• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bear thanks Salmon for a fine meal, picks teeth with Salmon bones

From CVG

Shigeru Miyamoto has told CVG that he sees the invention of Microsoft's Project Natal and Sony's PS3 Move as a "great honour" - because they offer user experiences that Nintendo "originated".

Speaking in a huge interview set to be published on CVG soon, Miyamoto revealed that Nintendo is not focused on competing with its rivals' motion devices.

The design of Sony's PS3 wand Move appears to have been influenced by Nintendo's own Wii Remote - an idea Sony has already made efforts to refute.

When asked what his thoughts were on Natal and Move, Miyamoto told CVG: "Nintendo should welcome the opportunity when or where something we have originally tried is intensified by somebody else, because that means that other people are trying to starting to show their appreciation for whatever endeavour we have made in the beginning.

"The user experience we have created is going to be intensified by the advent of new machines from other companies. It's a new experience that we originated. So we really see it as a great honour."

Miyamoto referenced Wii MotionPlus, saying that Nintendo had improved on its own existing technology in the past - but that its focus is coming up with brand new concepts.

He commented: "What is very important for Nintendo is always thinking in terms of the appropriate types technology for us - unique and unprecedented entertainment to come up with technology that's something new. That's our mission.

"It needs to be something very different, something unique. That's something we always look for. Of course, sometimes we need to intensify the forms we have already come up with, but that's not the first priority for us. Competing with other companies in that category is never our top priority."

Pretty classy statement if you ask me. Avoids venom or overt animosity, with just a little bit of a bite. He also seems to acknowledge the technical superiority of Move, by saying that their ideas have been "intensified".

Speevy

Banned
He'll only be honored if they don't succeed. Then he'll be angered. And you don't want to see Miyamoto angry.

MrPliskin

Banned
...really, Nintendo originated motion control? I think Konami and Namco would like to have a word with you, Nintendo, they've got quite a few things they've done over the last decade in arcades...

Also, isn't the design of move fairly similar to it's prototype, that was patented and demo'd long before the launch of the Nintendo Wii?

Sensationalist writing ftw!

Speevy said:
He'll only be honored if they don't succeed. Then he'll be angered. And you don't want to see Miyamoto angry.

Angry Miyamoto makes Mario Galaxy.

Gamers would love to see an angry, motivated Miyamoto.

JKBii

When you defy all conventional wisdom and the direction of an entire industry and a few years later everyone is emulating what made you a success, you deserve a pat on the back.

Swittcher

Banned
I wouldn't be exactly "honored" if everyone copied what I did, after three years of them saying to everyone and anyone they had no interest in copying what they just copied from me.

Copy?

equap

Banned
MrPliskin said:
...really, Nintendo originated motion control? I think Konami and Namco would like to have a word with you, Nintendo, they've got quite a few things they've done over the last decade in arcades...
seriously! that asshole is so full of himself...it's pretty annoying.

GDGF said:
Classic Miyamoto.

I want to have a beer with this guy.
If Nintendo lets you.

At E3...I want to say 2005, NOA reps ran around taking up the cards he passed out with his private e-mail on it. I got to hold one for like twenty seconds.

Swittcher

Banned
MrPliskin said:

Yeah, cuz that's the exact same thing:

Arcades and Consoles.

Alot of overlap there.

Medalion

Banned
MrPliskin said:

But Nintendo found a way to make it mainstream, not the concept of motion controls themselves an invention of his idea. And now the competition is following suit.

MrPliskin said:

Also, isn't the design of move fairly similar to it's prototype, that was patented and demo'd long before the launch of the Nintendo Wii?

this.

Speevy

Banned
What if Nintendo had this genius foresight that the whole motion control phenomenon was going to burn out the second this generation was over, so they released a traditional console and left their competitors in the dust with failed concepts?

WillyFive

That's what Nintendo always says. They are "honored".

But then again, Sony and Microsoft always seem to honor them.

equap said:
seriously! that $@&%!#* is so full of himself...it's pretty annoying.

Hopefully that's sarcasm.

MrPliskin

Banned
equap said:
seriously! that asshole is so full of himself...it's pretty annoying.

I'm not saying he's full of himself, quite the opposite, he's a nice guy. Just a little silly for him to say they 'originated the experience' when really all they did was bring it home.

Though, honestly if anyone else said it, I'm sure there would be a different tune here on GAF (and around the web).

MrPliskin said:
I'm not saying he's full of himself, quite the opposite, he's a nice guy. Just a little silly for him to say they 'originated the experience' when really all they did was bring it home.

Though, honestly if anyone else said it, I'm sure there would be a different tune here on GAF (and around the web).
I don't know that picking out words and having a semantic discussion on a translated interview is all that wise.

MrPliskin said:

Oh right because home consoles are the same thing as arcades...

*Drags over my huge arcade cabinet into the living room*

Swittcher

Banned
MrPliskin said:

Because they would be wrong, maybe?

monocromo

"Honored" by the Playstation Move..? Sure... they're basically the same.

But Natal..? Shouldn't Sony be honored..? It's a (much better) PlayStation Eye.

edit...

gofreak said:
I think Sony should be an awful lot more honoured by Natal than Nintendo...

I like you.

clashfan

iamaustrian said:
Miyamoto is the nicest guy ever.
while others constantly insult, he chooses his words wisely

Sounds more like a backdoor dis at MS and sony. He never gives praise to any games not made by Nintendo.

tiff

Banned
MrPliskin said:
well, you don't think the Wii didn't have anything to do with the decision to go with Natal and Move, do you?

Speevy said:
What if Nintendo had this genius foresight that the whole motion control phenomenon was going to burn out the second this generation was over, so they released a traditional console and left their competitors in the dust with failed concepts?
I think it's safe to say we're all extremely interested to see what the follow up to the Wii will be, from a strategy standpoint that is.

tokkun

Are people really still ignoring those Sony videos of their motion controller from 2004? I thought that was pretty convincing proof that they were not copying Nintendo's technology.

M3d10n

He's not being nice. Imitators of a leading disruptive product actually reinforce said product's image even more.

Spwn

MrPliskin said:

And that isn't much? Nintendo was laughed at for bringing the motion controls to homes. They had the guts to do it when Sony and MS didn't see it as people at Nintendo did.

MrPliskin

Banned
Zoramon089 said:
Oh right because home consoles are the same thing as arcades...

*Drags over my huge arcade cabinet into the living room*

So then you think playing the Konami boxing arcade game with the gloves (replaceable by a wiimote and nunchuck) is a different experience from Wii Boxing? Please do explain, because from a gameplay standpoint, they are identical.

There wasn't much in the way of 'poineering' or 'originating' with the Wii, outside of taking now affordable technology that had only previously been seen in arcades, and putting it in with older hardware to keep the costs down and get it in homes at low prices.

Threi

notag
iamaustrian said:
Miyamoto is the nicest guy ever.
while others constantly insult, he chooses his words wisely
More like they know who is intended to hear the interview. MS and Sony know that dumbass system wars manchildren will know right away what any PR spokesperson says in interviews, so why not make them say "hell yeah" by insulting other consoles/companies for no good reason?

Vizion28

Banned
Yeah, after all the years Miyamoto and his crew faced ridicule and contempt from Sony and Microsoft for Wii Sports and Wii Fit both companies are trying to copy his steelo with "me too" type games with Natal Fit and Move Sports. Both companies and the nerdcores thought Miyamoto has lost his mind but he's still revolutionizing the industry. The man is a true genius.

I wish more developers thought outside the box.

MrPliskin said:

Patented and demo'd. Not released...Until Wii was a proven success. Let's not kid ourselves. None of these companies invented motion control. They simply developed a form factor and packaged it successfully for the mainstream consumer. And Nintendo did it first.

wrowa

MrPliskin said:

You completely missed the point, but whatever.

Somnid

MrPliskin said:

And nobody gives a shit about them. They originated obscurity.

MrPliskin said:

The "prototype" was just a colored rod that the EyeToy could track. Everything else seemed pretty much lifted out of the Wiimote.

And once again GAF assumes that, because a thread was made about a quote, the person saying it must have called a press conference specifically to say so.

The interviewer couldn't have asked them the question, no.

The only thing Nintendo can take credit for is being the first to rush out a console with a motion controller to take advantage of people wanting something new.

Top Bottom