• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AVATAR surpasses Titanic to become the highest-grossing movie OF ALL TIME

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximus.

i still havent seen it because everytime i goto the imax around my area, its always sold out :S going to try and see it this week!

Dead

well not really...yet
gcubed said:
haha, now you're embarrassing yourself.
Its the equivalent to people whining about the 3D prices. They are both retarded arguements.

3D Avatar presents a Premium Experience, the movie was built from the ground up to be experienced as such. The premium price is warranted, due to the cost of equipping the theaters with the ability to show it.

Blader

Snytbaggen said:
IIRC,
they are rich with unobtanium, which is a superconductor. There is a huge magnetic field where the mountains floats, which explains why their instruments don't work around that area. And according to the law of physics the superconducting mountains float in a strong magnetic field.

EDIT: Beaten by a mile :lol :(

I love how you bring in "according to the laws of physics" to explain floating mountains. :lol

Snytbaggen said:
IIRC,
they are rich with unobtanium, which is a superconductor. There is a huge magnetic field where the mountains floats, which explains why their instruments don't work around that area. And according to the law of physics the superconducting mountains float in a strong magnetic field.

But wait,
if there were that many mountains floating in the air that the blue guys didn't seem to care about, why didn't they just mine the mountains instead of blowing up the tree that the Navi did care about?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
LeMaximilian said:
Based on current statistics, and Avatar's newly acquired box office kingdom....can it be considered the greatest movie of all time?
Citizen Kane, Godfather Part II and Days of Thunder all disagree.

Zophar

People that think Avatar had a shitty script is a great litmus test for seeing who doesn't know a damn thing about movies.

Tobor

Dead said:
Its the equivalent to people whining about the 3D prices. They are both retarded arguements.

3D Avatar presents a Premium Experience, the movie was built from the ground up to be experienced as such. The premium price is warranted, due to the cost of equipping the theaters with the ability to show it.

Settle down. :lol I'm not making an argument, just asking a legitimate question.

gcubed

Zophar said:
People that think Avatar had a shitty script is a great litmus test for seeing who doesn't know a damn thing about movies.

wouldn't say shitty, not sure anyone would say shitty, just ... mediocre.

jett

D-Member
GhaleonEB said:
5zgkg7.jpg

Fixed. (Not mine.)

This belongs in the OP, Jett!

I suppose when search is enabled again some crow could be dug up. I'll just note that I said repeatedly leading up to Avatar's release the people should not underestimate Cameron. It's not a coincidence that he has #1 and #2, both by huge margins.

"Fixed" the OP. :p

Binabik15

Skiptastic said:
But wait,
if there were that many mountains floating in the air that the blue guys didn't seem to care about, why didn't they just mine the mountains instead of blowing up the tree that the Navi did care about?

Uh, I don´t think they didn´t care about them (their holiest site is in that area) and mining from floating mountains can´t be easy, especially because all Unobtanium broken from the rocks floats upwards.

Edit: Loosks like some people are still bitter or trying to start the typical GAF backlash

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Inwardly chuckling at the people bringing up the adjusted for inflation chart - as if comparing it to movies mostly released over 20 years ago (that funnily enough have had time to amass a great deal of inflation) means anything. Cry moar. Keep bringing up that chart if that's your last resort. You want a deeper, complex film to earn this much money? Never going to happen. What is it with people who think if a film makes more money than another, that it's a better film?

Binabik15 said:
Uh, I don´t think they didn´t care about them (their holiest site is in that area) and mining from floating mountains can´t be easy, especially because all Unobtanium broken from the rocks floats upwards.

That's why you just tie a rope around the mountains and drive off before the blue guys even notice! :)

Dead

well not really...yet
Skiptastic said:
If Avatar wins Best Picture, I give up. I will refuse to watch the Oscars ever again. Mark my words.
It would be a step up from several of the Best Picture winners in the last decade.

Carlisle

Skiptastic said:
If Avatar wins Best Picture, I give up. I will refuse to watch the Oscars ever again. Mark my words.
It won't. Hollywood has a huge boner for low-budget sleeper hits that no one's heard of these days. Huge.

WJD

Wow. Didn't expect this at all.

I'll take fries with that crow.

though I did watch and love Avatar...

Cathcart

Skiptastic said:

Yeah, the Oscars had such credibility back in the day when the winners would be true classics like Crash and Titanic.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Skiptastic said:
But wait,

It was more trouble that it was worth to mine the mountains due to whatever reasons.

LosDaddie said:
Do the Oscars mean that much to you?:lol

No, which is why giving them up would be a completely vacuous statement. ;)

I used to really care about the Oscars, but as I moved more towards video games, I stopped. I don't think I've watched them live for five years.

Skiptastic said:
But wait,

And on top of that, how did all the water get up there that's creating those massive waterfalls? Sure, some rain runoff, but come on!

Zabojnik

twinturbo2 said:
So will Fox give Cameron the greenlight to do that live-action Battle Angel Alita movie already, or are they waiting on the results for Spielberg's live-action Ghost in the Shell?

Wait, what? This is really happening? When? WHEN???

Evlar

Banned
X26 said:
So how much should it need to make to stop the inflation/3D ticket prices/etc. arguments?
Imagine Avatar tickets were the foundation of the world economy. They were used in trade in the way dollars are used now. Stock prices are expressed in various Avatar ticket denominations- General Electric trading at 21 Imaxes and 3 Matinees.

Wouldn't be enough.

GhaleonEB

Rentahamster said:
It was more trouble that it was worth to mine the mountains due to whatever reasons.
And they established in the movie that the corporation was being somewhat lazy about it - the deposit under the home tree was the richest "in 200 clicks". There were others - that was just the closest. They were going after the largest, easiest to get stuff. Deposits imbedded in mountains floating up in the sky don't strike me as meeting that criteria.

gcubed

it will definitely be top 5 in adjusted prices by the end of its run. I still cant get weekend 3D tickets if i dont order them a week in advance in my area

dallow_bg

nods at old men
a Master Ninja said:
The 3D is pretty integral to why the film is so loved. Home viewing won't capture the magic.
In that case there's no point in watching.
However, pretty sure this movie has made the majority of it's money from non-3D screenings.Proven wrong.

mrkgoo

Holy crap, already? No movie manages to he's titanic for over ten year and this does it in 7 weeks?!

Nice.

Charging for 3d glasses and IMAX probably had a fair hand in it though.

jett

D-Member
X26 said:
So how much should it need to make to stop the inflation/3D ticket prices/etc. arguments?

It's a stupid argument. Gone with the Wind was in theaters in and out for 50 years. Let's have this discussion again in 2060. :p

GhaleonEB

dallow_bg said:
In that case there's no point in watching.
However, pretty sure this movie has made the majority of it's money from non-3D screenings.
Domestically, 80% of the earnings have been from 3D. And almost that high overseas. It's a big part of the draw.

At its current trajectory, Avatar will exceed Titanic's $600.8 million total within two weeks. In 38 days, Avatar's tally stands at $551.7 million, 80 percent of which from 3D presentations (including 16 percent from IMAX venues alone).
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2654&p=.htm

jett said:
It's a stupid argument. Gone with the Wind was in theaters in and out for 50 years. Let's have this discussion again in 2060. :p

Well, technically if Avatar doesn't beat GwtW on inflation now, it won't ever, because the money GwtW earned will continue to earn the same inflation that Avatar will earn in the interim 50 years...

Unless you were being sarcastic about it...then...never mind. :p

PS. If you go back to your Joker avatar (irony), I will love you once again.

Still haven't seen it, but plenty of my friends have seen it repeatedly. I've got to find an open showing on the weekend sometime. (Night shows have been sold out every time)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom