• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoko Shimomura on Versus XIII, Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded and The 3rd Birthday

Pooya

andriasang

Shimomura feels the Aya charater has the image of piano. Not a mellow piano theme, though.

Shimomura also worked on the soundtrack for the original Parasite Eve. Asked if she'd be reusing themes from that game, she said that the music will not be carried over as is. However, she feels that amongst her works, Parasite Eve is a game with music of a different color, and she'd like to carry that image over.

Famitsu noted that the latest trailer (see it here) has a piano and drum theme running in the background during the battle sequence. This, said Shimomura, is the style of melody we can expect for the game as a whole. She wants the sound to have a hard feel to it, with firm rhythms and pounding piano songs.

Regarding her work on Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded, Shimomura said she's doing three songs for the game. This is up from the two songs she did for the original Coded. She's able to relatively relax while making the Re:Coded music, as Tetsuya Nomura's orders aren't too tough.

Famitsu was able to hear one song in advance, and they described it as cute. The song they heard, Shimomura explained, was for the game's "Data World." She made it sound somewhat like Famicom chip tunes. However, she also took care to make sure it had the feel of Kingdom Hearts.

Hearing chip tunes will not be the only thing that makes players feel nostalgic about Re: Coded, though. Shimomura also said the game will also include a large number of songs from the original Kingdom Hearts, something that she believes will also make fans feel nostalgic.

Moving on to Versus XIII, Shimomura wouldn't say much. In fact, she didn't really say anything at all. The development staff is currently forming a framework for the game's music. Shimomura noted that they have to be careful about making too firm an image, as the music may then not end up fitting with the game. They're currently considering the possibilities for many different music types, a phase of development that she enjoys.

She said that reading all the passionate message about Versus XIII on blogs and so-forth, she understands how anticipated the game is.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
badcrumble said:
Doesn't sound like the composition process for Versus is very far along...
Well she has been busy with KH and Last Ranker, and to a lesser extent Xenoblade. Plus she has more KH as well as 3rd Birthday to oversee before Versus comes out.

Yasae

Banned
Please have a reiteration of "Out of Phase" for The Third Birthday, Shimomura. That was a great theme.

Peff

Shimomura also said the game will also include a large number of songs from the original Kingdom Hearts, something that she believes will also make fans feel nostalgic.

Again :(? Maybe they did, the first time.

duckroll

<3 <3 <3 Shimomura!

For a moment there I thought someone renamed my thread, but it's nice to see he has a write up on the full Shimomura interview. I think I'll be picking up this week's Famitsu later this week. Definitely an issue to own. :D

mello

She is an incredible musician, perhaps the best in the industry at the moment. I value her opinion. ^^;

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Shimomura is my god.

I love the 2 songs done in Versus XIII (extended trailer song and Somnus).

Kyoufu

She is a Goddess. She has no equal. Queen amongst queens etc.

Versus XIII will be her first mainline FF composition AFAIK. It should be incredible.

GhaleonQ

I can't believe that she hasn't gone into a Sakuraba-like meltdown with all of the work she does. She's my favorite, and I'm concerned for her health. SLEEP, SHIMOMURA. YOU LOOK TERRIBLE.

mello

GhaleonQ said:
I can't believe that she hasn't gone into a Sakuraba-like meltdown with all of the work she does. She's my favorite, and I'm concerned for her health. SLEEP, SHIMOMURA. YOU LOOK TERRIBLE.

She doesn't look terrible at all, shes pretty. Leave her alone! :(

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Kyoufu said:

Versus XIII will be her first mainline FF composition. It should be incredible.

VersusXIII is about as mainline as Tactics.

GhaleonQ said:

I think she looks a lot better than Nomura, whose workload is about as strenuous as hers.

Shadow780

Well she didn't really say anything about Versus..:lol

Good to know Aya theme will be piano-based, I love piano themes.

Also: Rahxephon, stay out.

GhaleonQ said:

Yeah, she's burning the candle at both end neh?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Do you think we'll ever get a real "Best of Shimomura" soundtrack? Not this "Only Her Squeenix's Works" bullshit that was Drammatica. :(

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Hopefully she'll do a better job with this than Bowser's Inside Story. One of the most obnoxious and grating soundtracks in an RPG. I'd take the most forgettable Sakuraba score over that any day of the week :p
and it's a shame because I loved her work with Live A Live

mello

Regulus Tera said:
Do you think we'll ever get a real "Best of Shimomura" soundtrack? Not this "Only Her Squeenix's Works" bullshit that was Drammatica. :(

Most of her work is with S-E though. She did do an original non S-E related album with Chata recently however. Pretty mellow.

Regulus Tera said:
VersusXIII is about as mainline as Tactics.

Eh, not quite. Tactics was released around other FF titles and in a way, shared some of the spotlight in a time where there wasn't as much time between each release. With the way development is going, Versus XIII could potentially be the only console Final Fantasy released in 2011...if not 2012. I have a feeling SE will push it just as much as XIII and XIV.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Pai Pai Master said:
Eh, not quite. Tactics was released around other FF titles and in a way, shared some of the spotlight in a time where there wasn't as much time between each release. With the way development is going, Versus XIII could potentially be the only console Final Fantasy released in 2011...if not 2012. I have a feeling SE will push it just as much as XIII and XIV.

That doesn't make it a mainline game.

Let me make it clearer: If we consider Versus a mainline game we ought to consider The After Years and Dirge of Cerberus too.

EDIT: In the end though, I have to admit "mainliness" is kind of a pointless topic.

mello

Regulus Tera said:

Let me make it clearer: If we consider Versus a mainline game we ought to consider The After Years and Dirge of Cerberus too.

EDIT: In the end though, I have to admit "mainliness" is kind of a pointless topic.

The After Years is a sequel. We wouldn't consider none of these games mainline. However Versus XIII breeds similarities to DoC in the sense that it's part of a compilation.

Yeah haha. I just don't think it'll be as quiet of a release as something like Tactics. It may not be Final Fantasy XV but I think as we get closer to its release we'll be seeing plenty of marketing and support from SE as if it were.

GhaleonQ

Seda said:
Speaking of Sakuraba, is he working on anything now? He was a composer for the Golden Sun games right? Is he doing anything with Dark Dawn?

I assume so, from the videos. Tales is taking a break, so that might be perfect. Otherwise, some work on Tales Of Graces and Resonance Of Fate?

mello said:
She doesn't look terrible at all, shes pretty. Leave her alone! :(

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/interview/sx4j/vol1/index.html She went from adorable grandma to a kappa. Be honest.

Aru

Kyoufu said:

Versus XIII will be her first mainline FF composition AFAIK. It should be incredible.

Any FF title that isn't called "FF + number" isn't mainline.

Regulus Tera said:

wut
After Years and Dirge are side stories based off other games, Versus is a completely original story..

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Re:Coded's ost isn't sounding too hot tbh (chiptunes for a new track + the expected rehashes) but I have faith even if it's just a side thing. Can't wait to hear what she comes up with for 3rd Birthday and Versus and how different those soundtracks will feel from one another.

Am I the only one who feels that games like Versus XIII, 3rd Birthday and even Agito XIII, perhaps, are sorta-kinda-maybe reminiscent of the kind of "vibe" that Square used to dabble in during the PS1 era? I dunno, maybe I'm just being the optimist again.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
brandonh83 said:
Am I the only one who feels that games like Versus XIII, 3rd Birthday and even Agito XIII, perhaps, are sorta-kinda-maybe reminiscent of the kind of "vibe" that Square used to dabble in during the PS1 era? I dunno, maybe I'm just being the optimist again.

No, I completely agree with you. Which is why I want them SOON.

Kagari said:
No, I completely agree with you. Which is why I want them SOON.

I liked FFXIII, it just had too many flaws and half-assed aspects for a mainline FF installment. Here's hoping that was just a misfire. I'm just sad that the misfire had to happen on a game that I anticipated for 4 years.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
brandonh83 said:
I liked FFXIII, it just had too many flaws and half-assed aspects for a mainline FF installment. Here's hoping that was just a misfire. I'm just sad that the misfire had to happen on a game that I anticipated for 4 years.

We can be disappointed together <3

mello said:
The After Years is a sequel. We wouldn't consider none of these games mainline. However Versus XIII breeds similarities to DoC in the sense that it's part of a compilation.

Versus XIII is a very high budget, and highly anticipated FF spin off game. But it is a spin off nonetheless.

The name doesn't matter really. The game is what it is.

Myriadis

There are other composers that I prefer,like Kumi Tanioka,but there were several Songs in KHII that I really loved.

anaron

Yasae said:
Please have a reiteration of "Out of Phase" for The Third Birthday, Shimomura. That was a great theme.
Agreed. I can't imagine them making a new parasite eve WITH the original composer and not using theme of Aya in some capacity.

Top Bottom