• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Game Informer Cover - Tomb Raider Reboot [Update: Hub Page Up]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grisby

The only thing I would want taken from Uncharted is the cover or gun mechanics. Even then Lara is far more acrobatic than Drake so you'd have to account for that. If they were going to go combat heavy I would like it to be against nature (weather, animals, oh my!) more so than humans and they might go this way seeing how one of her weapons is a bow.

On topic at first I was like 'whoa' but now I'm like 'nice'. I too get a real uncanny valley vibe from that picture but if their going to go in a new direction I say take it all the way. Tomb Raider has been one of my favorite franchises even being able to extend itself to the downloadbale market with GOL.

I'll be there day one.

Elios83

After the terrible Underworld they definetly needed a full reboot.
The game should be open world, so I expect a cross game between Assassin's Creed, Prince of Persia and Uncharted.
Really looking forward to see it next week.

Hari Seldon

As one of the few real fans of this franchise and especially the last few games I like the new Laura design. I am very skeptical about this open world rumor. It is very hard to pull that off correctly imo and still have it be fun. You need a huge budget and lots of time and developer skill.

Ellis Kim

Banned
LiK said:
:lol Overreaction much?
Dude. I do not understand how you can possibly look at that face and say "she looks like a dude."

The fact that there are a SERIES of people in this thread who are saying that just makes it that much more sad.

BowieZ

Banned
Hari Seldon said:
As one of the few real fans of this franchise and especially the last few games I like the new Laura design.
cce6aa9e-c40c-4ae7-aebe-d7780d6fc009.gif

LiK

Hari Seldon said:
As one of the few real fans of this franchise and especially the last few games I like the new Laura design. I am very skeptical about this open world rumor. It is very hard to pull that off correctly imo and still have it be fun. You need a huge budget and lots of time and developer skill.
Dude....

Edit: beaten by an eagle

Tomb Raider needs some type of combat to break up all the platforming and puzzles. The auto-aim stuff is just too easy and mindless for me. I don't want it to have shooter mechanics like Uncharted.

If they flesh out the close combat mechanics and melee attacks, it could be very interesting. I like the bow and arrow. Lara setting traps on the island would be fun as well. I heard rumors there are stealth elements in the game which makes me very excited.

Grisby

mescalineeyes said:
It might be a bit early for port-begging, but I am crossing my fingers SO HARD for a PC version.

They've had one of every iteration so far (Underworld looked pretty gorgeous) so I don't see why they wouldn't.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
mescalineeyes said:
It might be a bit early for port-begging, but I am crossing my fingers SO HARD for a PC version.
Well, given that all of Eidos' games have PC versions, including the previous Tomb Raiders games, you should be fine.

Nirolak said:
There's this bizarre Tomb Raider/Uncharted turf war that must have started around the same time people were complaining how Gears of War cloned Nintendogs and vice-versa.

A Tomb Raider that cloned Uncharted would be a victory in this turf war or something I guess.

I just don't get it. It's like some people haven't played the other franchise at all. The main game mechanics in both are very different. Besides, I don't know why some would want TR to be like Uncharted given that there's definitely a new Uncharted coming. So, it isn't like it's been years and year since the last game that played like that. You don't need two games that play like each other.

george_us

Vinterbird said:
We don't even know if there is tombs. This sounds like a survival-horror game, which is awesome since they are rebooting and redefining what Tomb Raider means.
If it's purely survival horror with no ruins or Tombs or anything like that and less focus on platforming, then I'm out. Why even call it Tomb Raider? Can't wait to see what info Game Informer has.

Salaadin

I like everything so far. The undead shit is kinda weird but maybe itll be a minor part of the game. Id prefer if there was less shooting than Underworld.

eXistor

I hope they won't make it as dark and gritty as the cover suiggests, but otherwise I'm very interested to see what they'll cook up.

BowieZ

Banned
Salaadin said:
I like everything so far. The undead shit is kinda weird but maybe itll be a minor part of the game. Id prefer if there was less shooting than Underworld.
Presumably there'll be no shooting at all. We'll be meleeing, burning, slicing, spearing and arrowing our foes, possibly even running them over with a horse :lol

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Game Informer said:
Forget what you know about Lara Croft. As of today, all that is changing.

In our world-exclusive cover story, we uncover a brand-new Lara Croft. Rebooting the Tomb Raider franchise through an origin story wasn’t so much a choice as an act of necessity, according to Crystal Dynamics. Drastic measures were needed. To build an entirely fresh Lara – a culturally relevant hero worth of the attention that once came so effortlessly – they must break her first. In this new adventure – simply titled Tomb Raider – a younger and inexperienced Lara Croft must endure both physical and emotional trauma to survive.

Make sure to check out the Tomb Raider hub throughout the month of December for more exclusive details about Lara Croft’s rebirth. The hub will launch later today.

We've got two logo treatments for the new cover. You can see one in the front cover image below, and the other in the full wraparound spread that's a little further down the page.

In addition to the ten exclusive pages of Tomb Raider details, we’ve got a full book of other compelling content. Jeff Cork takes a look at gaming on the other side off the world, diving into policy and practices in Iran. Additionally, Annette Gonzales broke a sweat by rounding up and breaking down all the current Kinect fitness offerings at retail. Also, don’t forget to check out our previews of Dead Space 2 and L.A. Noire, and our final verdict on Warren Spector’s Epic Mickey.

The January issue of Game Informer will start arriving in subscriber’s mailboxes this week, and will hit newsstands the 11th of December.
Source: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/12/06/january-cover-revealed.aspx

Hardy LeBel of Halo is apparently involved in the project as gameplay director. Considering his background, I wonder how the combat system will be improved, and if there will be guns at all. (I hope not.)

george_us said:
If it's purely survival horror with no ruins or Tombs or anything like that and less focus on platforming, then I'm out. Why even call it Tomb Raider? Can't wait to see what info Game Informer has.
There have been Halo games that don't feature an actual Halo.

Whilst I like the look of the new Lara, I am concerned the gameplay of exploring and puzzle solving will be sacrificed for the action and combat.

Also the fact that they are changing her origins again... is another worry. The proof will be in the eating, or at least in viewing the menu, and so I will eagerly await the details being posted online, and if worst comes to the worst, there is always Legend, Anniversary, and Underworld to go back to.

Larson Conway said:
Hardy LeBel of Halo is apparently involved in the project as gameplay director. Considering his background, I wonder how the combat system will be improved, and if there will be guns at all. (I hope not.)
I just looked at his game credits. Halo, Halo 2, and Socom 3 Navy Seals. Ugh. Hype -10000.

Larson Conway said:

Assuming hat Lara isn't fighting humans in this, then there's no reason that she should be finding ammo on an abandoned island. Relying on traps and stuff like that bow would make more sense.

FoneBone

Larson Conway said:
I can't see there being no guns, but judging by the prominence of the bow in the art I doubt they'll be playing the same role they used to.

LiK

SolidSnakex said:
Assuming hat Lara isn't fighting humans in this, then there's no reason that she should be finding ammo on an abandoned island. Relying on traps and stuff like that bow would make more sense.
Tomb Raider: Dungeon Master

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
marathonfool said:
I just looked at his game credits. Halo, Halo 2, and Socom 3 Navy Seals. Ugh. Hype -10000.
TheOddOne said:
This thread just keep delivering... fuck.
Well, if you want to knock him on his record, the guy who designed Jade Empire's gameplay is working on Diablo 3.

ArjanN

Nuclear Muffin said:
Whilst I like the look of the new Lara, I am concerned the gameplay of exploring and puzzle solving will be sacrificed for the action and combat.

Well, it doesn't look like you have guns in this, so that doesn't really point to more action. And they could easily still have tombs/dungeons on the island.

Ellis Kim said:
At least I'm not the only person in this thread who's hoping for a breast reduction on Lara.

Her breast size was fine the last 4 games or so.

PumpkinPie said:
Didn't they call Underworld a reboot too?

No, it's a sequel to the other two Crystal Dynamics games.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'm all over this. I pray they get decent animations, too. :(

Oh, and Lara Croft sequels. Hundreds of them. Give 'em to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom