• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie Announces Firefight Mode for Halo: Reach

GhaleonEB

Bungie.net | Announcement and Firefight trailer | Weapon, enemy and player renders | New screenshots

Press Round Up

Feature Summary

• 4-player
  • Matchmaking support with feature parity to Multiplayer (Social preferences, connection settings, etc.)
  • An absurd level of customization, detailed below

Custom Options | I've transcribed what has been shown of the customization options in Firefight here. It's absurd.

Game types

Standard | "It's a one-set match that's designed to be shorter and more casual. Pop in, pop out, go eat a steak."

Generator Defense | The gametype from the Reach Beta, but the Covenant are trying to destroy generators.

Rocket Fight | "This mode is just you, your buddies, armor abilities, and an infinite supply of rockets.."​

Weapons and Armor Ability

Target Locator | "Use it to paint targets, and you'll be rewarded by a bombardment by an orbiting fleet."

Concussion Rifle | "It fires explosive plasma rounds"

Drop Shield | Halo 3's Bubble Shield, but it also regenerates health of those inside - and it can only take so much damage before being destroyed.

xqfbrq.jpg

Maps

Beachhead

Reach_E310_Firefight_Beachhead03.jpg

Waterfront

Reach_E310_Firefight_Waterfront01.jpg

Images

Reach_E310_Firefight_Beachhead06.jpg

Reach_E310_Firefight_Beachhead05.jpg

Reach_E310_Firefight_Beachhead01.jpg

Reach_E310_Firefight_Beachhead04.jpg

Reach_E310_Firefight_Waterfront04.jpg

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Awesome but...didn't we all know Firefight was going to be in Reach?

thetrin said:
Awesome but...didn't we all know Firefight was going to be in Reach?

Yeah, but it wasn't technically confirmed and no real specific details were released until now.

I, for one, am super stoked!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
mutha fucking bubble shield returns, looking even better then halo 3's!

(and isnt it the bubbleshield that heals teammates acting as a medic?)

It was more or less a given after seeing it in ODST and Reach being their next halo title. Matchmaking is just what that mode seriously required.

op_ivy

"drop shield... bubble shield mixed with healing abilities"

so not 2 seperate new AA, but one SUPER AA :D

Monocle

Prophet Steve said:
But there only were 2 minutes...
Well, that was a rough estimate. When I found a stream the reveal was already playing. Most of the new details that have been mentioned in this thread are new to me, so I assume I missed good footage.

Barakov

So happy there will be matchmaking for Reach's firefight mode. The customization for the waves sounds insane.

ampere

Nice to see it confirmed, I wonder how that bubble shield will work. Maybe like the other armor types with a cooldown?

ODST's firefight was just the tip of the iceberg-- shit just got real in Reach.

With all the variables you can now customize and matchmaking (knew it was coming from the Beta, but it's wonderful to hear out loud), it's going to be hard for me to tear myself away for the conventional multiplayer. :D

The G4 segment was far too short, though. I needs me some more, dammit! Hopefully, we'll get something a bit more substantial from IGN.

op_ivy

ciaossu said:
Nice to see it confirmed, I wonder how that bubble shield will work. Maybe like the other armor types with a cooldown?

from the video you get a single use until the bubble expires, then the meter refills... roughly 20 seconds or so (no, i didnt count)

Oh, so the Bubble Shield also heals? Guess I really wasn't paying attention to what they were saying. That's really cool though.

pringles

Not sure why everyone wants matchmaking in Firefight, playing with random strangers who don't talk and quit in the middle of games is not what that mode needs. It should be played with people on your friends list who you would trust with your life. Okay maybe I'm being melodramatic, but you get my point.

ampere

op_ivy said:
from the video you get a single use until the bubble expires, then the meter refills... roughly 20 seconds or so (no, i didnt count)
Ah gotcha, makes sense.

Matchmaking for firefight is really exciting :D

Why For? said:
So Reach basically just became the only game I need to play until April next year?
:lol Yeah pretty much :D

I never understood why people would want to play a cooperative gametype with randoms from matchmaking. But judging by the reaction to this news and ODST a lot of people do :/

subrock

pringles said:
Not sure why everyone wants matchmaking in Firefight, playing with random strangers who don't talk and quit in the middle of games is not what that mode needs. It should be played with people on your friends list who you would trust with your life. Okay maybe I'm being melodramatic, but you get my point.
you're right, playing alone is way better.

Jironimo

Neo Member
GhaleonEB said:
Also announced:

A "medic" armor ability
A deployable bubble shield, similar to Halo 3
These two are the same thing. It's called a "Drop Shield" and it's a bubble shield with a healing ability.

Also, the thing that drops the airstrike (which I assume is the MAC cannon) is called the "Laser Designator".

I have the interview recorded. Let me know if there's anything else you want me to confirm.

FilthyLies said:
I never understood why people would want to play a cooperative gametype with randoms from matchmaking. But judging by the reaction to this news and ODST a lot of people do :/

Not everyone has big friends lists of people who play Halo, or have similar schedules as their friends. My buddies live on campus at a college that blocks Live, so I'm constantly in my apartment with no way to play firefight. If it's a choice between randoms or not at all, I'd rather have randoms.

Why For? said:
So Reach basically just became the only game I need to play until April next year?

For me, it's the only game I need to play for the rest of my life.

Not really, but it will be more than good enough for a long time

op_ivy

Ken Masters said:
match making support? Thank you bungie for adding support to a feature that should have always been there

yup. sadly, the odst team was a small team, working on a small scale expansion of halo 3. the fact that they added firefight at all was great, but it used campaign tech, and therefore had no matchmaking backbone. it was simply not possible to add it for the scale of that project. of course it would be in reach though, its a new engine and bungie's major development focus.

One of the very big reasons I want this game. Firefight/Horde mode forever. Better be a lot of map choices this time. I wanted more Lost Platoon-style, vehicle-friendly maps in ODST.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Not sure if Firefight matchmaking is something that I am likely to use.

Hopefully the ability to customize rules will allow for some less dull, more frantic possibilities. Like more, stronger enemies that spawn faster. Shouldn't take so long to actually get challenging.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
FilthyLies said:

I'm sure there are tons of other people just like us who want to have fun games of Firefight. We're "randoms" just like they are.

Top Bottom