• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect System & Game Review Thread [Update: Lots Of Reviews Post 223]

Speevy

Banned
seady said:
The DS was the mother of casual gaming, people were full of doubt with its launch games back in 2004. Remember Feel the Magic XY/XX and Sprung? People were like "WTF??" back in the days. Now? These games are everywhere.

I know, that's what I'm saying. The launch scores were positively abysmal. I remember IGN saying something like "Nintendo needed to release this system next year."

That was when there was a genuine fear that the PSP was going to come in and bury Nintendo beneath the ground.

surly

Banned
Outside of Joy Ride, the scores for the games seem anywhere from good to really good, especially for launch titles. None of the games interest me enough to buy Kinect though, but maybe next year when some more games come out.

Apollo

Banned
something I don't understand. If kinect is for casuals then why doesn't it have the price tag? $299 for the system with Kinect and $149 for the standalone seems like a lot of money for a casual to throw around.

Ashes

Banned
Glowing review of Kinnect in the Ny Times:

"Over all the Kinect experience is so captivating that I found myself looking at my other electronics with scorn. I don’t want to have to remember channel numbers. Why can’t I just say, “DirecTV, CNN” or “DirecTV, Fox,” and have that work? Why can’t I just say, “Stereo, radio,” or “Stereo, iPod”?

I suspect that one day you will. But with Kinect on Xbox 360, one day is now."

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Ashes1396 said:
Glowing review of Kinnect in the Ny Times:

"Over all the Kinect experience is so captivating that I found myself looking at my other electronics with scorn. I don’t want to have to remember channel numbers. Why can’t I just say, “DirecTV, CNN” or “DirecTV, Fox,” and have that work? Why can’t I just say, “Stereo, radio,” or “Stereo, iPod”?

I suspect that one day you will. But with Kinect on Xbox 360, one day is now."
Shouldn't it be possible to implement voice command on the 360 without Kinect? MS has had this tech in their mobile OS for awhile, and the XBox 360 has more horsepower than the average smartphone.

Gowans

Thanks GarthVader I'll update the op on my morning break in a couple of hours.

Looking at who got review units I'm really surprised GiantBomb got nothing.

Anyway look forward to reading the text later

gerg

Just Dance's reviews are unsurprising - it appears to be a great "gamer's" game, but lacking in multiplayer modes (especially when compared to Just Dance 2), which may very well limit its sales potential.

In general, the quality of the line-up looks pretty good.

Edit: Kinect Sports, Kinect Adventures and Kinectimals seem to be much greater flagship titles, imo.

Rad-

Surprised to see Kinect Sports score so highly. It's gonna be the main moneymaker software for MS. Rare finally making MS some sweet profit. :lol
:|

Otherwise pretty much what I expected. JoyRide seems to be the worst of the first party Kinect games, well it was going to be a free game. :lol Knew it couldn't be all that great. Dance Central reviewing the best, again no surprises there.

Seattle Times positive review for Kinect.

I don't think this guy is a gamer but if this is how Joe Blow thinks about the thing then they will have a hit.
"Kinect controls work well enough that you can get frustrated when you're required to return to the standard Xbox controller to do something like change a setting."

Mainstream media is substantially worse than gaming media when it comes to reviewing video games and peripherals. I'd take what they say with a grain of salt. Most of them probably don't realize you can do voice commands on their cell phone.

verbum

Amazon user reviews are running at 4 stars for the sensor ( only 11 reviews so far). Looking at various reviews around the web, gamecentric reviewers are medium and non-gamecentric reviews are above medium. Seems like the original Wii reviews if my memory is correct.

Razgreez

I'm reading that Joy ride is barely controllable but the lowest score for it i'm seeing is 5. Lowest allowable score perhaps? Fair question no

marathonfool said:
Mainstream media is substantially worse than gaming media when it comes to reviewing video games and peripherals. I'd take what they say with a grain of salt. Most of them probably don't realize you can do voice commands on their cell phone.

And yet there reviews will be seen millions times more than hardcore gamer website reviews. And slap bang on the mainstream market ms is aiming at with kinect.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So far I'm pleasantly surprised by the Kinect Sports reviews, but slightly surprised that Dance Central isn't reviewing better. I thought it would be a '9' game.

Not wholly surprised about Joy Ride, when I played it it was a mess control-wise. I'm actually surprised it's not scoring significantly lower if the controls are in fact as frustrating as I experienced and that wasn't just a setup thing.

The general temperament of the hardware sounds about as I figured and feared though.

gofreak said:
So far I'm pleasantly surprised by the Kinect Sports reviews, but slightly surprised that Dance Central isn't reviewing better. I thought it would be a '9' game.

Maybe it's the lack of content. The game only features 32 songs.

szaromir

Banned
gofreak said:

Not wholly surprised about Joy Ride, when I played it it was a mess control-wise. I'm actually surprised it's not scoring significantly lower if the controls are in fact as frustrating as I experienced and that wasn't just a setup thing.

The general temperament of the hardware sounds about as I figured and feared though.
Well, we learned at E3 what's the thing and the games are like.
As far as review scores go, I don't think they're too important. I knew I wouldn't want to play Adventures or Sports the moment I saw them, Dance Central still seems intriguing, I kinda expected it not to match Rock Band 3 in featureset yet and that's where '8' scores come from.

Maybe it's the lack of content. The game only features 32 songs.
That's plenty if you think that each has 3 different routines (difficulty levels) which require much more work than GH/RB songs.

szaromir said:
As far as review scores go, I don't think they're too important. I knew I wouldn't want to play Adventures or Sports the moment I saw them, Dance Central still seems intriguing, I kinda expected it not to match Rock Band 3 in featureset yet and that's where '8' scores come from.

That's plenty if you think that each has 3 different routines (difficulty levels) which require much more work than GH/RB songs.

SO much more work, holy crud.

*sore*

Apollo said:
something I don't understand. If kinect is for casuals then why doesn't it have the price tag? $299 for the system with Kinect and $149 for the standalone seems like a lot of money for a casual to throw around.

$100 for a 20 GB HDD
$179 for a 120 GB HDD
$100 for a wifi connector

Hopefully you understand what I'm trying to get across.

conman

Space issues sound like they could be the silent killer. Most reviews are suggesting that it needs anywhere from 6-9ft of space between the camera and the player/s. Judging by the size of my own living room, that's not a $150 gamble I'm willing to take.

Massa

Apollo said:

It's practically nothing compared to other gadgets people buy these days, like the iPhone 4.

LCfiner

Massa said:
It's practically nothing compared to other gadgets people buy these days, like the iPhone 4.

iPad is probably a better example since it isn't a subsidized device. it's a pretty expensive gadget yet still sells a ton each month.

Anyway, I agree with you. Originally, i felt Kinect needed to be around 80 to 100 bucks to move units but now I'm thinking that's less important.

if the idea that MS is selling catches on, they'll sell lots of the 300 dollar bundles and quite a few of the 150 dollar upgrades to existing 360 owners. 50 bucks probably wouldn't tip the scales for enough people for MS to give up that revenue per unit

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
szaromir said:

Well, not really. It came out in a certain state at E3. That obviously raised questions about where it would be at launch, with the expectation of change in the intervening period. We didn't know what it would be like now at launch.

Here and now it seems to have shed some issues, gained one big one (at least it's for the first time it is so apparent), and a number of others remain and it's not clear if they'll ever disappear. It seems undercooked, and it's only now we can say that 'for sure'.

szaromir

Banned
gofreak said:
Well, not really. It came out in a certain state at E3. That obviously raised questions about where it would be at launch, with the expectation of change in the intervening period. We didn't know what it would be like now at launch.

Here and now it seems to have shed some issues, gained one big one (at least it's for the first time it is so apparent), and a number of others remain and it's not clear if they'll ever disappear. It seems undercooked, and it's only now we can say that 'for sure'.
What's the new big issue?

zoukka

Belfast said:
Yeah, it's about as exciting as the Republicans taking over Congress.

Do you remember when Wii destroyed hardcore gaming?
Do you remember how many GAF members swore to quit gaming if motion controls would spread to their HARDCORE platforms?

Do you see anyone missing? No. They are playing Move and soon Kinect.

szaromir

Banned
gofreak said:
It's not that it's new per se, just a lot more apparent now - the issue of space.
They gave away the sensors field of vision at E3 (or soonafter). Did you expect trigonometry not to apply to Kinect?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
szaromir said:
They gave away the sensors field of vision at E3 (or soonafter). Did you expect trigonometry not to apply to Kinect?

Err...no. But it wasn't a common talking point at E3. Now that people are taking it home, and taking it in for review, we're getting to see how it 'fits' into different space setups and what 6 feet really means vs what's actually practical etc. It's now a much more apparent, common talking point.

I'm not sure why you're on the attack on this point. Quite obviously saying 'we knew what Kinect was like at E3' isn't true. If we did, what's the point of reviews? We knew what it was like then, we didn't know what it would be like at launch. That was still a matter of speculation, now we know. Space is just an example of something that's come to the fore since E3, and that's now being hammered home so to speak.

There is something very strange, with the scores. There is no variaty of them. It's like all the pages has exactly the same opinion of the games.

Kinectimals has a difference of 1'5 points between the higher and lower score (meanwhile, Eyepet scores goes from 9 to 3), JoyRide has a difference of 2 points between the higher and the lower, Kinect Sports has a difference of 1'5 points between the higher and the lower score (Sport Champion has scores from 9 to 5, or Wii Sports Resort has scores from 10 to 6).

It's like no one wants to give a very good score or a very bad score about the launch games...

szaromir

Banned
gofreak said:
I'm not sure why you're on the attack on this point.
I'm not "on the attack". The moment the specs were revealed, it was obvious it would require you to stand 2 metres away from the device to see (providing you're a grown up). Obviously for multiplayer purposes you need even more space for 2 people waving around their limbs. I always assumed everyone was aware of space requirements.

Amir0x

Banned
YahooGames said:
Weaknesses:
While Kinect is a very cool technology, there has been a very noticeable lag with the system every time we’ve used it. For many games that won’t be an issue, but on fast-paced titles, it’s going to be hard to miss. Also, if you live in a cramped house or apartment, you could also be in trouble, as the device requires six to eight feet between users and the TV. At the very least, you’re going to have to clean up, so the camera isn’t obstructed. And you’ll need a lot of light in the room as well.

IGN said:
The sensor can accurately determine factors like 3D positioning, orientation, and speed, but processing latency can cause the on-screen representation to be delayed. Of course, software implementation is an integral part of how effective a peripheral can be, and some games seem to fare better than others, but there is definitely a basic level of input lag between the sensor and the console.

Destructoid said:
It’s going to come up, so I might as well address it. Everyone wants to know how much lag there is between your gestures and what happens on the screen. We’ve seen the videos where the lag is obviously perceivable, and we’ve even had folks pulling out calculators and counting frames.

Here’s the thing: I won’t lie and say there isn’t discernable lag. There is. It’s definitely there, and it’s mostly noticeable when moving a cursor around a screen, giving it a “floaty feel.”

Guess it doesn't matter to the casual audience, though!

Hanmik

DangerousDave said:
There is something very strange, with the scores. There is no variaty of them. It's like all the pages has exactly the same opinion of the games.

Kinectimals has a difference of 1'5 points between the higher and lower score (meanwhile, Eyepet scores goes from 9 to 3), JoyRide has a difference of 2 points between the higher and the lower, Kinect Sports has a difference of 1'5 points between the higher and the lower score (Sport Champion has scores from 9 to 5, or Wii Sports Resort has scores from 10 to 6).

It's like no one wants to give a very good score or a very bad score about the launch games...

with this kind of statement.. you are living up to your name Dangerous... :D

DangerousDave said:

Or the interface performance is more consistent and the games are better-fleshed out and fun than expected. This is only the first day of reviews...I'm sure there will be a lot more variance in the next week or so when there are more reviews published. You're way too quick to judge on score range if you are looking to compare Kinect to nearly two months' worth PS Move scores.

LCfiner

As a counterpoint regarding lag.

One of the Ars Technica guys (Peter Bright) wrote this in the comments for their review and it caught my eye when i read it earlier (overall he was quite down with the system)

I have to say, lag wasn't a big deal for me. Sure, there was some lag, but I never felt "omg I would have pulled that move off if only the damn thing wasn't so laggy RAGE RAGE". The connection between me and the avatar on-screen always felt solid. I think Kinect has a lot of flaws, but lag isn't, to my mind, one of them. You just kind of get into the flow of the game and it works OK.

I dunno. I guess one would need to get a sense of the lag for themselves to see how much it bugs them individually. I suspect that if some developer tries some ambitious action game for the system that it could be a trainwreck but so far the reviews - even from gaming enthusiast sites - haven't pointed out lag as being a deal breaker with the launch games.

Amir0x

Banned
LCfiner said:
As a counterpoint regarding lag.

One of the Ars Technica guys (Peter Bright) wrote this in the comments for their review and it caught my eye when i read it earlier (overall he was quite down with the system)

I dunno. I guess one would need to get a sense of the lag for themselves to see how much it bugs them individually. I suspect that if some developer tries some ambitious action game for the system, that it could be a trainwreck but so far the reviews - even from gaming enthusiast sites - haven't pointed out lag as being a deal breaker with the launch games.

He still says there is lag. Just it didn't bother him and he wouldn't let it bother him.

For the more critical minded, that's not a choice.

Hanmik

source: http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_16516497?nclick_check=1

Yet Kinect often feels like a half-baked beta product. There are loads of issues that Microsoft and its partners need to work through.

For now, just about every Xbox game will either require Kinect or will be incompatible with it; there's almost nothing in between. And even the games that are designed for use with Kinect don't take full advantage of it.

Ubisoft's "Your Shape: Fitness Evolved" is a good example. Unlike the fitness games designed for the Wii or the PlayStation 3, you don't have to use any kind of controller or platform; you just stand in front of the screen and mimic the movements of your virtual trainer. That works well, but there were many points at which I wished the game tapped into Kinect's voice-recognition abilities. Instead of being able to tell the system my weight or that I'm a male, I had to try to touch tiny, on-screen buttons by waving my hand in the air. I almost wished I could just use a physical controller.

But it's not only the games that don't fully embrace Kinect. The Xbox system as a whole supports it only halfheartedly.

You can't use Kinect to navigate the Xbox's main screen. Instead, Microsoft has created a special Kinect area with only a handful of applications and options. Many popular features or settings are unavailable. If you want to access the Xbox Live marketplace, watch a movie on Netflix or log into Facebook on the Xbox 360, you need to grab your controller.

Even in the Kinect hub, the use of Kinect features is inconsistent. You can use your voice to specify which videos to watch in the ESPN application, but you can't use your voice to search for a movie or find a song in the Zune application. Instead, you have to wave at the screen. If your couch or seat isn't positioned directly in front of the Kinect sensor, you have to constantly stand up to interact with it, even if you just want to watch a movie.

In testing Kinect applications and games, I often found myself bouncing back and forth between using gestures, my voice or even the traditional controller, not because I wanted to, but because certain screens would demand that I interact with them in particular ways. The result was that the interface was a frustrating mess.

Kinect is brand-new, so it's not surprising that Microsoft and its partners are still trying to figure out how to best use it. I hope they do that soon, because it would be a shame to let Kinect's potential go to waste.

Just for some variety..

Top Bottom