• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Potential terrorist stabs shopper to death and injures six others in Hamburg, Germany

Hold up hold up.

He was born in the U.A.E? Was he emarati? Because if he was then it would have taken all but a few days to get his papers.....the actual population of emarati is tiny.

If he was not emarati then he was someone who was asked to leave the country once he is 18 and flew to Germany because they have shit immigration

Neith

Banned
My condolences to the victims and their families.

That's a terrible fucking system.

Holy cow this outrageous and ridiculous stuff needs to stop happening. We have the craziest laws imaginable in Western culture, but we can't fucking deport someone because he has no papers? Like what the hell?

Holy cow this outrageous and ridiculous stuff needs to stop happening. We have the craziest laws imaginable in Western culture, but we can't fucking deport someone because he has no papers? Like what the hell?

People don't seem to realize that you can't just drop people without papers on some random country? Where would you deport a person with no passport/ID to begin with? Why would said country accept the person?

Neith

Banned
People don't seem to realize that you can't just drop people without papers on some random country? Where would you deport a person with no passport/ID to begin with? Why would said country accept the person?

I guess I meant to say this person would be locked up until they provided papers or some other information.

jelly

It's known that some immigrants destroy their papers when they get to Europe probably because they aren't escaping a war zone so their chances are slim of asylum. It'a a big risk to take but as with this guy you don't get deported, just in limbo and probably eventually get asylum?

You can't just parachute these people back. As for this example UAE, yeah the West is up their ass so doubt they will lean on them. You need safe havens before people even get to Europe, it's a big failure of the EU, UN etc.

I think Australia is pretty damn cruel and disgusting with migrants. It does seem to work though but quite a shameful state of affairs.

Wouldn't have been possible due to prison capacities.

Edit: I'm also not sure if that's even possible. There are laws and stuff..
But how can we allow random people to just walk around, not knowing who they are. If I go to any country and be like "I want to stay here, but I won't tell you who I am" they'll lock me up and for a good reason.

That's what asylum centers are for, holding people until the system can figure out who they are and whether they should stay. Imprisoning them would be inhumane.
But what good is such an asylum center if you can just leave whenever you want without any oversight?

KDR_11k

I guess I meant to say this person would be locked up until they provided papers or some other information.

That's what asylum centers are for, holding people until the system can figure out who they are and whether they should stay. Imprisoning them would be inhumane.

The bigger question is salafism and wahhabism. The authorities pretty much treat those religions as terror organizations but since they're religions they cannot be flagged as such. Of course news only reports on those who get violent or spread extremism, I wonder what the actual numbers are, how many of the followers of those religions are extremists?

Shredderi

Yeah the whole "no papers so I get to stay" thing is bullshit. I mean, it's obvious why it's the case because why would anyone else want to take someone with no papers, but some kind of countermeasure has to be invented.

Linkup

'Potential' because we don't know if he is arab/muslim yet, because reports of "Allahu Akbar" are unconfirmed, or because there may be a political element?

But how can we allow random people to just walk around, not knowing who they are. If I go to any country and be like "I want to stay here, but I won't tell you who I am" they'll lock me up and for a good reason.

You realise people do this everyday in the EU right? Move from one country the next and not inform any authorities.

I get what you're saying, but this was an odd example to use considering how the EU is set up.

Maz

You do realize UAE would just not let him into the country and send him straight back to germany?

The problem is these countries just don't take their citizens back

Being born in the UAE doesn't mean your a citizen, there's people that were born here and lived 30 years + and are still not citizens.

Immigration policy in the UAE is pretty brutal if you ask me

Lil' fun fact: the people cornering the guy were all men "immigrants" themselves. <3

That really helped keeping the usual hate after such an event at a low level.

You realise people do this everyday in the EU right? Move from one country the next and not inform any authorities.

I get what you're saying, but this was an odd example to use considering how the EU is set up.
Yes, for EU citizens. That is a different thing, because these countries have made agreements about this.

ViviOggi

Yeah the whole "no papers so I get to stay" thing is bullshit. I mean, it's obvious why it's the case because why would anyone else want to take someone with no papers, but some kind of countermeasure has to be invented.
It's bullshit indeed because that's not how it works

Yes, for EU citizens. That is a different thing, because these countries have made agreements about this.

I don't want to get into semantics, but have you moved between EU countries? It's really not as hard as you might think unless you're going through a train station or airport. Passports are rarely checked at some border crossings. Hell, some aren't even manned.

Again, I get what you're saying but the example might work better where countries have much tighter border controls than the EU.

Boss Mog

The media likes to sensationalize these terrorists but really native Europeans don't worry about terrorists that much, the bigger concern when it comes to mass immigration are the heinous crimes and injustices, which they are much more likely to fall victim to, committed on a daily basis and that the media rarely reports on.

I don't want to get into semantics, but have you moved between EU countries? It's really not as hard as you might think unless you're going through a train station or airport. Passports are rarely checked at some border crossings. Hell, some aren't even manned.

Again, I get what you're saying but the example might work better where countries have much tighter border controls than the EU.
But this has little to do with the discussion. The problem is people from outside the EU arriving without papers and then we can't sent them back again.

Once you are a EU citizen, go nuts, move wherever you want, that is the deal we have between these countries. And you do need to register for a ton of things. If you move to Holland for example and plan to stay, you need to register with the local authorities within 30 days of arriving and you will need identification for that. Otherwise you don't get the needed papers to apply for jobs, open a bank account, get unemployment benefits later on, etc.

I can't just go here, knock on the doors of the local authorities and go: I want to stay here, but I don't have papers, and expect them to allow me to do so without questions asked. Even within the EU.

Of course, if you have the money or your job allows you to work from wherever, you can just move around and nobody cares, but you are still a EU citizen from a country that made agreements for that with the bloc. Countries like the UAE don't have that.

But this has little to do with the discussion. The problem is people from outside the EU arriving without papers and then we can't sent them back again.

Once you are a EU citizen, go nuts, move wherever you want, that is the deal we have between these countries. And you do need to register for a ton of things. If you move to Holland for example and plan to stay, you need to register with the local authorities within 30 days of arriving and you will need identification for that. Otherwise you don't get the needed papers to apply for jobs, open a bank account, get unemployment benefits later on, etc.

I can't just go here, knock on the doors of the local authorities and go: I want to stay here, but I don't have papers, and expect them to allow me to do so without questions asked. Even within the EU.

Of course, if you have the money or your job allows you to work from wherever, you can just move around and nobody cares, but you are still a EU citizen from a country that made agreements for that with the bloc. Countries like the UAE don't have that.

I feel we're on the same page here.

My point is that enforcement isn't as good as it could be due to freedom of movement, which is why people, who aren't supposed to be in the EU, are able to move around as freely as they do.

You take the rough with the smooth. You can move from one country to the next and no-one will bat an eye, but the same is also true for someone who is here illegally. We can argue it shouldn't be, but unless freedom of movement is made harder for everyone, it's an unfortunate side effect we have to deal with.

cameron

Minor update via AP: Hamburg stabbing suspect known as radical, mentally unstable
BERLIN — A German official says the man who fatally stabbed one person and wounded several others in Hamburg was known to authorities as an Islamic radical but also was psychologically unstable.

The suspect, a 26-year-old born in the United Arab Emirates, was quickly overwhelmed by passers-by and arrested after Friday’s attack in Hamburg’s Barmbek district.

Hamburg’s state interior minister, Andy Grote, said the man — whose asylum claim had been rejected — was known to have been radicalized but hadn’t been considered dangerous.

Grote said the man’s motive remained unclear Saturday, but he is believed to have acted alone and not been linked to an extremist network.

The man stabbed at least five people besides the one who was killed. Grote says none of the survivors’ wounds are considered life-threatening.

On the discussion about the challenges EU countries face with deportation, I'm reminded of this story from December, BBC: Mali sends back migrants deported by France
Mali has sent back two people who were deported from France on the same planes they arrived on, questioning whether they were even Malian citizens.

The pair were flown to Bamako using European travel permits or "laissez-passer", not passports or other Malian papers, the government said.

The government said it could not accept people "simply assumed to be Malian".

Recent reports of a deal with the EU to repatriate failed Malian asylum seekers have sparked protests.

In a statement, the Malian government condemned the use of the European "laissez-passez" in cases of expulsion, describing it as "against international conventions".

It also warned airlines not to let people using the document fly to Mali.

The French authorities have not yet commented.

Malians are among the sub-Saharan African nationalities most deported from France:

This "psychologically unstable" man that was "known to have been radicalized" was not dangerous. But, of course. No wonder people are losing faith in how this stuff is being handled.

Top Bottom