• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AVATAR surpasses Titanic to become the highest-grossing movie OF ALL TIME

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
219ovtd.jpg

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/

1 Avatar Fox $1,858.9 $555.0 29.9% $1,303.9 70.1% 2009
2 Titanic Par. $1,843.2 $600.8 32.6% $1,242.4 67.4% 1997

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/01/26/earlyshow/leisure/boxoffice/main6142354.shtml

"Avatar" has surpassed "Titanic" at the box office, topping $1.8 billion worldwide. "To get to those numbers," says Hollywood.com's Paul Dergarabedian, "you need repeat business, you need great word-of-mouth, and you need to grab an audience basically across the board."

Avatar has done in under seven weeks what took Titanic more than nine months to achieve.

A quick summary of past and future events in Avatar's history:

First...
quaritchTDK.jpg

Then...
5zgkg7.jpg

Eventually...

1118o5w.jpg

And the result...

1zp4r29.jpg

118ja7d.jpg

I figured this historic moment deserved its own thread. Haters cry bitter blue tears.

Brannon

And Titanic finally sinks. <-not a pun, I don't do puns, it's a straight sentence.

What a ride though.

Reminds me of Nintendo doing their best to kill the Gameboy Advance because nobody else could even come close to doing so. Way to go Cameron; and this one's going to have sequels!

judhudson

I have to admit, when I first saw previews of this I wanted it to bomb so hard. But I gave in and decided to go and see it. My opinion flipped 180 degrees - I couldn't be more happier that it has became the #1 movie of all time. :D

Last week we had a year assembly in which our Headteacher just talked about the movie for an hour.

It had no moral, he just wanted us all to see the film.

Speaking of which, I STILL need to see it at the IMAX.

Tenks

This always creepy dude at lunch yesterday kept mentioning how the DVD/BD will contain a sex scene. He literally said it four times. I was gunna git rap3d.

MoFuzz

Yo Titanic, I'm real happy for you, and Imma let you finish, but.....Avatar is the highest grossing film of all time! of ALL TIME!

The king is dethroned!

By the king!

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
So will Fox give Cameron the greenlight to do that live-action Battle Angel Alita movie already, or are they waiting on the results for Spielberg's live-action Ghost in the Shell?

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Vinci said:
This is true. But again, I wouldn't call the resulting film 'mediocre.'
The screenplay is mediocre. The special effects are fantastic. The resulting film is good.

twinturbo2 said:
So will Fox give Cameron the greenlight to do that live-action Battle Angel Alita movie already, or are they waiting on the results for Spielberg's live-action Ghost in the Shell?

Its whether Cameron wants to do it or not. He has a green light to do whatever the fuck he wants.

gcubed

i still cant find it, whats the delta in ticket sales so far? How much until avatar beats that?

Evlar said:
In terms of budget per frame per ticket per seat per minute, it's behind by 0.2.
bah! i just want a number and google isnt being my friend

Fuck, I knew it was doing well but I didn't realise it was doing that well.

Still haven't seen it myself, I'd only ever want to see it in 3D and that's too much hassle where I live.

bengraven

THANK GOD

that we have a sci-fi film as the top film of all time and not a fucking period romance.

It could be worse, some of these shitty teen comedies or Hannah Montana could have been #1 and now we have one we can call our own up there.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Scullibundo said:
Its whether Cameron wants to do it or not. He has a green light to do whatever the fuck he wants.
HE BETTER FUCKING DO IT!

I don't care if he's waiting on Ghost in the Shell or not...

-Eddman-

I think it was logical. A fun, very well made and really easy to understand plot doing well with almost all audiences, just like Titanic.

What did some of you guys expect, some superb obscure art movie to achieve this? :lol

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
bengraven said:
THANK GOD

that we have a sci-fi film as the top film of all time and not a fucking period romance.

It could be worse, some of these shitty teen comedies or Hannah Montana could have been #1 and now we have one we can call our own up there.

Least you're not the UK. Mama Mia became their all time highest grosser (beating titanic) last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom