• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AVATAR surpasses Titanic to become the highest-grossing movie OF ALL TIME

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rindain

Banned
Well deserved. Cameron must be on cloud 9 right now. Now I hope he uses some of the political capital he's gained frm this to make Battle Angel with a huge budget.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Haters gonna hate.

I am happy to see Avatar become movie of the year and beat Titanic. Certainly not my favorite sci-fi movie, but a good one and I'm happy to see a sci-fi become movie of the year.

koam

New Press Release is out:

Jan 26, 2010 - Avatar has finally surpassed Titanic making it the highest grossing movie of all time. Things aren't as they seem though according to the internet forum NeoGAF. According to the message board, Avatar's victory does not count as movie ticket prices have increased due to 3D. The forum believes that Avatar (1.8 billion) is actually behind 2008's The Dark Knight (1 billion) as tickets today cost well over 80% of the cost of 2008's tickets. Furthermore, the movie benefited from having James Cameron behind the director's seat (a man who hasn't released a movie in over a decade) and big name actor Sam Worthington. In comparison, TDK only had Christian Bale and Heath Ledger whose death did not affect the box office numbers.

When pitted against the domestic sales of Gone with the wind, Avatar's numbers seem paltry. NeoGAF believes that Wind's numbers were not affected by the rarity of televisions at home nor the limited ncompetition at the time.

The forum believes that when the movie hits $7.5 billion it will be fair to say that it has passed Titanic but not The Dark Knight as it had a bigger opening weekend.

GhaleonEB

Karram said:
Both aren't that great. I guess James is just a Lucky guy

3x0yh.jpg

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest luck had nothing to do with it.

well better this than Titanic for sure.

i kinda want to see the first half of Avatar again.. had some really nice visual moments. the last half however was just mindnumbingly boring over-the-top action which made me yawn and i wanted out of the theater. seen that shit about a 1000 times.

GhaleonEB

koam said:
This chart is FAR more impressive if you continue it to the top 25 of all time.
Yeah. But I didn't want to clutter it up - the goal was to show the gulf between the top two and the rest.

I think it's noteworthy that all of the films are recent (Titanic is the oldest), so even if you just want to limit the discussion to recent movies, Avatar's run is exceptional. It's also remarkable that the top two are original pictures; the rest are sequels and franchise pictures based on other material.

To find the next original (non-sequel, non-adaptation) film in the WW chart, you have to go to #19 - Finding Nemo.

Cubsfan23

Banned
The most amazing thing is that I know a lot of people who haven't even thought about seeing the movie yet or don't even notice the movie is out.....Titanic had much more hype

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
On the topic of inflation and all, why are movies measured in dollars opposed to units?

Can't think of any other industries that measure in dollars.

I wouldn't mind if Avatar won Best Picture, it would be nice for a movie I actually liked to win it more than once a decade.

Wow. I didn't think I'd see this happening for a long, long time. I've not been following the figures so this is a complete surprise.

It deserves the Best director and special effects oscars, but the best picture award is highly debatable, though I think that it take this award too.

So what's next for Cameron, and will there be a trilogy?

I just saw it yesterday and thought it was incredibly entertaining. The story is basically a new age-tree hugger pocahontas in Space, but it's ok anyway, it delivers a good message even if they fall in almost every cliché.

What I would like people to explain me is what does this movie have to do with Avatar the animated series (which I have no idea about, either, but I know of its existence). Do they have any relation?

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
bytesized said:
What I would like people to explain me is what does this movie have to do with Avatar the animated series (which I have no idea about, either, but I know of its existence). Do they have any relation?
No relation at all.

I believe the animated TV series is getting its own movie also.

user_nat said:
No relation at all.

I believe the animated TV series is getting its own movie also.

really? I can't believe there was not a huge legal battle over the name, copyright, etc. Even the crappy logo at the end of the movie looked similar to the one from the series. Strange!

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Xeke said:
I cost me $5 to see Titanic and $14 to see Avatar...
really, i dont see how higher ticket prices should take away from the glory of a high gross.

if a movie charged $50 bucks a ticket, and managed to topple avatars gross, wouldnt you be impressed that so many people were willing to pay so much?

if higher ticket prices meant more earnings, then theaters would just raise ticket prices, mirite?

Dead

well not really...yet
bytesized said:
really? I can't believe there was not a huge legal battle over the name, copyright, etc. Even the crappy logo at the end of the movie looked similar to the one from the series. Strange!
Not sure how it works, but Cameron had the Avatar name decided for the movie ever since 1995.

CassidyIzABeast said:
can't believe people want to go by tickets sold after like a 100 years of going by total gross, just so Avatar won't be the top dog:lol
To be fair, it happens in every thread like this.

CassidyIzABeast said:
can't believe people want to go by tickets sold after like a 100 years of going by total gross, just so Avatar won't be the top dog:lol

Jordan would have scored 82 if he had the no hand checking rule.

WillyFive

Zabojnik said:
Wait, what? This is really happening? When? WHEN???

I've never heard of it. His next movie is The Adventures of Tintin (who he's co-directing with Peter Jackson in 3D), and after that he's either doing Interstellar or Lincoln.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Medalion said:
Hooray for inflation.

nah just joshing... congrats Cameron, better him than Bay or Jackson.

what.gif

Are you saying Avatar deserves it's success more than ROTK? Because, if so...

Vinci said:
Hundreds of millions of dollars put on a giant screen in front of you with 3D is never mediocre.
Brilliantly choreographed action and top-notch special effects with a story and dialogue as deep as Attack of the Clones.

GhaleonEB

silverbullet1080 said:
Brilliantly choreographed action and top-notch special effects with a story and dialogue as deep as Attack of the Clones.
Someone needs to go back and watch Attack of the Clones again. As punishment for typing that. :lol

jett

D-Member
silverbullet1080 said:

The dialogue in AOTC is vomitive garbage. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the dialogue in Avatar. The basic story arc may not be original but the storytelling is great. A movie doesn't gross nearly 2 billion dollars just because of TEH CG.

Dead

well not really...yet
silverbullet1080 said:
Yeah uhhh no.

Avatar's got great storytelling, not the most original story but still told very very well, and the dialogue isnt even 1/1000000th as atrocious as what can be found in Attack of the Clones.

The thing with Cameron and cheesy dialogue is that the characters who speak those lines...Cameron makes you believe that that is how they talk. It feels appropriate.

AOTC is just garbage on all fronts.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Havent watched the movie but ... :lol at the Cameron haters.
Bow before the King of Sci Fi !!!

* Bows *

silverbullet1080 said:
Ok, someone please turn off the internet. We are done here.

Chichikov

silverbullet1080 said:
I think the dialog (and the script in general) in Avatar is an embarrassment, but really now, Attack of the Clones reads like a fan-fic written by someone who is not a native English speaker.

Dead said:
Yeah uhhh no.

Avatar's got great storytelling, not the most original story but still told very very well, and the dialogue isnt even 1/1000000th as atrocious as what can be found in Attack of the Clones.

The thing with Cameron and cheesy dialogue is that the characters who speak those lines...Cameron makes you believe that that is how they talk. It feels appropriate.

AOTC is just garbage on all fronts.
I should clarify it's the script I'm talking about not how it's acted out. In terms of sci-fi movies in 2009 though, District 9 outclasses Avatar completely short of special effects.

Cameron is a phenomenal director, but goddamn does the script and story suck.

GhaleonEB

silverbullet1080 said:
I should clarify it's the script I'm talking about not how it's acted out.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0121765/quotes

Anakin: From the moment I met you, all those years ago, not a day has gone by when I haven't thought of you. And now that I'm with you again... I'm in agony. The closer I get to you, the worse it gets. The thought of not being with you- I can't breath. I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating... hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me... what can I do?- I will do anything you ask.

[uncomfortable pause]

Anakin: ... if you are suffering as much as I am, PLEASE, tell me.

Dead

well not really...yet
silverbullet1080 said:
I should clarify it's the script I'm talking about not how it's acted out. In terms of sci-fi movies in 2009 though, District 9 outclasses Avatar completely short of special effects.

Cameron is a phenomenal director, but goddamn does the script and story suck.
You're still comparing it to AOTC, which is rubbish.

D9 is great in a Trashy Verhoeven way though. That is pretty much what it aspired to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom