• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did anyone catch the comedy central roast of David Hasselhoff over the weekend ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like Comedy Central roasts pretty much consistently average out to about a 6/10. You have some truly funny people, but there are also celebrities who can't tell a joke worth a damn. This one was no exception. Still enjoyable to me, though.

It takes some of the sting away when they keep roasting has beens like Hasslehoff, Pam Anderson and Flavor Flav. Had it's funny moments though.

I watched Gilbert Gottfried standup the other night and it was hilarious. It was all "a man walks into a bar/church/whatever" and every one of them was great. :D

dvdjamm

David Hasselhoff
ham.jpg

Filldough

I thought it would be a little more Epic than it actually was... There were some damn good jokes and a lot of crap that was written for celebs who just can't deliver a joke to save their lives. Hulk was the worst... at one point even stops to ask if he could skip a joke cause he thought it was too mean? Its a roast big guy.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Was it just me or did Lisa and Pam get it worse than everyone else?

It always seemed like they were going after them hard. Or maybe it was just easier...

Barrett2

Here are the rest of Whitney Cumming's jokes that got cut / didn't air.

Link

Here are some amazing excerpts:

Jeff Ross.

Jeff, why aren’t you successful? You’ve had so many chances to make it. Your career moves slower than lisa lampanellis metabolism.
I wouldn’t fuck you if I was hulk Hogan and you were brooke Hogan.

Lisa lampanelli
lisa, you spend all this time talking about how you have sex with black guys. Nobody is having sex with you. Your vagina gets hit less than jeff ross’s IMDB page.

jerry springer

Everyone on your show is disgusting, ignorant, toothless, white trash. Basically everything pam needs to have an orgasm.

Pam Anderson

Pam and hoff worked together for a long time. You two are like a famous duo. You two are like Abbott and a slut with hepatitis.

Pam, Your vagina is like the finale of lost: 10 million people have seen it, everyone was disappointed, and everyone who was in it died.

Pam its ironic that you’re an animal rights activist. If you love animals so much why don’t you boycott your leathery face.

Pam, You’re like kate gosselin. You’re a old, you’re blonde, and you’re a fame whore. The only difference is the 8 babies that came out of your vagina were aborted

Hulk Hogan isn’t the only horrible father up here. hasslehoff has two daughters as well. Between the two of you you’ve brought more more dumb whores into the world than sarah palin.

Apath

It was decent. Anyone else notice how every joke made at Lisa Lampanelli had her cracking up like it was the greatest thing ever? Annoying bitch.

Forceatowulf said:
Gilbert Gottfried fucking MURDERED

That tampon joke was just.. like...damn..... damn

Too bad that genie bit took way to fucking long, and it didn't help with how annoying his voice is. Then he does the joke on Pam Anderson.

I've never been a fan of these. It's second rate "celebrities" being mean to each other. I'm not that invested in schadenfreude to turn it on.

AVclub

Almighty_Chocobo said:
Wow what a bitch. Talk about taking shit too far.
Comedy is all about taking shit too far. I commend her for her fearlessness. It would be amazing to see what the room was like once the cameras stopped rolling.

Barrage

Whiney Cummings brings that ETHER. And unlike Lisa Lampanelli, isn't repugnant to look at.

They say when it rains, it pours, and it's true- I went from not being able to remember a single female comedians name to right now finding four (Whitney, Ilisa Shersinger, Sarah Silverman, and a brunette comic whos name i can't remember) absolutely hilarious.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Jason's Ultimatum said:
Too bad that genie bit took way to fucking long, and it didn't help with how annoying his voice is. Then he does the joke on Pam Anderson.
Oh man, his annoying voice is what makes the genie bit works so well.

He just keeps going without a segue and it's always that awful voice just going nonstop. I love how you can tell he's loving it up there.

Lionel Mandrake said:
I kept waiting for Norm MacDonald to show up. Left disappointed.

Norm during Bob Saget's roast was actually my favorite. Jokes were so bad or not really mean at all. He totally punked the entire roast process.

Skiptastic said:
Norm during Bob Saget's roast was actually my favorite. Jokes were so bad or not really mean at all. He totally punked the entire roast process.

Oh, it was a thing of beauty. I remember watching it for the first time and just being thoroughly confused by the first 3 or 4 jokes and then it hit me and I completely lost it. It was complete genius. Nobody else would be willing to do that. You could hear people coughing in the audience.

oatmeal said:
Giraldo kills once again.

It was good, my favorite is still Flava Flav's, though.

"Chris Benoit is a better father than you."

And Kimmel's exchange with the Flavor of Love girls. :lol

Jeffrey Ross, Whitney Cummings, and Gilbert Gottfried were my favorite parts of Hasselhoff. I was also glad they managed to get William Daniels as KITT to appear.

There's a difference between meanness and comedy; they overlap at points, but they can also be exclusive from one another. Personally, I think that Cummings went too far in the direction of mean for her bits to be funny; comedy is only truly funny if the targets of the joke are laughing with you, and especially in the case of Pam Anderson (if reports of her crying are true), that simply wasn't true with Cummings' bit.

Anyway, I second the people holding that Norm at the Bob Saget roast is the all-time great Comedy Central roast bit; it's a shame that he gets work so seldom because Norm is one of the funniest fucking dudes ever. I hope he's on Conan's TBS show as often as possible.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm not sure some people in this thread know how roasts work outside Comedy Central.

The jokes are not supposed to be mean spirited.

Lionel Mandrake said:
Oh, it was a thing of beauty. I remember watching it for the first time and just being thoroughly confused by the first 3 or 4 jokes and then it hit me and I completely lost it. It was complete genius. Nobody else would be willing to do that. You could hear people coughing in the audience.
I just watched the video of Norm at the Saget roast... I was nearly in tears. :lol Norm MacDonald is brilliant.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Saw it half-awake on my way into Monday and thought it was taken a little too far with Pam. You can see she's definitely not feeling the jokes.

Dresden

lawblob said:
Here are the rest of Whitney Cumming's jokes that got cut / didn't air.

Link

Here are some amazing excerpts:
Those sound like the kind of jokes that the usual asshole cracks in a room and everyone just kind of falls silent and stares at him in disbelief.

Zeliard

Trojita said:
I'm not sure some people in this thread know how roasts work outside Comedy Central.

The jokes are not supposed to be mean spirited.

"I only roast the ones I love."

I thought this one was fantastic. I laughed my ass off.

The Gary Coleman joke, though, yikes. You could see Seth MacFarlane face-palming so hard after that.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
There's a difference between meanness and comedy; they overlap at points, but they can also be exclusive from one another. Personally, I think that Cummings went too far in the direction of mean for her bits to be funny; comedy is only truly funny if the targets of the joke are laughing with you, and especially in the case of Pam Anderson (if reports of her crying are true), that simply wasn't true with Cummings' bit.

Anyway, I second the people holding that Norm at the Bob Saget roast is the all-time great Comedy Central roast bit; it's a shame that he gets work so seldom because Norm is one of the funniest fucking dudes ever. I hope he's on Conan's TBS show as often as possible.
i think her jokes about Lisa Lampinelli were funny, Lisa thought they were funny, because she used her own jokes (IE about her banging black guys etc) and took them to the next level with the football field joke. But the jokes about Pam and Hulk were just mean spirited, telling someone their daughter is a whore isn't funny.

I was actually disgusted that Hulk's son was there, just laughing it up and enjoying himself while his friend is fucked for life due to the car accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom