• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Debut Trailer - Holiday 2011 - 360/PS3/PC

Patryn

Major Williams said:
I didn't buy any of the DLC for ME 2, shouhld I buy them all? Or were some a bust? Did they raise the level cap in any of the DLCs? All of this ME3 talk makes me hyped...

The overarching plot of ME is advanced more in Lair of the Shadow Broker than it is in ME2 proper.

LiK

Gui_PT said:
How much would all the DLC cost me? Do you have an idea?

Kasumi: Stolen Memory is $7
Overlord is $7
Lair of Shadowbroker is $10

I didn't think they were overpriced from what I played.

LiK said:
Kasumi: Stolen Memory is $7
Overlord is $7
Lair of Shadowbroker is $10

I didn't think they were overpriced from what I played.
K so $24 so far... geez, I can get the original game for $10 on Amazon.

However, are any of the weapon packs good? I believe I had the Soldier class.

LiK

Major Williams said:

i didn't buy any of the weapon or costume packs. i didn't think the free DLC weapons were that good compared to the default ones so i can't comment. i played as a Soldier too.

Red

Major Williams said:

Heavy weapons pack is basically the only one "worth buying." Unique gear, pretty powerful as well.

Had to put worth buying in quotes because even if it's good, you're still paying extra for a weapons pack.

Zen

Banned
I've bought Lair of the Shadow Broker and Overlord. If it showed me anything, it's that Mass Effect, particularly Mass Effect 2 because of the more shallow RPG elements, lives and dies by my investment to the narrative.

Overlord was definitely the 'best' mechanically, and I did have fun shooting things to cool music, but I sort of did the whole thing half awake, and the end narrative punch didn't really work for me, and there we only so many samey combat encounters I could do before I got kind of bored (same with parts of LoTSB).

LotSB though, as one of the few people that really liked Liara from ME1, the writing was very mature aside from the comical dialogue during combat, and I ended up I loving it.

So after doing some reading, and I know this has very little to do with ME3 proper, but I figured its in the same vein -

If I buy the Firepower DLC, can I use those weapons when I first begin playing if I start a new game? Or do I have to wait until later?

LiK

Zen said:
If you get the game used on amazon, you'll have to pay for a cerberus pass, won't you?
Probably, unless they specify the Cerberus Pass is included. The Pass is $15 if they need it.

Patryn

Thunder Monkey said:
Hell I bought mine at Wal-Mart and the Cerberus code was free.

It's included free of charge to late adopters. $20 for the game with freebies.

Did you buy used? That's the operative word in his question.

Patryn said:
Did you buy used? That's the operative word in his question.
Nope.

Wal-Mart doesn't sell used... yet.

Just buy it new dude. $20 ain't gonna hurt much more then $10. And you get to rub it in peoples faces. You might be late, but you get it for much cheaper, and get more free.

I really feel bad for people that pay $60 for games.

$20 for going on 60 hours of gameplay almost seems criminal.

Dilly

Banned
Kurtofan said:
What?
It's the best DLC of the game.

It is a great DLC pack, but it feels weird that it's DLC and not actual game content.

Shadow broker was an important part of the ME universe.

Dilly said:
It is a great DLC pack, but it feels weird that it's DLC and not actual game content.

Shadow broker was an important part of the ME universe.
It was cut from the original game, probably due to time constraints. Prior to LotSB's release people already found cut sound files in the game files that showed as much.

The Aegis and Firepower pack are pretty good. The Kestrel armor you get from the first and the weapons you get from the latter are great additions to the vanilla sets. The Kestrel Armor also isn't one of those stupid one-piece armors but a bunch of individual armor pieces, which is a nice bonus.

DuckRacer

So some guy on twitter asked Yvonne Strahovski (actress who Miranda is modeled after and voiced by) if she's doing anything for ME3. Response:

@Y_Strahovski Are you allowed to say if you're doing a Mass Effect 3 voice over? We're dying to know.
@Snacpack no... But I'm doing The Third Birthday... :)
http://twitter.com/Y_Strahovski/status/14825336789274624

So unless she recorded all of the dialog for ME3 during ME2's development BioWare is dropping characters completely. welp

DuckRacer

EmCeeGramr said:
Or she's responding to the question of whether she's allowed to say if she's doing voice work.
True (and you're probably right), but if she were actually contributing anything I would think she'd say, well, "can't say" instead of a flat "no."

Peff

DuckRacer said:
True (and you're probably right), but if she were actually contributing anything I would think she'd say, well, "can't say" instead of a flat "no."

I think so too, especially because of the PE3 bit. Oh, well, maybe using both her image and voice is too much money for even a cameo, but it'd still be stupid. Or maybe they haven't called her yet.

duckroll

DuckRacer said:

I think you're reading way too much into twitter messages. :p

I wonder who she's voicing in The 3rd Birthday though... Gabriel?

DuckRacer said:
So some guy on twitter asked Yvonne Strahovski (actress who Miranda is modeled after and voiced by) if she's doing anything for ME3. Response:

http://twitter.com/Y_Strahovski/status/14825336789274624

So unless she recorded all of the dialog for ME3 during ME2's development BioWare is dropping characters completely. welp

He ask "Are you allowed?"

And she says no.

Pretty self explanatory.

She will be in the game, no doubt.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Major Williams said:

Weapons are godly. There's also a modular suit, if you hate monolithic "everybody still recoginze me even in the helmet" suits.

Red

DuckRacer said:
"Can't say" is a "yes." If she wasn't associated with the project, what would be preventing her from denying it?

Come to think of it, "no" implies the same thing.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That post also has this added to it now.

Edit: Earlier today one of BioWare’s volunteer moderators answered a question about the possibility of multiplayer in Mass Effect 3. That statement was not official. BioWare has not discussed any features for Mass Effect 3. We look forward to sharing more next year.

I think it'd be an incredible achievement if there IS no MP in this game, but I doubt it.

Wiggum2007

Chinner said:
if the moderator is actually part of the development team, then fair play.

subversus said:
omg YES!!!!!!!!!!1

edit: well, it's not official, but I think it's official if you know what I mean.

Read this:

chandoog said:

Edit: Earlier today one of BioWare’s volunteer moderators answered a question about the possibility of multiplayer in Mass Effect 3. That statement was not official. BioWare has not discussed any features for Mass Effect 3. We look forward to sharing more next year.

I think it'd be an incredible achievement if there IS no MP in this game, but I doubt it.

The members that post as "Moderators" on the Bioware forums aren't Bioware employees, who post as "Developers". So the Moderator that posted that was probably just making an assumption.

Chinner

Banned
Wiggum2007 said:
Read this:

The members that post as "Moderators" on the Bioware forums aren't Bioware employees, who post as "Developers". So the Moderator that posted that was probably just making an assumption.
figured just as much

butsomuch

Mass Effect 3 to Feature Timed Dialogue?
Hip Hop Gamer: There's something I really like about Mass Effect, when you're talking with people you can choose what you want to say and make it more personal. I like that you can do that, but I didn't like that there's no time limit. I can fall asleep and the person will just be standing there with no answer. There's a game, Alpha Protocol, that gives you that pressure, you'll have to answer it real quick. Will we see that in Mass Effect 3, to add more intensity and realism to confrontations?

Muzyka: Yes. I think it adds a sense of visceral excitement to the experience, it's really critical. There's various ways to do that, but that's always real cool.
Zeschuk (on multiplayer): I can verify one thing, there's shooting in Mass Effect 3.

Muzyka: Y'know, if we integrate features that are brand new innovations for the franchise and platforms that we've worked on in the past we always try to make sure they're integrated really, really well.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Hell yeah. Totally a sweet feature added in Alpha Protocol.

Just configged up Mass Effect for another run through, first on my new TV and it still looks stunning most of the time.

<3 forced AA.

Paragon/Renegade action was already getting close to what Alpha Protocol did. But just copying the entire conversation system is not going to work for mass effect. All conversations in AP were one time only and were never repeated. Having a time limit in a dialog three that you are going to go through fives times or more is not an improvement.

X-Frame

They need to make it so that SKIPPING through the dialogue isn't the same button that also selects a dialogue option.

I tried my best to skip through quickly and time it so that I stopped at the point where it was my turn to talk, only for me to choose something I didn't want to choose. Not a huge deal, but I don't feel like sitting around for long conversations when I'm on my 10th playthrough of ME3.

Cipher

X-Frame said:
They need to make it so that SKIPPING through the dialogue isn't the same button that also selects a dialogue option.

I tried my best to skip through quickly and time it so that I stopped at the point where it was my turn to talk, only for me to choose something I didn't want to choose. Not a huge deal, but I don't feel like sitting around for long conversations when I'm on my 10th playthrough of ME3.

I got to the point when hammering on X to skip dialogue I was moving the left stick to the option I wanted my Sheppard to pick so I didn't really have that problem. I also played it way too many times to memorize what my options were.

Top Bottom