• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time to gear up for the next LTS Ubuntu release!

Status
Not open for further replies.
itxaka said:
They are restricted drivers (non-free) so they won't include them on the main distro, like the restricted extras (java, libdcss, flash)

It's a shame, but it only takes a minute to get them working:

sudo aptitude install bcmwl-kernel-source

or

manually download it from http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/bcmwl-kernel-source
I've got the wireless to work in previous versions but it still annoys me. I'm just looking at the fact the drivers are freely available from Broadcom but aren't included.

itxaka

Defeatist
allegate said:
I've got the wireless to work in previous versions but it still annoys me. I'm just looking at the fact the drivers are freely available from Broadcom but aren't included.

what the hell? The source code is included? I don't understand why are they restricted then :(

Maybe a bug report should be filled so they are included.

EDIT: Rigth, the license that broadcom releases the source code, clashes with the one from Ubuntu main category so they have to move it to the restricted area.

Sucks :(

tokkun said:
The new kernel reportedly fixes the bug in 9.10 kernel that causes Guest OSes to run like shit under virtualization. Can't come soon enough, since my Windows 7 runs like a dog using Virtualbox on an i7.

Wow that's a bug in the kernel ?

I use Ubuntu on my Work PC and all my VMs under VMware are dog slow (compared to when I ran Windows as my Host OS).

I need to backup and install 10.04.

Ecrofirt

So, I'm having a hell of a time getting the Microsoft Core Fonts to work.

I've installed the restricted extras, and I can confirm that ttf-mscorefonts-installer is installed. However, none of the fonts actually seem to be installed at all.

Nothing shows up in OpenOffice, and my internet browsing is still using the Ubuntu default fonts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom