• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Debut Trailer - Holiday 2011 - 360/PS3/PC

Kurtofan

EatChildren said:
Only the Quarians harbour a grudge against the Geth. The Geth are pretty chill.
You're right, but you got what I mean.

The Bookerman said:
I want a relationship with Samara in ME3.
Hopefully they'll fix that. They alluded to that in me2, and I hope it's possible in ME3.
You can have a relationship with Morinth, albeit a short one.

Kurtofan said:
You're right, but you got what I mean.

You can have a relationship with Morinth, albeit a short one.
yeah, didn't last very long. I did an evil walkthrough, and kept her instead of Samara.

She's a sexy evil bitch, while Samara is sexy and the lone wolf in the group. Kinda like wolverine and the xmen

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Ignis Fatuus said:
I just realized something. Don't tell me we'll have to pick between Geth or Quarians, Krogan or Turians, etc.

How lame would that be?
You'll probably have to get the Krogan and Salarians to work together, with a better chance if Wrex and Mordin are still alive.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The Bookerman said:
She's a sexy evil bitch, while Samara is sexy and the lone wolf in the group. Kinda like wolverine and the xmen

Also, boobs.

masterkajo

Gui_PT said:
The hell are you talking about? It's one of the coolest things in the game.

Really? I liked it too at first but when you look at it at a deeper level it is a big let down. I understand that the more you have a renegade reputation the easier it should be to intimidate someone and that part can stay. It is just that the red and blue lines are always the best option. They should either make that not all characters respond well to being intimidated and therefore the "not blue Paragon" option would be the right one for a Renegade to get what he wants (so you actually have to think and feel the person) or at least make the Paragon/Renegade options not all red and blue but rather just be there if you got enough and otherwise you wouldn't know there was one. That why it makes more sense IMO.

gillFTR

Gui_PT said:
The hell are you talking about? It's one of the coolest things in the game.

It makes no sense its fucken contrived...I have a problem when illusive man sends me on a mission knowing it's a suicide mission and when I survive to comeback from it...I tell him do that again and I'll kill you and thats the renegade(evil) option?!?. Being a certain amount of paragon/renegade will only unlock certain speech options. So now the game is forcing me to play within certain confine within my interaction between other characters.

Your interaction between characters and certain choices should affect interaction between characters you meet in the future not your paragon/renegade meters which then goes on to unlock speech options. Then again ME2's actual RPG aspect was really weak because I did not see the fruition of the choices I made in ME1 to affect ME2 in the way of the story. The choices I made in ME1 only really were cosmetic in ME2, but I guess they couldn't do anything to the plot because each playthrough would be drastically different. Since ME3 is the last of the trilogy the choices I made in each game from before better have a huge impact on the story since they won't be worrying about staying in the confines of a singular story arch for a sequel.

The Witcher was able to do all this.

Lo-Volt

If Samara is invited to the paramour party, could BioWare also remember Joker this time
And if I may be so bold, he'd be a great bromance option. Do it, BioWare.
I'm a little disappointed that a character who has really improved in ME2 could remain in the background in the third game, especially that he's more interesting to interact with now than in the first game. He's very important to Shepard, he's hardly unattractive, and he is more physically able, so what's the problem here?

And wouldn't re-using the charm-intimidate system from the first game solve that problem? So long as you invest in the skill enough, you could talk to someone however you wanted depending on the situation instead of the 'preordained' actions seen in ME2. (I also somewhat disliked that I felt like I 'had to' only act one way no matter how I felt about the person I was interacting with.)

Gui_PT

You guise should go work at Bioware.

I like how it works. You have to earn your share of paragon/renegade points before you get to see or use the colored options.

Opinions, I guess.

Edit: I know what you guys are saying though.

Edit 2: I was talking about the charm/intimidate system, which I consider to be better.

gillFTR

Gui_PT said:
You guise should go work at Bioware.

I like how it works. You have to earn your share of paragon/renegade points before you get to see or use the colored options.

Opinions, I guess.

Edit: I know what you guys are saying though.

It's like Lo-volt pointed out before, I didn't mind it ME1 because we could invest our points into charm/intimidate. It's in ME2 where I started disliking it. As I said when I'm playing an RPG I want to say and make the choices I want to, but the paragon/renegade speech options which are usually the best force a player to choose between paragon and renegade.

Gui_PT

gillFTR said:
It's like Lo-volt pointed out before, I didn't mind it ME1 because we could invest our points into charm/intimidate. It's in ME2 where I started disliking it. As I said when I'm playing an RPG I want to say and make the choices I want to, but the paragon/renegade speech options which are usually the best force a player to choose between paragon and renegade.

I agree with that. My bad for not explaining myself properly.

Kurtofan

gillFTR said:
Take the neutral option, nobody forces you to choose anything

Zen

Banned
Arjen said:
What makes you think it will be on earth only?
It will probably be the endgame.
Calm the fuck down people, we hardly know anything about the game.

It's going to be another one of those 'then end is known at the beginning' type of stories that made ME2 pretty lame.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I definitely like it more in ME2.

I was using it in ME1 without really investing myself in choices. Like let's put some points in there so I can intimidate fuckers later and get some renegade points.

Here I started as a renegade character and wanted to do it renegade way but being asshole just because I wanted renegade points sucked (also Shepard was getting ugly so fast). It actually added more plausibility and integrity to the character. It felt less gamey.

gillFTR

Kurtofan said:

I take the option that I would choose as commander shepard. All I was saying is, it sucks that these speech options are restricted for me because I'm not going full paragon or renegade.

gillFTR said:
I take the option that I would choose as commander shepard. All I was saying is, it sucks that these speech options are restricted for me because I'm not going full paragon or renegade.
Hey welcome to an RPG, you don't have access to every option/mechanics at all times.

Kurtofan said:

It more or less did if you wanted to keep the loyalty of all your companions, as without a maxed out meter you wouldn't be able to resolve the second party member argument.

By playing it down the middle you would lose someone's loyalty at the end.

gillFTR

subversus said:
I definitely like it more in ME2.

I was using it in ME1 without really investing myself in choices. Like let's put some points in there so I can intimidate fuckers later and get some renegade points.

Here I started as a renegade character and wanted to do it renegade way but being asshole just because I wanted renegade points sucked (also Shepard was getting ugly so fast). It actually added more plausibility and integrity to the character. It felt less gamey.

Hmph I see your point of view...I guess I approach RPG's totally different from you.

Kurtofan

Confidence Man said:
It more or less did if you wanted to keep the loyalty of all your companions, as without a maxed out meter you wouldn't be able to resolve the second party member argument.

By playing it down the middle you would lose someone's loyalty at the end.
You have to make choices, that's the point.
You can finish the game with some dead teamates.

gillFTR

Lostconfused said:
Hey welcome to an RPG, you don't have access to every option/mechanics at all times.

but if I went full paragon or renegade I could have the loyalty of everyone, but if I didn't or stayed neutral I would like the lose 1 or 2 peoples loyalty by the end.

gillFTR

Kurtofan said:
You can finish the game with some dead teamates.

I agree, but as a neutral or slightly paragon should I not have the same chance because I did not make the choices within the pre-confined paths of paragon/renegade instead I made choices as me .

Kurtofan said:

What do moral/ethical choices have to do with being able to convince someone of something?

Persuasion should be a skill that you choose to invest in or not, it shouldn't be tied into whether I've been an asshole for the whole game or not. It benefits you to play to an extreme, but there isn't any benefit to playing it down the middle. What kind of a choice is that?

gillFTR

Confidence Man said:
What do moral/ethical choices have to do with being able to convince someone of something?

Persuasion should be a skill that you choose to invest in or not, it shouldn't be tied into whether I've been an asshole for the whole game or not. It benefits you to play to an extreme, but there isn't any benefit to playing it down the middle. What kind of a choice is that?

Exactly.

Kurtofan

Confidence Man said:

Playing down the middle has less benefit because it's less convincing by definition.
It's your choice and you can finish the game anyway.

IoCaster

gillFTR said:

Which para/ren dialogue branch really bothered you? Obviously the Miranda vs Jack* and Legion vs Tali** choices would probably count, but other than those two what problems did you have?

*This resolution is weighted toward the renegade choice.
**This one is weighted toward the paragon choice.

By this I mean that the weighted choice is easier and requires less para/ren points. As far as the Jack vs Miranda conflict is concerned it's better to get it done early since less para/ren points will be required.

Explaining the basics:

The way it works is that every time you enter a location the game tallies all available para/ren points for the area. That includes trivial encounters or decisions like "favorite store on the Citadel", the idiot kid on Archangel recruit mission and so on. The game keeps a running tally of points acquired/missed and you can't make those points up. If you missed or ignored those opportunities you fall behind on possible para/ren score and it makes it difficult to get those dialogue options late in the game. It's not the best system by any stretch, but it works for the most part. There is certainly an advantage to importing an ME save with the para/ren score bonus to ease things along.

If you go to the BioWare forums and search for posts by Kim Stolz you'll find a much better and informed explanation about how the persuade system works in ME3 ME2.

gillFTR

IoCaster said:
Which para/ren dialogue branch really bothered you? Obviously the Miranda vs Jack* and Legion vs Tali** choices would probably count, but other than those two what problems did you have?

*This resolution is weighted toward the renegade choice.
**This one is weighted toward the paragon choice.

By this I mean that the weighted choice is easier and requires less para/ren points. As far as the Jack vs Miranda conflict is concerned it's better to get it done early since less para/ren points will be required.

Explaining the basics:

The way it works is that every time you enter a location the game tallies all available para/ren points for the area. That includes trivial encounters or decisions like "favorite store on the Citadel", the idiot kid on Archangel recruit mission and so on. The game keeps a running tally of points acquired/missed and you can't make those points up. If you missed or ignored those opportunities you fall behind on possible para/ren score and it makes it difficult to get those dialogue options late in the game. It's not the best system by any stretch, but it works for the most part. There is certainly an advantage to importing an ME save with the para/ren score bonus to ease things along.

If you go to the BioWare forums and search for posts by Kim Stolz you'll find a much better and informed explanation about how the persuade system works in ME3.

It wasn't a certain branch, but like you said the system isn't perfect and none are. I'm a huge fan of ME and Bioware, but The Witcher's system happens to be better(maybe its just personal opinion I don't know because it seems me I might be getting tired of the Bioware formula).

Also thanks I'm happy to hear about the persuade system changes.

IoCaster

gillFTR said:
It wasn't a certain branch, but like you said the system isn't perfect and none are. I'm a huge fan of ME and Bioware, but The Witcher's system happens to be better(maybe its just personal opinion I don't know because it seems me I might be getting tired of the Bioware formula).

Also thanks I'm happy to hear about the persuade system changes.

I edited my original post to correct an error. I meant to type ME2 for the Kim Stolz explanation info.

gillFTR

IoCaster said:
I edited my original post to correct an error. I meant to type ME2 for the Kim Stolz explanation info.
Well still good as I will be playing through ME2 again on my PS3, so Ill try to max my morality as much as I can while I make my choices.

IoCaster

gillFTR said:
Well still good as I will be playing through ME2 again on my PS3, so Ill try to max my morality as much as I can while I make my choices.

You can still play a fairly evenly balanced game as long as you try to max getting all available para/ren points in every location. It's obviously easier to do with the ME import save bonuses, but you don't really have to get too extreme with being a total douche or anything. If you do a completionist type of playthrough there are enough extra para/ren points available to give you a cushion. There's also at least one sidequest
N7: Javelin Launch
that can score you some para/ren points.

IoCaster

Gui_PT said:
Do you know which choice gives you the most paragon points?

Save the colonists gives you paragon points. If you choose to save the spaceport you'll get renegade points instead.

mokeyjoe

gillFTR said:
I agree, but as a neutral or slightly paragon should I not have the same chance because I did not make the choices within the pre-confined paths of paragon/renegade instead I made choices as me .

I don't think you should have the same chances, but I think this could be rectified by putting in some negative aspect to going too 'nice' or too 'nasty' as well as the positives. For example having teammates who only respond to Paragon or to Renegade options, so yu might lose their loyalty if you concentrate too much on one and not the other. Tali's pretty much 100% good for instance, I wouldn't think she'd stick around if you're a dick, whereas Zaeed is the definition of Renegade and would probably not take you seriously as a boy (or girl) scout.

Like most things in ME it's not perfect but I wouldn't want them to get rid of it, just refine it.

Gui_PT

Semi related question.

Does anyone know where I can get some good Mass Effect-ish music?

Working on a video where that kind of music would fit perfectly, but can't find anything decent.

Mindlog

Gui_PT said:
Semi related question.

Working on a video where that kind of music would fit perfectly, but can't find anything decent.

Can you name a specific track you are looking to emulate?

Vengelis and Solar Field both provide a bunch of synth heavy atmospheric music.

LCfiner

Gui_PT said:
Semi related question.

Tron Legacy soundtrack. :D

LiK

Gui_PT said:
Semi related question.

Blade Runner OST. ME's music was basically influenced by it.

Gui_PT

Mindlog said:
Can you name a specific track you are looking to emulate?

Vengelis and Solar Field both provide a bunch of synth heavy atmospheric music.

Those are great, thank you.

LCfiner said:
Tron Legacy soundtrack. :D

LiK said:
Blade Runner OST. ME's music was basically influenced by it.

Thank you. I considered both options but I don't want something immediately recognizable, which would somewhat diminish the work behind the rest of the video.

I'm interested in something like this , with a retro feel.

Lime

Gui_PT said:
Semi related question.

Check out:

Tangerine Dream
Klaus Schulze
Jean Michel Jarre
Vangelis

Mindlog

Gui_PT said:
I'm interested in something like this , with a retro feel.
That track is all over the place :]

One of the riffs is a direct homage to the Vangelis Bladerunner theme. I don't have my list with me so one or two bands are escaping me.

Off the top of my head the only other unmentioned orchestral-synth-sometimes retro-cinema styled group I can think of is, In the Nursery.

Hymn Noir
L'Esprit
some others

dankir

Mindlog said:

One of the riffs is a direct homage to the Vangelis Bladerunner theme. I don't have my list with me so one or two bands are escaping me.

Off the top of my head the only other unmentioned orchestral-synth-sometimes retro-cinema styled group I can think of is, In the Nursery.

Hymn Noir
L'Esprit
some others

Wow that Hymn Noir should just be a Mass Effect song, wow!

Gui_PT

Mindlog said:
Hymn Noir
L'Esprit
some others

The Bookerman said:
Tron Legacy: Disc Wars

This shit gives me goosebumps. Not joking.

Much appreciated guys. That helped a lot :D

Top Bottom