• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eiji Aonuma talks Skyward Sword in Nintendo Power interview

Londa

Banned
LegendofJoe said:
And yet the actions are not all the same. SS is going to be the first 3D Zelda where you can run and jump. And we have yet to see all the items, which are guaranteed to introduce new gameplay.

:(

i'm with you about SS being hideous, mantrid. it's more pandering to the general populace from the zelda team. half the people prefer the wind waker look, and half the people prefer the twilight princess look, so let's give them their deformed illicit fuckchild! it's so painfully garish and bright, lacking the deep colors of TWW. there's no subtlety or contrast, and it reminds me of some thq platformer.

but this was just one area and it's early, so i'm not writing off the visuals just yet.

the control mechanics are a huge step-up tho. the sword fighting in previous 3D zeldae were pretty much mindless hack and slash, reaching an apex in twilight princess, a game that made me actually drool... and i don't drool! this time, you actually have to think about the direction of your swings, or they will be blocked. the possibilities from the demo alone were impressive, so i'm looking forward to what the rest of the game offers.

aunoma did say that the dungeon and field flow was going to be changed, and that's really what's most important, cuz everything else about zelda is gold. the whole enter dungeon, find weapon, use weapon, kill boss, enter field, throw away weapon cuz you'll never use it again... it's gotta go, cuz it was ridiculous in TP. the field needs more focus and puzzles, and the dungeons need more freedom (like a field), and their relationship with each other must be seamless, and that feeling of formulaic will be replaced with illusion.

Mantrid

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
And then later both he and the game's producer went back on that comment (or it's possible that by "in its present form" Shigeru meant something different).

Why you were still expecting something completely revolutionary, after the game's producer said in 2007 that it wouldn't be drastically different, is strange.

Agreed, they both went back on what they promised, this is part of the thing that irk's me as I was genuinely looking forward to something new.

2009:

"In mid November, Eiji Aonuma said Nintendo hopes to show something "surprising" about Link's next Wii-bound adventure at E3 2010."

"We're making efforts regarding the TOTAL flow of the Zelda game"

Now, I certainly have not seen anything that surprised me or anything that affects the total flow of the game. Have you? Are you not bored of it also?

As I stated in my first post, I am just worried the series is becoming too formulaic, I have the right to be worried and in all honesty, how can you not (or any other Zelda fan) feel that way? It has stayed roughly the same since OOT, it has to change, for me at least and I suspect that a lot more people feel the same way.

Vinci

Danish
Mantrid said:
Agreed, they both went back on what they promised, this is part of the thing that irk's me as I was genuinely looking forward to something new.

2009:

"In mid November, Eiji Aonuma said Nintendo hopes to show something "surprising" about Link's next Wii-bound adventure at E3 2010."

"We're making efforts regarding the TOTAL flow of the Zelda game"

Now, I certainly have not seen anything that surprised me or anything that affects the total flow of the game. Have you? Are you not bored of it also?

If they have focused heavily on the content-to-scale ratio problem that most 3D games have, not simply Zelda titles, then that will be a reworking of 'the TOTAL flow of the game.' Without question. And considering Aonuma and Miyamoto both mentioned this in the Iwata Asks made for last E3, I assume we're going to see a positive change in this regard.

Mantrid said:

Which makes sense...as we haven't seen the entire game...or even a small portion of it. All we've seen is a specially constructed area, for the sole purpose of demoing controls and a trailer that did the same thing. We know next to nothing about the game

Mantrid

Banned
Zoramon089 said:
Which makes sense...as we haven't seen the entire game...or even a small portion of it. All we've seen is a specially constructed area, for the sole purpose of demoing controls and a trailer that did the same thing. We know next to nothing about the game

I did make that point on numerous occasions.

Mantrid

Banned
Vinci said:
If they have focused heavily on the content-to-scale ratio problem that most 3D games have, not simply Zelda titles, then that will be a reworking of 'the TOTAL flow of the game.' Without question. And considering Aonuma and Miyamoto both mentioned this in the Iwata Asks made for last E3, I assume we're going to see a positive change in this regard.

You know, I think this will make a difference for the better, but I want more than ICO/SoTC mixed with Zelda.

Vinci

Danish
Mantrid said:
You know, I think this will make a difference for the better, but I want more than ICO/SoTC mixed with Zelda.

Yeah, you're going the wrong direction with the content-to-scale ratio.

Vinci

Danish
Mantrid said:
Minish Cap LOL?

Yeah, we don't know yet. We'll see. All I'm saying is, if they've corrected the content-to-scale ratio and are aiming for a 'fun' experience (as they both said in the Iwata Asks), then I don't know if it's going to resemble Minish Cap or what - but it's a positive thing nevertheless.

Boney

Banned
Mantrid said:
I did make that point on numerous occasions.

Do you even read what you say?

Vinci said:
Yeah, we don't know yet. We'll see. All I'm saying is, if they've corrected the content-to-scale ratio and are aiming for a 'fun' experience (as they both said in the Iwata Asks), then I don't know if it's going to resemble Minish Cap or what - but it's a positive thing nevertheless.
Not to mention that MC's director is taking reigns again.

Boney

Banned
Mantrid said:
Please make your point with a point.
You keep insisting they haven't showed you how they have changed the structure, and you admittely know that the first reveal was for showcasing the controls only.
So what are you whining about?

Mantrid

Banned
Boney said:
You keep insisting they haven't showed you how they have changed the structure, and you admittely know that the first reveal was for showcasing the controls only.
So what are you whining about?

I didn't admit that the first reveal was for showcasing the controls at all. Don't put words in my mouth.

Do you actually read my posts? Do you actually read yours?

Can I, among others, let this thread get back on track now?

Boney

Banned
Mantrid said:
I didn't admit that the first reveal was for showcasing the controls at all. Don't put words in my mouth.

Do you actually read my posts? Do you actually read yours?
Well I was just skimming over the thread at first, and thought you knew about the trailer being just a showcase of controls with this. My mistake.
This trailer isn't indicative of the final design of the game. It's just an enclosed area for messing around with the controllers.
That's it, nothing more.
You can argue they didn't give you your "revolution" when we actually know more about the game.. but as it stands, it's impossible to say anything from a design standpoint except from the excerpts from Aonuma, which point out to a shake up in the formula.

Mantrid

Banned
Boney said:
Well I was just skimming over the thread at first, and thought you knew about the trailer being just a showcase of controls with this. My mistake.
This trailer isn't indicative of the final design of the game. It's just an enclosed area for messing around with the controllers.
That's it, nothing more.
You can argue they didn't give you your "revolution" when we actually know more about the game.. but as it stands, it's impossible to say anything from a design standpoint except from the excerpts from Aonuma, which point out to a shake up in the formula.

Yeah, I know, I love me some Zelda, like most in here, just a little concerned we are going to get served the same meal. Let's just see and hope!

Boney

Banned
Mantrid said:
Yeah, I know, I love me some Zelda, like most in here, just a little concerned we are going to get served the same meal. Let's just see and hope!
One thing I feel I need to point out is the new revamped swordplay. I'm not talking about using M+ because it could be replicated with a second analog stick.
Enemies react to different angles of your sword attaks, either by blocking or simply being invincible to certain attacks.
Deku Babas required specific motions, Bokoblins and Stalfos blocked your attacks and and you had to adjust to the Scorpion Boss's claws angle.

Should be an appetizer on things to come.

Mantrid

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
I'd like some changes, but I think people are so frustrated with standard Zelda that they're asking for more change than I would personally want.

Yeah, I know what you mean; it's one of the things that is both right and wrong with Nintendo, and it's hard for them. They are pretty much fucked if they do (unless it's a masterpiece; which I do feel they are still capable of creating) because those who wanted the same kind of feel/experience will rage about it; and fucked if they don't change it because it will be seen as an incremental/similar game to the last xxx games in any given series.

This would be eased by Nintendo just creating a new franchise or two that are masterpieces, I still feel that Link to The Past, Super Mario World and OOT were Nintendo's crowning moments in terms of game design. I don't feel that they have created anything that good since and would love to see them do so.

.la1n

I still want to see Ganon represented in one way or another because he is such a staple and we do have an continuing universe of sorts (right guys, yeeeah) but I wouldn't be opposed to him being a puppet for a greater evil.

.la1n said:
I still want to see Ganon represented in one way or another because he is such a staple and we do have an continuing universe of sorts (right guys, yeeeah) but I wouldn't be opposed to him being a puppet for a greater evil.

wtf Ganon can't be anyone's puppet

he's fucking GANON

he just can't

Boney

Banned
Vinci said:
What if Ganon were to be his own puppet? Eh??
PuppetGanon_Small.png

:O

jett

D-Member
Watching some vids from E3, I have two questions about the demo that was on the showfloor, I hope someone has the answers. :p Anyone know what was the framerate of the demo? I hope for 60fps. And more importantly is there camera control with the d-pad, SMG-style? I recently finished Twilight Princess on the Wii and oh man was I missing that so much. You cannot have a third-person adventure game without that shit. At least those awful pointer controls are gone in SS.

Roto13

The E3 demo was pretty cool. I think my arms might get tired, though. :p Also, why is even so stupid about the Deku Babas? Everyone I watched play it just kind of flailed at them, completely missing the point. I was smarter than that. :p
Cygnus X-1 said:
No mention of Ganon? If there is a new villain, it already would be a sep in the right direction.
It kind of has to be since Ocarina of Time is the story of Ganon's origin and skyward Sword is a prequel.

AniHawk

jett said:
At least those awful pointer controls are gone in SS.

1. The pointer controls in TP were awesome
2. The pointer controls are still there in SS for the slingshot and bow/arrow combo, except for the bow and arrow, you have to pull back on the nunchuk before you can fire.

Here was the control scheme at E3. It's supposedly a work in progress, but I don't remember camera controls.
35ck6yw.jpg

Roto13

AniHawk said:
2. The pointer controls are still there in SS for the slingshot and bow/arrow combo, except for the bow and arrow, you have to pull back on the nunchuk before you can fire.
God, seriously. Aiming stuff with the pointer = best thing to happen to Zelda in a long time. It's the main reason I want to see a New Play Control Wind Waker.

Brera

Banned
I want it to be more like LttP and Majoras Mask!

OoT wasnt as good as everyone makes out! So far, I'm not impressed or convinced they have left that blueprint behind!

eXistor

The Dutch Slayer said:
Going to play the E3 demo at gamescom in only a few days SO EXITED !!!!! :D :D :D :D
I wanna play it as well, but no way am I gonna wait in line for more than an hour. I'm only gonna be able to go the one day (sunday) and I don't want to spend it standing in line.

jett

D-Member
AniHawk said:

1. O rly. I found them annoying to use in the middle of battle, having to re-position myself everytime I wanted to use the bow. Game would always lose track of where the wiimote is. Outside of battle I guess they were serviceable. Motion controls in general were pretty awful in TP Wii, I think I would have had a much better time with the gamecube version.

2. In the E3 demo Miyamoto gave he said you no longer have to point at the screen with the wiimote. The M+ thingy takes care of the aiming. He said this while using the slingshot.

Roto13

jett said:
1. O rly. I found them annoying to use in the middle of battle, having to re-position myself everytime I wanted to use the bow. Game would always lose track of where the wiimote is. Outside of battle I guess they were serviceable. Motion controls in general were pretty awful in TP Wii, I think I would have had a much better time with the gamecube version.

2. In the E3 demo Miyamoto gave he said you no longer have to point at the screen with the wiimote. The M+ thingy takes care of the aiming. He said this while using the slingshot.
If you weren't using targeting in battle you were doing it wrong anyway.

AniHawk

jett said:
1. O rly. I found them annoying to use in the middle of battle, having to re-position myself everytime I wanted to use the bow. Game would always lose track of where the wiimote is.

Point the remote at the sensor bar and make sure the settings are set for the remote to be above or below the TV (in the system settings). Also, if you're sitting too close (within 2 feet) or at an angle, it tends to get somewhat wonky. I've played at an angle before to mild success, but usually I do it about 10 feet away from the TV.

Well the one I played was done with pointer controls. :p

TimmiT

eXistor said:
I wanna play it as well, but no way am I gonna wait in line for more than an hour. I'm only gonna be able to go the one day (sunday) and I don't want to spend it standing in line.
Well, seeing how you're going on Sunday, you will probably have to wait an hour in line for most games.

jett

D-Member
I was using targetting, but sometimes the enemies are far way. I don't know, it was just a messy experience for me! Or maybe it's the shield attack working less than 30% of the time that is clouding the whole motion experience in TP for me. :p

AniHawk said:
Point the remote at the sensor bar and make sure the settings are set for the remote to be above or below the TV (in the system settings). Also, if you're sitting too close (within 2 feet) or at an angle, it tends to get somewhat wonky. I've played at an angle before to mild success, but usually I do it about 10 feet away from the TV.

Well the one I played was done with pointer controls. :p

I'm about 4 feet away from my TV, so I dunno. I don't have a problem with grabbing starbits in mario galaxy though. The problem wasn't really aiming, more about adjusting between aiming and waggling like a maniac hoping for your crap to register. :p Than and the fact that for me that kind of experience didn't justify losing control of the camera.

Boney

Banned
jett said:
Why would you use the pointer while battling? :S

Oh and I thought in SS it worked like in Archery in WSR. Wonder why they didn't use that..

Saw your new post.. well at least it has a smart camara to follow you around that makes it more managable, but yeah camara control should be a better thing to have.
And well waggling like a maniac is probably the reason why they didn't work..:lol

jett

D-Member
Anihawk since you played at E3, could you tell if it was running at 60fps? Thanks for the control scheme btw. I hope they put the camera on the dpad since it seems unused at the moment.

Boney said:

Oh and I thought in SS it worked like in Archery in WSR. Wonder why they didn't use that..

Saw your new post.. well at least it has a smart camara to follow you around that makes it more managable, but yeah camara control should be a better thing to have.
And well waggling like a maniac is probably the reason why they didn't work..:lol

Thought the camera was mediocre at best. I have not used a z-button in a Zelda game so much before. :p

And hey, I try finesse in TP, it doesn't work. I try waggling, it doesn't work either. :p I barely bothered using regular sword attacks because it was so unresponsive, I pretty much abused the circle slash the entire game...and you can believe it was annoying the times that didn't work either. It seems Nintendo has learned lots from the obvious rushjob that was the TP port though, SS looks like it controls right.

AniHawk

jett said:
I was using targetting, but sometimes the enemies are far way. I don't know, it was just a messy experience for me! Or maybe it's the shield attack working less than 30% of the time that is clouding the whole motion experience in TP for me. :p

The shield being so close to the sword spin was my most hated thing about the controls. I love you can be more relaxed and not have to have your hands so close to each other, but I get so relaxed that a shield bash when held sideways in my hand turns into a sword spin. Unfortunately, they're doing the same sort of thing with SS, however you also have to swing the remote with the nunchuk to get it to register as a mega sword slash so that should cut down on confusion. Can't remember what was the sword spin.

I'm about 4 feet away from my TV, so I dunno. I don't have a problem with grabbing starbits in mario galaxy though. The problem wasn't really aiming, more about adjusting between aiming and waggling like a maniac hoping for your crap to register. :p Than and the fact that for me that kind of experience didn't justify losing control of the camera.

If you didn't waggle in SMG, then you're probably going to have a tough time here. It's really just a flick of the wrist and nothing more. I'm guessing that because you played SMG that you're not pointing at the TV with your arm outstretched, and leaving it at your side or in a comfortable position instead. It's weird watching newbies play these games expecting to do wide sweeping motions or overexaggerated stuff sometimes. I know a girl that only played TP by doing wide jumping slashes for EVERY attack, and I've seen a lot of people play racing games like it was their first time driving instead of controlling the virtual vehicles like they'd steer their car.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The only thing I'm concerned about with the SS control scheme is using the nunchuck for raising shield. I don't like using that thing for waggle.

AniHawk

Boney said:

It's a compromise between the TP style and WSR's. WSR's is nice for the minigame, but for a full Zelda title, it'd be a pain in the ass. And actually, with the slingshot available and doing some of the same things, you kinda have to wonder why it's just not point and shoot at all. You can make sense of other choices like the bomb, sword, and whip and how they might work in gameplay, but the arrow doesn't make sense outside of the motion.

AniHawk

jett said:
Anihawk since you played at E3, could you tell if it was running at 60fps? Thanks for the control scheme btw. I hope they put the camera on the dpad since it seems unused at the moment.

I'm the wrong person to ask about FPS because I can't tell the difference between 30 and 60, but it wasn't below 30 at least.

Some off-screen camera footage, but I don't know if you can tell from that.
Some more:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4-Z3qfCQqc&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BUXzvJWv2k&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL-adSSSmco&feature=channel

there may be more items than the 8 seen in at E3
And right there is what has grow to become one of the fundamental problems with the Zelda series.

Aonuma, just take the best 3-4 items and make them essential in all the dungeons in clever and imaginative ways.

Boney

Banned
Refreshment.01 said:
And right there is what has grow to become one of the fundamental problems with the Zelda series.

Aonuma, just take the best 3-4 items and make them essential in all the dungeons in clever and imaginative ways.
That's what they did in the DS zelda's and well... I'm not that big of a fan.

LLTP dungeons did this pretty good, and had tons of items.

jett said:
1. O rly. I found them annoying to use in the middle of battle, having to re-position myself everytime I wanted to use the bow.

If you hold the lock-on button while you're already aiming with the bow you can walk around while still using the pointer(but as a side effect the camera loses the ability to turn sideways as long as you're holding lockon).

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Mantrid said:
I have fear that this sounds far too similar to Zelda's of old: I.E. Formulaic.

I hope that Nintendo do what they have promised and change this game a lot from previous incarnations. From the build and trailer shown so far, the game play mechanics look much the same as the old games.

I am not sure changing the environments or the scale of the environments will be enough of a shift to keep anyone tiring of the base structure of Zelda so I am seriously hoping that this demo is an illusion to keep us away from finding the truth about the scale of the changes intended.

Plus, the fucking art style in this game is hideous IMO, much prefered the art style in Wind Waker and was willing to live with TPP in the hope it would bring back a bit of the OOT magic, it didn't.

Change the game, it needs to evolve.

It plays completely differently due to Wii Motion Plus, so indeed it's very different. I'm not sure you know what company you're talking about here, but getting a sense of "ordinary" evolution is not exactly something Nintendo's top design cuddles with. That's why they're still so relevant afterall, ergo the thread.

Boney said:
That's what they did in the DS zelda's and well... I'm not that big of a fan.

LLTP dungeons did this pretty good, and had tons of items.
Ok, but why you are opposed to reducing the item count?

Take for example the slingshot... it just doesnt make any sense now. In Ocarina it was a good fit for child link projectile attacks, but in TP and Skyward sword it becomes redundant with the bow.

Its kind of funny you mention Spirit Tracks since i think it had some of the most interesting puzzles the series has seen in the latest 3/4 entries. As a side note and going by memory, i think Phantom had 1 or 2 items more than Spirit Tracks.

Top Bottom