• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did anyone catch the comedy central roast of David Hasselhoff over the weekend ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominoKid

Jason's Ultimatum said:
I was actually disgusted that Hulk's son was there, just laughing it up and enjoying himself while his friend is fucked for life due to the car accident.

what do you expect the kid to do? put his life on hold forever? gotta move on. i'm sure he still feels bad about it

Cuu

I think I would've enjoyed the roast a lot more if it wasn't interrupted by such terrible commercials. It would've kept the laughs going. I had forgotten what it was like to watch TV.

Giraldo killed with his liver joke, oh my. The Magic Johnson reference was cringeworthy too.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Willy105 said:
Amazing. It's not dirty, and it's incredibly hilarious. Today's roasts are so disgusting compared to this.
Agreed. I can't be bothered with these Comedy Central wannabe roasts.

Wit and class among friends and peers >>>>>>>>> bunch of random people trying to top each other in being overly offensive and dirty

I love the Roasts. If they could do one without a drop in quality, I'd love 2 a year.
My only gripe is they need new comedians there who don't always make dick jokes etc. etc.

Which one was Norm at? Oh my God, he killed me. But this one and the
Larry the Cable guy redeemed the godawful Joan Rivers and Saget Roasts, so I was glad they brought the funny.

I hope Marc Maron pops up at one of these.

Anyone ever see the Chevy Chase roast? :lol

RSLAEV said:
Sorry man, that's just weaksauce. I mean it was O.K. for old folks back in the day, but no one's going to tune in to watch that now.

I don't care if people are going to 'tune in to watch that' because its superiority is self-evident; it is witty and classy, whereas the jokes on these roasts tend to be "(person being roasted) is so (perjorative), (member of the dais) (verb)ed (other member of the dais)" or something to that extent. The thing that made roasts of old work was that the people doing the roasting tended to have some sort of connection to the person being roasted or was, at the very least, a person of equal standing in the world of fame. The Comedy Central roasts just tend to be a stock set of comedians, a couple of random, unrelated celebrities, maybe one person who is actually a friend of the person being roasted, and some videos or something; there is no wit and no class, just crassness and mean-spirited humor.

Cummings did well enough that I do believe I will actually watch her special that I think is coming on late this Sat night. :lol She was a total unknown to me, so that might have been a factor.

Really, really annoyed by comedy central cutting/editing it all up though...I mean come on~ Air it an hour later if you have to and include ye olde censor beeps, but let the content remain!

StoOgE said:
Any Dick is not funny and has no business being anywhere near a TV.
That's true, but it could be the most brutal roast ever. Lots of people hate this Andy Dick and there are so many weird stories about him. I hope that one I heard about John Lovitz knocking him out is true.

That's a really shit thing to do to a comedian even if he is bombing. Jamie Foxx is an asshole.

Gilbert Gottfried at the Hefner roast was the best roast moment ever.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
AnimatorZombie said:
I just wish they'd roast someone who's at least a B-level/current star.
I have the same issue. It's 2010. I don't care enough about Pam Anderson or Flavor Flav to watch this shit.

i always make it about ten minutes into these things and then change the channel because they make me feel like someone just took a shit on my face.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Gottfried and Giraldo killed, as usual. I'll always tune in for them, but when the roast is for a non-comedian, I usually don't care.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
I don't care if people are going to 'tune in to watch that' because its superiority is self-evident; it is witty and classy, whereas the jokes on these roasts tend to be "(person being roasted) is so (perjorative), (member of the dais) (verb)ed (other member of the dais)" or something to that extent. The thing that made roasts of old work was that the people doing the roasting tended to have some sort of connection to the person being roasted or was, at the very least, a person of equal standing in the world of fame. The Comedy Central roasts just tend to be a stock set of comedians, a couple of random, unrelated celebrities, maybe one person who is actually a friend of the person being roasted, and some videos or something; there is no wit and no class, just crassness and mean-spirited humor.
the Foxworthy roast was funny because they had Ron White, Bill Engval and Larry the Cable guy roasting him, all of which are friends with him.

I can't stand these roasts anymore. I've tried to watch them, but the humor is just too lackluster and every other word doesn't need to be a swear. I really can't stand the comedians that are there every single year making the same type of jokes every single year. But oh well, I must not be the right person for these roasts, but at least I try to watch them to see if anything works for me.

The parts that I felt were good over the years has been Norm and Gottfried.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Was terrible as have been all the Comedy Central Roasts except for the William Shatner one, which was passable.

Problem is CC roasts have the roasters roast the other roasters more than the guy being roasts.

The old Friars Club Roasts they aired were amazing.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Snowman Prophet of Doom said:

This

Look at this small recap of the Matt Lauer roast at the Friars Club a few years ago.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/27344925

Tom Cruise was there, and made jokes related to that terrible interview he had with Lauer and Al Roker was master of ceremonies. That's how you do a roast.

Cruise, who was famously roasted by bloggers and other pundits after a 2005 interview with Lauer in which he called the anchor “glib,” had the house in stitches. The actor began by recounting a faux conversation he had with Lauer before his now-famous couch-jumping appearance on the Oprah Winfrey Show. “Matt gave me some advice: ‘When people come on my show, I don’t want them talking about their dopey movie. Tom, don’t be glib. You are in love. Talk about (Katie). People will love you for it,’” Cruise said.

The actor also recounted a golf outing Lauer had with O.J. Simpson. “Matt said to O.J., ‘If people have your memorabilia, go back and get the (stuff) back. People will love you for it.’”

Cruise later dragged NBC chief Jeff Zucker into the joke, saying that Lauer told Zucker, “Jay Leno’s contract is up. Why don’t you let him go while everyone still thinks he’s funny. People will love you for it.”

As Cruise closed by saying “Lose my number you glib putz.” Lauer embraced the actor and asked, “Hey, can you stay? Can someone find Tom a booster seat.”

Al Roker, the master of ceremonies for the surprise roast, quickly responded that Cruise couldn’t stay because his spaceship was waiting outside.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Lampanelli's, Auschwitz and Hasslehoff's music line made me choke when I watched it.

It's brutal though how tough some of the comedians get. It just turns into a giant contest of who can go further.

:lol I can't look at norm mcdonald without laughing...

Jason's Ultimatum said:
I was actually disgusted that Hulk's son was there, just laughing it up and enjoying himself while his friend is fucked for life due to the car accident.

I remember when that kid turned 15 or 16 and got a 500rwhp toyota supra. He started posting on supraforums, and everyone was all over his nuts. I think it was the same car he fucked up his friend in.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Old bump, I know, but Comedy Central up here just re-ran this and I finally got to watch it...

Some of the stuff was pure gold, some was on the lame side, and some of it was just straight-up HARSH - I'm all in for going below the belt, but damn, I wouldn't even go that low with people I knew in real life! :lol

lawblob said:
Here are the rest of Whitney Cumming's jokes that got cut / didn't air.

Link

Here are some amazing excerpts:

Wow, I never heard of this chick before, and even the stuff that was aired was too much for those people, but damn, reading those excerpts, she was way out of line - like awkward way out of line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom