• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Debut Trailer - Holiday 2011 - 360/PS3/PC

tokkun

gillFTR said:
It wasn't a certain branch, but like you said the system isn't perfect and none are. I'm a huge fan of ME and Bioware, but The Witcher's system happens to be better(maybe its just personal opinion I don't know because it seems me I might be getting tired of the Bioware formula).

Also thanks I'm happy to hear about the persuade system changes.

Yeah, The Witcher had a great persuasion system.

"Have sex with me or I will let the villagers burn you at the stake"

"Have sex with me and I will give you this diamond"

"I gave bread to your starving friends. I think that's worth some sex"

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Kurtofan said:
firehawk12 said:
Yeah, his post was edited to include:

"Edit: Earlier today one of BioWare’s volunteer moderators answered a question about the possibility of multiplayer in Mass Effect 3. That statement was not official. BioWare has not discussed any features for Mass Effect 3. We look forward to sharing more next year."

Which means it'll have multiplayer. :p
What?no it doesn't.
But this sure does.

Well, either that, or BioWare Edmonton and BioWare Montreal are collaborating on a different Unreal Engine Third Person Shooter with multiplayer.

Job Posting 1 said:
BioWare Montreal - QA Design Analyst

QUALITY ASSURANCE DESIGN ANALYST
JOB DESCRIPTION

Be part of BioWare’s future

BioWare Montreal is now looking for the industry’s top talents to join its team. As the newest member of the BioWare family, we remain true to BioWare’s core values, caring as much about the wellbeing of our employees as we do about the quality of our games. We are working on BioWare's top franchises, as we build our way toward becoming a fully self-sufficient BioWare studio. If you want to help us achieve our mission of delivering the best story-driven games in the world, and you dream of being part of a dynamic, talented and focused team, now is the time to get onboard.

A highly skilled gameplay expert responsible for testing and measuring the player experience (fun) using proven analytical techniques (iterative process consisting of characterizations, hypotheses, predictions, and experimentation). The key activities are design and gameplay analysis, test architecting, and testing (providing both objective and subjective feedback).

Current Specializations (w/defined Test Processes): Level Design, Combat, Interface Design, Multiplayer Experience

PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES
• Develop and implement multiplayer testing methodology to ensure quality multiplayer gameplay and levels
• Provide gameplay balance feedback and critique
• Work directly with content creators to provide feedback and support as required
• Document and maintain test coverage documents for assigned content
• Develop and act upon plan for applying testing coverage to assigned content, throughout the various phases of development
• Assist in tracking, organizing, monitoring, communicating and reporting content and system issues for the project.
• Evaluate work flows being employed by the Content Creation teams and develop efficient methods of providing testing support
• Work with technical QA to ensure a seamless hand-off process from technical systems checks to design, balance, and fun feedback on gameplay elements as they are delivered by designers

REQUIRED EXPERIENCE
• Knowledge of software testing methodologies and practices
• Familiarity with spreadsheet tracking document creation and maintenance via tools such as Excel
• Experience with online social network integration
• Prior experience supervising and directing of the daily testing duties of other testers
• Familiarity with design concepts (gameplay/level design)

ADDITIONAL SKILLS, ABILITIES AND KNOWLEDGE

• Familiar with all major release first- and third-person shooter genre titles
• Avid gamer who regularly engages in multiplayer gameplay
• Solid understanding of and experience with Agile development processes
• Strong Time and Task Management Skills
• Excellent Problem Identification and Solving Ability
• Effective communication skills both verbally and in writing
• Expert knowledge in key area(s), particularly Game Design, Development
• Strong understanding of Quality Assurance Processes
• Familiarization with defect tracking and test management tools
• Focused on continuous improvement
• Real world experience within that specialization (i.e. Level Design – Experience designing levels).

ADVANTAGES
Knowledge of the Unreal 3 Engine and the Unreal Editor toolset
Familiarity with game level editors
Source: https://jobs.ea.com/search/view.do?id=a0z50000000dg5UAAQ

Job Posting 2 said:
QA Project Lead – Edmonton

BioWare (www.bioware.com), one of the newest members of the incredible family of EA studios, has created some of the world's best-selling titles including the award-winning Baldur's Gate, the Neverwinter Nights series, and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. Original BioWare-created IPs include Jade Empire, the critically acclaimed Mass Effect, Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood for the Nintendo DS and epic fantasy RPG Dragon Age: Origins. BioWare is hard at work on Mass Effect 2 and Star Wars: The Old Republic, our massively multiplayer online game being developed at BioWare Austin.

BioWare’s games have continually achieved critical and commercial success. All of our published titles are in the top 5% highest rated at www.gamerankings.com; in fact we have 6 games in the top 1% highest rated games of all time! Today BioWare has over 500 staff at its locations and continues to grow.
A highly skilled gameplay expert responsible for testing and measuring the player experience (fun) using proven analytical techniques (iterative process consisting of characterizations, hypotheses, predictions, and experimentation). The key activities are design and gameplay analysis, test architecting, and testing (providing both objective and subjective feedback).

Current Specializations (w/defined Test Processes): Level Design, Combat, Interface Design, Multiplayer Experience

PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES
• Scope out and develop high level testing plan for Multiplayer Gameplay
• Coordinate multiplayer testing efforts between Edmonton and Montreal
• Scope out and develop high level testing plan for DLC
• Organize QA support required to support Localization team
• Coordinate testing efforts with external parties
• Schedule passes required from external groups to support systems/content during various phases of development
• Determine task priority, schedules, and deadlines for assigned areas/systems

REQUIRED EXPERIENCE
• Knowledge of software testing methodologies and practices
• Familiarity with spreadsheet tracking document creation and maintenance via tools such as Excel
• Experience with online social network integration
• Prior experience supervising and directing of the daily testing duties of other testers
• Familiarity with design concepts (gameplay/level design)

ADDITIONAL SKILLS, ABILITIES AND KNOWLEDGE
• Familiar with all major release first- and third-person shooter genre titles
• Avid gamer who regularly engages in multiplayer gameplay
• Solid understanding of and experience with Agile development processes
• Strong Time and Task Management Skills
• Excellent Problem Identification and Solving Ability
• Effective communication skills both verbally and in writing
• Expert knowledge in key area(s), particularly Game Design, Development
• Strong understanding of Quality Assurance Processes
• Familiarization with defect tracking and test management tools
• Focused on continuous improvement
• Real world experience within that specialization (i.e. Level Design – Experience designing levels).

ADVANTAGES
Knowledge of the Unreal 3 Engine and the Unreal Editor toolset
Familiarity with game level editors
Source: https://jobs.ea.com/search/view.do?id=a0z50000000nA3gAAE

squicken

Lo-Volt said:
If Samara is invited to the paramour party, could BioWare also remember Joker this time

How would that even work? With his bonitis, sex would kill him. Best game death ever could be sacrificing him to a group of horny Krogan females

Messi

I hope Mass Effect 3 does not do to the characters of ME2 what ME2 did to the characters of Mass Effect. IE, make them passing characters that you see once or twice and never again.

I like all the mass effect 2 characters. I want to keep those guys in my party not have some new rag tag group of characters. :lol .

I am clearly not over the whole 'no liara in your party in ME2'. :D

Gui_PT

Messi said:
I hope Mass Effect 3 does not do to the characters of ME2 what ME2 did to the characters of Mass Effect. IE, make them passing characters that you see once or twice and never again.

I like all the mass effect 2 characters. I want to keep those guys in my party not have some new rag tag group of characters. :lol .

I am clearly not over the whole 'no liara in your party in ME2'. :D

Well, since supposedly there was no dialog recorded for Miranda, I don't see you hanging out with your ME2 team.

You'll probably have to go around looking for new members to save the Universe.

Lo-Volt

Gui_PT said:
Semi related question.

Does anyone know where I can get some good Mass Effect-ish music?

Working on a video where that kind of music would fit perfectly, but can't find anything decent.

Peter Gabriel's soundtrack to Birdy, actually. Not the closest fit compared to the soundtrack to Blade Runner, but it has its moments.

Daft_Cat

Gui_PT said:
Well, since supposedly there was no dialog recorded for Miranda, I don't see you hanging out with your ME2 team.

Who has said put forward such a troubling notion?

I was planning on banging her again.

Alucrid

Banned
Gui_PT said:

Except Garrus and Tali then.

Gui_PT

Lo-Volt said:
Peter Gabriel's soundtrack to Birdy, actually. Not the closest fit compared to the soundtrack to Blade Runner, but it has its moments.

Thanks, that sounds great. Looking into it now.

Secret_Riddle said:
Who has said put forward such a troubling notion?
I was planning on banging her again.

Yvonne Strahovski tweeted that she didn't record any dialog for ME3

Alucrid said:
Except Garrus and Tali then.

I love those characters, along with all ME2 characters(not you Jacob)

And I really don't want to go around the galaxy again looking for new teammates but I don't see how they can get a full game without doing so.

Gui_PT said:
Yvonne Strahovski tweeted that she didn't record any dialog for ME3

@Y_Strahovski Are you allowed to say if you're doing a Mass Effect 3 voice over? We're
@Snacpack no... But I'm doing The Third Birthday... :)

Tricky question :p

Gui_PT

Metalmurphy said:
@Y_Strahovski Are you allowed to say if you're doing a Mass Effect 3 voice over? We're
@Snacpack no... But I'm doing The Third Birthday... :)

Tricky question :p

Ooooohhhh, for some reason I remember the question being : "Did you do a Mass Effect 3 voice over?"

My bad. Thanks for that.

Subitai

Lakitu said:
Yeah, I think it's a given it'll include multi.
I'm sure it they'll do it well along the lines of Assassin's Creed. It is just really hard these days to not have mp in a game and expect breakout big sales numbers.

Finally got around to watching it.

Surprised they didn't show any gameplay since rumblings around the office are that the game is already fully playable, beginning to end, RIGHT NOW and the next year or so is all polish.

That might not be true, but the game is definitely far enough along that gameplay would have dropped jaws.

Grisby

The Antitype said:

Surprised they didn't show any gameplay since rumblings around the office are that the game is already fully playable, beginning to end, RIGHT NOW and the next year or so is all polish.

That might not be true, but the game is definitely far enough along that gameplay would have dropped jaws.

:(

Thanks for the info bud, damn if this isn't going to be a long year. Also, I hope Strohovski is back. Be a shame to lose any voice actors at this point.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The Antitype said:

Maybe it is playable in a functional state, but still has some way to go in terms of assets?

Dilly

Banned
The Antitype said:

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE MAN! :(:(:(

Gui_PT said:
Ooooohhhh, for some reason I remember the question being : "Did you do a Mass Effect 3 voice over?"

My bad. Thanks for that.
And the happy face at the end sells the package.
She will be in Mass Effect 3 without doubt.

The Antitype said:

Mmmm... mmmmmmmmmmmmmm... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
Sir I demand explanation!

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Mmmm... mmmmmmmmmmmmmm... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Sir I demand explanation!

Well the game being complete and fully playable from beginning to end is just a rumor I've heard ...but I heard it from people who would probably know.

As for the dropping jaws thing? EA sends around internal, confidential demo reels every so often, so that we all know what each arm of the company is up to, and it lets the devs strut their stuff to each other. Last one I saw was late Dec and it looked damn good.

Those giant robots tearing apart the Earth? I've seen them rendered in-engine. :D

Lime

If it is true :O

Anyone going dark on any media coverage (screenshots, non-cgi trailers, etc)? It worked for me on ME2 and made each hub world much more impressive.

derFeef

The Antitype said:
Well the game being complete and fully playable from beginning to end is just a rumor I've heard ...but I heard it from people who would probably know.

As for the dropping jaws thing? EA sends around internal, confidential demo reels every so often, so that we all know what each arm of the company is up to, and it lets the devs strut their stuff to each other. Last one I saw was late Dec and it looked damn good.

Those giant robots tearing apart the Earth? I've seen them rendered in-engine. :D
BF3, ME3 - dude you must be a lucky person. Why do they show the stuff to so many folks tough? Even PR guys?

Kurtofan

The Antitype said:

damn man if true best news EVER.
I want them to polish me aswell, that's how happy I am.

ShinAmano

Lime said:
If it is true :O

Anyone going dark on any media coverage (screenshots, non-cgi trailers, etc)? It worked for me on ME2 and made each hub world much more impressive.
I loved ME1...watched the trailer for ME2 and that was it until I picked up the game last month...will do the same for ME3 but I will be getting it much closer to launch.

Darklord

Banned
The Antitype said:

You just come into threads to stir the legions up don't you? First Battlefield 3, now this.:lol

You are good at PR.

The Antitype said:

You sir have bring happiness to this dull place!

Im sure you cant say anything more no? Becuase if you could tell something about Shepards team, etc...
I would explode!

derFeef said:
BF3, ME3 - dude you must be a lucky person. Why do they show the stuff to so many folks tough? Even PR guys?

Battlefield 3, Dragon Age 2, NFS, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Bulletstorm and a few others were all in the same reel.

I don't know the reason they show it to us. I imagine it has to do with team-building, make everybody in the company feel invested in the future and proud of the content the company is putting out.

On another level, say I'm a marketer for NFS and we get budget x for the next game. Then we see or hear that another game gets budget 3x. If we've seen the game, see why the company is expecting so much from it, and see that it's on track to earn that budget, then it probably helps morale.

Gui_PT

The Antitype said:

iTbWg.gif

The Antitype said:
Battlefield 3, Dragon Age 2, NFS, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Bulletstorm and a few others were all in the same reel.

I don't know the reason they show it to us. I imagine it has to do with team-building, make everybody in the company feel invested in the future and proud of the content the company is putting out.

On another level, say I'm a marketer for NFS and we get budget x for the next game. Then we see or hear that another game gets budget 3x. If we've seen the game, see why the company is expecting so much from it, and see that it's on track to earn that budget, then it probably helps morale.

Well, thast a good thing they use at EA then.

derFeef

The Antitype said:

Nice, but aren´t they afraid of leaks? If only description of gameplay or something like that.

derFeef said:
Nice, but aren´t they afraid of leaks? If only description of gameplay or something like that.

They don't show anything that people couldn't already infer. Only marketing people working on the franchise/game and actual devs get access to that stuff.

Anything I saw about BF3 or ME3 could be inferred by fans of the franchise. I saw that BF3 had guns, explosions, vehicles, large maps and was played from the first person perspective. I got a few flashes of the HUD, but have no idea about how they're evolving the game's play mechanics.

I know a ton about the NFS franchise for the next 18 months, and I'm not spilling. We all signed our NDAs, and it's not worth losing a job over. I honestly haven't conversed with anybody working here who isn't really excited about the company's direction right now.

The Antitype said:
I know a ton about the NFS franchise for the next 18 months, and I'm not spilling. We all signed our NDAs, and it's not worth losing a job over. I honestly haven't conversed with anybody working here who isn't really excited about the company's direction right now.
I used to be so anti-EA, but you guys have definitely taken a turn for the better in the last years. Dead Space, Mass Effect, Mirror's Edge, Burnout, Battlefield, etc.

derFeef

FunkyPajamas said:
I used to be so anti-EA, but you guys have definitely taken a turn for the better in the last years. Dead Space, Mass Effect, Mirror's Edge, Burnout, Battlefield, etc.
Indeed, EA and THQ are my favourites right now.

IoCaster

The Antitype said:

Hmm...

@truffle (Christina Norman)
I am celebrating 2011 by playing a Mass Effect game that will probably be released in 2011.

Sounds like they're really grinding gears at BioWare for some ME3 awesome this upcoming holiday season. :D

IoCaster said:
Hmm...

Sounds like they're really grinding gears at BioWare for some ME3 awesome this upcoming holiday season. :D

Not just Bioware. Basically every game slated for release during Holiday 2011. There's at least one HUGE game coming out from Activision around that time...and possibly another from Rockstar.

So you better have some good weapons to go to war.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
You're pumping me up guys, can't wait.

The Antitype said:
Not just Bioware. Basically every game slated for release during Holiday 2011. There's at least one HUGE game coming out from Activision around that time...and possibly another from Rockstar.

Jeez, now you're really exciting me. I also noticed the third company was censored...

Ed: Haha, nevermind!

Salz01

The Antitype said:

All I want to know is:

1. Is there a substantial visual improvement from 2 to 3?
2. Do we have to mine anything?

Salz01 said:
All I want to know is:

1. Is there a substantial visual improvement from 2 to 3?
2. Do we have to mine anything?

I'm not willing to comment on the graphics because the code I saw was unfinished. I wouldn't want someone from ME2 PR commenting on whether there's a big graphical boost in Shift 2 when the game is unfinished either.

Mining isn't exactly the kind of 'highlights' they'd include in a demo reel, so I have no idea. :lol

Lakitu

st5fu
The Antitype said:
I'm not willing to comment on the graphics because the code I saw was unfinished. I wouldn't want someone from ME2 PR commenting on whether there's a big graphical boost in Shift 2 when the game is unfinished either.

Mining isn't exactly the kind of 'highlights' they'd include in a demo reel, so I have no idea. :lol

I assume the demo reel was mainly combat stuff?

Thanks for the info by the way.

Peff

The Antitype said:

What about returning squad members? Would a random person be wise to get his/her hopes up about that :p?

Lakitu said:
I assume the demo reel was mainly combat stuff?

Thanks for the info by the way.

Yeah, combat and in-engine cinematics mostly. Some conversations, nothing that could really be used to establish context. No HUD though, so I don't know about any mechanical changes.

As for returning squad mates...yes. But I'm not going to say who, cause that's probably off limits. :D

Unicorn

The Antitype said:
Yeah, combat and in-engine cinematics mostly. Some conversations, nothing that could really be used to establish context. No HUD though, so I don't know about any mechanical changes.

As for returning squad mates...yes. But I'm not going to say who, cause that's probably off limits. :D
Good enough for me. Thanks for the info!

Top Bottom