• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect System & Game Review Thread [Update: Lots Of Reviews Post 223]

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Different reviewers, different website (ign uk is not the equivalent of ign), better graphics, more responsive controls?

More responsive controls? When you need to arch your back to turn left?

DangerousDave said:
More responsive controls? When you need to arch your back to turn left?
Bozon said the Wii controls are garbage. I haven't played either game, I can't compare. You mocked the gesture controls, but if they are more responsive than pre-motion plus waggle, I would mark them higher.

Shurs

DangerousDave said:
I don't understand very well how the review of Sonic Riders Zero Gravity (or even original Sonic Riders) can be much better (or at least complain about much less things), and get a much lower score.

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/845/845430p1.html

Careful, DangerousDave. Arthur Gies is lurking, ready to rip on anyone who questions the score given by his co-worker to Sonic Riders.

Now if this was, say, Vanquish, picking apart reviewers' scores and questioning their ability to judge games would apparently be fair game in Arthur's mind. But don't you dare question the score of this exclusive first review of a Kinect Launch game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Bozon said the Wii controls are garbage. I haven't played either game, I can't compare. You mocked the gesture controls, but if they are more responsive than pre-motion plus waggle, I would mark them higher.
Yeah, but that only goes for the Wii version. Most previous Riders games used the analog stick.

snap0212

Shurs said:
Arthur Gies is lurking, ready to rip on anyone who questions the score given by his co-worker to Sonic Riders.
Arthur Gies also said that he doesn’t give a shit about message boards after people on message boards donated him and his buddies a shitload of money. ;-)

Anyways; the GiantBomb QuickLook of Sonic Riders didn’t look too great and it’s definitely not a game I’m gonna pick up with Kinect. Sonic has just disappointed me too often. Hope to see more reviews soon.

dark10x said:
Yeah, but that only goes for the Wii version. Most previous Riders games used the analog stick.
And the reviewer said it's the most fun game in the series because it reminded him of playing boarding games in the arcade.

Did you guys actually read it?

The motion controls all worked just fine as long as I was doing exactly what I needed to. Simple things like not throwing with the same arm that the on screen character was using would cause it not to work. It was a bit frustrating at first, like having a game tell me I didn't press the X button in quite the right way. But once I got into the groove and retrained myself to play the game the way it was telling me to, it all became a lot more fluid and easy. I've played the previous Sonic Riders games, and this is definitely the most fun I've had with the series. It brought back fond memories of playing Top Skater in the arcades.

And, unlike the last PS2/Wii game, it has online play.

Best game in an average series + best graphics + improved voice acting + superior multiplayer options I think certainly "justifies" (and I put this in quotes because I really hate when people ignore text and focus on the score) his middling score.

It's not even like he gave it a 9.5 :lol

I think I know where that $500m went to.

Grow up.

Gowans

tass0 said:
I think I know where that $500m went to.
Arthur Gies is rolling in it!

I know there was Gamespot gate, IGN Music Advertorial etc... but in all honesty do people really think there are Kinect money hats?

Arthur Gies is one of a few IGN reviewers that I really trust with opinions. His tastes happen to be close to mine most of the time too. Look forward to his Kinect Sports review.

Shurs

Gowans007 said:
Arthur Gies is rolling in it!

I know there was Gamespot gate, IGN Music Advertorial etc... but in all honesty do people really think there are Kinect money hats?

Arthur Gies is one of a few IGN reviewers that I really trust with opinions. His tastes happen to be close to mine most of the time too. Look forward to his Kinect Sports review.

Of course not. But I do think it's odd that Gies feels he can question the taste and integrity of those who gave Vanquish a high score then come here and rip on someone for questioning the tone of his co-worker's exclusive Sonic Riders video review in relation to its score.

Shurs said:
Of course not. But I do think it's odd that Gies feels he can question the taste and integrity of those who gave Vanquish a high score then come here and rip on someone for questioning the tone of his co-worker's exclusive Sonic Riders video review in relation to its score.

Cool. Thanks for making this thread about an IGN co-worker. This is all very interesting.

Shurs

PopcornMegaphone said:
Cool. Thanks for making this thread about an IGN co-worker. This is all very interesting.

Because we're rolling in review scores right now.

Feel free to start, or contribute to, an interesting discussion.

szaromir

Banned
Shurs said:
Credibility +1

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
szaromir said:
Too meh.

Regardless, I don't understand all this commotion caused by the Sonic Riders. It's not like anyone here is going to play it, is it?
Vanquish is "Too meh"?

No wonder you're in a Kinect thread. Enjoy those fitness games, mate! :D

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...-live-in-the-wild.ars?comments=1#comments-bar Comments from the Ars Guy :lol
Game-wise, you might as well be using a Wii remote.

OK, I do understand that that just tracks a hand, whereas this can track your arms and legs. But from what MS has shown so far, it's basically the same. In some ways better (4 limbs) in some ways worse (the control is much cruder than the Wii offers), but enabling a broadly comparable style of gaming.

>>Kinect actually knows where your entire body is, in the room, and how all of your limbs
>>are angled, etc... So when you play table tennis, you can actually move your entire body,
>>rather than just shake the paddle.

OK, sure. A table tennis game could be written like that. If there is such a capability in the game I played, however, it wasn't apparent. For a start, if you moved too far from the right spot then the game would tell you to move left (or right) so it could see you properly. There's just not that much freedom. Maybe one-player would be better, but I only played table tennis in two player.

Second, it was just hugely limited. In Wii Bowling, for example, I have relatively fine control over the spin I put on the ball; it's all in the wrist. With Kinect Bowling, I don't. Because it can only track my arms, not my hands. To put spin on the ball, you have to essentially flail your arms left or right so that the Kinect can see the movements you're making. It's a similar story in table tennis. There's no nuance or finesse.

>> what was it like without buttons?

Annoying, IMO. Especially when navigating menus and so on. You have to hold your hand over the menu item for a few seconds (the item "fills up" when you hover over it, becoming chosen once it's full), which makes navigation frankly annoying.

I can also imagine that this will be hugely limiting for games.
Hmm sounds like strike 1 to me (sports games). Sad I was really interested in cool tennis and tennis games.

Lets see how Child of Eden does. Looking like I wont pick up my gamestop preorder so far.

derFeef

Are you sure that´s an Ars guy commenting? Review is still under embargo so why would they spoil it in the comments.

Dynoro

cleveridea said:
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...-live-in-the-wild.ars?comments=1#comments-bar Comments from the Ars Guy :lol

Hmm sounds like strike 1 to me (sports games). Sad I was really interested in cool tennis and tennis games.

Lets see how Child of does. Looking like I wont pick up my gamestop preorder so far.
Think I'll believe what I saw in the hour long gamespot vid instead of the comments section of an article - as you could see them playing table tennis and it was picking up the hand movements.

derFeef said:
Are you sure that´s an Ars guy commenting? Review is still under embargo so why would they spoil it in the comments.

From the editor:
Because he's sharing his impressions of the hardware from an event where there was no embargo. If certain other writers for the site had a Kinect unit in their house, and were under a stricter review embargo, they probably couldn't get away with saying much.

Just sayin'

derFeef said:

Yeah its very much open to abuse, only worth posting because of the embargo of reviews (which kind of speaks for itself so far).

His comments make sense however based on the relatively low resolution of the sensor. I imagine that would be the biggest weakness of the product (lack of resolution for precise monitoring of hands etc), versus general movement of all limbs which should be fine for things like dance games, fitness, yoga etc

cleveridea said:
Yeah its very much open to abuse, only worth posting because of the embargo of reviews (which kind of speaks for itself so far).

His comments make sense however based on the relatively low resolution of the sensor. I imagine that would be the biggest weakness of the product (lack of resolution for precise monitoring of hands etc), versus general movement of all limbs which should be fine for things like dance games, fitness, yoga etc
Kinect doesn't really struggle to track hands at all. It's how Joy Ride, Kinect dashboard navigation and holding a bowling ball works. It can't quite track individual fingers consistently due to the lower resolution, but a whole hand is no problem.

InaudibleWhispa said:
Kinect doesn't really struggle to track hands at all. It's how Joy Ride, Kinect dashboard navigation and holding a bowling ball works. It can't quite track individual fingers consistently due to the lower resolution, but a whole hand is no problem.

Yeah I guess here is grey area - can it detect generic HAND motions eg a twisting action for spin.

cleveridea said:
Yeah I guess here is grey area - can it detect generic HAND motions eg a twisting action for spin.
A subtle wrist twist for bowling probably wouldn't be so consistent, which is why Rare tracked it to an arm movement. It mightn't be as realistic, but it gets the job done. Kinect has the advantage of giving the player complete control of the throw though, so you can throw it over arm or even hadouken it if you want. They're going more for fun than a direct translation of the sport. It'll be interesting to see how Brunswick Pro Bowling handle spin.

JaggedSac

cleveridea said:

No, I don't think so. Arm movements will be necessary for generating spin. Kinect Sports bowling does this, and I believe the tennis does as well. It isn't realistic, but it gets the job done I would imagine. Just would probably take some time to get attuned to doing it.

Rad-

Why would it need to track the twist of your hand to do a spin in table tennis? You strike the bat either upwards or downwards quickly and the spin is created. Same in regular tennis.

I can see the issue in bowling though.

JaggedSac

Rad- said:
Why would it need to track the twist of your hand to do a spin in table tennis? You strike the bat either upwards or downwards quickly and the spin is created. Same in regular tennis.

I don't play much table tennis, but do players always keep the paddle face at the same rotation?

StuBurns

Banned
I wonder if Nokia copyrighted (copywrote?) this prototype's name...

6a00e55225079e88340134881e611e970c-pi

szaromir

Banned
dark10x said:
Vanquish is "Too meh"?

No wonder you're in a Kinect thread. Enjoy those fitness games, mate! :D
Vanquish is not "Too meh"?

No wonder you're in a Kinect thread. Enjoy those mediocre games, mate! :D

Dynoro

Dark10x said:
Vanquish is "Too meh"?

No wonder you're in a Kinect thread. Enjoy those fitness games, mate!

szaromir said:
Vanquish is not "Too meh"?

No wonder you're in a Kinect thread. Enjoy those mediocre games, mate! :D

I don't see how him liking of Vanquish correlates in this manner. Judging by previews people can certainly like (or dislike) both Vanquish and Kinect

Noshino

Dunlop said:
Yeah cause the current console dynamic of sports games, racers and FPS is so damn innovative.
if Kinect was at least a decent controller for any of those genres then I have no doubt that we would have seen such games as well....

Kafel

Banned
Noshino said:
if Kinect was at least a decent controller for any of those genres then I have no doubt that we would have seen such games as well....

You mean like Kinect Sports and JoyRide for example ?

AndyD

aka andydumi
JaggedSac said:
I don't play much table tennis, but do players always keep the paddle face at the same rotation?

No. You change the shot type, spin and angle by the approach angle of your paddle. Tennis as well. You can have a different face angle based on the shot you want to make.

what's the launch night looking like? will i be able to stroll into walmart at midnight and snag a kinect or is supply supposed to be tight? do we have any idea what demand is going to be like on launch?

Amir0x

Banned
InaudibleWhispa said:
A subtle wrist twist for bowling probably wouldn't be so consistent, which is why Rare tracked it to an arm movement. It mightn't be as realistic, but it gets the job done. Kinect has the advantage of giving the player complete control of the throw though, so you can throw it over arm or even hadouken it if you want. They're going more for fun than a direct translation of the sport.

Jesus christ :lol

Top Bottom