• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Game Informer Cover - Tomb Raider Reboot [Update: Hub Page Up]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BowieZ

Banned
Update:

Larson Conway said:
Game Informer Hub now open, still awaiting info, AWESOME bg image

http://www.gameinformer.com/mag/tombraider.aspx

bg.jpg
// Mod Edit

Rating: PEGI 18+

QxmZJ.jpg

Game Informer said:
Forget what you know about Lara Croft. As of today, all that is changing.

In our world-exclusive cover story, we uncover a brand-new Lara Croft. Rebooting the Tomb Raider franchise through an origin story wasn’t so much a choice as an act of necessity, according to Crystal Dynamics. Drastic measures were needed. To build an entirely fresh Lara – a culturally relevant hero worth of the attention that once came so effortlessly – they must break her first. In this new adventure – simply titled Tomb Raider – a younger and inexperienced Lara Croft must endure both physical and emotional trauma to survive.

Make sure to check out the Tomb Raider hub throughout the month of December for more exclusive details about Lara Croft’s rebirth. The hub will launch later today.

We've got two logo treatments for the new cover. You can see one in the front cover image below, and the other in the full wraparound spread that's a little further down the page.

In addition to the ten exclusive pages of Tomb Raider details, we’ve got a full book of other compelling content. Jeff Cork takes a look at gaming on the other side off the world, diving into policy and practices in Iran. Additionally, Annette Gonzales broke a sweat by rounding up and breaking down all the current Kinect fitness offerings at retail. Also, don’t forget to check out our previews of Dead Space 2 and L.A. Noire, and our final verdict on Warren Spector’s Epic Mickey.

The January issue of Game Informer will start arriving in subscriber’s mailboxes this week, and will hit newsstands the 11th of December.
Source: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/12/06/january-cover-revealed.aspx

// End Mod Edit

LA12373-a

LA12373LOGO-b

A New Game from Crystal Dynamics

LOS ANGELES, Dec. 6, 2010 /PRNewswire/ -- Square Enix, Inc., is excited today to announce TOMB RAIDER®,
the new game from Redwood City based studio Crystal Dynamics®.

'After a brutal storm destroys the boat she was travelling on, a frightened young woman is left washed ashore
on an unknown beach. On her own but not alone she has only one goal, to survive'

Here begins the first adventure for a young and inexperienced Lara Croft in a story which charts the journey
of an ordinary woman who finds out just how far she must go in order to stay alive.

"Forget everything you knew about TOMB RAIDER," said Darrell Gallagher, Head of Studio, Crystal Dynamics.
"This is an origins story that creates Lara Croft and takes her on a character defining journey like no other."

TOMB RAIDER makes its worldwide debut in the January issue of Game Informer® magazine. The cover story
features 10 pages of exclusive content and is available beginning today for subscribers and on newsstands
December 11. Follow Game Informer on Twitter @GameInformer.

Follow TOMB RAIDER on Twitter @TombRaider. For more information on TOMB RAIDER please visit www.TombRaider.com.

Edit: Sorry Larson about the threadfight :p but them's the breaks :D...

PS. It's been a fun 15 years!

4ftn4n.png

Peff

I like the design. It's like a realistic version of Anniversary's, which I thought was the better of the CD trilogy. Now, bring it on!

'After a brutal storm destroys the boat she was travelling on, a frightened young woman is left washed ashore on an unknown beach. On her own but not alone she has only one goal, to survive'

awesome. I can totally dig that premise. Now just keep the familiar great puzzles and platfor...

"Forget everything you knew about TOMB RAIDER,"

wait, what? why? I really liked the Tomb Raider games past Legend. Underworld was really good!

hopefully it isn't unrecognizable.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Hey, that redesign makes her look 80% less like a whore and more like a woman. Now we need an appropriate boob size. If they are shooting for Uncharted, with TR quirks.... this will be a great game.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Sounds good and I like the new design. It actually looks human. Now as long as they don't forget to include some tombs I'm down with a reboot. There was no story or characters worth remembering from the old games anyway.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm not keen on the whole Warhawk/Twisted Metal/Devil may Cry/Medal of Honor etc thing of using the original name. However, I will probably end up picking this up if it is open world as the speculation has been.

Wallach

Like the redesign of Lara, but scared for the gameplay. Underworld was really cool. Not sure how ready I am for a gameplay reboot.

Edit - If this is apes Uncharted they can fuck off with it.

kever0nicas said:
She looks a tad "man-ish" on the cover. Like some kind of effeminate male anime character.
I, too, hope they add more delicate feminine features like gigantic gazombas. Where is the Lara Croft we know and love.

I personally like the new design. Never could get behind Lara's weird face! I'm excited to hear more about this. Is this that survival horror-esque Tomb Raider of legend we've heard little about?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Lara looks more... Japanese actually. :lol

I'm probably most happy about the fact that it's just called TOMB RAIDER.

Copies of the mag will be available to subscribers today. I await more info and in-game pictures!!!

TheOddOne

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I personally like the new design. Never could get behind Lara's weird face! I'm excited to hear more about this. Is this that survival horror-esque Tomb Raider of legend we've heard little about?
The backround definitly gives out the vibe of the artwork.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:

Absolutely agreed

Old Lara's hold over face from the PSX days needed to go...

AgentOtaku said:
What is this, like the 3rd reboot?

Angel of Darkness (quasi character reboot no?)
Then Legend
now this?

Legend, Anniversary, and Underworld were more 'reboots' in the sense that they refined the gameplay. I wasn't into the original Tomb Raider games, but from what I understand, it continues the story about magic and thor and whatever the fuck was happening in those games.

this seems like they're making it different

Pooya

Nirolak said:
Well, it looks like Square Enix's CG.

They even have the Parasite Eve slimy water tech going on.
That cover is not CG. It looks like all the other concept arts from CD.

Linkzg said:
Legend, Anniversary, and Underworld were more 'reboots' in the sense that they refined the gameplay. I wasn't into the original Tomb Raider games, but from what I understand, it continues the story about magic and thor and whatever the fuck was happening in those games.

this seems like they're making it different

Right but they're Crystal Dynamics' TR games

Angel of Darkness was CORE's and I believe it was pitched as a quasi reboot of sorts

Now there's this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom