• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time to gear up for the next LTS Ubuntu release!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So coming out this Thursday to the world is Lucid Lynx aka Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. For those that aren't familar LTS stands for Long Term Support, and means they get a longer support cycle compared to in between releases that just get short support post new release and just expect you to upgrade.

Here is the Ubuntu 10.04 technical overview for the Release Candidate that just went up at the end of last week. So while the final version might have a bug fix or two it'll give you a general overview of what to expect from this release. I'll highlight some of the major things in this release bellow...

Linux kernel 2.6.32
Gnome 2.3
KDE 4.4
New default open source nvidia driver
Built in social network feature
Another round of boot optimization
Ubuntu One Music Store
Software Center introed in 9.10 gets streamlined and takes over
New default theme gets rid of the brown adds in the grey

Care enough that this sounds intriguing, but not enough to deal with the hassle? Well thankfully over the past couple of years people have got ya covered on this. Want to try it out and run Windows? Use the Wubi Installer which will download the latest version of Ubuntu in whatever flavor you prefer and set it up and partion and all that jazz for you. It's just setup like an installed program in windows, and if you want to get rid of it just go to add and remove programs like any other windows program, select ubuntu from the list, and uninstall away!

Plus there is always the Unetbootin which you can download, choose your linux flavor (not just ubuntu), and then install on a flash drive just to check things out.

SPLASH SCREEN
ubuntu1004branding-small_004.png

DARK
ubuntu1004branding-small_002.png

LIGHT
ubuntu1004branding-small_003.png

BTMash

One large thing to keep in mind for those that use ubuntu lts for running a LAMP configuration is that 10.04 installs with PHP 5.3x which may be incompatible with some PHP applications.

Doytch

It's about time for a new OS on my netbook...haven't been running Linux on it since last year, any chance that Adobe got off their ass and made Flash not suck horribly on it anymore?

Vanillalite

Doytch said:
It's about time for a new OS on my netbook...haven't been running Linux on it since last year, any chance that Adobe got off their ass and made Flash not suck horribly on it anymore?

If your gonna run Linux on your netbook I'd suggest going with Moblin if you want a full(er) featured version on your netbook though Ubuntu has a netbook remix. Chrome OS is okay, but IDK from what I read it's rather limited compared to Moblin.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Sweet!
I use Ubuntu at work. It's great for development (but not-so-great at some other things).
I'll probably upgrade.

10.4 is LTS? Awesome, I was going to put it on my laptop anyway, but having the luxury of not having to upgrade again in a year is great.

Xubuntu for life!
Because GNOME and KDE suck, not because XFCE is cool...

RevoDS

Haven't used Ubuntu since the last LTS release (8.04 IIRC). I loved it back then, but I needed Windows for iTunes and hated dual-booting. Might try it out again just for the hell of it now that I sync my iPod with my Mac. It seems to have progressed quite nicely since then.

quaere

As usual it's beta quality compared to an OS X or Windows release.

I had the RC crash while trying to load the Gnome theme on the third boot. And support for my printer (Brother HL2170W) was fine in 9.10 but has been broken. It'll spool a print job for literally hours before finally printing anything.

I realize it's basically an impossible job without the resources of MS or the closed hardware platform of OS X, but still, that's the reality of it...

Megadrive said:
Amazing! Thanks so much guys.

Edit: Too easy for me to keep the steps in your post jay?

Once 10.04 is officially released, it should show up in your Update Manager, no need to use the command line and follow those steps.

Vanillalite

mf.luder said:
Can't wait for this, been following the Betas Must try to not compare the new GUI to that if Leopard (10.5).

Well to be fair you can choose a different gui if the default gnome doesn't do it for ya.

tokkun

Brettison said:
Linux kernel 2.6.32

The new kernel reportedly fixes the bug in 9.10 kernel that causes Guest OSes to run like shit under virtualization. Can't come soon enough, since my Windows 7 runs like a dog using Virtualbox on an i7.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
please make it so that getting my lcd to work with lcdproc isn't like witchcraft mixed with rocket science.

pmj

aswedc said:
I realize it's basically an impossible job without the resources of MS or the closed hardware platform of OS X, but still, that's the reality of it...
Microsoft writes Brother's printer drivers now?

Anyway, kinda excited about this. I'm still on 9.04 so it's about time I upgrade. Open source Nvidia driver is fantastic news.

Vanillalite

catfish said:
please make it so that getting my lcd to work with lcdproc isn't like witchcraft mixed with rocket science.

Somehow I doubt it'll help ya but who knows. Probably something more to do with LCDProc, but I could be crazy.

Beta and RC have been working great on my laptop. I really like the new menus in the "notification area". And the fast bootup is nice, though with a 5400RPM laptop there's only so much you can gain.

Very much looking forward to the release this Thursday! :)

tokkun

pmj said:
Anyway, kinda excited about this. I'm still on 9.04 so it's about time I upgrade. Open source Nvidia driver is fantastic news.

Is there some reason you can't use the binary driver? If memory serves, Nvidia said they would no longer be updating the open source driver in the future, so it's sort of a dead end.

tokkun said:
Is there some reason you can't use the binary driver? If memory serves, Nvidia said they would no longer be updating the open source driver in the future, so it's sort of a dead end.
That's true, but Nvidia was talking about their own open source driver. They discontinued that one, but the Nouveau open source drivers now included with Ubuntu are made by non-Nvidia developers (by reverse engineering).

Doytch

Brettison said:
If your gonna run Linux on your netbook I'd suggest going with Moblin if you want a full(er) featured version on your netbook though Ubuntu has a netbook remix. Chrome OS is okay, but IDK from what I read it's rather limited compared to Moblin.
Eh, I'm generally not a big fan of those netbook UIs. I passed on them last time in favour of Crunchbang (which I really liked!)

Alcoori

I've been using 9.10 for just 2 months now and I was gonna switch back to Windows because I couldn't sync my Ipod Touch without jailbreaking it and shit and I really didn't wanna do that. I've read that Lucid Lynx would support it natively now so I'll give it a try!

Also, for some reason Ubuntu makes my laptop processor run at 100% capacity whatever I do, as a result my laptop is burning up and I had it shut down a couple of times because of that. I've tried to follow tutorials and stuff on how to control your processor usage/fans speed but seems like mine wasn't recognized by Ubuntu for some reason... Let's hope this new version fixes it!

Vanillalite

Suitcase Test said:
That's true, but Nvidia was talking about their own open source driver. They discontinued that one, but the Nouveau open source drivers now included with Ubuntu are made by non-Nvidia developers (by reverse engineering).

Yeah supposedly the Nouveau drive is good stuff according to the open source community. Granted I never was an open source freak in that I couldn't just use a binary. Either way this doesn't effect me since I have an Ati card right now anyways.

Could be good stuff for Nvidia people though!

Vespasian

Neo Member
And lets not forget Agda and its standard library will only be a `sudo apt-get`-away in Lucid! I suspect I'll be the only one in this thread overjoyed to hear that news.

tokkun

Suitcase Test said:

How does the Nouveau driver compare to the Nvidia binary driver, though? Is there any non-ideological reason to use it?

tokkun said:
How does the Nouveau driver compare to the Nvidia binary driver, though? Is there any non-ideological reason to use it?
From what I've heard, it's supposed to have made massive gains recently. However, it still only does 2D. Gallium provides 3D, but apparently you need to know some serious computer-fu to get that installed.

That's what I know at least, I'm really not an expert and haven't tried it myself. :)

I plan to try it out when Lucid is released, but I'll probably stick to the closed source Nvidia driver.

Vanillalite

Vespasian said:
And lets not forget Agda and its standard library will only be a `sudo apt-get`-away in Lucid! I suspect I'll be the only one in this thread overjoyed to hear that news.

I didn't know what it was, but just did a quick look up. Seems rather cool though I'm not sure when I'd need to do that sort of math even if I'm programing or something.

pmj

tokkun said:
I was an early adopter of xcompmgr, Compiz and Beryl and each time I had to give up because of numerous driver related crashes. Not really a problem anymore it seems, but Nvidia's inability/disinterest to fix their shit for years left a really bad taste in my mouth. It'll be nice to get away from the installation procedures and the differences between the repo and the Nivida provided drivers too. If you don't know what you're doing, playing with that can easily break shit. My system is half broken right now, actually.

Hopefully Nouveau does the job and lets me use my computer without me ever having to even think about drivers. Every other piece of hardware I own works perfectly, and they do so from the first boot after installtion without me having to lift a finger, and video cards should be no different.

As for features, I think you can forget Wine, 3D games and CUDA.

Vanillalite

pmj said:
I was an early adopter of xcompmgr, Compiz and Beryl and each time I had to give up because of numerous driver related crashes. Not really a problem anymore it seems, but Nvidia's inability/disinterest to fix their shit for years left a really bad taste in my mouth. It'll be nice to get away from the installation procedures and the differences between the repo and the Nivida provided drivers too. If you don't know what you're doing, playing with that can easily break shit. My system is half broken right now, actually.

Hopefully Nouveau does the job and lets me use my computer without me ever having to even think about drivers. Every other piece of hardware I own works perfectly, and they do so from the first boot after installtion without me having to lift a finger, and video cards should be no different.

As for features, I think you can forget Wine, 3D games and CUDA.

It sucks though as I know at least Wine and CUDA not working are big downers for a lot of people. 3D games probably not so much as it's well Linux... unless we are talking 3D games in Wine.

Threi

notag
every PC user should have Ubuntu installed via WUBI. It's so simple, and can be used for troubleshooting.

Vanillalite

Threi said:
every PC user should have Ubuntu installed via WUBI. It's so simple, and can be used for troubleshooting.

I will say I use to just try out stuff maybe once every few years, but Wubi made things so easy that I now try out each new version of the distro when they hit. The ease of installing just made it so my curiosity of trying each new version could be done hassle free. I'd go so far as to say Wubi is the best thing for me personally to have happened to something linux related in YEARS.

Oh fuck, this means that support for my release ends soon :| I fell behind early last year when I didn't have time to upgrade (didn't have time to settle all the kinks I ran into every damn time I update caused by my old PC).

My PC is so old anyway but still :| :| :|

Any screenshots of the new theme?

Vanillalite

I'm gonna edit my initial post with screens of the new look!

You get yourself two choices they have dubbed "Light" and "Dark" and while they've always had light and dark themes to choose from before from the preinstalled themes list these are different.

I must admit while I thought the Human look was a better step over the usual brown they were doing it still looked rather well I'll be nice and just say displeasing. I gotta say at least in the screens I'm much more down with this. Sure it's just aesthetics, but IMO if they want to attract more users this is gonna matter going forward. I think it's obvious they understand this though ergo why the theme has been a big focus ever since 8.04.

PS: You can upgrade your existing install to this new version so I wouldn't fret to much about what you have installed unless it's in a production environment.

Ecrofirt

Brettison said:
I'm gonna edit my initial post with screens of the new look!

You get yourself two choices they have dubbed "Light" and "Dark" and while they've always had light and dark themes to choose from before from the preinstalled themes list these are different.

I must admit while I thought the Human look was a better step over the usual brown they were doing it still looked rather well I'll be nice and just say displeasing. I gotta say at least in the screens I'm much more down with this. Sure it's just aesthetics, but IMO if they want to attract more users this is gonna matter going forward. I think it's obvious they understand this though ergo why the theme has been a big focus ever since 8.04.

PS: You can upgrade your existing install to this new version so I wouldn't fret to much about what you have installed unless it's in a production environment.
I would just like to thank you for posting this thread. Before it, I had never heard of Unetbootin. Now I've easily tried a bunch of Linux distros on a netbook in the office.

Thank you.

Vanillalite

Ecrofirt said:
I would just like to thank you for posting this thread. Before it, I had never heard of Unetbootin. Now I've easily tried a bunch of Linux distros on a netbook in the office.

Thank you.

That's also handy to have around if Windows ever gets borked and you need a way to get stuff off your HDD. No need to burn a live cd you can just have a linux distro on your flash drive instead.

Vanillalite

01.png

Not sure just when the distro will go live. It should probably be up by the morning for most people though.

Vanillalite

Distro is gonna be up later today. They had a last minute bug that involves grub which you can read about here. After some debate they deiced they wanted to respin the distro at least in terms of Ubuntu. It's up to the others if Kubuntu or Xubuntu get respun or just a quick patch post install.

Incidident report!

"Incident Description

We had a late discovery of GRUB bootloader bug affecting dual-boot users of Ubuntu. When installing in a dual-boot environment, the other operating system will not appear at first in the GRUB menu. Installing the available updates and rebooting will fix this issue. However, it was determined the day of the release that this is not an optimal solution for new users or those not connected to the Internet. "

Doytch

First thing I'm gonna do is ditch that ugly theme. Ever since they unveiled it I've thought the window control buttons were hideous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom