• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Popo is blue, if he was green he would die

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calcaneus

I totally see the reasoning behind it, but I don't know how many people were really offended by it in the first place. DBZ has been on tv for nearly 14 years at this point, and nowhere near the peak of its popularity, seems like an odd time to do it.

And most importantly, it just looks goofy.

Instro

I dunno man I'm not a big fan of the trombones and such it seems a bit cheesy and underwhelming when you compare it to some of the cool synthesized tracks that were used in the original dub.

Then again Kai has blue Popo, might outweigh everything else. :lol

Instro said:
I dunno man I'm not a big fan of the trombones and such it seems a bit cheesy and underwhelming when you compare it to some of the cool synthesized tracks that were used in the original dub.

Then again Kai has blue Popo, might outweigh everything else. :lol

The english dub music always had a cheapness about it that I can't get over, like a mall casio keyboard. The old music had a classic feel to me (plus it wasn't constantly going). I think it worked.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
this is what i mean when i say kai has a superior dub script:

gravity test/weighted clothes:

kai: "ooh. i didn't realize he was already wearing weighted training gear"

funimation orange brick dub: "ooh. excellent. he's losing some of the unnecessary gear that's making himself heavier"

the first one i get a sense of him being impressed. the second, he's glad he's taking it off, only to tell him to put it back on in a short bit.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I'm surprised so many people in this thread don't know just how, well, STUPIDLY Mr. Popo speaks in japanese, especially in DB/DBZ (Kai is slightly less ridiculous, but still bad).

I'm trying to find clips from DBZ to illustrate this but no luck.

btrick

mad_tobias_blue_myself.jpg

eosos said:

Hi there, face here?

face.jpg

You know what blue my mind? In the spanish dub, Mr Popo is named....Mr Popo.

In spanish popo = poop. Yes, with an accent, but come on. A black character named mr poo?

Anth0ny

oh my fucking god :lol

Ocean didn't do it back in the day, FUNi didn't do it back in the day... why now? Haven't we gotten past the whole black-face thing? The story is 20 years old for fuck sakes :lol

This is 4Kids One Piece level of bad.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
harSon said:
Just sayin' :lol
wtf, japan?? :lol never knew this shit.

Takao

Banned
Part of me thinks this is an attempt by 4Kids and the CW to bolster ratings for the show. If they made it a farce, I'd be willing to wake up every Saturday and watch it.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
"This is America. My President is black, and my Popo is blue..."

While Funimation’s English dubbed Mr. Popo speaks complete, highly sophisticated sentences, the Japanese version proves him to be a seemingly primitive figure. His grasp of the common tongue is less than the English-dubbed version makes it out to be, and in addition, the Japanese version has him commonly referring to himself in the third person,
Yeah, Mr. Popo speaks really basic and broken Japanese.

Teknoman

Hitokage said:
"This is America. My President is black, and my Popo is blue..."

Yeah, Mr. Popo speaks really basic and broken Japanese.

In that case, i'll take the Funimation voice actors and original DBZ music. Perfect combo to me.

Watching a fight to Solid State Scouter is awesome, and most of the original music actually sounds like martial arts fighting music.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
whats wrong with japanese popo? you people are trying to be offended.

popo isnt a person and he doesn't get out much and he's older than time, but he speaks with a fluent modern accent, wth. the japanese version seems like a much more fleshed out character.

El Sloth

Banned
Pandaman said:
whats wrong with japanese popo? you people are trying to be offended.

popo isnt a person and he doesn't get out much and he's older than time, but he speaks with a fluent modern accent, wth. the japanese version seems like a much more fleshed out character.

2irvfbo.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom