• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another GOTY Thread - Level Edition

Bento

Received the latest issue of the Swedish gaming magazine Level (I believe it's the best selling one) and thought I'd share their Best Of List. There's quite a lot of categories in the magazine so I'll be trimming it down some and I should point out that they only provide text for the number one spot (and I'll be skipping some of them). Also take their writing with a grain of salt since I'm surely to misrepresent some of what they're saying due to my shitty translation skills. But hopefully you'll get the gist of it.

Best newcomer:

5.) Vanquish
4.) Demon's Soul (Remember that this is a European magazine)
3.) Enslaved
2.) Heavy Rain
1.) Bayonetta

Hideki Kamiya abandoned Capcom but did not leave his heritage behind. Along with Platinum Games he brought Devil May Crys arcade spirit, cranked it up and founded the genre non-stop climax action. We are already looking forward to more.

Best sequel:

5.) Mass Effect 2
4.) Red Dead Redemption
3.) Super Mario Galaxy 2
2.) Starcraft 2
1.) Halo : Reach

It would have been easy for Bungie to settle with some new good levels and then be on their way. Instead we got a redesigned multiplayer, a new graphics engine, third person sequences, jetpacks, arcade like space battles and environments like nothing seen before in the series - and hundreds of small passes back to the series pasts. That's how you make a sequel.

Best Graphics:

5.) Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
4.) Red Dead Redemption
3.) Super Mario Galaxy 2
2.) Final Fantasy XIII
1.) Gran Turismo 5

At a press conference Kazunori Yamauchi showed pictures of real cars alongside ingame models and asked the audience to point out the original. We failed. With almost half a million polygons for each car model (the first one had 300) Gran Turismo 5 is the most photo realistic game to date. In a game that tries to simulate reality that is a crucial attribute.

Heroes of the Year:

5.) Per Strömback (Some dude in Sweden :p)
4.) Super Meat Boy
3.) Suda 51
2.) York (Deadly Premonition)
1.) Noble Team

Villains of the Year:
5.) Tiger Woods (?)
4.) Team Ninja
3.) Kratos
2.) Bobby Kotick
1.) The Origami Killer

Best Innovation:
5.) Heavy Rain
4.) Gran Turismo 5
3.) Move
2.) Kinect
1.) Rock Band 3

Best Multiplayer:

5.) NHL 11
4.) Lara Craft and the Guardian of Light
3.) Call of Duty : Black Ops
2.) Halo : Reach
1.) Starcraft II

It's when the campaign ends that Starcraft II really starts going. Pro-gamers and amateurs, solo players or 4 player teams, Terran, Protoss and Zerg - there's something for everyone here. The battles on Battle.net is nothing short of a digital drug.

Good despite being Swedish (It comes off as much harsher in English :p) :

5.) The Fight
4.) Above
3.) Just Cause 2
2.) Amnesia : The Dark Descent
1.) Battlefield : Bad Company 2

Best Indie Game:

5.) Battle Kid
4.) Amnesia
3.) Super Meat Boy
2.) VVVVVV
1.) Limbo

DLC of the Year:

5.) The Lair of the Shadow Broker (Mass Effect 2)
4.) Minerva's Den (Bioshock 2)
3.) Case Zero (Dead Rising 2)
2.) Undead Nightmare (Red Dead Redemption)
1.) The Write (Alan Wake)

Best Portable Game:

5.) Cut the Rope (Iphone)
4.) Dodonpachi Resurrection (Iphone)
3.) God of War: Ghost of Sparta
2.) Metal Gear Solid : Peace Walker
1.) Might & Magic : Clash of Heroes

A perfect blend of strategy and puzzle.. Might & Magic : Clash of Heroes takes the troops from Heroes of Might & Magic and blends it with the simple, color matching based puzzling of a game like Puyo Puyo. The result is as simple as it is addicting.

Game of the Year:

5.) Ensalved
4.) Rock Band 3
3.) Bayonetta
2.) Starcraft II
1.) Super Mario Galaxy 2

When Super Mario Galaxy was release it seemed like the definite 3D plattformer. When you play the sequel it you understand it was only the beginning. Nintendo has filled its game with more brilliant ideas then the most developers can come up with during an entire lifespan. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a 242 star long smile.
---------------------------------------

I'll sum up my opinions:

- No Civilization 5 makes me :'(

- No PSP or DS RPG makes me :'( Happy to see Capybara and Cave represented though!

- Kinect/Move as top innovations makes me :'(

- Enslaved and Rock Band 3 in Top 5 makes me :'(

- Weird that Halo: Reach became the best sequel of the year ahead of Galaxy 2 but didn't even show up on the GOTY.

vocab

Bento said:
- Kinect/Move as top innovations makes me :'(

powerglovex.jpg

VGChampion said:
What's being a European magazine have to do with Demon Souls?

DS is an 2009 game just about everywhere else.

He probably wanted to stop the "bububu that's not a 2010 game" posts before they started.

Bento said:
Good despite being Swedish (It comes off as much harsher in English :p) :

5.) The Fight
4.) Above
3.) Just Cause 2
2.) Amnesia : The Dark Descent
1.) Battlefield : Bad Company 2
What.

Is this like a national self-depreciation or something? They have low expectations of themselves?

adamma666

Bento said:
Best sequel:
5.) Mass Effect 2
4.) Red Dead Redemption
3.) Super Mario Galaxy 2
2.) Starcraft 2
1.) Halo : Reach

Game of the Year:

5.) Ensalved
4.) Rock Band 3
3.) Bayonetta
2.) Starcraft II
1.) Super Mario Galaxy 2

so if Reach is a better sequel than Galaxy 2 and Starcraft 2 that doesn't make it a better game? i don't get it.

Dr.Hadji

Galaxy 2 in top 5 for graphics is the most surprising. Though I agree. Galaxy is currently my favorite looking 3d game ever.

zlatko

Banned
Any place that gives Starcraft 2 props is fine with me, the rest doesn't matter. I am surprised at the lack of Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker love. That game is mind blowing, handheld or not.

LiK

I like their lists. Altho Halo Reach is technically a Prequel and RDR isn't really a sequel to Revolver. AC Bro should be there.

adamma666 said:
so if Reach is a better sequel than Galaxy 2 and Starcraft 2 that doesn't make it a better game? i don't get it.

Perhaps they rate "best sequels" based off of how much it improved over its predecessor(as opposed to general quality)? *shrug*

GeoramA said:
No noms for GoWIII?

Not even best graphics :lol

Kratos was in the best villains category.

Edit: I just noticed Tiger Woods. :lol

Enslaveds place in the GOTY list is probably a result of Level's editor Thomas Wiborgh favoring it. He is known for thinking graphics > gameplay. Enslaved was in his personal GOTY list along with Mafia 2, Alan Wake and another game.

MYE

Bento said:
game like Puyo Puyo. The result is as simple as it is addicting.

Game of the Year:

1.) Super Mario Galaxy 2

When Super Mario Galaxy was release it seemed like the definite 3D plattformer. When you play the sequel it you understand it was only the beginning. Nintendo has filled its game with more brilliant ideas then the most developers can come up with during an entire lifespan. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a 242 star long smile.
---------------------------------------

Ahh, all is well in the world.
Good show, Sweden

StuBurns

Banned
CecilRousso said:
Enslaveds place in the GOTY list is probably a result of Level's editor Thomas Wiborgh favoring it. He is known for thinking graphics > gameplay. Enslaved was in his personal GOTY list along with Mafia 2, Alan Wake and another game.
It really isn't a good looking game though. Nor are the other two really.

Bento

Kurtofan said:
Where the fuck is New Vegas?
GOTD
It got nominated in two categories I didn't add, Best Weapon and Best Landscape :p I'm surprised that it didn't even get a nomination for Best Script (Enslave won that one).

StuBurns said:
It really isn't a good looking game though. Nor are the other two really.

Well, I know he thinks they are, and I would also say that those games have very good graphics and art direction.

Fredescu

Bento said:
Best Portable Game:

5.) Cut the Rope (Iphone)
4.) Dodonpachi Resurrection (Iphone)
3.) God of War: Ghost of Sparta
2.) Metal Gear Solid : Peace Walker
1.) Might & Magic : Clash of Heroes

A perfect blend of strategy and puzzle.. Might & Magic : Clash of Heroes takes the troops from Heroes of Might & Magic and blends it with the simple, color matching based puzzling of a game like Puyo Puyo. The result is as simple as it is addicting.
Hell yeah.

Durante

Bento said:
I'm surprised that it didn't even get a nomination for Best Script (Enslave won that one).
Now, I can't complain too much since the only things about Enslaved that I know come from the Zero Punctuation review, but really?

Lard

Banned
SMT Strange Journey is GOTY, so every copy of this publication should be burned for not including it.

Dever

Banned
Whoa, they really liked Enslaved. I don't expect to see it on many other Top 5 GOTY lists. Seems like a fine game though.

mclem

adamma666 said:

I *think* the 'sequel' category was specifically "How much of an improvement over its predecessor was it?". Although then I can't help but think that Just Cause 2 should be a very viable candidate. And then I'd suggest that Red Dead Redemption should probably top the list.

Holy crap -- if anyone here has that magazine in their hands, could you please DM me?

I'm super proud to see my little studios game get a nod for Portable Game of the Year, and would love to see the article.

JADS

Cromulent_Word said:
Holy crap -- if anyone here has that magazine in their hands, could you please DM me?

I'm super proud to see my little studios game get a nod for Portable Game of the Year, and would love to see the article.

Well deserved, great to see your little gem get some recognition :D

Top Bottom