• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Game Informer Cover - Tomb Raider Reboot [Update: Hub Page Up]

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuBurns

Banned
EatChildren said:
We had some leaked art.

tombraider1ggbi.jpg
This is surprising to me, I don't like the art, but it could be an interesting direction for sure.

MYE

FunkyPajamas said:
Don't worry, you'll get your slow-mo cinematic camera scripted linear events. They're the trademark of this generation.

There are plenty of focused/linear experiences that dont fall into the "trigger the next scripted explosion" crap we see everywhere today.

I dont own Guardian of Light but thats one HUGE step in the right direction IMO.
In fact, i think i'm gonna buy that game today :)

Skilletor

I want to punch everybody who says Tomb Raider should be more like Uncharted.

Keep your shooting game with some shitty exploration/platforming elements away from my exploration and platforming game with shitty shooting elements.

My Favorite Franchise side by side with the Final Fantasy.... They did such a great Job with Anniversary and it was "The Perfect" TR game so far.

So happy with the direction the series is going to now, and hey what do you see! Lara Croft is finally looking like a REAL WOMEN :D

So excited and happy till I read this:
"Forget everything you knew about TOMB RAIDER,"
I just hope they don't change Lara so much... she is an Iconic character it would be a heartbreaking for me if we got some emo girl instead.

I want my cool badass rich Lara Croft :(

glaurung

Concept art does not have enough boobs.

Still interested though, Guardian of the Light was awesome even if a great deal different.

That art wasn't what I was expecting, which is good in a way

This could be interesting though I'm questioning the use of the Tomb Raider IP beyond brand recognition.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Nirolak said:
The leaked concept art had undead girl monsters.

If true interest is lost. I would love for it to just be a good and realistic adventure to survive on an island with some ancient flare, but if its about fighting the undead and a bunch of super natural shit I cant say Ill be very enthused.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
MYE said:
Yeah, those monsters look stupid
I think they look pretty sweet. Like something out of a Silent Hill game, except more violent than those generally look.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Uh, does she really need another origins story so soon?

Core: Plane crash killed her mom and dad (IIRC or just the mom), estranged from Dad for not wanting to be royalty. Hunts tombs.
CD: Plane crash, mom and her survive. Story arc for three games about what happens to her mom. Dad isn't estranged. Hunts tombs.
CD2: Boat (WTF, but okay) beached crash. Mom and Dad are estranged(?). Survival Horror.

I'm all for new directions with the series that aren't out-right adventure/platforming games. But do we need to change the character to fit these things?

StuBurns

Banned
BobsRevenge said:
I think they look pretty sweet. Like something out of a Silent Hill game, except more violent than those generally look.
The monsters in SH reflect the fears of the protagonist, unless Lara is scared of generic Japanese cinema, I doubt these will be as thoughtful or meaningful to the game.
Ifrit said:
Is that Kate from Lost?
Neoism's GotY 2011 is a lock.

Despera

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
I remember this. :lol

Truly a bold idea that would revolutionize the industry.
I thought it was freaking hilarious a while ago, until I realized navgtr was actually trolling.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
As a note, the art is over a year old. As we can tell from the Lara art, it's not necessarily what the game looks like right now.

Ellis Kim

Banned
kever0nicas said:
She looks a tad "man-ish" on the cover. Like some kind of effeminate male anime character.
What the fuck

LiK said:
Looks like they photoshopped a male model's face....
WAT THE FUCK???

Are you guys serious? I don't understand the series of posts from people who are either saying that she is "ew," or "mannish." What kind of guys do you hang around with, anyways?

She is very clearly feminine, and feminine enough. I don't need her to look like a fucking playboy bunny. The breast reduction in the leaked concept art is also a plus.

I, unlike some weird ass fuckwits in this thread, am highly excited for this reboot. Legend and Underworld were fuck all terrible, especially after playing the amazing piece of gaming that is Anniversary.

More platforming, near to no shooting of HUMAN enemies, and more volume in content.

MYE

Ellis Kim said:
What the fuck

WAT THE FUCK???

Are you guys serious? I don't understand the series of posts from people who are either saying that she is "ew," or "mannish." What kind of guys do you hang around with, anyways?

Dude, real girls look liek this

rin-kokonoe-with-group-sexy-cute-lolicon-blushing-smiling-winking-socks-swimsuit-m2692.jpg

Despera

Banned
Ellis Kim said:
What the fuck

WAT THE FUCK???

She is very clearly feminine, and feminine enough. I don't need her to look like a fucking playboy bunny. The breast reduction in the leaked concept art is also a plus.

I, unlike some weird ass fuckwits in this thread, am highly excited for this reboot. Legend and Underworld were fuck all terrible, especially after playing the amazing piece of gaming that is Anniversary.
She looks as manly as this guy:
a3Uxq.jpg

How the fuck you call that masculine? Great art, and what seems like a needed change for the series, even if I think they should focus on Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light more.

LiK

Ellis Kim said:
What the fuck

WAT THE FUCK???

More platforming, near to no shooting of HUMAN enemies, and more volume in content.
:lol Overreaction much?

What even gives people an indication that it's going for an Uncharted direction? If the rumors are true then it's an open world survival game. And looking at the cover, she even has the bow that she had in the concept art that mentioned the survival aspect. So, it shouldn't be anything like Uncharted.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
SolidSnakex said:
What even gives people an indication that it's going for an Uncharted direction? If the rumors are true then it's an open world survival game. And looking at the cover, she even has the bow that she had in the concept art that mentioned the survival aspect. So, it shouldn't be anything like Uncharted.
There's this bizarre Tomb Raider/Uncharted turf war that must have started around the same time people were complaining how Gears of War cloned Nintendogs and vice-versa.

A Tomb Raider that cloned Uncharted would be a victory in this turf war or something I guess.

StuBurns

Banned
Tomb Raider couldn't clone Uncharted anyway, it was here first doing basically the same thing with worse shooting. Them implementing over the shoulder gun play as appose to the current terrible one is just a natural transition.

george_us

Open-world survival? Eh I don't know.

It'd be cool if there are small platforming challenges you find scattered about in addition to the main Tombs. If there platforming is heavily reduced then I probably won't be buying it.

george_us said:
Open-world survival? Eh I don't know.

It'd be cool if there are small platforming challenges you find scattered about in addition to the main Tombs. If there platforming is heavily reduced then I probably won't be buying it.

We don't even know if there is tombs. This sounds like a survival-horror game, which is awesome since they are rebooting and redefining what Tomb Raider means.

Pooya

Nirolak said:
There's this bizarre Tomb Raider/Uncharted turf war that must have started around the same time people were complaining how Gears of War cloned Nintendogs and vice-versa.

A Tomb Raider that cloned Uncharted would be a victory in this turf war or something I guess.
really?:lol
previous Tomb Raider and Uncharted games have little in common as far as gameplay goes and this one doesn't imply anything Uncharted like, at least the Uncharteds I've played are not anything like TRs.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
miladesn said:
really?:lol
previous Tomb Raider and Uncharted games don't have little in common as far as gameplay goes and this one doesn't imply anything Uncharted like, at least the Uncharteds I've played are not anything like this.
No, those people are fictional (I hope), but I feel they share a lot in common with the other group. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom