks, Cloud has a weapon shop in it, mystery solved. Nomura clearly plays close attention to the PAL users needs.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Kenak said:
Why the fuck don't they just remake it? Fans have been clamoring for it for years, and yet they just keep releasing crappy spin-offs, one after another. And this is coming from someone who doesn't even like FFVII.
Squishy said:
While I secretly hope for a FFVII remake, I know that if it does eventually happen it probably won't live up to my expectations. So on one hand i'm relieved, yet on the other I still long for a remake, even if I will be disappointed.

V_Arnold

Uhm... not like even thousands of blindly nostalgic fan's "cry for FFVII remake" should dictate to one of the worlds biggest creative JRPG studio's schedule and the next 3-4 years main project to a full development team.

So I am very happy to hear they are not wasting time with something like this. They should develop new games instead, creating new memories to players from this era.

jiggle

duckroll said:
He's mentioned that the next KH will be a lot more "official" than a spin off, but might not be KH3. At the same time he has another idea which he explained to the producer recently, which seems to have gotten a sort of "Huh?" response. The way I see it though, Nomura almost always works on at least 2 KH games at a single time anyway. CoM and KH2 were developed at the same time, Re:CoM and KH2FM+ at the same time, 358/2 Days, BbS, and Coded at the same time, etc. No reason to believe they will change this formula since it has been working well.

dang at this rate KHIII is gonna skip this generation altogether XD

really too bad they don't have more capable teams there that are big enough to handle all these projects

Dogenzaka

Banned
That's fine....Just make Versus XIII like 50x better.

Noctis kinda looks like a black-haired Cloud anyway, except he wields DOZENS OF MAGICAL SWORDS instead of just one.

Nomura, focus on Versus, please.

and a console KH.

That's all I ask.

StuBurns

Banned
V_Arnold said:
Uhm... not like even thousands of blindly nostalgic fan's "cry for FFVII remake" should dictate to one of the worlds biggest creative JRPG studio's schedule and the next 3-4 years main project to a full development team.

So I am very happy to hear they are not wasting time with something like this. They should develop new games instead, creating new memories to players from this era.

This only makes sense in a world without console generations though. Building a brand new FF from scratch, as they have with XIII takes WAY longer than it would to build FFVII. It took over six years to make XIII. With the generational leap requirements, if they were to do the same thing again right now they'd be sitting on their hands waiting for console specs to be released. It's pointless at the moment. They need a game to make in the next two or three years, and they won't be able to make a totally new one. XIII-2 I imagine, but VIIR would have been an option.

Personally, I don't really care about VII, I'd rather they do something else, a new IP from the team would be amazing.

grandjedi6

Angry Grimace said:
The strange part is, it's not like Square has any problem whoring out the characters/games to remakes, spinoffs or whatever. I'm not entirely sure what the hold up is on that.
  • The absurd hype levels means it will never meet people's expectations
  • Any remake would bring up the Catch 22 between changing too much vs leaving too much the same
  • The logistics of remaking Final Fantasy 7 would be difficult in the first place
  • Remaking it would only threaten the game's heavy nostolgia that it has built up over the years
  • Which would of course kill off any future attempts at whoring out FF7 with various spinoffs
  • The developmental costs to remake Final Fantasy 7 to fan expectations is likely too high to be all that profitable for Square
  • V and VI come first?
  • Everyone's busy
  • No one cares

StuBurns

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
  • The developmental costs to remake Final Fantasy 7 to fan expectations is likely too high to be all that profitable for Square
I agree with pretty much everything except this, you're fucking high. It'd be way cheaper than XIII, less pre-production costs, no engine production costs. Almost certainly better sales. Obscene bank would be made from it. But if they fuck it up, they probably couldn't milk it as much, which you mentioned, so in the long run the VII brand wouldn't be as profitable potentially.

wRATH2x

Banned
Good!

I don't want to see a remake anytime soon, too much will be changed plus they'll Cloud change from the asshole we all know and love to the emo whiny bitch they made him.

duckroll

There is only one reason why there is no FFVII remake yet, and that is because there is no one working on it. It's really that simple. I don't see the need to over analyze this, because pretty much everyone who would be involved in the project have expressed that they plan on doing it, just not yet. Said people are all also busy on other games at the moment.

grandjedi6 said:
  • Any remake would bring up the Catch 22 between changing too much vs leaving too much the same
We all know that it wouldn't be a simple remake but some "re-imagined" best-portions-cut emo cutscene fest.

Taurus

DS isn't capable of handling a remake of FFVII, so we'll have to wait until Nintendo actually launches the "DS2".

Nomura: "We are aware that fans desire a Final Fantasy 7 remake, but that only strengthens our resolve to continue stringing the fans along and making products that aren't what they want but will end up buying anyway because it's as close as they're going to get."

"Only when it is no longer profitable to whore out the nostalgia of Final Fantasy 7 will we look at remaking that classic game."

V_Arnold

StuBurns said:
I agree with pretty much everything except this, you're fucking high. It'd be way cheaper than XIII, less pre-production costs, no engine production costs. Almost certainly better sales. Obscene bank would be made from it. But if they fuck it up, they probably couldn't milk it as much, which you mentioned, so in the long run the VII brand wouldn't be as profitable potentially.

Okay, so from now on, Square should, to be profitable, only remake FFVII, then FFVIII, then FFX, instead of creating new games?

What do you mean no engine cost? Does a techdemo suddenly equals to having an engine? Or did Crystal Tools magically created itself, with a cost if used for FFXIII, but no cost for FFVII? o_o

StuBurns

Banned
V_Arnold said:
Okay, so from now on, Square should, to be profitable, only remake FFVII, then FFVIII, then FFX, instead of creating new games?

What do you mean no engine cost? Does a techdemo suddenly equals to having an engine? Or did Crystal Tools magically created itself, with a cost if used for FFXIII, but no cost for FFIVV? o_o
I don't understand much of this post. I don't want a VII remake, I'm sure it'd be a horrific mess. VII is the best selling FF, so it's not like they should do them all, but considering they've remade 3 and 4, doing the best seller makes sense based on what they've done in the past.

No engine costs because they have an engine, I have no idea why you don't understand that.

And they have been pretty open about the fact the remake is a considered project. Duckroll mentioned above, a number of people have mentioned it. I remember a Nomura interview where he said he needs his scheduled to sync up with Kitase's before it'd be possible.

VII is among my least favorite FFs, I'd much rather they don't remake it, but that doesn't change the fact I think they will.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Taurus said:
DS isn't capable of handling a remake of FFVII, so we'll have to wait until Nintendo actually launches the "DS2".

:lol I was just about to type this, but you saved me the trouble.

grandjedi6

StuBurns said:
You're only thinking of the upfront costs, but forgetting the opportunity cost inherent with making a FF7re. All of Square's other remakes were done on cheaper lower-tech hardware and outsourced. There are reasons for this. A FF7remake though would likely require a full internal team devoted to the project. So making a FF7re would occur at the cost of another game. And there are alot of reasons why Square would prefer a new or different game over a FF7re. For example, a new game would help expand the franchise while a remake would only retrend old ground. Also there is nothing guaranteeing that a FF7re would sell more than, lets say, a FF15 or Kingdom Hearts 3 or whatever.

StuBurns

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
You're only thinking of the upfront costs, but forgetting the opportunity cost inherant with making a FF7re. All of Square's other remakes were done on cheaper lower-tech hardware and outsourced. There are reasons for this. A FF7remake though would likely require a full internal team devoted to the project. So making a FF7re would occur at the cost of another game. And there are alot of reasons why Square would prefer a new or different game over a FF7re. For example, a new game would help expand the franchise while a remake would only retrend old ground. Also there is nothing guaranteeing that a FF7re would sell more than, lets say, a FF15 or Kingdom Hearts 3 or whatever.
But FF15 would cost more, so yeah, they could in theory be selling about the same, but VII would be cheaper to make, so it'd be a higher profit project.

VIIRs sales are as guaranteed as anything they could put out.

kuYuri

duckroll said:
There is only one reason why there is no FFVII remake yet, and that is because there is no one working on it. It's really that simple. I don't see the need to over analyze this, because pretty much everyone who would be involved in the project have expressed that they plan on doing it, just not yet. Said people are all also busy on other games at the moment.

That's more or less what I posted. :p

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Missed opportunity. At this point I don't care anymore. It should have happened during the PS2 era. I already grew out of FFVII. Pretty sure there are many old fans who feel the same as me.

V_Arnold

StuBurns said:
I don't understand much of this post. I don't want a VII remake, I'm sure it'd be a horrific mess. VII is the best selling FF, so it's not like they should do them all, but considering they've remade 3 and 4, doing the best seller makes sense based on what they've done in the past.

No engine costs because they have an engine, I have no idea why you don't understand that.

And they have been pretty open about the fact the remake is a considered project. Duckroll mentioned above, a number of people have mentioned it. I remember a Nomura interview where he said he needs his scheduled to sync up with Kitase's before it'd be possible.

VII is among my least favorite FFs, I'd much rather they don't remake it, but that doesn't change the fact I think they will.

First of all, I am not sure if you can make any assumptions of how an FFVII remake would sell based on 2 remakes on the most succesful portable system ever, the DS.

Second, "no engine costs because they have an engine" - so, what is the difference between FFXIII and FFVII then, engine-cost wise? Nothing, since they have an engine, as you stated.

I do not care about any FFVII remake, but just because they have made the game in 90's, that wont mean they would need to pour a cent less money into it. If they decide to bring the game to HD consoles, they would need the production budget in line with FFXIII. Making CG, hiring voice-actors, remaking or creating new tracks, creating assets again (because no one can possibly say they can reuse any assets made for the PS1 original...), planning the combat system to make it acceptable in 2010/11, etc, etc.

I might be looking dumb right now, but I really do not feel why FFVIIR should be more profitable than a new FF game.

mehdi_san

I too think that IF they make it someday, it will sell a lot. The Japanese public is very sensitive to "brands", because it's "safe to buy", even more than westerners (learned that in economy class ^^). Right now there are a lot of posters in the stores for DQ6, and I'm sure it will sell a lot. However, SE schedule is pretty busy already, so are almost all the teams, so I do think there a little chances to see it for this generation ;(

grandjedi6

StuBurns said:
But FF15 would cost more, so yeah, they could in theory be selling about the same, but VII would be cheaper to make, so it'd be a higher profit project.

VIIRs sales are as guaranteed as anything they could put out.
You seem to be under the impression that a FF7re would cost substantally less than an original game. But why? What assets do they already have which would make a VII remake cheaper? A basic story premise and some rough character descriptions? Almost everything else from the original would have to be remade from scratch. There's not much you can carry over from a 13 year old game.

You also seem to be under the impression that a VII remake would sell almost as well as the original or a new mainline FF/KH. Which is ignoring the sales trends of most videogame remakes.

And again, there are reasons other than immediate profit for why a company does or does not make games. For example: franchise potential.

StuBurns

Banned
V_Arnold said:
First of all, I am not sure if you can make any assumptions of how an FFVII remake would sell based on 2 remakes on the most succesful portable system ever, the DS.

Second, "no engine costs because they have an engine" - so, what is the difference between FFXIII and FFVII then, engine-cost wise? Nothing, since they have an engine, as you stated.

I do not care about any FFVII remake, but just because they have made the game in 90's, that wont mean they would need to pour a cent less money into it. If they decide to bring the game to HD consoles, they would need the production budget in line with FFXIII. Making CG, hiring voice-actors, remaking or creating new tracks, creating assets again (because no one can possibly say they can reuse any assets made for the PS1 original...), planning the combat system to make it acceptable in 2010/11, etc, etc.

I might be looking dumb right now, but I really do not feel why FFVIIR should be more profitable than a new FF game.
Firstly, I wasn't saying the 3 and 4 remakes sold well, I wasn't commenting on the platform they're on, I was saying, Square remake shit, a lot.

Second, I really don't know what you don't understand about this. If they made FFVII now, they'd have an engine already. When they made FFXIII they didn't. They made it for the game, it is part of the production costs of that game, it would not be for VII. If that doesn't makes sense to you, I'm not repeating it, I literally can't say it any simpler.

I just think you're totally wrong on the next section. FFVII is complete, they have a game, start to finish to remake, the difference in terms of pre-production would be huge. And again, no engine development costs. And they already have CG assets built from AC and the tech demo.

grandjedi6 said:
You seem to be under the impression that a FF7re would cost substantally less than an original game. But why? What assets do they already have which would make a VII remake cheaper? A basic story premise and some rough character descriptions? Almost everything else from the original would have to be remade from scratch. There's not much you can carry over from a 13 year old game.

You also seem to be under the impression that a VII remake would sell almost as well as the original or a new mainline FF/KH. Which is ignoring the sales trends of most videogame remakes.
Yes, I do think it'd cost substantially less than an original game of the same scope would. For a lot of reasons I've posted above.

And yes, I do think it'd sell BETTER than XIII will. Because the trends of video game remakes don't really apply because so far, most of them have been basically unwanted. This is one everyone has been begging Square for, and buying any shit they stick Cloud on regardless of how crap it is.

I've been awake all night, and it's 11:30am here, so I'm going to bed, any reply will have to be hours away.

Taurus

mehdi_san said:
I too think that IF they make it someday, it will sell a lot. The Japanese public is very sensitive to "brands", because it's "safe to buy", even more than westerners (learned that in economy class ^^). Right now there are a lot of posters in the stores for DQ6, and I'm sure it will sell a lot. However, SE schedule is pretty busy already, so are almost all the teams, so I do think there a little chances to see it for this generation ;(
I think this post screams the meme "I'm an expert..."

Blablurn

Dogenzaka said:
That's fine....Just make Versus XIII like 50x better.

Noctis kinda looks like a black-haired Cloud anyway, except he wields DOZENS OF MAGICAL SWORDS instead of just one.

didnt you watch Advent Children? cloud had about a million swords in the end.

Playing the original Final Fantasy VII on the PSP is already pretty good though IMO. Doesn't looked aged at all.

duckroll said:
Almost 2 million worldwide. Japan > US > Europe.

Wow, that's an amazing amount. So there's a pretty big market for a FF VII remake.

jiggle

just looked through all the scans
wow
his original design for cloud looked like a little boy

that's a nice drawing from crisis core too
never seen it before

grandjedi6

StuBurns said:
Firstly, I wasn't saying the 3 and 4 remakes sold well, I wasn't commenting on the platform they're on, I was saying, Square remake shit, a lot.

Second, I really don't know what you don't understand about this. If they made FFVII now, they'd have an engine already. When they made FFXIII they didn't. They made it for the game, it is part of the production costs of that game, it would not be for VII. If that doesn't makes sense to you, I'm not repeating it, I literally can't say it any simpler.

I just think you're totally wrong on the next section. FFVII is complete, they have a game, start to finish to remake, the difference in terms of pre-production would be huge. And again, no engine development costs. And they already have CG assets built from AC and the tech demo.

Yes, I do think it'd cost substantially less than an original game of the same scope would. For a lot of reasons I've posted above.

And yes, I do think it'd sell BETTER than XIII will. Because the trends of video game remakes don't really apply because so far, most of them have been basically unwanted. This is one everyone has been begging Square for, and buying any shit they stick Cloud on regardless of how crap it is.

I've been awake all night, and it's 11:30am here, so I'm going to bed, any reply will have to be hours away.
Your view of the costs of a hypothetical FF7re is horrifyingly off. FFVII is not "complete" has they have to, yes, "remake" it. Almost entirely. Even the story would have to be rewritten (not redone) for a remake of that magnitude. Additionally, the CG assets they can grab from AC and the tech demo would be minimal at best. Also the majority of the development cost wouldn't have come from pre-production anyway and there would still be pre-production costs in a FF7re anyway. Finally, the engine development costs would be similar for most games that reused that engine; not "0" for FF7 and "100%" for everything else.

Essentially, a hypothetical FFXIII-2 would probably be cheaper to make than a FFVIIre.

Also, I think you are being vastly over optimistic on a FFVIIre's sales potential. And no, the excuse of ""most of them have been basically unwanted" doesn't cancel out the broad trend of video game remakes just because you want it to. For a counterexample, take the Pokemon Gold/Silver remakes, which were heavily wished for, yet have not and will not sell anywhere close to the originals or any original mainline game.

Rolf NB

grandjedi6 said:
True that.
grandjedi6 said:
For what it's worth the PSN rerelease of FF VII reportedly sold 100k in its first two weeks and stuck around the charts for 4+ months. The force is strong with this game.

bcn-ron said:
True that.For what it's worth the PSX version of FF VII reportedly sold 100k in its first two weeks and stuck around the charts for 4+ months. The force is strong with this game.

This ad was a force too :D

finalfantasy7c.jpg

Doubledex

Banned
FUCKING SHIT! I WANT A FF7 (PS3)!!!!!!!! >_<
Do it, finally! What the F is wrong with you SE?
Stoping developing crap and give us FF7R

Top Bottom