• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Debut Trailer - Holiday 2011 - 360/PS3/PC

LiK

Update:

Here's a new interview. There's not much in the way of new details, but I think it's the closest to details we've gotten so far.

If nothing else, it seems planet scanning is out.

GameRant said:
[This is an ME2 question, but leads into the rest] Game Rant: When you addressed design concerns going from Mass Effect 1 to Mass Effect 2, how did you start? What influenced the changes?

Christina Norman: A couple of major factors. First of all, we always had a vision for the game. The vision evolves, it never stays exactly the same but from the very start, there was the vision of the game. We knew at the point when Mass Effect 1 came out that there were certain aspects of the original vision of Mass Effect that we had not addressed. In addition, we looked at feedback from both reviewers and fans and we were lucky. If people had been all over of the map and everyone said something different then it wouldn’t have been useful.

There were a lot of themes that emerged that seemed really consistent and resulted in kind of like a critical, hardcore gamer feedback and there were also people who would just say things like, “I find this game confusing,” “I try to play it and my gun isn’t hitting anybody and I don’t know what’s going on,” and other sort of things. So there were certain aspects of the gameplay that were making the game inaccessable to players.

The way I like to put that is, Mass Effect has always looked like a shooter, but Mass Effect 1 didn’t really play like one. It could play like a shooter, if you were a smart gamer and you understood what we were doing and you did all the RPG stuff in just the right way, you could have a pretty good shooter experience.

We wanted to make sure every gamer who have already played a shooter could have a good experience in Mass Effect 2 and look at the RPG stuff as not being the barrier to entry, like you don’t get to play a shooter if you don’t do this RPG stuff and make it more like “You can play it like a shooter, but if you want to be really awesome, if you want to just destroy everything, you really have to engage that RPG stuff.” And that becomes sort of a competitive edge to a gamer when you engage those RPG mechanics.

Game Rant: Will players who opted to stay romantically involved with Liara or Ashley Williams from ME1 be rewarded for staying loyal?

Christina Norman: I can’t talk about any of the specific decisions or what they actually do. But what I can say is that decisions through all of the Mass Effect games, including the DLC, will matter for Mass Effect 3. And it’s not just like decisions that carried over from ME1 to ME2 will matter in ME3, they’ll be decisions in ME1 that did not visibly impact ME2 that will have an impact in ME3. What we looked at is the total story, everything that happened in Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2 is real and matters, we let the writers draw on that as much as they want to customize the experience and to be pretty much without limits.

Game Rant: Since the design differences between 1 and 2 were so prevalent, are you taking an approach to the third game of “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it?”

Christina Norman: Sure. This is the metaphor you can think of it in. I can tell you the overall arcing design for 1, 2, and 3. With ME1, we wanted to build Mass Effect and we did our best to do that and we succeeded in a lot of areas, but we didn’t reach where we wanted to do in some areas. Mass Effect 2 was like, “OK, now we have time to take what we did and fully sort of realize the vision we had for Mass Effect.” And we’ve done that, but now what we can do is add another layer on top of that in terms of “now that we have something that we think really represents the Mass Effect experience, let’s build on that.”

There really is infinite possibilities now that we have that really, really solid Mass Effect 2 core. What you’ll probably not see in Mass Effect 3 is a lot of major, complete reinventions, because we don’t have those things where we’ll shift it and all that. That is not actually what we wanted to do. There will still be things that are in ME2 that won’t be in ME3 and that’s just because we’re looking at the overall play experience of “does this make sense to have in both games?” Sometimes there’s something and we’ll say “this is great for one game, but we don’t want to do it again in another game, because once was enough.” And instead we want to put in something new to replace it.

Game Rant: Like planet scanning?

Christina Norman: I can’t comment on anything specifically, but there will be elements that are in ME2 that are not in ME3.
Source: http://gamerant.com/mass-effect-3-interview-bioware-christina-norman-gdc-trung-71733/

Original:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/vga-10-mass-effect/708363

This means Bioware has three big games in 2011

Dragon Age 2
Star Wars Old Republic
Mass Effect 3

but I think ME3 will be delayed. w/e 2011 is crazy.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Sykra

Linkzg said:
This means Bioware has three big games in 2011

Dragon Age 2
Star Wars Old Republic
Mass Effect 3

but I think ME3 will be delayed. w/e 2011 is crazy.

Bioware is huge though, no reason for it to get delayed.

LCfiner

well, that’s earth, all right.

I guess Bioware feels that they need to put someplace familiar in peril in order to get people to care about the plot but, man, I really don’t give a shit about Earth in the Mass Effect universe.

I guess if it’s the last place we go, then I could be OK with it, but I really don’t want a lot of focus on earth.

I want a lot of focus on Asari brothels and spaaaaaaace

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
"If Shepard doesn't stop trying to solve his friend's side quests soon..."

CG trailers are LAME. =(

I'm sure it will have awesome shooting and tons of great characters, but I hate how this really cool story of a galactic civilization full of interesting species with their own unique cultures will boil down to "special chosen one saves humanity from alien invasion."

Chinner said:
all our fears have been confirmed.

well, at least we have mass effect 1 guys!

We have to accept defeat, the Mass Effect where we can land on a desolate planet in a MAKO and discover pirate bases and threshar maws is over.

Embrace the RPG-Shooter hybrid

Ezalc

While awesome, I want this game to have at least one spaceship dogfight that I get to control. Also I hope that the ending isn't shitty, but if it has some shyamalan twist I'll laugh my ass off.

One thing can be certain though: My wallet will be ANNIHILATED in 2011. There will be nothing left.

nemesun

Chinner said:
all our fears have been confirmed.

well, at least we have mass effect 1 guys!
I'm replaying ME1 for the fourth time right now. Sooo Good. :( There is only one Mass Effect game, not two nor three.

Sotha Sil

EmCeeGramr said:
I'm sure it will be awesome shooting and tons of great characters, but I hate how this really cool story of a galactic civilization full of interesting species with their own unique cultures will boil down to "special chosen one saves humanity from alien invasion."

Yep. The focus on earth is catastrophic.

I wouldn't judge the game too much by that trailer. They needed SOMETHING to get the attention of the masses. I'm sure the focus of the game will still be on exploring the galaxy.

Chinner

Banned
Solo said:
2011 sounds kinda rushed :/
what else do you expect? its just ME2 but with reapers this time. this is how its going to pan out.

1) earth is attacked (but despite a infinite number of reapers attack, earth doesnt fall).
2) shepard has to get everyone to save earth
3) shepard vists 4-5 planets (for example, you go to krogan planet, at first wrex doesnt want to help you but then he decide if you kill a space worm he will help you)
4) you return to earth to figh the reapers
5) you save teh earth!

nemesun

EmCeeGramr said:
I'm sure it will have awesome shooting and tons of great characters, but I hate how this really cool story of a galactic civilization full of interesting species with their own unique cultures will boil down to "special chosen one saves humanity from alien invasion."
Fuck me, this is so depressing.

Top Bottom