• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light new gameplay vid, XBLA-bound on 18th Aug

New gameplay video here, courtesy of Eurogamer. New environments and weapon upgrades detailed.

http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/lara-croft-gameplay-detailed

Downloadable Tomb Raider game Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light will be exclusively available on the Xbox 360 for at least four weeks.

This is a requirement of all games that are a part of Microsoft’s Summer of Arcade promotion, Crystal Dynamics told Eurogamer in a new interview.

Guardian of Light will be released on Xbox Live on 18th August for 1200 Microsoft Points (£10).

Crystal Dynamics hopes the PC and PlayStation 3 versions of the game will be released on Steam and PlayStation Network respectively as soon as the window of exclusivity is up.

"As with all arcade titles, irrespective of platform, you have to go through your submissions before they agree and approve a date. Unlike a disc based title where we can pick our window, you have to go by what the first parties approve and give you a date, to make sure you're not coming out on the same day as five other titles. They like to manage the release window accordingly.

"We have requested a specific date and hopefully we'll get that and it's not too long after the 360 SKU.

"The agreement with Microsoft is, in order to participate in their hugely successful Summer of Arcade promotion, there is a window of exclusivity. That window of exclusivity is a set four weeks."

Other games in Microsoft's Summer of Arcade promotion include Limbo, due out on 21st July and Castlevania Harmony of Despair, which will be released on 4th August.

Crystal Dynamics hopes to have a release date for the PC and PS3 versions of Guardian of Light in "seven to 10 days".

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is Crystal Dynamics' first download-only game. The San Francisco developer took the reigns of the Tomb Raider franchise from Core Design after press mauled Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness.

There's more on Lara Croft's new adventure over at our hands-on preview.
Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/lara-croft-a-4-week-360-exclusive

EDIT: New vids courtesy of IGN. Definitely more excited for it now seeing these footage:

Sink It

Get That Ball

Nice Try[/QUOTE]

EDIT:

New footage; put them in this thread where they're more relevant to the OP

First 5 minutes of the single-player gameplay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tnz_sbg0HM

Direct feed comic book-inspired opening cinematic; quite refreshing and intentionally cheesy (methinks):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPm0qrKqrAY

And the ending; spoilers there obviously:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHuHyOHbVQ4&feature=channel

Bradach

i love the old school style of this game, can't wait for it. Pity it comes out on PSN around the same time as move, i plan on being very busy then :D

Mr_Zombie

There's a little too much shooting there :/. But I will certainly buy it.
Did they change Lara's VA? I've heard that it's still Keeley Hawes, but she sounds differently now.

Wait what? PC version will be delayed for at least 4 weeks? The hell?

Parham

Banned
I can see the game becoming repetitive really quickly if there aren't enough puzzles or platforming sections between each firefight.

With that in mind, I look forward to giving the demo a try next month.

Mr_Zombie said:
There's a little too much shooting there :/. But I will certainly buy it.
Did they change Lara's VA? I've heard that it's still Keeley Hawes, but she sounds differently now.

Wait what? PC version will be delayed for at least 4 weeks? The hell?
Yeap still Keeley Hawes, and yes she does sound a little different.

PC and PS3 release is four weeks behind 360's, yeah. Live Summer of Arcade program does that.

FrankT

Game is bought. I almost got DS, but I'd rather have this instead. Wish it was like number 2 on the Summer of Arcade list.

Lackmus

Banned
Larson Conway said:
Downloadable Tomb Raider game Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light will be exclusively available on the Xbox 360 for at least four weeks.

Alright, fuck you SE. You wont getting my money.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
"The agreement with Microsoft is, in order to participate in their hugely successful Summer of Arcade promotion, there is a window of exclusivity. That window of exclusivity is a set four weeks."

I wonder if it's also a stipulation that you have to say "hugely successful" whenever mentioning the promotion? :D

TripOpt55

This and Limbo are the downloadable games I'm looking forward to the most. I remember at first thinking this looked kind of meh, but it's grown on me for some reason. Unfortunately, I think I will be holding out for the PSN version. That month is going to kill me. I guess I can at least try the demo out.

eshwaaz

I'm definitely interested in this, but I hope that single player isn't an afterthought. They're pushing the co-op aspect really hard.

Keir_Eidos

Eidos Loves You
eshwaaz said:
I'm definitely interested in this, but I hope that single player isn't an afterthought. They're pushing the co-op aspect really hard.

The designers have done a good job with single player. They considered going the route of an AI companion, but as the puzzles are complex they decided it against it. Instead Lara can use Totec's spears (which she can throw into walls to make bridges) and the puzzles have been altered so they work in single player mode too. In actual fact I'd say it's worth playing in both single and co-op modes as they're slightly different - but personally I'd say the co-op is more fun.

(In other news, I've passed on the general consensus regarding the XBLA exclusivity to the relevant people).

Thinking of going 3D on my PC rig in the near future so I'm going to hold off for the Steam version. I'm sure it has awesome 360 controller support.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Beer Monkey said:
Thinking of going 3D on my PC rig in the near future so I'm going to hold off for the Steam version. I'm sure it has awesome 360 controller support.
Yeah, CD really deserves a pat on the back for 360 pad support on PC because all of their 3 previous Tomb Raider games have had flawless support for it.

Stallion Free said:
Yeah, CD really deserves a pat on the back for 360 pad support on PC because all of their 3 previous Tomb Raider games have had flawless support for it.

Uh.

Didn't say it was a pat on the back. Said I expected it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Beer Monkey said:
Uh.

Didn't say it was a pat on the back. Said I expected it.
Well yeah, I was saying that they have had flawless support before so it goes without saying that this will have it too.

Larson Conway said:
Odd, odd news. Online co-op for XBLA won't be available until Sept 28th, the release date on PSN and Steam. Weeeird, and disappointing.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/06/lara-croft-and-the-guardian-of-light-will-not-have-online-co-op/

EDIT: Oops, sorry for the bump, didn't see the other thread

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=403299
This is filled with such fail because if I cannot play online coop at launch then why would I buy it?
Exactly I won't.

Top Bottom