• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trainwreck friends. Do you have any?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronito

Anyone have friends that have lives that are just comedic trainwrecks. Nothing really serious like drugs or abuse or something like that. Just people that keep making stupid decisions that consistently end up going poorly for them.

For example,

I have friend who's fairly handsome and has a good job. He likes to seriously date between 3-6 women at a time. Of course they all find out about each other and that leads to all kinds of drama.

Another example I have a friend and she always picks out assholes for her boyfriends, ignoring the nice guys that are vying for her attention. Again lots of self inflicted drama on this.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
As I got older, these "friends"disappeared.

I am that friend, unfortunately.

my other nickname is Hot Tragic Mess :lol

But I love my friends for putting up with it, so there's a bright side.

Alucard

Banned
I have a friend who always complains about being in debt, but then she's on FB talking about the latest concert tickets, dresses, DVDs, and CDs she's purchased. She also just bought a brand new car. Because that makes sense if you owe 5 figures in debt.

She also wanted to be a journalist, but then changed her mind because there weren't any jobs in the field. So what did she choose as her fallback? Teaching. Because there are so many jobs and it is so easy to get into. Right.

Then she blames her stalled life on having a b/f who is holding her back. But she does this so passive aggressively, and doesn't take responsibility for her own actions, that it's infuriating.

The worst part is that if you try calling her on anything she gets really emotional and defensive. I know there is a good person somewhere in there, but her BS is just...damn.

ronito said:
Another example I have a friend and she always picks out assholes for her boyfriends, ignoring the nice guys that are vying for her attention. Again lots of self inflicted drama on this.

So you want to date her, right? That's what I thought. Girl-Age thread in disguise, people.

S. L.

yeah, like my old flatmate. who disappeared one day and after weeks of trying to track him down, we found him in a closed psychiatry :lol :lol

LosDaddie

Banned
otake said:
As I got older, these "friends"disappeared.

Yup. As I've got older and gained more responsibilities (career, wife, house and kid) the less I saw these friends. For me, it all started when I first went to college.

Now the only trainwrecks I know are family members.

No. But a lot of the friends I made in high school completely fell off the boat. Some are dead. A lot are addicted to drugs. I don't associate with them. It sucks. They used to be a really cool lot and... now there isn't anyone.

Bearthgar

Banned
OnkelC said:
not anymore.
hannibal-lecter-hopkinsopt.jpg

Yeah one of my housemates.

Mostly cause he managed to fail the 1st year of his degree, twice in a row, and is constantly broke. This is especially annoying when he owes you quite a bit of money.

He also dresses strangely, smokes a pipe, never cleans up his shit, and his room smells like something died in there.

Shiv47

I have a friend who had a decent IT job, apartment, car, was doing okay. Decided he hated life in that field and moved to Portland, because he's a big cycling nut and that is apparently bicycle mecca. He gets another IT job while trying to settle shit, but hates the soul-crushing pain it causes him. He quits. Trouble is, he has no college degree, so no one will hire him for anything other than IT. His money ran out, so now he lives with some friends as essentially their indentured servant, doing their house/yardwork for room and board. He has sworn off all possessions aside from essentials like his iPhone and wants to become homeless by choice, living in some kind of bizarro bike-pulled mini-house. Lately, he was bitching because he went back to school and lost his food stamp eligibility. I'm sorta glad he doesn't live in our area any longer so we don't have him sponging off of us.

Aesius

Shiv47 said:
I have a friend who had a decent IT job, apartment, car, was doing okay. Decided he hated life in that field and moved to Portland, because he's a big cycling nut and that is apparently bicycle mecca. He gets another IT job while trying to settle shit, but hates the soul-crushing pain it causes him. He quits. Trouble is, he has no college degree, so no one will hire him for anything other than IT. His money ran out, so now he lives with some friends as essentially their indentured servant, doing their house/yardwork for room and board. He has sworn off all possessions aside from essentials like his iPhone and wants to become homeless by choice, living in some kind of bizarro bike-pulled mini-house. Lately, he was bitching because he went back to school and lost his food stamp eligibility. I'm sorta glad he doesn't live in our area any longer so we don't have him sponging off of us.

:lol

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I have a friend I've known for about 11 years, since I only have about 3 friends i've known that long, I keep her in my life, but at a very healthy distance. She is an absolute mess of a person, and I don't blame her for it. When your mother continues to spend time with the man who raped you repeatedly as a child, I would think that might fuck you up in the head. And thats only the basis of the emotional and mental mindfuck she's dealt with her whole life. So yeah, not so much a funny trainwreck as a horrifying one. The worst part is she is a wonderful person underneath all the insanity, it just barely shows up, and unfortunately it tends to only show up when she's drunk or high.

Other than that, I have a few acquaintances that are hilarious trainwrecks, I do spend much of my time in a small town afterall. I used to know a kid who would get together with his buddies and beat the crap out of each other with 2X4's so they could go to the hospital and get pain pills.

Have a friend who just turned 24:

-Lives at parent's home
-No college
-Had a pretty decent gig working construction around the country for a while, but got fired for allegedly completely trashing hotel rooms
-Sold coke, heroin and weed in high school
-Has a developmentally challenged kid because his girlfriend did a ton of drugs when pregnant
-No sense of responsibility, routinely gets completely wasted when his kid's around. Heard an incident where he drunkenly slipped and hit his head on the corner of a coffee table and got a nasty gash, his parents are still paying off the medical bills
-Multiple DUIs
-Got his driver's license suspended for 5 years as a result
-Zero ambition to get his life back on track

Despite all of this, he's a pretty nice guy and is fun to hang out with. But he's all heart and no brains and continuously makes awful life decisions. What's worse is that myself and my other friends try to help him out but our advice just doesn't register with him.

Red Blaster said:
Have a friend who just turned 24:

-Lives at parent's home
-No college
-Had a pretty decent gig working construction around the country for a while, but got fired for allegedly completely trashing hotel rooms
-Sold coke, heroin and weed in high school
-Has a developmentally challenged kid because his girlfriend did a ton of drugs when pregnant
-No sense of responsibility, routinely gets completely wasted when his kid's around. Heard an incident where he drunkenly slipped and hit his head on the corner of a coffee table and got a nasty gash, his parents are still paying off the medical bills
-Multiple DUIs
-Got his driver's license suspended for 5 years as a result
-Zero ambition to get his life back on track

Despite all of this, he's a pretty nice guy and is fun to hang out with. But he's all heart and no brains and continuously makes awful life decisions. What's worse is that myself and my other friends try to help him out but our advice just doesn't register with him.

Eh.

Zero Hero

missbreedsiddx said:
I have a friend I've known for about 11 years, since I only have about 3 friends i've known that long, I keep her in my life, but at a very healthy distance. She is an absolute mess of a person, and I don't blame her for it. When your mother continues to spend time with the man who raped you repeatedly as a child, I would think that might fuck you up in the head. And thats only the basis of the emotional and mental mindfuck she's dealt with her whole life. So yeah, not so much a funny trainwreck as a horrifying one. The worst part is she is a wonderful person underneath all the insanity, it just barely shows up, and unfortunately it tends to only show up when she's drunk or high.

Other than that, I have a few acquaintances that are hilarious trainwrecks, I do spend much of my time in a small town afterall. I used to know a kid who would get together with his buddies and beat the crap out of each other with 2X4's so they could go to the hospital and get pain pills.

You're friends with Precious? I seriously don't understand how that shit is tolerated by the mother. smh

On topic, I don't have any but my wife has a few.

Should've read the OP more carefully, didn't see comedic trainwrecks in there. Yeah, my aforementioned friend's issues are not a laughing matter.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Zero Hero said:
You're friends with Precious? I seriously don't understand how that shit is tolerated by the mother. smh

On topic, I don't have any but my wife has a few.

Her mother is really the core of the issue, as odd as it sounds, she's done more damage than the guy who raped her did. Her continued neglect and belittlement of my friend guarantees she will never be ok as long as she is around her mother.

Also, I should throw out that most of the women i've dated fall under the hilarious trainwreck category. I have a thing for girls that might set my bed on fire when i'm asleep in it.

ronito said:
I definitely misread this the first time through. :lol

Yeah my friend keeps dating and crying over a girl who left him for stupid reason. Its kind of annoying as you have to constantly hear about how life sucks and he will never love again.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
A close friend of mine, since the 7th grade... he's 29 years old and still lives at home (well, where we live, this isn't entirely unheard of), but

-he has no job whatsoever
-he has never worked for longer than 3 week stretches, and those occur once every few years
-still relies on his parents to support him completely
-never bothers to reach out to anyone to hang out with him
-no motivation to find a job, find other friends move out, etc
-doesn't know how to pump his own gas
-very whiny and carries on like a brat if he doesn't get his own way, ESPECIALLY around people he doesn't know well, which means I can never bring him around other friends of mine

He is fun to hang out with, we get along well and have similar tastes in video games and media, but as real life responsibilities have been piling up, I haven't really been able to hang out with him much lately. I have no idea what he is gonna do with himself, especially when the gravy train stops rolling in...

Sh1ner

Was the trainwreck friend originally, but not any more.

I have a serious problem, I keep making friends that I know are trainwrecks beforehand. They are so much more interesting with real problems then normal people who want to talk about football and how the weather is. I try to help my train wreck friends with advice. But there is always that fine line with friends that are women and you know they are dating someone worse than an asshole and everyone agrees and some have said it directly to her face.

WHAT WOULD U DO GAF? I have kept the peace since its a 2 way street and she has clearly made her choice.

*sidenote, I fail talking to non-trainwrecks, apart from idle conversation, I do not find them engaging. Hope to change this some way some how.

Alucrid

Banned
Not cool man. Train wrecks kill people.

djtiesto said:
A close friend of mine, since the 7th grade... he's 29 years old and still lives at home (well, where we live, this isn't entirely unheard of), but

-he has no job whatsoever
-he has never worked for longer than 3 week stretches, and those occur once every few years
-still relies on his parents to support him completely
-never bothers to reach out to anyone to hang out with him
-no motivation to find a job, find other friends move out, etc
-doesn't know how to pump his own gas
-very whiny and carries on like a brat if he doesn't get his own way, ESPECIALLY around people he doesn't know well, which means I can never bring him around other friends of mine

He is fun to hang out with, we get along well and have similar tastes in video games and media, but as real life responsibilities have been piling up, I haven't really been able to hang out with him much lately. I have no idea what he is gonna do with himself, especially when the gravy train stops rolling in...

I was expecting a "posts on GAF" bullet point.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
I have two. One comedic and one tragic. Actually the comedic on is pretty tragic too if you think about his situation but he's so fucking retarded and has so many people helping and supporting him it keeps him from slipping into the dark abyss of tragedy.

MIMIC

Banned
No, but my friend is a SHIT TON of trainwreck friends. He introduced me to this one girl that ended up marrying a guy she just met....who just got out of prison.

He went to a huge high school so maybe that's why he has so many disaster friends. But he's the complete opposite of these crazy people.

i have a friend that join the marines went through boot camp, decided that he didn't want to be there and went awol. While on awol vacation with a mate he meet in boot camp they still cashing out on there salary. They spend most that money on weed and bus tickets to florida. They run out of money goes back to boot gets put in to legal limbo for awol. they get other then honorable discharges. guy is now jobless and playing wow.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
ronito said:
I have friend who's fairly handsome and has a good job. He likes to seriously date between 3-6 women at a time. Of course they all find out about each other and that leads to all kinds of drama.

There should be nothing wrong with this. Is he in a relationship with all of them? If not, courting more than one woman at a time is acceptable.

Barrage

ronito said:

Then I guess all my female frinends are trainwrecks.

including the ones who fool around with me

ronito

Phobophile said:
There should be nothing wrong with this. Is he in a relationship with all of them? If not, courting more than one woman at a time is acceptable.
relationship.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Eh, I've had some bad trainwreck friends in the past. They weren't worth keeping around though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom