• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Cruncheons (ex Borecast): Cruncheon This! Minicast 01

direct download: http://cruncheons.podbean.com/mf/web/29rt7j/Cruncheons_CruncheonThis01.mp3

Welcome to the first installment of Cruncheon This! These will be our 30 minute (give or take) interstitial shows bridging the weeks between full-length episodes. For this first installment Robert talks about Eric Flint’s 1632 (Ring of Fire) series, while Kevin and Doug talk about the following iPad apps and games:

Zumocast (& media streaming in general)

Guns ‘n’ Glory

Last Front: Europe HD

RadiantHD

Don-Don-Pachi Resurrection

Rhinelands

Undercroft

Warblade

Talk to you again next week with our “Fall and Winter Wishbook” show focusing on this season’s upcoming holiday video game slate!

By the way, I have to make a correction here (I'll do it on the next show, too). You CAN open "other" files in Zumocast, by downloading them. I opened my .cbr that way.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Robert neglects the many unfortunate souls that have either asshole ISPs or substandard connectivity which make frequent movie streaming prohibitive. Hurray American broadband.

Anyway, I started and completed my DVD ripping project over the summer, and the hardest part was deciding what format to commit to. The actual ripping process was just me letting multiple processes of DVD Decrypter keep my drives constantly busy until my harddrive was nearly full, then building a long handbrake queue and letting it churn for a day or so. Even though I originally had playback on my PS3 in mind, the files also play as-is on my ipod touch.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Hitokage said:
Anyway, I started and completed my DVD ripping project over the summer, and the hardest part was deciding what format to commit to. The actual ripping process was just me letting multiple processes of DVD Decrypter keep my drives constantly busy until my harddrive was nearly full, then building a long handbrake queue and letting it churn for a day or so. Even though I originally had playback on my PS3 in mind, the files also play as-is on my ipod touch.

I did this over a process of a few years; DVD Decrypter / AutoGK -> Xvid AVIs for a while, and later DVD Decrypter / Handbrake -> h264 mp4s was what I settled on. I haven't gotten around to re-ripping all the old AVI format stuff yet.

Most of my stuff is TV rather than movies, so I also wrote a batch file to auto-name stuff correctly determine which PGC/VTS locations episodes are stored in. If I had had to manually do that I'd have blown out my brains. The only real weak link in my process was having only one optical drive and thus having to feed new discs pretty frequently.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Most TV series put episodes into separate titles on the disc, so it's not so bad, but having to keep track of chapter intervals is a pain in the ass. Fortunately, even if episode filenames come out in a way that make it hard to automate a mass-rename either through the "rename" command line program or a "for x in *.m4v" loop, getting into a good keyboard rhythm with the clipboard and 10key works well too.

That reminds me, the discs that define 99 different titles with randomized scene ordering and inclusion are made by assholes. It's not even hard to find out which is the right one, but somehow they feel the need to be dicks anyway.

I can pinpoint the exact movie where I stopped caring about ripping all my DVDs: Dillinger.

"Do I really need to preserve this? Do I really need to have instant access to Dillinger? Dillinger?"

I still have an external HDD full of DVD rips that I will likely never watch. Plus, like an idiot, I ripped everything as a compressed ISO. "I might want to rewatch the special features!" hahahaha

Top Bottom