• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nomura: No Kingdom Hearts 3 by 2012

......don't expect it anytime soon and play side stories if I so chose?

After birth by sleep I just hope the side story efforts remain strong.

H_Prestige said:
From a gameplay perspective, there hasn't been a KH game to match the scope of the ps2 KH games. All BBS is is a ps2 level game that has been butchered and hacked at to fit the psp limitations. I consider it just as useless as the other handheld games. Once you have played KH2 Final Mix, it is hard to settle for anything less.

I'm curious - in what way is BbS inferior to KH2?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
AwakenedCloud said:
Anybody still expecting this to end up on current-gen consoles?

I'm guessing it will. See KHII and FFXII (both launched at 2006, launch of PS3/Wii and the year before that, 360).

Sadist

After reading Pureauthor's theory about Kingdom Hearts, I will never buy a game from that series to begin with.

Serious comment, no shit.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Aeana said:
Uhhh... no. You can say that about 179 Days and Chain of Memories, but Birth by Sleep is a brand new story with new characters and new worlds that is just as substantial as KH1 and 2.

I wouldn't go that far, but it is not just a spin-off game either.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Pureauthor said:
Did I ever tell you guys me theory for the story of KH 3DS?

*spoilers for the rest of the KH series, I guess. Ye be warned.*

Sora is not actually Sora. It's Xion and the game takes place within the recesses of Sora's memory, allowing him/her to visit the various worlds that Sora has been to before. Riku, meanwhile, is not actually Riku either, but a glitch in Namine's memory abilities that created an errant heart being with free will that bonded to the first coherent memory it came across, hence why it looks like Riku. Said aberration starts drawing on the memories of beings that are not Sora due to Namine's power going haywire and thus the worlds he/it can access are all-new in context of the series.

Xion's gameplay section will be spent revisiting the old worlds because all the Darkness Sora has exposed himself to (via fighting Heartless/visiting the Abyss of Kingdom Hearts/etc) is starting to manifest in his mind in unhealthy ways (it's also revealed/retconned to be the new source of Sora's AntiForm, and it's starting to eat away at Sora more and more) such as becoming Heartless and Nobodies in the context of his mind. Xion's job is to stamp out the darkness in Sora's heart - and maybe find a way to manifest herself as a separate being again.

The Memory Fragment (henceforth referred to as Riku for simplicity's sake), meanwhile, is born as a new existence with little knowledge of how he/it got here and thus begins wandering through the various worlds (some new, some old), beating up other memory fragments that also manifested itself in Sora's subconscious and are inherently hostile to him because they look like Nobodies/Heartless and Riku does not and that's just the way it works. This is eventually revealed to be slowly erasing Sora's memory again, and manifests itself from Xion's PoV as the memory-worlds she is traveling through slowly falling apart.

Eventually Xion and Riku meet, and Xion, believing Riku to be a mindless memory fragment, attempts to destroy him. The two clash into a relative standstill, until Roxas shows up.

Yes, Roxas. The 3rd, heretofore unknown playable character shows up and tries to sort things out relatively peacefully, but Riku refuses to listen and runs off into the shadows. Roxas' gameplay section (maybe with Xion as a permanent partner?) is him travelling through the 7 worlds of the seven princesses of Heart (because he's connected to Ven's Heart, which is pure Light, and the rest of the Princesses of Heart are pure Light too so that means they're connected which means Roxas can go through their memory worlds. Somehow.) to hunt down this Riku. Eventually, they run into the Final Boss of the game: Vanitas.

Yes, Vanitas. After being shattered at the end of BbS, Vanitas lingered in Sora's heart alongside Ven and slowly began to draw on the darkness in Sora's heart to rebuild his strength. Because Sora has so little darkness (to start with, anyway), it took him over 10 years to regain his power, but now he's back and he wants to take over Sora's heart completely. Riku shows up, realizes that even if he is aberration, he can still choose to do good (see? This is like, self-affirmation and stuff. It's GOOD STORYTELLING) and fights Vanitas. He weakens Vanitas, but Vanitas succeeds in stabbing him. He dissolves back into memory fragments, but those fragments get absorbed by Xion, since she's ultimately also made of memories. Xion then fights Vanitas, and almost finishes him off, but Vanitas pulls out his trump card - during the battle with Ven, he learned that Light held power also, and he somehow figured out how to draw on it. How this works with a being of pure Darkness is conveniently glossed over. Vanitas fights, defeats and nearly kills Xion but then Roxas absorbs her because she's Sora's memories and he's Sora... kind of, anyway, so he can do that and uses her power to fight Vanitas to a standstill.

Then Ven shows up and randomly hands his power to Roxas because, hey, why not? And then the finishing blow is dealt by Roxas quintuple wielding Keyblades (it sounds stupid but it will be totally awesome and not stupid at all. Honest.). This also fixes all the damage to Sora's memory because HEART POWER dammit.

Vanitas uses the last of his strength to stab Roxas in the heart, which seals Roxas away into Ven's heart. Somehow. And Sora wakes up the next morning with the trippiest dream ever. Meanwhile, inside Sora's heart Ven is trying to send Sora message that he needs to rescue Roxas who is inside his heart so he can rescue Xion who is inside Roxas' heart so he can rescue the Riku Memory Fragment inside her, um, memories. Cue the next KH game.

Yeah.

You need professional help.

Man, this thread is absolutely full of bitter tears.

At the end of the day, I just feel sad for all of the people who aren't getting to experience BBS because of their bias against portable gaming. You guys are missing out on a kick ass experience.

My basic thought about KH3 is that if it winds up on PSP, 3DS, PS3, or 360, I'll be pleased as punch, so I'll pretty much be happy no matter what. It's nice to be open to these things.

Pureauthor said:
I'm curious - in what way is BbS inferior to KH2?

Worse controls, lower image quality, smaller environments, less extra content compared to Final Mix, and 3" display.

I'm not referring to battle systems or level up mechanics, as those are all well and good. It's just unfortunate this game was designed around a handheld when it deserved at least ps2 level hardware.

My only beef with having KHIII on a portable is I'm getting tired of playing variations of the PS2 KH formula. I would like to see what KH could do with current generation technology and, perhaps, production values. Luckily, we've got Versus XIII.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Man, this thread is absolutely full of bitter tears.

At the end of the day, I just feel sad for all of the people who aren't getting to experience BBS because of their bias against portable gaming. You guys are missing out on a kick ass experience.

Yea its kinda crazy :lol

Mr. Wonderful said:
My only beef with having KHIII on a portable is I'm getting tired of playing variations of the PS2 KH formula. I would like to see what KH could do with current generation technology and, perhaps, production values. Luckily, we've got Versus XIII.
Versus XIII doesn't have as much precedent to go on and is more likely to innovate than KH3. Kingdom Hearts 3 is probably still going to stick to the PS2 KH formula, because it's one that has been immensely successful. I'm sure the worlds will be prettier, the character models more detailed, the effects shinier, but ultimately it's still emulating the look of a cartoon which means fairly simple geometry and textures for a lot of stuff in the game, and ultimately it's still going to have worlds divided into fairly simple zones. It'd be nice if they weren't - it'd be awesome to have something on the scale of KH1's Hollow Bastion again except without any zoning whatsoever - but I have a lot of doubts about that.

LiK

badcrumble said:
Versus XIII doesn't have as much precedent to go on and is more likely to innovate than KH3. Kingdom Hearts 3 is probably still going to stick to the PS2 KH formula, because it's one that has been immensely successful. I'm sure the worlds will be prettier, the character models more detailed, the effects shinier, but ultimately it's still emulating the look of a cartoon which means fairly simple geometry and textures for a lot of stuff in the game, and ultimately it's still going to have worlds divided into fairly simple zones. It'd be nice if they weren't - it'd be awesome to have something on the scale of KH1's Hollow Bastion again except without any zoning whatsoever - but I have a lot of doubts about that.

but imagine playing with Pixar characters in 1080p!!!!!!

I wasn't sure if I should make a new thread or not but during the Nintendo 3DS conference, in a video about developer's 3DS games, Nomura talks about Kingdom Hearts 3DS and says, "It also includes 3 which implies that this might be the third iteration of Kingdom Hearts"

He starts talking after 8 minutes of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-wHeoQ0q6E&feature=related

Now this could mean anything but I guess we'll find out soon. Thanks to wrowa for mentioning this in the 3DS launch thread.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Shadowlink said:
I wasn't sure if I should make a new thread or not but during the Nintendo 3DS conference, in a video about developer's 3DS games, Nomura talks about Kingdom Hearts 3DS and says, "It also includes 3 which implies that this might be the third iteration of Kingdom Hearts"

Now this could mean anything but I guess we'll find out soon. Thanks to wrowa for mentioning this in the 3DS launch thread.

Why would he say it unless it were true? "It has a three in the title, which might make it Kingdom Hearts 3. Ho ho!"

Azure J

Regulus Tera said:
Itt: console gamers refuse to accept their inferiority.

Superior Handheld Master Race united

The only race that will eventually find a place next to the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race in the end will be this one. Bet on it.

As for the news at hand, damn that sucks for the folks waiting on a new entry. At the same time though, at least it gives me some time to try out the other games in the series before I'm drowned in the OMG KHIII hype. :lol

Shadowlink said:

So Kingdom Hearts 3DS won't be out until 2012?

:(

I know I'm in the minority but I never played KH2 after KH1.

I'm not a huge RPG fan and the unlimited enemies/grinding/hack n slash of the first game just wore me down.

badcrumble said:
So Kingdom Hearts 3DS won't be out until 2012?

:(

Could be 2011 for Japan but I don't think they really started working on it yet. I think Nomrua said he wanted at least 1 KH game out per year until 3.

H_Prestige said:
1)Worse controls, lower image quality, 2)smaller environments,3) less extra content compared to Final Mix, and 3" display.

1) Other than the camera(which is only that way because it lacks an analogue stick), not especially.

2) True, but on the other hand BBS has areas in which its environment wasn't entirely bland and flat.

3) Too bad KH2 needed that content just to be a good game.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Shadowlink said:

The fanbase could meltdown if this were true.

edit: Actually, I'm sure they've already started. To Gamefaqs, I go~~

FFXIII Versus isn't going to be finished until 2011 at least right? Kingdom Hearts 3 hasn't started development and mostly won't until Versus is out right? FFXIII was in development for 4 years and Versus will be in development for 5-6 years right? So.....why would anyone expect Kingdom Hearts 3 before 2014 at least?

Beth Cyra

Yasae said:
Correct. Nomura is the one who doesn't release any of the games he works on, and still gets paid for it.

VS XIII and what? I really can't think of any other game he has worked on unless you are counting Agito, but in that case he has released ton of games this gen alone.

DR2K

Banned
KuwabaraTheMan said:

I love handhelds as much as the next guy, but playing a game on a portable device can be totally inconvenient and uncomfortable for a lot of people. BBS is a great game, but if you have to play it on something you feel is cumbersome or inadequate then you aren't missing much.

Shadowlink said:

2vtrsqw.jpg

That would be amazing.

I don't see how Square can stay in business long term if it takes them half a console life cycle to release one game and that one game isnt even that great (FF XIII, KH 2,etc.)

DR2K

Banned
Anticitizen One said:
I don't see how Square can stay in business long term if it takes them half a console life cycle to release one game and that one game isnt even that great (FF XIII, KH 2,etc.)

They don't make money based on customer satisfaction.

Beth Cyra

Anticitizen One said:

Maybe because they released more then 1 game? Also that one (though you have several games listed) sell multiple millions of copies?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Shadowlink said:

He's trolling everyone again, lol. This is what we knew so far:

"While the name "Kingdom Hearts 3D" isn't a final name, it does have something to do with the final name. The "3D" in this placeholder title does not stand for "3 Dimension," said Nomura, but is an abbreviation for the game's subtitle."

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/06/18/nomura_on_kh_3ds/

After Kingdom Hearts: 344567880201/3(x²) anything is possible. It could stand for Kingdom Hearts: 3Dumbasses for all I care, I can't wait to know the important stuff like the new systems the game will have.

Top Bottom