• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

AmyS

I'd be really happy if we had more Raiden-em-ups. I loved that style but everything seems to take it to extremes these days. I love other shmups obviously, but this style seems to get neglected.

I agree we definitely need more Raiden-esque shmups.

BTW does anyone know if the CD music from Raiden on FM Towns was ever reused or released on a CD collection? It is excellent. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcLKlq2gq34

SonyToo!™;185917331 said:
Yeah I was hooked when I played Mad Shark 2-3 years ago, so hooked that I ended up with carpel tunnel and a knacked r hand for 6 months lol.

Holy, not sure if serious.

BOTEC

I agree we definitely need more Raiden-esque shmups.

BTW does anyone know if the CD music from Raiden on FM Towns was ever reused or released on a CD collection? It is excellent. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcLKlq2gq34

Holy, not sure if serious.

Yes, it was included on disc 3 of this set. I hope it's still available, I bought mine years ago.

http://vgmdb.net/album/3155

I gave Mad Shark a quick spin in the old MAME. Boy, they were not kidding with the *ahem* homage.

AmyS

Yes, it was included on disc 3 of this set. I hope it's still available, I bought mine years ago.

http://vgmdb.net/album/3155

Fantastic, thanks for the info on that CD set.

I gave Mad Shark a quick spin in the old MAME. Boy, they were not kidding with the *ahem* homage.

Yep, I can't think of another 2D arcade developer besides Allumer that made such attempts to 'reproduce' other shmups like that.
Seibu Kaihatsu's Raiden, 1990 (Allumer's Mad Shark, 1993) and Irem's R-Type, 1987 (Allumer's Rezon, 1991).

petran79

Banned
i liked the Game Paradise shmup on MAME and Saturn. But they made it so difficult. Enemies shoot so unexpected and others lock their target on you and charge without leaving space for evasion. You have both ships and bullets to evade. I find it more difficult than a bullet hell game to be honest.
But game is so unique, like Parodius

Hey everyone, Degica here. DariusBurst CS is approaching fast now.

In order to avoid unexpected launch problems like we had for Mushihimesama, we would like to do a larger closed beta this time to thoroughly document any errors or feature requests before launch.

If you are willing to test the game, especially on co-op, dual monitor mode, and with various controller setups, please PM me with your email address for an invitation.

Please inquire only if you are serious about testing and can commit at least a few hours to it, it's a big game. Thanks for your interest!

gunstarhero

Hey everyone, Degica here. DariusBurst CS is approaching fast now.

In order to avoid unexpected launch problems like we had for Mushihimesama, we would like to do a larger closed beta this time to thoroughly document any errors or feature requests before launch.

If you are willing to test the game, especially on co-op, dual monitor mode, and with various controller setups, please PM me with your email address for an invitation.

Please inquire only if you are serious about testing and can commit at least a few hours to it, it's a big game. Thanks for your interest!

I assume this doesn't apply to PS4? Cause I'd be ALL OVER THAT SHIT!

The closed beta is just for the PC version at the moment.

Pricing is still under discussion. I'd like to check and make sure it's finalized before I make a confirmation on it.

@MUWANdo

Banned
STG prices on Steam right now:

Mushihimesama Matsuri Pack (game, 1.5 DLC, OST) - $17.49
Mushihimesama - $13.99
Mushi 1.5 DLC - $3.49
Mushi OST - $3.49

Eschatos Wonder Pack (game, OST, Judgement Silversword) - $13.99
Eschatos - $10.49
Eschatos OST - $3.49
Judgement Silversword - $3.49
Eschatos Arrange OST - $5.99

Shooting Love Anniversary Edition (Deltazeal, XIIZeal, Delta OST, XII OST) - $13.99
XIIZEAL - $5.99
XIIZEAL OST - $2.49
Deltazeal - $8.39
Deltazeal - $3.49

Crimzon Clover Deluxe Pack (game/OST) - $3.49
Crimzon Clover - $2.49
Crimzon Clover OST - $1.24
Crimzon Clover Majestic Pack (arrange OST, superplays, arcade flyers) -$2.49

Strania - $8.99

Ikaruga - $4.99

Raiden IV Overkill - $10.04
Raiden III - $2.49

BOTEC

Just played a bit of Strania, and it has pretty noticeable screen tearing. Is there an option to turn v-sync on without downloading third party software?

Momentary

Banned
Just played a bit of Strania, and it has pretty noticeable screen tearing. Is there an option to turn v-sync on without downloading third party software?

I don't think so. I'm going to have to get rivatuner. Forcing it through NVIDIA doesn't even work.

-Gozer-

I don't think so. I'm going to have to get rivatuner. Forcing it through NVIDIA doesn't even work.

That's weird. I'm forcing vsync through nvidia control panel without issue.

At first I tried forcing it through nvidia inspector but got an .exe association error when making the profile. I'm guessing it's due to the strania executable being named game.exe.

Momentary

Banned
That's weird. I'm forcing vsync through nvidia control panel without issue.

At first I tried forcing it through nvidia inspector but got an .exe association error when making the profile. I'm guessing it's due to the strania executable being named game.exe.

It might have to do with my laptop using this god awful NVIDIA Optimus bullshit.

Well, managed to get a beta application so I played Darius Burst CS on PC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9ESrBypxcA

Everything smooth, this game is simply awesome and I hope we can get a proper port of G-Darius (I have the Cyberfront edition from Japan which is just a port of the PSX port), Gaiden and I-II. Bring all the Darius to the comp, tuna sashimi was never this delicious.

Ikaruga, Strania, Mushi, Darius Burst, Raiden III/IV, possibly Caladrius and more coming, holy crap, I can't believe this is happening, what a time to be a PC player... To think I dropped joke prophecies on Twitter 3 years ago mentioning this was going to happen. Living up the prospector part, heh.

edit: I still think nothing tops the presentation of G-Darius. One of the few 3D games that hasn't aged that badly despite rough polygons. Shows what direction can do. (Absolute Defender, Eternal Triangle, Queen Fossil, you name it, most bosses have such badass appearances!)

-Gozer-

I'm a big fan of Darius Gaiden and G-Darius so I'm looking forward to checking out Darius Burst. I'm a bit unclear about some game play elements in Darius Burst though.

Can you not capture enemies or choose different zones to go to after defeating a boss in Darius Burst?

Teknoman

I'm a big fan of Darius Gaiden and G-Darius so I'm looking forward to checking out Darius Burst. I'm a bit unclear about some game play elements in Darius Burst though.

Can you not capture enemies or choose different zones to go to after defeating a boss in Darius Burst?

So far, it doesnt seem like you can choose different zones the same way as back in the day. But there is a TON of content between all the different modes. CS mode is beautiful. And the various arcade modes are pretty cool too.

Not sure about the capture feature since each ship is from a different generation of games, and as such as the capabilities from those games.

It feels like an R-Type Final of Darius.

-Gozer-

So far, it doesnt seem like you can choose different zones the same way as back in the day. But there is a TON of content between all the different modes. CS mode is beautiful. And the various arcade modes are pretty cool too.

Not sure about the capture feature since each ship is from a different generation of games, and as such as the capabilities from those games.

It feels like an R-Type Final of Darius.

Ah, I see.

It looks like the zones you go to depends on what ship you're using.

TGMIII

You can choose zones in AC mode, CS mode puts you through a number of per-determained zones with certain rules such as no pickups, no hit run, locked to a certain ship and things like that.

The capture mechanic from G-Darius isn't there. Instead it's replaced with the burst mechanic which gives you the ability to drop a laser like an option that you can aim while not firing and then lock into position by firing. It also gives you the ability to do a high powered focused beam straight from the ship which can be used to reflect certain beam attacks from enemies called a "counter burst" Some ships, such as Gaiden Silver hawk don't have this and is replaced with a bomb like special.

Here's an example. The timing of the counter changes per ship.

-Gozer-

Gotcha. That clears it up for me.

Thank you.

G-Darius had beam countering but using a captured enemy to create the beam. Looks like they changed that to using a fill-able meter in Darius Burst.

Yes, you can. In DB, you have two different game types: AC / Another Chronicle and Chronicle Saviour. In AC mode, you can chose from the oriiginal arcade mode, which lets you choice your route or chronicle mode where you are on a set path. The chronicle saviours game type is the same as the AC: chronicle mode, just with less stages.

*Too slow*

@MUWANdo

Banned
G-Darius had beam countering but using a captured enemy to create the beam. Looks like they changed that to using a fill-able meter in Darius Burst.

You can use the G-Darius ship (Genesis) in this game but it doesn't have the capture ball anymore; it has little gun pods that follow your ship that mimic the movements of some of the captured enemies from G-Darius, and your burst attack performs identically to the G-Darius beam rather than the new system.

Teknoman

Yes, you can. In DB, you have two different game types: AC / Another Chronicle and Chronicle Saviour. In AC mode, you can chose from the oriiginal arcade mode, which lets you choice your route or chronicle mode where you are on a set path. The chronicle saviours game type is the same as the AC: chronicle mode, just with less stages.

*Too slow*

That and Chronicle Saviours takes up the full screen + has some very light story element intro scenes.

gunstarhero

Not sure if you guys listen to the Dunk City podcast, but the latest episode (34) interviews one of the devs of the upcoming Datius Burst PS4/Steam port. Some really interesting stuff -

AmyS

zFleBfD.jpg

BOTEC

Looks like Raiden V is still happening, 2/25/16 is the release date, XBONE is still the platform. Pre-orders start 12/1, and the first print comes with a OST. Yoshimi Kudo (Basiscape) is the composer. Get your 7,400 yens ready.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201512/01094213.html

The official website still hasn't been updated. Looks like information overload in those side bars.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like Raiden V is still happening, 2/25/16 is the release date, XBONE is still the platform. Pre-orders start 12/1, and the first print comes with a OST. Yoshimi Kudo (Basiscape) is the composer. Get your 7,400 yens ready.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201512/01094213.html

The official website still hasn't been updated. Looks like information overload in those side bars.
Is Microsoft publishing? Cause if it's MOSS then RIP Raiden.

BOTEC

Is Microsoft publishing? Cause if it's MOSS then RIP Raiden.

I believe not, MOSS likes to self publish. At least that's what they did with IV, and then ported it to every other platform. I think the chances of this one staying exclusive are nill, unless that's where MS moneyhats come in. But even that would make little sense for them. It's not like Raiden V will sell consoles.

Mantiskilla

Neo Member
I believe not, MOSS likes to self publish. At least that's what they did with IV, and then ported it to every other platform. I think the chances of this one staying exclusive are nill, unless that's where MS moneyhats come in. But even that would make little sense for them. It's not like Raiden V will sell consoles.

Yeah I could see it coming to other platforms, but the interesting thing is that I could also see this one staying exclusive due to its features. It seems they are using the Microsoft Cloud architecture to add a lot of features to the gameplay (Player Ghosts, Level variations depending on player ghost data, etc.)

I'm not quite sure if it was ported to PS4 if they could take advantage of those features or not; however, a Steam version probably could. All I know is that I'll be getting this on XB1 for sure

Top Bottom