• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Game Informer Cover - Tomb Raider Reboot [Update: Hub Page Up]

Status
Not open for further replies.
QxmZJ.jpg

A survival-ish tomb raider game with climbing dynamics similar to Assassin's Creed, an open world jungle environment similar to far cry and healing/feeding gameplay similar to MGS3. Oh my.

A boy can dream.

[edit] I wonder if by "forget everything" they mean Lara isn't going to be a rich girl this time.

StuBurns

Banned
FunkyPajamas said:
A survival-ish tomb raider game with climbing dynamics similar to Assassin's Creed, an open world jungle environment similar to far cry and healing/feeding gameplay similar to MGS3. Oh my.

A boy can dream.
That's pretty much exactly what I'm expecting, except piss easy of course, they can't really make people care about eating that much etc.

Model won't look like that in game, tis a bit misleading. We'll have all the noobs saying 'look at those graphics' when they pick this up and when they pop the disc in, no.

MYE

FunkyPajamas said:

Nooooo :(
No open world, sandbox shenanigans, please.

Pooya

oh, that's a bow like the other leaked concept arts, probably little to no guns in this game.
and horse riding!

MYE said:
Was expecting a horrible looking CG Lara, i am pleased.

same. I like this new look alot. if anything, I'd love for this game to attempt to be better than uncharted. Not many games have tried to go against uncharted, I think Tomb Raider actually has the potential to, if done properly.

Sad thing is, I feel like this game will be rushed as it builds more hype and squenix become more excited at the thought of selling a lot of units with its "western" IP.

Also, to those saying she looks like man or has manly features, WHAT DRUGS ARE YOU ON!?
she's pretty hot in this.

love the new direction. if the concept art is anything to go by, we are looking at the best tomb raider game to date, even better than guarding of light.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Scrow said:
tomb raider, uncharted edition? not saying that's a bad thing.
Fuck no.

diztrukted said:
same. I like this new look alot. if anything, I'd love for this game to attempt to be better than uncharted. Not many games have tried to go against uncharted, I think Tomb Raider actually has the potential to, if done properly.
As a platformer/puzzle game (what Tomb Raider actually is) it has always fucking decimated Uncharted.

Galvanise_ said:
Model won't look like that in game, tis a bit misleading. We'll have all the noobs saying 'look at those graphics' when they pick this up and when they pop the disc in, no.
The cover looks like a real person modeled and they put in the CG look later. I would be amazed if they actually completely modeled it on the computer.

StuBurns said:
That's pretty much exactly what I'm expecting, except piss easy of course, they can't really make people care about eating that much etc.
They could have multiple difficulty levels which would determine how important feeding/healing is, kind of like New Vegas hardcore. But I'm going to guess the game will have none of that and will be linear with a lot of scripted sequences (think: Uncharted). Not that I'm saying linear = bad, I just want something different this time.
MYE said:
Nooooo :(
No open world, sandbox shenanigans, please.
Don't worry, you'll get your slow-mo cinematic camera scripted linear events. They're the trademark of this generation.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I have high hopes. The recent Tomb Raider games have been underrated imo, and I'm excited to see what they come up with for this. The premise certainly sounds cool, and the new character design is awesome.

edit: Hopefully they still have some awesome environment puzzles.

Haunted

Want to see videos, screens, gameplay, anything before I form an opinion on the actual game.

About the reboot on a higher level IP discussion... I can understand why it was needed if they want to continue with the brand. Can't seriously work with a cheap big-titted bombshell protagonist anymore, this ain't the 90s! Continuing with the same direction they have for years and years would have only catered to existing fans, not made new ones.

derFeef

Scrow said:
tomb raider, uncharted edition? not saying that's a bad thing.
Uncharted is survival? To be honest I love the idea of Lara developing her skills as the game progresses, getting interested (or the need for getting to know) in archeology and so on.

LCfiner

I was really happy that I hadn't played every Tomb Raider game of the last 15 years because it allowed me to really appreciate Underworld without feeling like it was a "been there, done that" experience.

So I guess, yeah, I'm excited for a new TR game, if they keep the traversal and puzzle solving fun and fix up the combat.

and get rid of the supernatural story BS...

Hope they keep Keeley Hawes as Lara's voice and don't have any fucking spiders in this one, Underworld was a nightmare to play through with those bastards. Thanks Castlevania, so pleased they're even fucking bigger in that :(

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
LCfiner said:
I was really happy that I hadn't played every Tomb Raider game of the last 15 years because it allowed me to really appreciate Underworld without feeling like it was a "been there, done that" experience.

So I guess, yeah, I'm excited for a new TR game, if they keep the traversal and puzzle solving fun and fix up the combat.

and get rid of the supernatural story BS...
The leaked concept art had undead girl monsters.

JohngPR

AgentOtaku said:
What is this, like the 3rd reboot?

Angel of Darkness (quasi character reboot no?)
Then Legend
now this?

It was rebooted from a gameplay standpoint but never a continuity one. In fact Angel of Darkness dealt with characters from older games, like her mentor, Von Croy.

I'm sad that they've decided to reboot the series, but Tomb Raider in its current form did have a good run, and even came back to respectability IMO. Did they ever resolve lingering plot points from Underworld in the DLC packs?

Salz01

Not sure what I make of the change. I understand why they did it, (to make it more realistic). But I kind of liked my Tomb Raider being over the top. For the first reveal screen they should have focused on a more far away perspective, instead of being so up close. It just looks like a game where you beat the crap out of young girl.

BowieZ

Banned
Darkflight said:
Hope they keep Keeley Hawes as Lara's voice
you know, i'm kinda up for a new voice -- Hawes sounds too much like a mom -- and now's the time to do it.

but i doubt there'll be much need for one anyway if the synopsis and leaked concepts are true.

So a survival game with lots of environmental puzzles. I could dig that.

Why am I kidding myself? It'll probably be goon central like Uncharted.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
StuBurns said:
Got a link? I must have missed them, assuming they got a thread.

We had some leaked art.

tombraider3lgiz.jpg

tombraider2wgg5.jpg

tombraider1ggbi.jpg

Tomb Raider this gen has been quite enjoyable. If this turns out to be like the leaks/rumors suggest I'll be on board at launch day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom