• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eiji Aonuma talks Skyward Sword in Nintendo Power interview

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Apologies if posted, but I didn't see anything, and google search only goes so far...

Anyway, Eiji Aonuma did an interview with NP, and here's a rundown of what was discussed:

•area from the E3 demo will be divided in the final game
•bosses from the demo will not appear in their locations from the demo
•the demo area was the realm below the clouds
•the demo area was a field, not part of a dungeon
•once again, field and dungeon layouts are being reworked
•elements of dungeons and fields are being combined
•some dungeons may feature areas where you have to run from enemies, or you don't have a weapon
•there may be more items than the 8 seen in at E3
•Gorons and Zoras are mentioned in passing, but not confirmed for the game
•MotionPlus may lead to new puzzle types
•the sword has a treasure-seeking ability
•no comments on Ganon appearing
•no interest in having Link speak due to ruining the image of the character thus far
•Link does have a method of travel between the two worlds, but that's not being discusses yet

Since the game is partially set in the sky, any chance Epona is a Pegasus?

Aonuma - [Laughs] I hadn't thought of that! You surprised me with that one! Of course, you know, Link does have to travel between Skyloft and the land below, and back and forth, so he's obviously going to have to do that via some sort of conveyance. That being said, I'd like to reveal that at a later time, so I don't want to give away too much other than to say that he is going to be traveling between the two. However, I can guarentee he's not going to be flying around like [Pit from] Kid Icarus!

http://www.zeldainformer.com/2010/08/more-skyward-sword-nintendo-power-details.html

I read the entire interview and the part about the field being more like a dungeon is a little confusing because Aonuma says the scorpion boss that was there wasn't supposed to be. It was just relocated for the demo build. Dunno if that means there will be a boss, just a different one or what.

Poyunch

Seems more like ALttP where the overworld is more like a bunch of obstacles in the way. Can't say I'm excited but it's better than Twilight Princess. Majora's Mask's overworld's personally my standard. Not too packed but not too barren.

EzLink

Banned
Oblivion said:
•there may be more items than the 8 seen in at E3
megaton

And Aonuma didn't even consider making Epona a pegasus? Bastard :(

oh god i am so hyped for this game

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
•the demo area was a field, not part of a dungeon
•once again, field and dungeon layouts are being reworked
•elements of dungeons and fields are being combined

Oh hell yeah.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm guessing the treasure finding properties of the sword might work a bit like a mine detector. We can point it in any direction, so I guess it will rumble or glow or something when pointing towards the hidden treasures.

I like the sound of that treasure seeking sword ability. Oh please let me be able to point my sword around and have it glow stronger when I'm getting warmer!

Sirius

Damn it Aonuma, you should have left us in suspense about Epona.. not flat out deny the Pegasus theory.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sirius said:
Damn it Aonuma, you should have left us in suspense about Epona.. not flat out deny the Pegasus theory.

Actually denying these dumb rumors is probably for the best. Then people won't have unrealistic expectations like with TP.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
EatChildren said:
I'm guessing the treasure finding properties of the sword might work a bit like a mine detector. We can point it in any direction, so I guess it will rumble or glow or something when pointing towards the hidden treasures.

Sounds like it's gonna function like the Stone of Agony. Which is kinda lame. I mean, don't get me wrong, it was nice in OoT, but I hope there's a little more to it in SS.

Busaiku

EatChildren said:
There's always the speaker.

_Alkaline_ said:
In all honesty I haven't heard a single bad thing about this game yet. It all sounds marvelous to me.
About the only thing "bad" I could say about it would be the animations. They haven't seemed to improve much, if at all, over what we have been given before. Outside of that, I can't wait to get a hold of this. Definitely one of my most anticipated games.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Cygnus X-1 said:
No mention of Ganon? If there is a new villain, it already would be a sep in the right direction.

It will feature a new villain who poisons castles and burns villages and is evil and wears baby seal skin for shoes.

Then just before the credits roll in it will be revealed that he actually was a puppet for Ganondorf... from the future!

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
abstract alien said:
About the only thing "bad" I could say about it would be the animations. They haven't seemed to improve much, if at all, over what we have been given before. Outside of that, I can't wait to get a hold of this. Definitely one of my most anticipated games.

Yeah I hope they work on Link's basic movements. It was painful seeing that robotic running animation from TP in the E3 demo.

Haunted

I love how Aonuma can conduct an interview about the game and tell us nothing new, nothing of substance.

That sly old fox.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Haunted said:
I love how Aonuma can conduct an interview about the game and tell us nothing new, nothing of substance.

That sly old fox.

This is standard procedure for the video game industry. Need I point you to Square Enix?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Metroid Killer said:
Indeed. If they really go all out with this, it can shake up the typical and tired Zelda gamplay while still being very Zelda-like.

The Legend of Zelda: Black and White?

Jackano

Himuro said:
Not considering making Epona a Pegasus is ridiculous. Come onnnnn Aonuma! :D
That's a proof that Aonuma should pass more time working on his game, instead of giving shitty interviews for magazines.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Oblivion said:
•some dungeons may feature areas where you have to run from enemies, or you don't have a weapon[/url]

Why is it that with the very Zelda game that could make swordfighting awesome Aonuma must introduce parts where you can't use your sword? Fuck you.

upandaway

Man I don't like the treasure seeking stuff (assuming they're a hot/cold thing). It's like "oh man there's something around here no no not here, there, yeah there, no, a little to the right yeah, now a bit more, no no not that direction the other one, you're closeeeee alright you're good!!! 10 rupees" who wants that

It makes you focus on the location of the treasure for discovery, rather than the method of discovering it (how it was for example in the original and LttP). Even if there's a cool way to reveal the treasure, now that you now it's there it just becomes a puzzle.

Then again I know this is a pretty big assumption I'm making. It could very well be something else.

sinxtanx

Kilrogg said:
Why is it that with the very Zelda game that could make swordfighting awesome Aonuma must introduce parts where you can't use your sword? Fuck you.
Well, with the sword being so awesome to use, not being able to could probably get pretty tense.

(sword goes to visit the ladies room)
"Oh fuck, no sword! Aah shit moblins RUN"
cue Benny Hill Theme Music

Easy_D

never left the stone age
sinxtanx said:
Well, with the sword being so awesome to use, not being able to could probably get pretty tense.

(sword goes to visit the ladies room)
"Oh fuck, no sword! Aah shit moblins RUN"
cue Benny Hill Theme Music
So that's what the chase scenes will be like, intense!

Mantrid

Banned
I have fear that this sounds far too similar to Zelda's of old: I.E. Formulaic.

I hope that Nintendo do what they have promised and change this game a lot from previous incarnations. From the build and trailer shown so far, the game play mechanics look much the same as the old games.

I am not sure changing the environments or the scale of the environments will be enough of a shift to keep anyone tiring of the base structure of Zelda so I am seriously hoping that this demo is an illusion to keep us away from finding the truth about the scale of the changes intended.

Plus, the fucking art style in this game is hideous IMO, much prefered the art style in Wind Waker and was willing to live with TPP in the hope it would bring back a bit of the OOT magic, it didn't.

Change the game, it needs to evolve.

Bizzyb

Banned
Honestly, I walked away from E3 less impressed with the game. Wind Waker impressed me because of it's cell shaded style, Twilight Princess impressed me because of it's realism and new possibilities.

This game however, eh...I dunno, I just have so many mixed feelings. It doesn't feel like it's going to be deep at all.

Twilight Princess had a (relatively) good story for a Zelda game, had all kinds of varied locations and things to do within those location, epic (though easy) bosses, and the Ability to Swim underwater, duel on horseback, and shape-shift. Sure it had flaws here and there but I just don't get the sense that Skyward Sword is going to be as great as TP. Of course I hope I'm wrong.

Bizzyb said:
Honestly, I walked away from E3 less impressed with the game. Wind Waker impressed me because of it's cell shaded style, Twilight Princess impressed me because of it's realism and new possibilities.

This game however, eh...I dunno, I just have so many mixed feelings. It doesn't feel like it's going to be deep at all.

Well, E3 demos are known for being incredibly deep, so I reckon we're screwed. Not going to buy the game anymore.

Bizzyb

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
Well, E3 demos are known for being incredibly deep, so I reckon we're screwed. Not going to buy the game anymore.

The E3 demo of Twilight Princess; The Goron Mine dungeon layout, Village area, and Fishing was already showing that the game was going to be a bit deeper than wind waker and then there were the trailers which showed that as well (.i.e horse combat, swimming, Boar hi-jacking, cats, etc)

I wasn't sensing any of that from the E3 demo or trailer. Everything looked done before and, quite frankly, a bit tired.

On the other hand, with the previous console Zeldas the initial "hook" of the game was immediately apparent. SEAMLESS DUNGEONS and WM+ SWORDFIGHTING doesn't quite have the same draw.

Bizzyb said:
The E3 demo of Twilight Princess; The Goron Mine dungeon layout, Village area, and Fishing was already showing that the game was going to be a bit deeper than wind waker and then there were the trailers which showed that as well (.i.e horse combat, swimming, Boar hi-jacking, cats, etc)

I wasn't sensing any of that from the E3 demo or trailer. Everything looked done before and, quite frankly, a bit tired.

Just because Nintendo chose to not to show anything like that, doesn't mean it's not there.

In fact they said themselves that they wanted the main focus of the E3 demo to be on the controls and nothing else.

Mate, it's a Zelda game and it's been in development for years. There's no way it won't have a ton of surprises.

GCX

Bizzyb said:

We don't really know anything about the game since we've only seen a very brief demo and a trailer which was 90% based on that demo.

For example we know there's a a whole other world above the clouds but haven't seen any footage of it. It's impossible to judge the game yet.

jett

D-Member
Link shouldn't speak but the rest of the cast really should. Playing Twilight Princess at the moment and it's kind of ridiculous to see them mouthing off but no sound coming out during the "cut-scenes".

Hopefully they've locked down the controls, I wouldn't be able to stand another Zelda with unresponsive controls.

Bizzyb

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
Just because Nintendo chose to not to show anything like that, doesn't mean it's not there.

In fact they said themselves that they wanted the main focus of the E3 demo to be on the controls and nothing else.

Mate, it's a Zelda game and it's been in development for years. There's no way it won't have a ton of surprises.

Which is exactly why I said I walked away from E3 less impressed. I have faith sure, but as of now, I can't be impressed by something that could be in the game. If Nintendo's goal was to only impress people with the motion controls then they left out millions of other fans who didn't attend E3. Also The visuals are nice, esp the art style, but they look a bit too simple, esp for a 2011 game, and esp compared to the visuals in TP.

GCX

civilstrife said:
Orchestrated music? That's all I want to know.
They don't really have any excuses not to do it.

With previous Zeldas they have always said "midi gives you DYNAMIC MUSIC maaan" but then Mario Galaxy came and had all those dynamic orchestrated magic tricks.

Top Bottom