• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AVATAR surpasses Titanic to become the highest-grossing movie OF ALL TIME

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

CassidyIzABeast said:
5zgkg7.jpg

Fixed. (Not mine.)

This belongs in the OP, Jett!

I suppose when search is enabled again some crow could be dug up. I'll just note that I said repeatedly leading up to Avatar's release the people should not underestimate Cameron. It's not a coincidence that he has #1 and #2, both by huge margins.

btkadams

Weapxn said:
The screenplay is mediocre. The special effects are fantastic. The resulting film is good.
these are my thoughts on this movie exactly. it was enjoyable to watch but the writing was poorly paced, etc.

also,
what was with the floating mountains? that really made the movie a giant step down for me. everything else i could somewhat believe, but the floating mountains was never explained.

Garjon

Good stuff, it deserves the sales for pushing the technology alone :)

Anticitizen One said:
The highest grossing pictures of all time are Gone with the Wind and Star Wars when adjusted for inflation. Avatar is #26 on the list.
I think Gone With The Wind is a bit of a task to beat when adjusting ;)

dallow_bg

nods at old men
This has to be the most popular movie ever released that I have ever had 0 interest in ever. That's crazy.
I honestly expected a bomb. Those blue aliens looked incredibly cheesy and fake to me.

I guess I'll rent the BD someday.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Based on current statistics, and Avatar's newly acquired box office kingdom....can it be considered the greatest movie of all time?

Stitch

Gold Member
Garjon said:
Good stuff, it deserves the sales for pushing the technology alone :)

that's the only thing it does.
everything else is mediocre stuff i've already seen in better movies.

bengraven

DrForester said:
Least you're not the UK. Mama Mia became their all time highest grosser (beating titanic) last year.

Between this, CCTV, and their stalker drones, I am...

*runs out the door

Dead

well not really...yet
Tobor said:
How far away would it be without the extra $3 per ticket for 3D?
How far away would Titanic be without 13 year old girls

How far away would TDK be without Heath Ledger OD'ing and IMAX

etc

The movie deserves every cent its made. Its not getting a 3D premium just for shits and giggles.

Evlar

Banned
btkadams said:
these are my thoughts on this movie exactly. it was enjoyable to watch but the writing was poorly paced, etc.

also,
what was with the floating mountains? that really made the movie a giant step down for me. everything else i could somewhat believe, but the floating mountains was never explained.
The 'unobtainium' ore that the humans are after is shown floating on a little display in the corporate suit's office. The ore has supermagnetic properties, which allows it to float in strong magnetic fields. When they fly to the Hallelujah mountains the pilot mentions that the "magnetic flux vortex" is screwing up her instruments... apparently there's a very strong magnetic field in the area. So... Gigantic rocks stuffed with supermagnetic ore + Very strong naturally occurring magnetic field = floating mountains. (They never actually say the ore is supermagnetic... that information comes from background sources).

About par for sci-fi explanations.

btkadams said:

also,

+

rocky-mountain-national-park.jpg

=

gcubed

Tobor said:
How far away would it be without the extra $3 per ticket for 3D?

well $3 is just avg difference, 3D is more then $3 difference, at least in my area... i'm still trying to dig up ticket sales but no luck

Medalion

Banned
exarkun said:
Do you actually like the movie that much or is this your elaborate ploy to get people to see a shitty movie?

He loves women who have the biological development of preteen girls.

btkadams

Evlar said:
The 'unobtainium' ore that the humans are after is shown floating on a little display in the corporate suit's office. The ore has supermagnetic properties, which allows it to float in strong magnetic fields. When they fly to the Hallelujah mountains the pilot mentions that the "magnetic flux vortex" is screwing up her instruments... apparently there's a very strong magnetic field in the area. So... Gigantic rocks stuffed with supermagnetic ore + Very strong naturally occurring magnetic field = floating mountains. (They never actually say the ore is supermagnetic... that information comes from background sources).

About par for sci-fi explanations.
thank you!!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
btkadams said:

also,

They are comprised mainly of a superconducting mineral that occurs naturally in the planet. It reacts to the very strong magnetic fields of the planet, causing the mountains to overcome gravity and rise

The science in the movie is overall pretty decent.

gcubed

Dead said:
How far away would Titanic be without 13 year old girls

How far away would TDK be without Heath Ledger OD'ing and IMAX

etc

The movie deserves every cent its made. Its not getting a 3D premium just for shits and giggles.

haha, now you're embarrassing yourself.

Tobor

gcubed said:
well $3 is just avg difference, 3D is more then $3 difference, at least in my area... i'm still trying to dig up ticket sales but no luck

I was just going by what I paid. It's a $3 bump at my theater. That's a lot of extra cash when you add it up.

Zozz

Banned
Hay guyz remember a little thing called inflation?

amirite!?

Seriously though, this movie has its flaws but who the fuck really cares.... o wait.
Stop bitching.

btkadams said:

also,

IIRC,
they are rich with unobtanium, which is a superconductor. There is a huge magnetic field where the mountains floats, which explains why their instruments don't work around that area. And according to the law of physics the superconducting mountains float in a strong magnetic field.

EDIT: Beaten by a mile :lol :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom