• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect System & Game Review Thread [Update: Lots Of Reviews Post 223]

TheOddOne

Opus Angelorum said:
I think that's the right thing to do for most threads, but some of the [OT] threads have an immense number of posts. It's very time consuming to read everything.
Big |OT| I can understand, but this thread aint that big.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
GhaleonEB said:
Aye, the reviews are going to be brutal.

I don't think they will be for all games. Harmonix is a critical darling at the moment.

I think there's two halves to first-game reviews like this. The review of the games themselves and then the review of the system, and its competence/robustness/potential. It's the latter I'm more interested in since I think the former will be mostly predictable.

modulaire

I don't think the reviews will be brutal.

At least the "big" games like Kinectimals, Kinect Sports/Adventures, Your Shape and Dance Central will receive good reviews (70+x).

modulaire said:
I don't think the reviews will be brutal.

At least the "big" games like Kinectimals, Kinect Sports/Adventures, Your Shape and Dance Central will receive good reviews (70+x).

I really think that Kinectimals, Kinect Sports and Kinect Joy Ride are going to be among those games that get ripped apart.

Fortinbras said:
I really think that Kinectimals, Kinect Sports and Kinect Joy Ride are going to be among those games that get ripped apart.
I can't see Kinect Sports and Kinectimals getting "ripped apart", though they'll likely receive reviews across the spectrum, as many motion titles do (including Wii Sports). But Kinect Sports looks like one of the more solid titles, and Kinectimals will depend on whether they review it from the perspective of buying it for a child or not. They seemed to enjoy it at 1up last night, but I think reviews will likely be mixed. Joy Ride I've always thought looked the weakest out of the "big" launch titles. It's certainly not a game I'd want to pay full price for, nor play for a long period. Should still be an XBLA title.

REV 09

my metacritic guesses:

80+ Dance Central, Your Shape
70+ Kinectimals, Kinect Sports, Kinect Adventures, and maybe Joy Ride
60+ EA Sports Active 2, Sonic Riders, and maybe Fighters Uncaged
-50 Everything else

El-Suave

I don't really care for the game reviews, there are far to many reviewers that don't even try to get what some of these games are all about.

But it's really annoying that if I were an interested consumer, I'd have no clue if the device works in a room with an AV (and even furniture) setup like mine. All you'd have are the basic minimum space requirements and a little piece of additional info here and there you might have stumbled across.

Why couldn't they have separated the hardware reviews from the game reviews? Or don't have hardware reviews but educate the consumer a little bit better about the product in real living surroundings.

If I were interested in Kinect it'd be a total blind buy for me in regard to the rather important question of if it works at all in my room.

El-Suave said:
Why couldn't they have seperated the hardware reviews from the game reviews? Or don't have hardware reviews but educate the consumer a little bit better about the product in real living surroundings.

That sounds like responsible journalism.

Shurs

El-Suave said:
Why couldn't they have seperated the hardware reviews from the game reviews? Or don't have hardware reviews but educate the consumer a little bit better about the product in real living surroundings.

I'm sure you will see some separate hardware/software reviews.

derFeef said:
So why did they put up demo stations around the world and had the tour where everyone can play it and talk about it?

Where? I've been looking for one and I've seen empty stations at Best Buys all over Florida, DC and VA. I even talked to one rep in VA and he said they had one for a day or two but it was a very early prototype and not the latest model so they had to take it down because too many people were having trouble with the device and since it was an early Kinect model, MS decided to take it down and (eventually) replace it with a new model, he didn't know when the new model would be coming in. This was this past weekend. I also looked around Macy's and Gamestops and nada.

I really wanna try out the device, I tried out Move and the first time I really didn't like it, but it grew on me after trying it out a couple of more times, I want to know how Kinect compares.

Dunlop

shinnn said:
you can watch now in their ustream channel

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/1up-game-night

damn firewalls at work.

On the plus side I was at the Zellers near my work and asking about when they opened so I could pickup a Kinect...and she offered to hold it for me and to come in when I feel like that day.

I guess spending stupid amounts of money on gaming crap at that Zellers has it's privilages :p

Gowans

Looking forward to the US reviews, not out in the UK till the 10th and still waiting to preorder (I better do it soon if I want one it looks like).

Anyway I'll try and update the OP tomorrow as I will be zzzZZZs and work.
Look forward to seeing the scores.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
over here dudes

Gamepro Kinect impressions

posted in the other thread but this is Gamepro's Kinect impressions

EDITOR'S NOTE: This is not a formal review of the Kinect; rather, it is the editors' reactions to the hardware and launch titles based on casual use. We have a reviewer currently working on the official review and expect to have it posted next week, so please check back then. You can also find our review for Dance Central here.

ign scores:

kinect adventures 6.5
dance central 8.0
kinectimals 7.0
joy ride 6.0
kinect sports 8.0
kinect hardware 7.5

Game informer scores:

joy ride 7
kinect adventures 7.5
dance central 8.0
kinect sports 8.0
sonic 5.5

Gametrailers:
Kinect Adventures 6.6
Kinect Sports 6.4
Kinectimals 8.5

Joystiq:
Kinect Sports 4/5
Joy Ride 2.5/5
Dance Central 4/5
Your Shape Fitness Evolved 3/5
Kinectimals 4/5

Eurogamer:
Dance Central 8
Kinect Sports 7
Kinect Adventures 6
Kinect Joy Ride 5
Kinectimals 7

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
CVG Kinect revew

the number they gave it is 8.8

U9zHn.png

Kinect Sports
However, once you throw into the mix Beach Volleyball and a host of mini-games, Kinect Sports works out at a surprisingly bulky package for a Kinect party game.

The fact it comprehensively knackered me out for three days running is testament to just how fun and replayable an experience it provides - and there are plenty of nice touches for newbies, like badges as XP and avatar extras to unlock.

Kinect Adventures
Credit is due for creating a title that shows off Kinect's ability to respond under pressure, but there is a noticeable paucity of content - thinly spread.

Throw in some annoyingly strong-armed cheerfulness, and these mini-games just aren't enough to seduce those in ownership of a reasonable attention span - or a very British sense of diffidence

Joy Ride
Any real potential Joy Ride has, though, is dampened by that frankly ridiculous control system. You never get used to not holding a wheel, making it hard to avoid overlapping your wrists - and confusing your vehicle - during pressurised corner taking.

The fact you have to stand up throughout is a joke; not least because your feet, knees and thighs have absolutely no role to play in proceedings - and yet any attempt to play sitting down will send the send the menu screen into frenzy.

Ars Technica
The Good
The hardware is easy to set up, with good instructions
The games are simple to jump in and play
Using your hand as a cursor can be fun
The games make you move, and tend to be a good workout
Voice commands are useful in some circumstances
The camera can adjust itself to put you in frame
Games still work in low light conditions
It knows who is playing, and uses that account
The effect is uncanny when everything works right

The Bad
The menu system takes much longer than just using buttons
The hardware sometimes has issues hearing you or seeing your movement
The games are very similar
Without buttons, you lose control in certain parts of certain games
It starts at $150, which feels expensive
There is lag. It's not terrible, but it's there
The Kinect Hub doesn't do everything, or even most things

The Ugly
Too many games used the "take pictures during gameplay" gimmick. We get it—playing games on the Kinect makes us look stupid. It almost feels like you're playing a game so the 360 can laugh at you

Verdict: Skip... for now
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/reviews/2010/11/buy-a-house-clean-your-floor-move-your-butt-ars-reviews-kinect.ars

Reviews!

IGN:
Kinect Sports 8.0
Dance Central 8.0
Kinect 7.5
Sonic Free Riders 7.5
Kinectimals 7.0
Kinect Adventures 6.5
Joy Ride 6.0
Adrenaline Misfits 5.0

GameInformer:
Dance Central 8.75
Kinect 8.0
Kinect Sports 8.0
Kinectimals 8.0
The Biggest Loser: Ultimate Workout 8.0
Kinect Adventures 7.5
Kinect Joy Ride 7.0
Sonic Free Riders 5.75
Fighters Uncaged 4.5

GameTrailers:
Kinectimals 8.5
Kinect Adventures 6.6
Kinect Sports 6.4

Joystiq:
Kinect Sports 4/5
Kinectimals 4/5
Dance Central 4/5
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 3/5
Kinect Joy Ride 2.5/5
Sonic Free Riders 1/5

1UP:
Dance Central A-
Kinect Adventures B

Eurogamer:
Dance Central 8
Kinectimals 7
Kinect Sports 7
Kinect Adventures 6
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 6
Kinect Joy Ride 5
Fighters Uncaged 2
Kinect

CVG:
Kinect 8.8
Kinect Sports 7.9
Kinect Adventures 6.3
Kinect Joy Ride 5.3

Videogamer.com:
Dance Central 8
Kinect Sports 7
Kinect Adventures 6
Kinect Joy Ride 6

Destructoid:
Dance Central 8
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 8
Kinect Sports 6.5
Kinect Adventures 6
Kinect

OXM US:
Dance Central 9.0
DanceMasters 8.5
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 8.5
Kinectimals 8.0
Kinect Sports 7.5
Sonic Free Riders 7.5
Kinect Adventures 7.0
Fighters Uncaged 6.0
The Biggest Loser: Ultimate Workout 6.0
Adrenaline Misfits 5.0
Kinect Joy Ride 4.0
MotionSports 3.5

GameSpot:
Kinectimals 7.5
Kinect Sports 7.5

GamePro:
Dance Central 4.5/5

NowGamer:
Dance Central 8.4
Kinectimals 8.1
Kinect Adventures 7.0
Kinect Joy Ride 7.0
Kinect Sports 6.4
Fighters Uncaged 6.4

Kotaku:
Kinect Adventures
Dance Central
Kinectimals
Kinect Sports
Kinect
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved

Dance Central, Kinectimals and Kinect Sports seem to be the best of the bunch.

ShogunX

Honestly quite surprised at how solid these Kinect games (apart from Joy Ride) have turned out. The fact that these games are more for the casual market yet are still reviewing fairly well from the gaming press is something I never really expected.

So much has been made about the potential problems people could run into with Kinect but quite honestly its at this moment looking like a solid product that could quickly turn into a must have item for families with kids.

Might look into picking one up after Christmas sometime depending on how things play out.

seady

Shogun PaiN said:
Honestly quite surprised at how solid these Kinect games (apart from Joy Ride) have turned out. The fact that these games are more for the casual market yet are still reviewing fairly well from the gaming press is something I never really expected.

So much has been made about the potential problems people could run into with Kinect but quite honestly its at this moment looking like a solid product that could quickly turn into a must have item for families with kids.

Might look into picking one up after Christmas sometime depending on how things play out.

With so much marketings and promises, just like most games for all system launch, the media will not go too harsh on it.

REV 09

this thread is surprisingly dead. Anyways, for casual games, the reviews are far from brutal. MS should be happy with them...(queue the unavoidable, "they got their monies worth" comments).

I wish there were more reviews for Your Shape Fitness though.

ShogunX

REV 09 said:
this thread is surprisingly dead. Anyways, for casual games, the reviews are far from brutal. MS should be happy with them...(queue the unavoidable, "they got their monies worth" comments).

I wish there were more reviews for Your Shape Fitness though.

Would see more activity if the reviews for the game and product turned out to be shit like everyone expected.

If only the lineup announced at TGS was the launch lineup. It's interesting how almost all the games worth looking forward to are made in Japan.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I am trying to decide between Ubisoft's exercise game and EA's. Anyone have any input? I have watched previews for both and they both have ups and downs.

expy

Banned
Deadly Cyclone said:
I am trying to decide between Ubisoft's exercise game and EA's. Anyone have any input? I have watched previews for both and they both have ups and downs.
EA's isn't out.

The reviews are actually a lot more positive than I had expected, particularly for Kinect Sports and Kinectimals.

Not bad at all.

REV 09

Shogun PaiN said:
Would see more activity if the reviews for the game and product turned out to be shit like everyone expected.
there are plenty of negative quotes to mine out of the stuff that i've been reading, but the overall impression of the device, and the overall scores of Dance Central, Kinect Sports, and Kinectimals (Your Shape TBD) have been positive.

TheOddOne

REV 09 said:
there are plenty of negative quotes to mine out of the stuff that i've been reading, but the overall impression of the device, and the overall scores of Dance Central, Kinect Sports, and Kinectimals (Your Shape TBD) have been positive.
There are shit games in any lineup, but seeing a big part of the games getting good reviews might be suprising to some.

Speevy

Banned
So these seem more like typical launch scores for a platform made in the last 5 years.

As a matter of fact these may be better than the scores and impressions the DS launched with.

I'd love to at least try the Kinect, but my bed is cutting off its view of my lower body, and there's no room to get around.

seady

Speevy said:
So these seem more like typical launch scores for a platform made in the last 5 years.

As a matter of fact these may be better than the scores and impressions the DS launched with.

I'd love to at least try the Kinect, but my bed is cutting off its view of my lower body, and there's no room to get around.

The DS was the mother of casual gaming, people were full of doubt with its launch games back in 2004. Remember Feel the Magic XY/XX and Sprung? People were like "WTF??" back in the days. Now? These games are everywhere.

Top Bottom