• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 121 |OT| USA vs "Mexico"

Status
Not open for further replies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
ufc5rpbk.png

PREVIEW
MAIN CARD

UFC Heavyweight Championship
Brock Lesnar (c) (-135) vs. Cain Velasquez (+105)

Martin Kampmann (+175) vs. Jake Shields (-220)

Diego Sanchez (+100) vs. Paulo Thiago (-130)

Matt Hamill (-155) vs. Tito Ortiz (+125)

Gabriel Gonzaga (-165) vs. Brendan Schaub (+135)

PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike TV)

Ryan Jensen vs. Court McGee

Patrick Cote vs. Tom Lawlor

PRELIMINARY CARD

Sam Stout vs. Paul Taylor

Mike Guymon vs. Daniel Roberts

Chris Camozzi vs. Dongi Yang

Jon Madsen vs. Gilbert Yvel

Who is going to win? Let's ask Fedor...
15otlys.jpg

up early because I had time

Jake.

cain by KO.
shields by TKO.
thiago by decision.
schaub by decision, or a fluke KO by gonzaga.

it's not 2006 anymore - who gives a shit about tito now? dude was always a chump.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I really don't know how to pick the fight.

Brock Lesnar (c) (-135) vs. Cain Velasquez (+105) via TKO

Martin Kampmann (+175) vs. Jake Shields (-220) via UD

Diego Sanchez (+100) vs. Paulo Thiago (-130) via UD

Matt Hamill (-155) vs. Tito Ortiz (+125) via TKO

Gabriel Gonzaga (-165) vs. Brendan Schaub (+135) via TKO

i'll probably shift these around 10 times

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I wouldn't bet on a single one of the ME fights. All of them could very realistically go either way.

Alvarez-Huerta tomorrow night will be a nice appetizer for this.

yacobod

Banned
Jake. said:
however the mood fits, i'll swallow like a champ if i have to.

aint no ifs, cain aint winning

cant wait for this hype train to get derailed, never seen him as being that impressive considering the amount he gets pushed, all the legendary stories coming out of AKA about how good he is, who has he really beat? fucking kongo and zombie nog, so did frank mir, im really impressed

like brock said, im going to enjoy a burrito and a corona after the fight

Jake.

yacobod said:
aint no ifs, cain aint winning

cant wait for this hype train to get derailed, never seen him as being that impressive considering the amount he gets pushed, all the legendary stories coming out of AKA about how good he is, who has he really beat? fucking kongo and zombie nog, so did frank mir, im really impressed

like brock said, im going to enjoy a burrito and a corona after the fight

i'm not that big of a cain fan, he's (a little) overrated for where he is so far career-wise but i still say he'll win. also, a brock fan complaining about hype? :lol

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Jake. said:
if cain loses, i will suck a dick.
Im not as brave as you but Cain has it in the bag.

Go Cain ! clapclap clapclapclap

yacobod

Banned
Jake. said:
i'm not that big of a cain fan, he's (a little) overrated for where he is so far career-wise but i still say he'll win. also, brock fan complaining about hype? :lol

im not even a brock fan, but thus far in their mma careers, brocks faced the better competition

JDS future btw

Nameless

Brock by decision or KO via vicious ground and pound. If he could withstand the best Carwin could dish out do we really think Cain can finish him with strikes? True, the perfect punch can end anyone and sure, Cain's cardio is on a different level than either Brock's or Shane's, but if/when Lesnar takes him down I don't see Cain getting up.

WAR Champ.

Even if you hate Lesnar you should be routing for Brock vs. JDS to happen.

Ripenen

JDS didn't look all that hot in his last fight. What would he bring that Carwin, Mir, Randy, or Herring didn't bring?

Velasquez I think is the most dangerous match for Lesnar just because of their wrestling backgrounds and Cain's cardio. If Cain can somehow avoid getting bullrushed I could see this fight going to a decision with Cain outscoring Brock on striking.

However, given Lesnar's temperament I could also see him getting frustrated after eating jabs and leg kicks for a few rounds and end up doing something stupid. Even if he does though, I'm not too confident that Cain would be able to capitalize with a sub or TKO.

I'm rooting for Lesnar just because he's a more exciting fighter to watch. His style isn't pretty, but it's entertaining.

Nameless said:
Brock by decision or KO via vicious ground and pound. If he could withstand the best Carwin could dish out do we really think Cain can finish him with strikes? True, the perfect punch can end anyone and sure, Cain's cardio is on a different level than either Brock's or Shane's, but if/when Lesnar takes him down I don't see Cain getting up.

WAR Champ.

Even if you hate Lesnar you should be routing for Brock vs. JDS to happen.

What? That would be a horrible match up.

Zeke

I'll be more specific first mexican-american hw champ in UFC but thats still false since ricco got it first.

Szu

Hmmm, so a Mexican underdog contender is facing the Champ, Brock Lesnar. The only way he's going to win is if Goldberg runs in and spears Brock.

smurfx

get some go again

Go velasquez!

Fio

Ripenen said:
JDS didn't look all that hot in his last fight. What would he bring that Carwin, Mir, Randy, or Herring didn't bring?

What? He turned Nelson into a punching bag for three rounds during that fight.

And I'm pretty sure that running around scared and getting into a fetal position until your opponent is tired of punching you isn't working with JDS.

Instro

Martin Kampmann (+175) vs. Jake Shields (-220)- This will be terrible.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
If Brock stands with Cain, he'll get KTFO. Guaranteed.

Brock is going to want to take this to the ground ASAP. It'll be interesting to see if Cain can avoid those takedowns. Brock's takedowns aren't exactly unstoppable as Couture and Carwin showed.

Carwin's problem was that he gassed and gassed badly. That's not going to happen with Cain.

WAR VELASQUEZ

Asbel

Fio said:
What? He turned Nelson into a punching bag for three rounds during that fight.

And I'm pretty sure that running around scared and getting into a fetal position until your opponent is tired of punching you isn't working with JDS.
that fetal position is still better than anyone else who got punched by carwin.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
This is one hell of a card as far as matchmaking goes. These are all pickem fights really. I dunno, gonna have to ponder this one a spell.

UFC Heavyweight Championship
Despite what the fanboys think Cain has a lot going on. If he can stuff the take downs and keep it standing he has this in the bag.

The potential of Shields getting Smashed by GSP has me rooting for him.

ALL DAY!

my lol match up of the night.

2nd round knock out. lol

Cerrius said:
If Brock stands with Cain, he'll get KTFO. Guaranteed.

Cain has to throw many, many punches in bunches. He's not a power puncher in the HW division like Carwin at all, and his ground striking is a joke in comparison to the top strikers in the div. If he's going to punch Brock out, it'll have to be on the feet. He will probably not be able to finish Lesnar off on the ground unless Lesnar is absolutely loopy from the strikes that knock him off his feet. Brock's striking defense improves daily.

Cerrius said:
Brock is going to want to take this to the ground ASAP. It'll be interesting to see if Cain can avoid those takedowns. Brock's takedowns aren't exactly unstoppable as Couture and Carwin showed.

Uh. Couture is an elite level wrestler. Cain is not. Lesnar only attempted three shots for takedowns against Carwin, and got the one he needed to win the fight, so I don't know if I'd hang my hat on that as proof of anything.

Cerrius said:
Carwin's problem was that he gassed and gassed badly. That's not going to happen with Cain.

Cain has a great gas tank. That will be his greatest asset. But he's giving up soooooooo much in size, strength and wrestling depth that he will need every bit of that to stay on his feet and land strikes. I hope he's been working on leg kicks, because, honestly, I think his mobility and stamina, combined with leg kicks, are his best tools to use.

Cerrius said:
WAR VELASQUEZ

It's good to want things. Good luck with that. IMO, Cain has a much harder mountain to climb than you think. He'll be 30 lbs smaller than Brock at the bell.

Personally, I think the only man who would beat Brock Lesnar at this point is Alistair Overeem. I'd like to see that fight more than any other HW fight in MMA right now.

My Picks:

Brock Lesnar (c) (-135) vs. Cain Velasquez (+105) Brock by GnP, Rd. 2

Martin Kampmann (+175) vs. Jake Shields (-220) Shields is too skilled. Sub victory in rd. 2

Diego Sanchez (+100) vs. Paulo Thiago (-130) I want to see Thiago win, but I think Diego can grind this out to a decision.

Matt Hamill (-155) vs. Tito Ortiz (+125) Tito has to prove to me he's still an athlete. Decision.

Gabriel Gonzaga (-165) vs. Brendan Schaub (+135) I'm a big Gonzaga fan, but this is a bad matchup for him. Schaub by ugly TKO in rd. 3

Rafa=FedKilla said:
Pretty dull card, UFC has really been hitting the over saturation point this year in terms of PPVs.

Wat!?!?

anyways.....

Kampmann and Schaub are $$$ bet on it!

ya'll are crazy to be picking Diego over Paulo too.....Paulo via being better everywhere. Diego doesn't belong at 170 anymore.

smurfx

get some go again
Rafa=FedKilla said:
Pretty dull card, UFC has really been hitting the over saturation point this year in terms of PPVs.
what? this is probably the best card of the year.

HiResDes

Wallach said:
Lesnar should never shave. Goddamn he looks ten times better with that beard.
He does look pretty badass. I think this card looks damn good too. I like both Brock and Cain so that's just a win for me, though I think Brock may end up gnping his way to a tko.

Other picks:

Shields - decision

Alves - KO

Ortiz - Submission? I'm quite unsure.

HiResDes said:
He does look pretty badass. I think this card looks damn good too. I like both Brock and Cain so that's just a win for me, though I think Brock may end up gnping his way to a tko.

Other picks:

Shields - decision

Alves - KO

Ortiz - Submission? I'm quite unsure.

Alves? there's no Alves on the card, bro.

Tito hasn't subbed anyone since 2000......or even won a fight since 2006.......

AstroLad said:
Ortiz-Hamill should be a Winner-&-Loser-Leaves Match.

lol.....Hamill is a great fighter, love em or hate em.

they should keep tito, i like hearing the new excuses every time he loses.

HiResDes

EraldoCoil said:
Alves? there's no Alves on the card, bro.

Tito hasn't subbed anyone since 2000......or even won a fight since 2006.......
:lol...Wow, I don't even know how I got confused. Thiago - KO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom