• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Debut Trailer - Holiday 2011 - 360/PS3/PC

EatChildren said:
Expect the disappointment, and you'll never be disappointed.

A live of misery is a life for me.
i actually remember reading some study years ago that relentless optimists still feel better when they're disappointed than pessimists are when their expectations are met

Sotha Sil

Fimbulvetr said:
"I hope Shepard gets here soon."

Wait. Who the hell are you? When did Shepard become the most important human ever? You're telling me that there are no off-world alliance ships that can go out for help?

Did the president of earth go "holy shit let's call Shepard"?

Pretty much. "We've been hit by an unknown force and lost millions, but let's call that guy who saved the Citadel, died, then betrayed the Alliance, I'm not sure in what order." Wut?

kman3000

Chinner said:
so an infinite amount of reapers are attacking earth, but apparantly shepard has enough time to go around the universe doing quests to get their armies to help him.
We don't know at what part of the game this attack begins.

Solo

These are strange days when I get hyped for an Elder Scrolls game (HATED Oblivion) and have no hype for ME3.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Solo said:
No, but they are clearly making it the focal point when not a single fuck has been given about earth so far in this series.

Well derr. BioWare has been saying for a long time now they were saving Earth for the final game, and plenty of their fans have been clammoring for it, even if others (like myself) couldn't give two shits about it.

Its been heading down this path since the beginning. The 'humans are oh so special' card has been played since the very first game.

EmCeeGramr said:
i actually remember reading some study years ago that relentless optimists still feel better when they're disappointed than pessimists are when their expectations are met

Get your science out of here, this is MASS EFFECT.

Zombie James said:
ME2 was released in January of this year. If ME3 releases in October of 2011, that'll be nearly 2 years (20 months) later. Doesn't sound rushed to me.

Don't forget that Bioware is no longer what it was. Now Bioware is just another EA development team, that it's output has increased threefold without any increase in personnel or reasources and will be gutted soon enough.

It almost seems that for Mass Effect 3. Bioware has taken the story from Mass Effect and the character development of Mass Effect 2 and threw it out the fucking window.

Why not call it Battlefield Earth and be done with it.

bdr3ft.jpg

Fuck you EA!

Solo

EatChildren said:
Well derr. BioWare has been saying for a long time now they were saving Earth for the final game, and plenty of their fans have been clammoring for it, even if others (like myself) couldn't give two shits about it.

Their fans are of questionable character.

Larson Conway said:
I'm sure the Earth being supposedly such an important place will be justified.

In the Earth core it lays the DEFINITIVE weapon the Collectors (yet another small group of scientifics that managed to survive somehow) hide, why Earth? because it's special and humans are special....

gaheris

We were promised the galaxy and we got Earth again :(

So instead of going around getting new parters I guess we are getting new generals for the attack. Hope they play with the structure of the game way more than they have so far.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Solo said:
Their fans are of questionable character.

Have you been to the BioWare forums? Take a trip some time. Read through the threads. Make sure to pack cyanide capsules.

EatChildren said:

Its been heading down this path since the beginning. The 'humans are oh so special' card has been played since the very first game.

Get your science out of here, this is MASS EFFECT.

I also didn't understand that point. Every human character in the game has mentioned Earth, the Illusive man's aim was to keep Earth safe. ME 1 also was a story about humanity asserting their dominance on the galaxy. Earth fits the story perfectly.

dejan

Acheteedo said:
Retarded post. Gaf has repeatedly gone through this ridiculous cycle due to harboring so many clinically depressed pessimists. You hate good things, we get it.
Don't argue with the crazies on this board. Especially not when it's BioWare related.

clashfan

ukresistance said:
Don't forget that Bioware is no longer what it was. Now Bioware is just another EA development team, that it's output has increased threefold without any increase in personnel or reasources and will be gutted soon enough.

It almost seems that for Mass Effect 3. Bioware has taken the story from Mass Effect and the character development of Mass Effect 2 and threw it out the fucking window.

Why not call it Battlefield Earth and be done with it.

battlefield_earth_ver1.jpg

Fuck you EA!

:lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yes, we're going to stop calling each other retarded now, and we'll refrain from "haters gonna hate" unless we have something to contribute.

Y2Kev said:
Yes, we're going to stop calling each other retarded now, and we'll refrain from "haters gonna hate" unless we have something to contribute.
can you guys please make that a rule in every thread already

Acheteedo said:
Retarded post. Gaf has repeatedly gone through this ridiculous cycle due to harboring so many clinically depressed pessimists. You hate good things, we get it.

Jesus Christ you're a whiner.

I'm sure ME3 will be a fun game. It will just be unintentionally hilarious. :lol

Kenka

That must be quite a day in history of gaming.

First visual evidence for both an Elder Scrolls entry AND Mass Effect :lol

And it's almost 4 am here, I don't even know why I stayed awake, damn lucky :lol

watership

EXCELLENT.

I remember when the Doctors said they planned to have the whole trilogy on 360 and everyone was like "Yo, you crazy Bioware."

Acheteedo said:
Pessimism for this game exists because of wasted potential. Not because of your assumption that the majority is clinically depressed. God forbid anyone has the expectation that a story doesn't conclude in such a retarded manner. Folks being complacent with shallow presentation is a major thing as to what's wrong with this industry.

Yasae

Banned
anonnumber6 said:
I also didn't understand that point. Every human character in the game has mentioned Earth, the Illusive man's aim was to keep Earth safe. ME 1 also was a story about humanity asserting their dominance on the galaxy. Earth fits the story perfectly.
They shave this whole universe into a tiny little point.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jesus Christ, they might as well have Shepard say "I'm here to finish the fight" at the end of that trailer.

Why does Science Fiction HAVE to suck? Is there some rule that says SF writers have to use the most generic bullshit in their stories?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
asdad123 said:
That reminds me... I should buy ME2.

Do you guys recommend the PC version over the 360 version?
PC version is great. Unlike the first game, ME2 looks and runs amazing on PC.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Thank FUCK they included the "Mass Effect jingle" from ME1 at the end there. I'm so happy about that. I don't care about the rest of the trailer, THAT DAMN 3 SECOND THEME HAS MADE MY WEEK.

Beowulf28

Are you guys worried that the whole game will take place on Earth? I'm pretty sure will be able to go to other planets and probably see the homeworlds of the other species (turian , asari)

SlickVic

Are those Reapers at the end of the trailer? The whole point of Sovereign in ME1 seems pretty useless now if they guys can still attack the galaxy without his help.

Acheteedo

Pessimism for this game exists because of wasted potential. Not because of your assumption that the majority is clinically depressed. God forbid anyone has the expectation that a story doesn't conclude in such a retarded manner. Folks being complacent with shallow presentation is a major thing as to what's wrong with this industry.

The fundamental counter point to all your points is that you have no idea what the story will actually entail, the trailer told you guys next to nothing, only that some aspects (reapers+earth) will be involved, and you're all up in arms about it. People are already drawing conclusions in this thread like ME1 being entirely invalidated, it's just puerile.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
As a huge Mass Effect fan, I am very disappointed in the ME3 trailer. The scope of ME1 was so huge and the ending of it made for such an epic trilogy. I hope ME doesn't become another save the Earth type of sci fi stories.

SlickVic said:
Are those Reapers at the end of the trailer? The whole point of Sovereign in ME1 seems pretty useless now if they guys can still attack the galaxy without his help.

Not forgetting the ending of ME2 as well. Guess all of Shepard's efforts were in vain.

ROFL

Hail Britannia
Interesting... perhaps the last thing I was expecting was Resistance FoM but done better.

EmCeeGramr said:
I'm sure it will have awesome shooting and tons of great characters, but I hate how this really cool story of a galactic civilization full of interesting species with their own unique cultures will boil down to "special chosen one saves humanity from alien invasion."

How else are you going to get a movie made? And by the looks of this trailer like they've already cast Jason Statham..

How can you say the game is wasted potential when all you've seen is a CG trailer for it and haven't played the game?

Top Bottom