• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm Shocked. Hatchet Attack. This Thread will make you lose faith in humanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A woman pushing a baby carriage was randomly attacked by a man with a hatchet in Las Vegas not far from my house.

This is completely fucked up. The more fucked up thing? My partner is the woman's attending nurse at the hospital she's in. He cam home pretty depressed this morning.

LAS VEGAS -- A man who allegedly attacked two women and killed a baby with an ax may have struck the mother and infant randomly, Metro police said.
Video: Witness: I Tried To Stop Ax Attack
Police found a woman lying on a sidewalk and an overturned stroller nearby in the street when they responded to a domestic dispute call at about 11:51 a.m. Thursday.
The 4-month-old boy died at the scene, and woman, who is believed to be the baby’s mother, was in extremely critical condition at Sunrise Trauma Center Thursday night. Both suffered from head trauma and body injuries from an ax, police said.
Investigators said the suspect, Harold Montagu, 33, of Las Vegas, initially stabbed a woman in a home in the 1600 block of San Pedro Avenue.
Police said Montagu then ran into the street and attacked the woman and the infant in the stroller as they were walking by the home. Metro Lt. Lew Roberts said police think Montagu did not know the two and the attack on them was random.
The woman inside the home was suffering from multiple stab wounds and was transported to UMC Trauma Center, where she was last listed in stable condition Thursday night. Robert said it is not yet known how Montagu knew the woman found in the rear bedroom of the residence or what provoked the attack.
Witnesses tipped off the police that Montagu was hiding in a home at 1609 San Pedro Ave. As officers approached, Montagu left the residence without the ax and attacked one of them. After a brief struggle, the suspect was taken into custody, and the officer received minor injuries, Roberts said.
The infant’s identity and the exact cause and manner of death will be released by the Clark County Coroner’s Office. Roberts said the attack is still under investigation.
Police said they would not release Montagu's mug shot on Thursday because of the ongoing investigation.
Anyone with information is asked to call Metro’s homicide section at 702-828-3521 or Crime Stoppers at 702-385-5555.

video report: http://www.fox5vegas.com/video/22540310/index.html

Come on guys. There wouldnt be any debate about banning puns if it weren't for people not knowing what threads they can be used in and which they shouldn't. This isn't the thread for it.

I <3 Memes said:
Come on guys. There wouldnt be any debate about banning puns if it weren't for people not knowing what threads they can be used in and which they shouldn't. This isn't the thread for it.

Believe it or not, it wasn't originally meant as a pun. The attack is heartless but my faith was lost because of them long ago.

Alucrid

Banned
Ogni-XR21 said:
The poor mother, imagine waking up in a hospital just to be told that your 4 month old baby was killed...

Exactly. I hope she makes it...then again, I'm not sure if it would be best if she did. Horrible, just horrible.

silverburst said:
Believe it or not, it wasn't originally meant as a pun. The attack is heartless but my faith was lost because of them long ago.

No I realized that it was a coincidence. It was more about the .gif comment.

Aske

The guy attacked at random and seems mentally ill. That doesn't make me 'lose faith in humanity', as it might if the perpetrator was of sound mind. This is a sad story, but it feels more like I'm reading about a car crash than an insidious murder.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
GTFO with that backpedal, you think we're stupid?

Anyone bringing up ICP in this, of all threads, knows why they are doing so, and so do I.

Rickard said:
Anybody got a gif of the hatchet scene from burn after reading?

Why?, do you think posting it would be a good idea?

That is tragic. :-(

But that kind of think doesn't make me lose faith in humanity . . . that is just an isolated crazy fucker.

I lose my faith when more systemic problems that could be addressed are ignored due to callous indifference. And our collective stupidity in that we cannot take a long term view of things and solve big problems . . . we can't seem to plan more than 6 months or so in advance. And that is gonna bite us in the ass. Badly.

Rickard

Vennt said:
Why?, do you think posting it would be a good idea?

I'm going to be honest here. I think it would be heartless, tasteless, insensitive and a good reason to be banned, which is why I wanted to see if someone else would post it.

The mother had no idea that today was the day a crazed killer would attack her and her baby with a hatchet. It really makes me think about how fragile and short life can be. There are still so many things I want to do and a psycho could cut it short with no provocation.

Rickard said:
I'm going to be honest here. I think it would be heartless, tasteless, insensitive and a good reason to be banned, which is why I wanted to see if someone else would post it.

Good dodge :lol

Salmonax

It's hard to imagine how messed up your programming would have to be to kill a baby. We're instinctively hardwired to abhor the idea. Very sad.

dudeworld

Any one ever watched that show on Discovery called "Machines of Malice"?

Not saying that this case isn't inhumane, but the shit on that show seems way worse.

YoungHav

Banned
was the ICP guy permabanned?

These types of stories are crazy, sometimes I feel like getting a gun license. Was the attack on the woman in the house random also?

YoungHav said:
These types of stories are crazy, sometimes I feel like getting a gun license. Was the attack on the woman in the house random also?

Montagu did not know the two and the attack on them was random.
I'm not sure if they meant both ladies or just the woman and her child.

Ronok

Similar to the case about 6 years back near my house. A guy decapitated a stranger with an axe while kids were heading into school nearby. It was one of the strangest things I've ever woken up to. :-/

tmarques

ChubbyHuggs said:
Seriously?
For educations sake: ICP.
But that's enough of them on this thread.

Never heard of them. Seems pretty juvenile.

A couple of months ago here in Sao Paulo, one guy went into a bookstore with a baseball bat and cracked open the skull of the first person he saw. I think the victim is still in the ICU. The attacker denies the charges to this day despite being show surveilance footage.

As if life wasn't complicated enough without having to worry about being randomly attacked.

tmarques

speculawyer said:
That is tragic. :-(

But that kind of think doesn't make me lose faith in humanity . . . that is just an isolated crazy fucker.

True. And this kind of sh*t has been going on since... well, ever, despite people's belief that it's a modern society phenomenon.

LQX

Sickening, but I don't see how you can throw out that loss of faith in humanity crap often spouted here especially when it was lady confronting him that made him stop and run off. That to me takes a lot of humanity instead of running and hiding.

Ronok

BastardTrees said:
Threads like this make me wanna get a CC Glock 19 for self defense.

only like 400-475$ last I heard, not a bad investment.

Dunno how much that will help when someone randomly swings an axe at you. :-/

Ronok said:
Dunno how much that will help when someone randomly swings an axe at you. :-/
Yeah. You know the first swing would be a cheap shot and after that, you're probably going to be out of commission :(

edbrat

absolutely horiffic, crikey I hope the mother somehow recovers but what she is going through does not even bear thinking about.

We need to find out why the attacker was free to do this, whether warning signs had been missed or misinterpreted by authorities who might have prevented this. Then for once we should actually heed and act upon whatever lessons might be learnt, sickeningly this terrible thing has come to pass and we should take from it whatever we can to minimise the chances of it happening again.

so shocking ffs!

The Lamonster said:
Yeah. You know the first swing would be a cheap shot and after that, you're probably going to be out of commission :(

Shit D: knowing me, the day I choose not to carry it is the day I get axed. : |

Billen

Banned
This is just unbeliavably tragic. I feel so bad on behalf of the father and the rest of the family members involved.

I hope the fucker that did this gets salvaged for spare parts.

Zeppu

I also never heard of and don't get the connection between the ICP and this case and I don't think it's a good idea for anyone to explain it, but anyways.

WTF is wrong with this planet?

josephdebono said:
I also never heard of and don't get the connection between the ICP and this case and I don't think it's a good idea for anyone to explain it, but anyways.

I'm actually more than interested in what the connection is between this case and ICP. SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME

aoi tsuki

josephdebono said:

The logo for ICP is a guy with dreads running with a hatchet. Honestly it was the first thing i thought of too after seeing the word "hatchet".

Zeppu

Ah! Tasteless if he did it on purpose, even though he said he didn't. I dunno.

In any case, faith in humanity is generally lost and sometimes things make you feel better rather than the other way round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom