• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time to gear up for the next LTS Ubuntu release!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xyphie

DLing now, first thing I'll do is get rid of the stupid Mac-style window controls, seriously who at Canonical thought it was a good idea to put them on the left side?

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN
Guys, im new to Ubuntu, but it has worked flawlessly so far. However i get some troube when mounting one of my hard drives (ntfs) called "Reserva". It sometimes work, and other times it doesn't and i get a long error code, and after that i can no longer see it.

Any help? Thanks.

neoanarch

SuperÑ said:
Guys, im new to Ubuntu, but it has worked flawlessly so far. However i get some troube when mounting one of my hard drives (ntfs) called "Reserva". It sometimes work, and other times it doesn't and i get a long error code, and after that i can no longer see it.

Any help? Thanks.

Post the error code. Long Error code isn't very specific.

Doytch said:
First thing I'm gonna do is ditch that ugly theme. Ever since they unveiled it I've thought the window control buttons were hideous.
I totally agreed, that was the same thing I thought when they first showed the screenshots. The website mockups were awesome, and the new theme's panel and icons are cool too, but those buttons and pulldown-menus are awful. A hideous shade of puke-brown or something.

I like the sandy brown for the menu highlights though.

SuperÑ said:

Any help? Thanks.
What's the error code?

Xabora

btw the 10.04 iso should have the proper Wubi installer, if you want to keep it in a folder and not in a partition.

Since the Wubi site host for the installer is still on 9.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So I just completed my intall Wubi style. I downloaded the 64 bit via the torrent, and then ran Wubi. Smooth as usual. Only thing was the download speed for some of the added files at the end of the install were kinda slow as was the download for my ati driver. To be expected on release day though.

I must say I know they were pimp'n 9.10 to be sort of the Ubuntu is finally there version. Like it was just a refinement of 9.04, and it was suppose to be IDK "it". I never ever really got that sense even if I thought the two 9 releases were definitely getting closer ever really since IMO the last LTS 8.04.

Booting this up though IDK something just clicked.I finally feel like the Lynx just has it. Everything seems smooth, no hassles, I like some of the new features, boot up is quick, and no headaches. I'll admit though the buttons on the left side is totally fuck'n with me though. Then again alls I've done is download my graphics driver, connect to google talk, and load of FF so I could get my add ons.

At first I liked ambience, but I think I like...

Fuck I forgot the name of the lighter then and went to minimize FF to right click on the desktop to go to my themes and find the name... and I went to right side again to minimize... SERIOUSLY FUCK'N WITH ME! :lol

Anyways yeah think I like radiance better. The dark bar for no script just wasn't doing it for me with ambience.

PS: The official Ubuntu webpage as an up to date Wubi installer. You just have to click other install options then you get stuff like torrent or wubi.

itxaka

Defeatist
Brettison said:
So I just completed my intall Wubi style. I downloaded the 64 bit via the torrent, and then ran Wubi. Smooth as usual. Only thing was the download speed for some of the added files at the end of the install were kinda slow as was the download for my ati driver. To be expected on release day though.

I must say I know they were pimp'n 9.10 to be sort of the Ubuntu is finally there version. Like it was just a refinement of 9.04, and it was suppose to be IDK "it". I never ever really got that sense even if I thought the two 9 releases were definitely getting closer ever really since IMO the last LTS 8.04.

Booting this up though IDK something just clicked.I finally feel like the Lynx just has it. Everything seems smooth, no hassles, I like some of the new features, boot up is quick, and no headaches. I'll admit though the buttons on the left side is totally fuck'n with me though. Then again alls I've done is download my graphics driver, connect to google talk, and load of FF so I could get my add ons.

At first I liked ambience, but I think I like...

Fuck I forgot the name of the lighter then and went to minimize FF to right click on the desktop to go to my themes and find the name... and I went to right side again to minimize... SERIOUSLY FUCK'N WITH ME! :lol

Anyways yeah think I like radiance better. The dark bar for no script just wasn't doing it for me with ambience.

PS: The official Ubuntu webpage as an up to date Wubi installer. You just have to click other install options then you get stuff like torrent or wubi.

Ambience is the light one? I hate it. Hated since the first day (alpha/beta tester here) and the icons on the system tray looked horrible. Dark one FTW

Anyway, the controls on the left suck for some time until you get used to it. I change now from windows to Ubuntu and don't even notice that I'm clicking on the other side. In fact, I always have problems with chromium as it still has the controls on the right so I go to the left to close it every goddam time.

Awesome release. And finally I can manage my iphone on linux!

Vanillalite

No Radiance is the light one... ambiance is the dark one... the dark one is fine for a time, but I hated it making the bottom of FF all dark with my no script.

Downloading now, updating from 9.10. I'll post later if I have any issues, hopefully I don't have to do a fresh install.

:) Thanks for the heads up, OP!

Vanillalite

Use the torrent fool. Of course the download from the server is slow. Click alternative download options and grab the torrent. I got it downloaded in under 20 mins.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Alcoori said:
Also, for some reason Ubuntu makes my laptop processor run at 100% capacity whatever I do, as a result my laptop is burning up and I had it shut down a couple of times because of that. I've tried to follow tutorials and stuff on how to control your processor usage/fans speed but seems like mine wasn't recognized by Ubuntu for some reason... Let's hope this new version fixes it!
Do you have a Dell Latitude by any chance?

Brettison said:
Use the torrent fool. Of course the download from the server is slow. Click alternative download options and grab the torrent. I got it downloaded in under 20 mins.
i used main and it downloaded in under 15 minutes ;P

Vanillalite

DMPrince said:
i used main and it downloaded in under 15 minutes ;P

LOL I didn't mean to come off as a dick in my post about my download time. Just saying the torrent is there, and I see no reason why that won't work! :D

Man I am having so much trouble getting this image on a USB flash drive so I can update my netbook. Anyone get the USB creator app to work? It is not even recognizing the iso image when I select it.

Alright! Finished downloading and now it's installing. 90 mins to go, it seems. Hmmm... Will the update require my input later on, or can I just go to sleep and review in the morning?

Vanillalite

FunkyPajamas said:
Alright! Finished downloading and now it's installing. 90 mins to go, it seems. Hmmm... Will the update require my input later on, or can I just go to sleep and review in the morning?

Once the install goes it goes for a bit. You'd be okay leaving it till tomorrow.

Oh thank God, I finally got that USB loader program in ubuntu to create a startup disk on an external drive. That program is so damn buggy it is not even funny. When you press the format button it does not even indicate that it is formatting, I just payed attention to the busy light on my HDD to figure out that it was done. Then after it was done formatting it still did not let me make a startup disk, I had to exit the program and re-open it. Finally it recognized it.

clav

Upgrading from Netbook Remixed 9.10. Not going to do a clean format.

Waiting right now as it is now installing.

Damn, this is really easy.

Vanillalite

Only problem I've run into so far is that flash works, but I can't actually click on the flash videos. Like a video on youtube will play, but I can't click on the video and fast forward or anything like that.

i installed it earlier but realized i didn't need to make a partition. windows wouldn't extend my main back unless i had the whole volume unallocated. so i ended up deleting the ubuntu partition and going to reinstall now. i wish steam worked on it :lol

If I change my sources to a local (non-counted) source, will it download and update from there? I have very little fast bandwidth left and I'd like to savour it.

Vanillalite

Megadrive said:
If I change my sources to a local (non-counted) source, will it download and update from there? I have very little fast bandwidth left and I'd like to savour it.

I'd say yes, but don't quote me on that. Sucks that people have to deal with bandwidth issues like this. For all the hate comcast gets I was totally down with my 1.5 down I was getting in my torrent download yesterday with no worries about hitting a cap since it's so high.

I finally found a good Gmail applet for the Messaging Menu (gm-notify from the PPA). But I can't find anything for Emesene. Both the Messaging Menu and the Indicator Applet Session (which changes your IM status) only work with Empathy (and for MSN, Emesene >>> Empathy). There's a plugin for Emesene to let it use the Messaging Menu, but that only gets me halfway. Well, at least there's another plugin to convert Emesene's tray icon to a "menu" type of thing.

I'm looking forward to seeing more Indicator Applets in 10.10, hopefully one for Downloads and one for Music. Those are needed badly. :)

And I agree that the light theme is awful. The default dark one is a lot better, IMHO.

//Edit: I like how this release is much, much more polished than Karmic. I had no major issues with the Koala, but things like the Messaging Menu and the Software Center were only half finished, which made them suck pretty bad. This time, I actually use (and love) them. :)

I downloaded the 10.4 netbook remix image, made a usb installer and attempted to install. It hangs at 50%. It has also wiped the previous OS (eeebuntu) and I can only run the OS from the usb. Not good.

Eeebuntu hung at 33% but after a few retries it installed. No such luck this time.

Any ideas?

VAIL said:
I upgraded my wubi install of 9.10 and it went without a hitch, nice speed improvement :)
Really? I'm trying to install Ubuntu via Wubi on my netbook and no matter how I configure it it says "Permission denied" every time it tries to install. Turning off Windows Firewall does no good and the text file it tells me to read is gibberish. Does anyone have the same problem?

zaxor0

Sadako Yamamura said:
I downloaded the 10.4 netbook remix image, made a usb installer and attempted to install. It hangs at 50%. It has also wiped the previous OS (eeebuntu) and I can only run the OS from the usb. Not good.

Eeebuntu hung at 33% but after a few retries it installed. No such luck this time.

Any ideas?

Can you get a livecd image running? maybe try to reformat the drive to something like ntfs and then start a new install

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I updated my bro's Netbook Remix, the wallpaper gives it a mac kind of feel. I don't know about you guys, but I found the shut down time blazingly fast, it shut down in like 7 to 10 seconds max after clicking shutdown.

Vanillalite

peakish said:
How did you fix it? I'm having the same troubles.

IDK I tried all kinds of shit yesterday. Today I just reinstalled the flash plugin for mozilla in the repository and it worked when I went to youtube. IDK why it finally worked, but it works. I also seem to be getting the new youtube interface 100% of the time now.

is it a good idea to use the 64 bits version? last time i updated - back in the 9.04 version - i had some problems with the 64 bit one. i don't remember exactly what it was, but something wasn't working. either ati drivers, or some program didn't compile or something. so i switched to 32 bits

i was already downloading the 32 bit version but if the 64 one is stable i'll use it. the problem is that it's hard to know when/if that's gonna come back to bite me in the ass

Green Biker Dude said:
is it a good idea to use the 64 bits version? last time i updated - back in the 9.04 version - i had some problems with the 64 bit one. i don't remember exactly what it was, but something wasn't working. either ati drivers, or some program didn't compile or something. so i switched to 32 bits

i was already downloading the 32 bit version but if the 64 one is stable i'll use it. the problem is that it's hard to know when/if that's gonna come back to bite me in the ass
The 64-bit system itself is fine (I'm using it right now). Most open source applications also have 64-bit versions. However, sometimes they don't (I'm currently having trouble with 32-bit Processing/Arduino) and closed source software is sometimes still needed (drivers, Flash, etc... Flash is available in 64-bit though).

Sew said:
Rumour has it we won't be waiting too long for that.
Yeah, I read that too. Oh man, I hope it's true. It's Phoronix, so we should take it with a grain of salt, but still. Only reason I still use Windows often is because of TF2.

This would be the only thing Valve could do to be even MORE awesome. :D

rc213

Running it now on my laptop but I can't figure out which Nvidia drivers I should install. Also the Flash/Shockwave doesn't seem to work.

rc213 said:
Running it now on my laptop but I can't figure out which Nvidia drivers I should install. Also the Flash/Shockwave doesn't seem to work.
My install usually has one of the Nvidia drivers marked "recommended". Is it not called that on your machine? //Edit: I had a look at my hardware drivers. One says "(version 173)" and the other says "(version current) [Recommended]", how about yours?

Also, to install Flash (and some other codecs and stuff), go to the Ubuntu Software Center and search for "Restricted Extras". One package to install pretty much everything.

claviertekky said:
Upgrading from Netbook Remixed 9.10. Not going to do a clean format.

Waiting right now as it is now installing.

Damn, this is really easy.
how's it working for you so far? I had 9.10 UNR on my machine for a bit and liked it, but put XP back on it to sell it. I haven't sold it, so I'm downloading 10.04 for a fresh install. I'm worried that I'll have to do the rigmarole like I did for 9.10 to get my wireless working, but if it works out-of-box (so to speak) that would be great.

rc213

Suitcase Test said:
My install usually has one of the Nvidia drivers marked "recommended". Is it not called that on your machine? //Edit: I had a look at my hardware drivers. One says "(version 173)" and the other says "(version current) [Recommended]", how about yours?

Also, to install Flash (and some other codecs and stuff), go to the Ubuntu Software Center and search for "Restricted Extras". One package to install pretty much everything.

Thanks I will check that out and let you know how it goes.

argh. Put it on my netbook and the wireless has the same problem that it's had in the past two releases: it won't work without an external driver install. Broadcom made Linux drivers available, shouldn't said drivers be included in these releases?

Doytch

I threw the Netbook version on my eee 1000h over the weekend....wireless won't work out-of-the-box though which is a shame since it used to in older versions. Only way I could get it to connect was by switching my router from AES+TKIP to just AES, which isn't really a solution imo.

itxaka

Defeatist
allegate said:
argh. Put it on my netbook and the wireless has the same problem that it's had in the past two releases: it won't work without an external driver install. Broadcom made Linux drivers available, shouldn't said drivers be included in these releases?

They are restricted drivers (non-free) so they won't include them on the main distro, like the restricted extras (java, libdcss, flash)

It's a shame, but it only takes a minute to get them working:

sudo aptitude install bcmwl-kernel-source

or

manually download it from http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/bcmwl-kernel-source

I threw the Netbook version on my eee 1000h over the weekend....wireless won't work out-of-the-box though which is a shame since it used to in older versions. Only way I could get it to connect was by switching my router from AES+TKIP to just AES, which isn't really a solution imo.

which card does the 1000h has? My 1005ha works out of the box with AES+TKIP

EDIT: Pro-tip for people having problems with 32 bit programs on a 64 bit distro: launch the program with linux32 in front of it, so the system knows it has to use the 32 bit libraries. For example, to run the quake 3 installer (doesn't work with 64 bit distros):

linux32 linuxq3apoint-1.30.x86.run

tokkun

itxaka said:
They are restricted drivers (non-free) so they won't include them on the main distro, like the restricted extras (java, libdcss, flash)

It's a shame, but it only takes a minute to get them working:

Alternatively one could install Linux Mint, which is based on Ubuntu and includes many of the more commonly used restricted apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom