• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nomura: No Kingdom Hearts 3 by 2012

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/09/28/nomura_kh3/

Here's what Tetsuya Nomura had to say about Kingdom Hearts 3 in the new Dengeki PlayStation:

"2012 is the 10th anniversary of Kingdom Hearts, so we'd like to do something to celebrate. However, I'll say this up front, just because it's the 10th anniversary, we still won't have KH3 out (laughs)."

See that "laughs" in there? It means Nomura might have been joking.

Of course, given that we could still be waiting for Final Fantasy Versus XIII in 2012, maybe he's not joking.

Also in this Dengeki interview, Nomura shared a few comments on Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep Final Mix.

Final Mix is, like past Final Mixes, a Japanese version of the US Birth By Sleep, with a bit of added content, including a couple of additional powerful bosses. Those who have a save file from the original Birth By Sleep will get a bonus of some form.

Nomura admitted that there won't be as much content when compared with Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix +. You'll recall that Final Mix + included a full PS2 conversion of Game Boy Advance's Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories, so Nomura will probably be making a similar comparison for the rest of his life.

entremet

Makes sense. Versus 13 is probably keeping his team busy. We'll probably won't see Versus until 2012 either. :lol

[Nintex]

entrement said:
Makes sense. Versus 13 is probably keeping his team busy. We'll probably won't see Versus until 2012 either. :lol
Square Enix employees like Nomura should be glad that their boss is mental.

Peff

Suzzopher said:
I doubt we'll see Versus or Kingdom Hearts 3D until 2012 :(

Indeed, at least in the US/Europe. Doesn't really matter since they seem to have a streak of awesome portable games ready but at that point maybe it's not even worth it to release a KH on current gen consoles.

I guess that nixes the possibility of Kingdom Hearts 3D turning out to be KH3. I wonder if it'll be the one that ends up tying up the loose ends from Birth By Sleep or not... I'm starting to change my mind and think it won't be.

ILikeFeet

Banned
badcrumble said:
I guess that nixes the possibility of Kingdom Hearts 3D turning out to be KH3. I wonder if it'll be the one that ends up tying up the loose ends from Birth By Sleep or not... I'm starting to change my mind and think it won't be.

it might. it takes place after Coded.

Magnus

Versus XIII will probably only materialize in 2012. Anyone who thought we'd see a main series KH console release by then was kidding themselves.

-Winnie-

I was about to make a post about not really needing an HD Kingdom Hearts but then I realised... fuck, it'd be quite awesome.
Still, I think Versus is a good enough incentive for us to wait. :p

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Expected but won't stop the whining of the KH3 HD crowd.

Nomura admitted that there won't be as much content when compared with Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix +
This is the real news here! Less cognitive dissonance now.

Skilletor

Londa said:
People want KH's on a console not a handheld. Their just too cheap to make a console game.

If I get games the quality of KH: BbS, I couldn't care less where they are. In fact, I prefer on a handheld. Maybe I'm not "people."

Also, lol at saying SE is cheap.

ILikeFeet

Banned
Skilletor said:
If I get games the quality of KH: BbS, I couldn't care less where they are. In fact, I prefer on a handheld. Maybe I'm not "people."

KH3D is exacly that! :D

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Born while Knocked Out was KHIII anyway.

Or zero or whatever.

KH 2002
KHII 2005/2006
KH0 2010

So next main game by next World Cup.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'll be expecting it in 2012.

There are more handheld Kingdom Hearts games than console games at this point anyway; if you count the Final Mixes as separate games, this will still hold to be true once KH3D and Birth By Sleep Final Mix are out. Kingdom Hearts is turning into a predominantly handheld series.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
badcrumble said:
There are more handheld Kingdom Hearts games than console games at this point anyway; if you count the Final Mixes as separate games, this will still hold to be true once KH3D and Birth By Sleep Final Mix are out. Kingdom Hearts is turning into a predominantly handheld series.

Which isn't the least surprising as Japan has turned into handheld land.

Fuu

Crewnh said:
Kingdom Hearts II came out in 2005, Nomura.

All your voice actors are going to die before the next game.
Birth by Sleep had a lot of voice acting.

Fuu

The upgrades they're doing on Re:Coded are looking sweet too, can't wait for that one.

At least KH3D will see less handheld bitching since everyone is creaming their pants for that console.

Londa said:
omg wow, so when will KH 3 come out? Stop making PSP and DS games....
I'd rather they stick to making portable games since their console output hasn't been so great.

Also, shocking news of the decade. Did not see coming.

Putting an emphasis on numbers seems stupid.

As long as it's not complete sidestory trash like 358/2 Days and more clearly mainstory/great gameplay experiences like Birth By Sleep, what does it matter if it's called Kingdom Hearts 3, Kingdom Hearts 3DS, or Sora and Riku's Wacky Adventures in Disney Worlds?

Kusagari

Why is this surprising? I'm pretty sure they're going to make the Versus team do the real KH3 and who knows when Versus will come out. :lol

Did I ever tell you guys me theory for the story of KH 3DS?

*spoilers for the rest of the KH series, I guess. Ye be warned.*

Sora is not actually Sora. It's Xion and the game takes place within the recesses of Sora's memory, allowing him/her to visit the various worlds that Sora has been to before. Riku, meanwhile, is not actually Riku either, but a glitch in Namine's memory abilities that created an errant heart being with free will that bonded to the first coherent memory it came across, hence why it looks like Riku. Said aberration starts drawing on the memories of beings that are not Sora due to Namine's power going haywire and thus the worlds he/it can access are all-new in context of the series.

Xion's gameplay section will be spent revisiting the old worlds because all the Darkness Sora has exposed himself to (via fighting Heartless/visiting the Abyss of Kingdom Hearts/etc) is starting to manifest in his mind in unhealthy ways (it's also revealed/retconned to be the new source of Sora's AntiForm, and it's starting to eat away at Sora more and more) such as becoming Heartless and Nobodies in the context of his mind. Xion's job is to stamp out the darkness in Sora's heart - and maybe find a way to manifest herself as a separate being again.

The Memory Fragment (henceforth referred to as Riku for simplicity's sake), meanwhile, is born as a new existence with little knowledge of how he/it got here and thus begins wandering through the various worlds (some new, some old), beating up other memory fragments that also manifested itself in Sora's subconscious and are inherently hostile to him because they look like Nobodies/Heartless and Riku does not and that's just the way it works. This is eventually revealed to be slowly erasing Sora's memory again, and manifests itself from Xion's PoV as the memory-worlds she is traveling through slowly falling apart.

Eventually Xion and Riku meet, and Xion, believing Riku to be a mindless memory fragment, attempts to destroy him. The two clash into a relative standstill, until Roxas shows up.

Yes, Roxas. The 3rd, heretofore unknown playable character shows up and tries to sort things out relatively peacefully, but Riku refuses to listen and runs off into the shadows. Roxas' gameplay section (maybe with Xion as a permanent partner?) is him travelling through the 7 worlds of the seven princesses of Heart (because he's connected to Ven's Heart, which is pure Light, and the rest of the Princesses of Heart are pure Light too so that means they're connected which means Roxas can go through their memory worlds. Somehow.) to hunt down this Riku. Eventually, they run into the Final Boss of the game: Vanitas.

Yes, Vanitas. After being shattered at the end of BbS, Vanitas lingered in Sora's heart alongside Ven and slowly began to draw on the darkness in Sora's heart to rebuild his strength. Because Sora has so little darkness (to start with, anyway), it took him over 10 years to regain his power, but now he's back and he wants to take over Sora's heart completely. Riku shows up, realizes that even if he is aberration, he can still choose to do good (see? This is like, self-affirmation and stuff. It's GOOD STORYTELLING) and fights Vanitas. He weakens Vanitas, but Vanitas succeeds in stabbing him. He dissolves back into memory fragments, but those fragments get absorbed by Xion, since she's ultimately also made of memories. Xion then fights Vanitas, and almost finishes him off, but Vanitas pulls out his trump card - during the battle with Ven, he learned that Light held power also, and he somehow figured out how to draw on it. How this works with a being of pure Darkness is conveniently glossed over. Vanitas fights, defeats and nearly kills Xion but then Roxas absorbs her because she's Sora's memories and he's Sora... kind of, anyway, so he can do that and uses her power to fight Vanitas to a standstill.

Then Ven shows up and randomly hands his power to Roxas because, hey, why not? And then the finishing blow is dealt by Roxas quintuple wielding Keyblades (it sounds stupid but it will be totally awesome and not stupid at all. Honest.). This also fixes all the damage to Sora's memory because HEART POWER dammit.

Vanitas uses the last of his strength to stab Roxas in the heart, which seals Roxas away into Ven's heart. Somehow. And Sora wakes up the next morning with the trippiest dream ever. Meanwhile, inside Sora's heart Ven is trying to send Sora message that he needs to rescue Roxas who is inside his heart so he can rescue Xion who is inside Roxas' heart so he can rescue the Riku Memory Fragment inside her, um, memories. Cue the next KH game.

Yeah.

Aeana

ShockingAlberto said:
Putting an emphasis on numbers seems stupid.

As long as it's not complete sidestory trash like 358/2 Days and more clearly mainstory/great gameplay experiences like Birth By Sleep, what does it matter if it's called Kingdom Hearts 3, Kingdom Hearts 3DS, or Sora and Riku's Wacky Adventures in Disney Worlds?
It only matters to people who can't accept handheld games as worthy experiences. If Birth by Sleep was on a console, this thread would have turned out pretty differently.

Londa

Banned
Skilletor said:

Making a game with PS2 graphics in this gen is being cheap. That is why there are so many handheld games. Its cheaper to make a handheld game than a console game.

I am curious what aspects of "major" Kingdom Hearts games the naysayers feel Birth By Sleep lacks and KH3DS will lack.

If it's simply "ability to be played on a TV screen," then you can probably just admit it. Not everyone likes handhelds. But it doesn't make those games sidestories just because they're not in HD and you want them to be.

Top Bottom