• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Popo is blue, if he was green he would die

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takao

Banned
wat

This morning's Toonzai on the CW4Kids broadcast of DragonBall Z Kai had a very interesting edit... While one can understand why he was changed (you know, black face and all), but one would have to question the length. I'd imagine changing the colour of his lips would suffice, but hey, I'm not broadcast standards at the CW.

harSon

Banned
My nephew was watching it about a month or two ago and my dad flipped out when he saw it :lol I guess he never witnessed it when I was younger...

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Takao said:
wat

This morning's Toonzai on the CW4Kids broadcast of DragonBall Z Kai had a very interesting edit... While one can understand why he was changed (you know, black face and all), but one would have to question the length. I'd imagine changing the colour of his lips would suffice, but hey, I'm not broadcast standards at the CW.
:lol :lol :lol

Harpuia

They don't even try to make it subtle. I'd imagine they'd choose a darker blue, but he's fucking bright blue. :lol

Stitch

Gold Member
I think there are only 2 black people in the whole show and now one of them looks like a atomic na'vi...

MrHicks

Banned
has there actually been any drama by black people complaining about him like EVER?
hasn't DBZ been on the air for like 10 years now all over the place?

why change him blue now if nobody cared in the first place lol

Takao

Banned
Mr. Popo has been sent to the next dimension of censorship.

I like how the Youtube code starts with a 9k. It's self aware.

Gaborn

_38297733_blue_300_ap.jpg

Trevelyon

OH GOD! OH GOD! OH GOD! OH GOD! OH GOD! OH GOD! OH GOD! OH GOD! OH GOD! OH GOD! OH GOD! OH GOD! OH GOD! OH GOD! OH GOD! OH GOD! OH GOD! OH GOD! OH GOD!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Just thin his lips out if you're worried about the blackface, jesus :lol

@ helios:

Hiii

harSon

Banned
The voice over dub works wonderfully in lockstep with his ridiculous depiction, he straight up sounds like a house servant :lol

Degen

it looks like an overlapping color edit. Couldn't have been an appealing blue, just a solid, burn-through-your-eyes blue.

Honestly, as a black male, I don't find this offensive at all. I think Popo looked funny. Atleast he's not shucking and jiving for Kami. Then I'd rage.

harSon

Banned
spindashing said:
Honestly, as a black male, I don't find this offensive at all. I think Popo looked funny. Atleast he's not shucking and jiving for Kami. Then I'd rage.

Though he may not appear to physically age, Mr. Popo is very old; having served Kami, the Guardian of Earth for hundreds of years, he also served Kami's predecessor, as well as every other guardian of the Earth in the past.Being the loyal and faithful servant that he is, his purpose consists mainly of tending to Kami’s Palace, keeping the Lookout clean, helping to reconstruct Shenron if needed, and most importantly, taking care of Kami. He also tends to the ancient butterfly garden that he planted thousands of years ago, and enjoys the more simple things in life. While Funimation’s English dubbed Mr. Popo speaks complete, highly sophisticated sentences, the Japanese version proves him to be a seemingly primitive figure. His grasp of the common tongue is less than the English-dubbed version makes it out to be, and in addition, the Japanese version has him commonly referring to himself in the third person,

Just sayin' :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom