• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Subversion first gameplay video (by Introversion!)

Not sure how many people here have been following Introversion and the work they've been doing on Subversion, but the first actual gameplay footage I've seen is now available thanks to the World of Love conference! There's been dev footage and such shown on their blog, but this is the first actual gameplay footage that I have seen.

In the video Chris Delay shows off a bank heist, which is just one small part of the game. Eventually, you will be in an entire city, procedurally generated to the point where every floor of a skyscraper will be able to be visited (videos of that are already on their blog, because the procedural city generation was the first thing they worked on).

This is probably my most anticipated indie release right now. Hopefully it comes out in 2011!

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/11/30/see-subversion-at-world-of-love/

If you're curious, I highly suggest checking out their blog. It gives an extremely detailed perspective of the development process.

http://www.introversion.co.uk/subversion/

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Is this going to end up on Mac or any other thing that isn't PC?

Moobabe

Cannot wait for this - I've been keeping an eye on it for so long but there's been so little info up to this video. Looks amazing.

epmode

I've been interested in this from the first reports. VERY EXCITED.

BTW, Uplink is pretty rad, if you haven't played it.

Roofy

looks really interesting like all of their games but hopefully this one will keep my attention :lol

Munin

epmode said:
I've been interested in this from the first reports. VERY EXCITED.

BTW, Uplink is pretty rad, if you haven't played it.

Uplink is the best cyberpunk game ever made, period.

Despera said:
Can someone explain to me what is Subversion and why it's so awesome?

Started with great Hacking/Cyberpunk game Uplink. Basicly the guys are a niche/indie devs who have a talent at making very fun games.

Despera said:
Can someone explain to me what is Subversion and why it's so awesome?

Strategy/bank heist/robbery game based in a procedurally generated city. Despite its simplistic graphics, it's an incredibly ambitious game. Just watch the video...

Game looks ridiculously good btw...Already blows my mind the amount of things you can do...

Joe Shlabotnik said:
I'm rather deeply relieved that they're still in business and this is still in development, really.

Agreed. Reading their blog posts, I feel bad that such a talented indie team doesn't get more mainstream press, which causes them not to make a lot of money. :(

Basically, if it wasn't for Steam and the Introversion / Defcon sale earlier this year, they would be out of business according to their blog. They had to let people go, shut down their office and are back to being the bedroom team where they started. Hopefully Subversion gives them enough money to last for a long time (maybe even put out a Darwinia port for PSN, which should hopefully help as long as people buy it). The sooner they put up the pre-order, the sooner I can support them though! :D

I'm surprised there isn't more hype for this game TBH..

http://forums.introversion.co.uk/introversion/viewtopic.php?t=2313

"Subversion is going to be set in a modern High Tech environment, with you taking "mission control" over a team of skilled operatives in a hostile High Security building. You will be using Sabotage, Social Engineering and Grifting, custom Electrical and Mechanical devices, Distractions, Hacking, Stealth, Acrobatics, Precision demolitions, Trickery, whatever gets the job done. In the best case scenarios your enemies will never know you were even there. When things go wrong, a well prepared escape plan and well timed precision violence will get you out of a tight spot - or maybe not."

Acosta

I can't wait, great concept, great look and it really has that "made in england" game vibe. This remins me I still has to get Frozen Synapse.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Interest + 1, shut up and take my money, etc

For how minimalistic their titles are, I always loved the amount of plot and atmosphere they managed to put into them.

Those aren't placeholder graphics right? I hope they don't change it b/c I like the art style. The only thing that was kinda funny looking was the guard that was hemmorhaging from being tranq'd.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
The Friendly Monster said:
Looks a little complex at the moment, hope they can make it into a good game.
really? i mean i'm sure the blueprint art design will scare off johnny two-barrels, but i was surprised at how (for want of a a better word) intuitive and natural the ui and implementation of the inventory/skills was. i felt like i could've been handed the mouse and instantly made atleast a rudimentary effort, without need for a tutorial. not something i was expecting considering introversion's previous games.

i'm hoping that, as demonstrated, introversion continue to ensure that a pluralistic and tactical approach to the missions is always viable -- with the danger being that as the scenarios develop, becoming more complex and intricate, the player would have to essentially play as if finding the single solution to an authored puzzle.

i could feel my synapses sparking with possibilities for what introversion have laid the foundations for.

Gully State said:
Those aren't placeholder graphics right? I hope they don't change it b/c I like the art style. The only thing that was kinda funny looking was the guard that was hemmorhaging from being tranq'd.

The general style of it isn't. However, there's obviously going to be character animation and a bunch of the models and effects are almost definitely getting redone (Chris said it's just programmer art he made). The blueprint design is definitely staying though, and it's basically going to look like the video, but way better! :D

ghst said:
really? i mean i'm sure the blueprint art design will scare off johnny two-barrels, but i was surprised at how (for want of a a better word) intuitive and natural the ui and implementation of the inventory/skills was. i felt like i could've been handed the mouse and instantly made atleast a rudimentary effort, without need for a tutorial. not something i was expecting considering introversion's previous games.

i'm hoping that, as demonstrated, introversion continue to ensure that a pluralistic and tactical approach to the missions is always viable -- with the danger being that as the scenarios develop, becoming more complex and intricate, the player would have to essentially play as if finding the single solution to an authored puzzle.

i could feel my synapses sparking with possibilities for what introversion have laid the foundations for.

Nice post...from the video, the UI looks highly intuitive. I don't understand that complaint either.

Iced_Eagle said:
The general style of it isn't. However, there's obviously going to be character animation and a bunch of the models and effects are almost definitely getting redone (Chris said it's just programmer art he made). The blueprint design is definitely staying though, and it's basically going to look like the video, but way better! :D

Nice, animations for character models would definitely help...this and Dead State are two indie games on my radar right now.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Lathentar said:
Looks interesting, but way too early to have been shown.

Monaco seems to take this concept and does it better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK7RkM9LL68
better? sure, both these games share a conceptual kernel, but i don't see how they could've executed it more differently. there's a complimentary juxtaposition between them, one that i think anyone who plays both will gain something from.

it's a stark contrast to the aaa model where, regardless of how varied or unique the theme/scenario, the mechanical experience of playing the them is largely homogeneous.

"Monaco seems to take this concept and does it better."

Does it better how? I'm not seeing anything in that video that would qualify as "better." Despite the similar theme, the games seem like they're aiming to satisfy two entirely different desires with Subversion's being more cerebral.

Fuck you, ghst!

ghst said:

I mean complex in terms of mechanics, there's a hell of a lot going on there. It's going to be difficult to keep the game acting in a way that is sensible and reasonably transparent to the player, while maintaining the level of control the player is going to expect.

It's an absolutely massive challenge, and not one they have obviously succeeded in quite yet.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Teknopathetic said:
Fuck you, ghst!
i need to compensate, my snarky butthole:considered post ratio has been thrown all outta wack by the rampant sterile-gate/gt5 nutwash threads.

The Friendly Monster said:
I mean complex in terms of mechanics, there's a hell of a lot going on there. It's going to be difficult to keep the game acting in a way that is sensible and reasonably transparent to the player, while maintaining the level of control the player is going to expect.

It's an absolutely massive challenge, and not one they have obviously succeeded in quite yet.

one thing i do hope they implement is a whole analog of different states for the NPCs to react with. a "sims" like system would perhaps work best, with different emoticons for concerned, bored, lazy, nervous etc, and to have these traits play a fundamental role in each mission's structure. you could even have pre-briefing intel on certain key targets that could clue you in on their renegade/servile nature.

creating an of organic environment through NPC ai will indeed be their biggest challenge, and may prove a little too much for a small studio to chew on. should they pull it off, it would go a long way to establish the kind of freeform, pluralistic gameplay i was hoping for earlier.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Teknopathetic said:
"Monaco seems to take this concept and does it better."

Does it better how? I'm not seeing anything in that video that would qualify as "better." Despite the similar theme, the games seem like they're aiming to satisfy two entirely different desires with Subversion's being more cerebral.

Fuck you, ghst!
Yeah, you're right. I should have chosen my words more carefully.

With the scope they are going with Subversion, it will be very interesting to see how Introversion is going to be able to pull it all together. Right now all I see is a lot of ideas thrown together.

Lathentar said:
Looks interesting, but way too early to have been shown.

Monaco seems to take this concept and does it better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK7RkM9LL68

They're totally different. Subversion is going for a totally different scope of game with the procedural cities and such.

Plus, to be fair this wasn't an official gameplay video or anything, and he even said at the beginning that everything is likely to change, but he wanted to give them a peek under the covers at game development. Even at this early stage it looks awesome though.

Lathentar said:
Yeah, you're right. I should have chosen my words more carefully.

With the scope they are going with Subversion, it will be very interesting to see how Introversion is going to be able to pull it all together. Right now all I see is a lot of ideas thrown together.

Yup, and that's exactly what they said it is right now. It's in the "messy, creative state" right now. I wish this was coming out in 2011, and it might since this video is also already 5 months old, but it may end up being a 2012 title for all we know.

Is that such a sad bump? They have a new game in development that they are very enthused about, and Subversion wasn't really going anywhere, according to the blog post. I also have a feeling Frozen Synapse stole some of its thunder.

Like I posted earlier in the thread, I'm glad they are still solvent and working on something awesome.

Joe Shlabotnik said:
I also have a feeling Frozen Synapse stole some of its thunder.
Yeah, if they were thinking of keeping the current or a similar artstyle, I could see average folks just writing it off as a Frozen Synapse knockoff. Too bad, since this looked like it had an interesting concept, with the whole executing thefts in procedurally generated levels, but if they were really at a dead-end, then I guess it's for the better.

Joe Shlabotnik said:
Is that such a sad bump?
Well, you know... Subversion isn't coming out soon (or at all) and it wasn't the game we thought it was. I call this sadness inducing stuff.

Zero-Crescent said:
Too bad, since this looked like it had an interesting concept,
I would be content with somebody releasing a heist simulator*, even without the whole procedural city thing. Something like The Clue with more options and an up to date UI.

*The game on PSN seems to be a bit too action-y for my tastes.

ape2man

come on who doesn't thing Subversion is a stupid name. Hey we are using this software versioning software why not use the same name.

;) come on. anyway the rest of the game looks promising.

Top Bottom