• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Debut Trailer - Holiday 2011 - 360/PS3/PC

Wiggum2007

Am I the only one who purposefully kills characters during the suicide mission? :lol Jack, Samara, and Jacob never survive in my personal ME universe, good riddance! edit: and sometimes Thane, his embarrassing awkward acid flashbacks start to get on my nerves.

Wiggum2007 said:
Am I the only one who purposefully kills characters during the suicide mission? :lol Jack, Samara, and Jacob never survive in my personal ME universe, good riddance!

Jacob shouldn't have survived his concept art

Kurtofan

Lostconfused said:
No that part is pretty clear. My point was that story went from.

Sheppard: "What do you want from us"
Sovereign: "You couldn't possibly understand"

To

Harbinger: "We want to turn you into goo"

If they talked up the Reapers so much that they couldn't possibly provide at least a somewhat decent explanation, they should have just left it a mystery.
When Sovereign meets Shepard, he's still unknown to the Reapers.
Then Shepard kills Sovereign,saves the galaxy comes back from the dead etc...
Harbinger knows that Shepard is a threat.

Yasae

Banned
Patryn said:
Reapers = Robot Cthulu.

That's all you need to know.
Exactly.

"Don't worry your tiny little head about it.

- Thanks, BioWare"

Patryn said:
I hope they'll take them and realize that maybe they need to give extra attention to the lesser-played classes. (I speak as a person who plays almost the most unpopular combination: FemShep Engineer)
Ah yes, the first class choice I made. Kinda weak, and the drones left a lot to be desired. There's plenty which could be done with the class.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Not bad. Hope they don't pull a Ubisoft tho

Just gotta make the PC version support the 360 controller natively and I shall finally play this series on it. Some of the technical issues on 360 did piss me off

-viper-

Banned
how long does it take to complete Mass Effect 2? I had the first one but lost my gamesave and got bored. So I might buy the second one on the PS3 if it doesn't take too much time to complete....

Subitai

-viper- said:
how long does it take to complete Mass Effect 2? I had the first one but lost my gamesave and got bored. So I might buy the second one on the PS3 if it doesn't take too much time to complete....
I'd say 35hrs on easy if you don't do side quests, but do all the loyalty quests. If you put it on easy, you might become bored though. Except for my 1st run, I've done all insanity runs and they usually take 50-55hrs.

Kurtofan said:
When Sovereign meets Shepard, he's still unknown to the Reapers.
Then Shepard kills Sovereign,saves the galaxy comes back from the dead etc...
Harbinger knows that Shepard is a threat.
That just part of silly player fellating that has to happen in most games apparently. Its absurd to think that not a single Reaper was damaged or destroyed when they wiped out the Protheans.

Also you would think that a race of advanced machines would figure out to stop trying a failing strategy again and again. The Keepers didn't work so their first attempt at invasion was stopped. The Collectors got wiped out without ever getting close to accomplishing their goals. But what the hell lets give it another shot with humans, third times the charm right. Right?

IoCaster

Wiggum2007 said:
Am I the only one who purposefully kills characters during the suicide mission? :lol Jack, Samara, and Jacob never survive in my personal ME universe, good riddance! edit: and sometimes Thane, his embarrassing awkward acid flashbacks start to get on my nerves.

It's the only way to roll. I've got a save file ready with Legion sold, Grunt stewing in his tube and everyone else dead except Tali, Garrus and Chakwas. I can't wait to see how BioWare handles that shit.

-viper-

Banned
so it's a game which takes forever to complete....

(yeah, i prefer short games - don't have time to play RPGs and open world games). it's a shame, because mass effect looks like the only interesting RPG game :p

derFeef

-viper- said:

(yeah, i prefer short games - don't have time to play RPGs and open world games). it's a shame, because mass effect looks like the only interesting RPG game :p
It is totally up to you. I don't know what the fastest playthrough time is, but I guess you can do it in half the time if you skip a lot of stuff. (but the outcome may be nasty)

Edit: Also what Gui said. I played ME2 over two months and only when I had the time for it. It always felt so goddamn awesome to jump right back into Shepards shoes and continue the mission.

Gui_PT

-viper- said:

You could play like 2 hours a day. It's not like you have to finish the game in a week or something.

I took my sweet time when I first got ME1, and it felt goooooood.

MysticX

frakking epic man, now, this christmas is ruined as I eagerly await the next christmas! shame on you neogaf.

and yes, play ME1, then import your sheep to ME2.

Any idea on what the Brit was shooting at?

Also, if you listen to the trailer as if it were Shepard speaking in third person, the trailer becomes immensely more funny.

LCfiner

Major Williams said:
Any idea on what the Brit was shooting at?

Also, if you listen to the trailer as if it were Shepard speaking in third person, the trailer becomes immensely more funny.

I think it was a husk

Fitz

LCfiner said:
I think it was a husk

It's definitely humanoid, but I could swear I saw a tail. A husk would be pretty likely though.

Oh, scrap that tail theory, it just falls in a way that makes it's leg look like a tail for a split second, definitely going with husk.

Gui_PT said:
I wonder what excuse they'll think of to make Sheppard go look for another team
They stopped caring about the Universe and were more motivated to do other things...

Or a Reaper comes and destroys your ship again.

The bigger question is, why are you going to have to re-structure you face?

Gui_PT

Lakitu said:
They all contracted space herpes

I'd buy that explanation :lol

Major Williams said:
They stopped caring about the Universe and were more motivated to do other things...

Or a Reaper comes and destroys your ship again.

The bigger question is, why are you going to have to re-structure you face?

Maybe Sheppard has low self-esteem?

Haunted

Gui_PT said:
I wonder what excuse they'll think of to make Sheppard go look for another team
Abandoning your teammates would truly render the second game's plot completely and utterly useless.

Recruiting your team and getting to know these people is the whole point of the game. We learn so little about everything else over the tens of hours we spend in ME2, it's almost comical.

What does ME2 actually do?
  • introducing Cerberus (which is basically useless because the Shadowbroker could've taken that role just as well)
  • showing the Reapers' attempt to assimiliate instead of outright destruction (already hinted at in ME1, could be shown very easily)
  • setting up the Quarian/Geth situation (the only fucking thing with actual possible consequences for the overarching plot)

Haunted said:
Abandoning your teammates would truly render the second game's plot completely and utterly useless.
Unless they have to stay with Miranda to finish a separate op and you have to take Mordin with you to finish something hilarious, then meet back up with your team at the end

Lo-Volt

Wiggum2007 said:

No, you aren't. I took care of Jacob and Jack with one of my Shepards, with a similar impulse in each. The other two completed their missions without casualties.

IoCaster

Haunted said:

Yeah, it's funny how they set it up that way since it's the most likely scenario. Suicide mission indeed. :lol

Wiggum2007

So remember how Vigil talked about how the Reapers used indoctrinated Protheans as sleeper agents to infiltrate surviving groups of refugees?

It'd be great if one of your ME3 squad members was actually secretly indoctrinated and turned on you at some point later in the game. Though I'm not sure how much I'd trust Bioware to handle a plot point like that without completely telegraphing it beforehand or something.

LCfiner

Haunted said:

Recruiting your team and getting to know these people is the whole point of the game. We learn so little about everything else over the tens of hours we spend in ME2, it's almost comical.
  • introducing Cerberus (useless because the Shadowbroker could've taken that role just as well)
  • Reapers attempt to assimiliate instead of outright destruction (already hinted at in ME1, could've been introduced very quickly)
  • setting up the Quarian/Geth situation (aside from your squadmates, the only fucking thing with actual possible consequences)

I suspect that we won’t have the same crew members but that the ones who are alive from ME2 will help your cause in rallying support against the reaper invasion and improve your odds of saving earth. they’ll show up but not on your team

so, if you let them all die in ME2, earth is fuuuuuucked.

Gui_PT

The Reapers won't obviously only attack the earth. So maybe all of your team members are protecting their own planets.

Obviously Sheppard must recruit a team of space-hobos who, by definition, don't have a home to protect. Therefore joining Sheppard in the fight for Earth.

Red

Wiggum2007 said:
So remember how Vigil talked about how the Reapers used indoctrinated Protheans as sleeper agents to infiltrate surviving groups of refugees?

It'd be great if one of your ME3 squad members was actually secretly indoctrinated and turned on you at some point later in the game. Though I'm not sure how much I'd trust Bioware to handle a plot point like that without completely telegraphing it beforehand or something.
Would be cool if that had to do with decisions made by the player. Something like the twist in GTAIV where
either Roman or that ugly girl dies depending on a choice earlier in the game.
Could turn out being pretty effective if your romantic interest ends up being killed or indoctrinated because of something seemingly unrelated.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Wiggum2007 said:

I like this. And to respond to the guy talking about keeping the infrastructure at the end of the game, I too was kinda miffed when damn near everybody berated me for preserving it as if I objectively chose the wrong thing. I mainly chose that option because I found the potential story repercussions more interesting so I hope it doesn't just get swept under the rug.

IoCaster

LCfiner said:
I suspect that we won’t have the same crew members but that the ones who are alive from ME2 will help your cause in rallying support against the reaper invasion and improve your odds of saving earth. they’ll show up but not on your team

so, if you let them all die in ME2, earth is fuuuuuucked.

It would be pretty damn cool, but it'll never happen. EA/BioWare are not in the business of punishing a player for making valid gameplay choices that they themselves set up. It's certainly easy to get everyone out alive even if it takes a couple of attempts. The problem is that it's a perfectly valid option within the game to create a bloodbath scenario where you're left with only two surviving squad members. That has to be accounted for or they've seriously screwed up. It'll be a kick in the balls if I load a save up and get some message that it's not a valid save because Miranda or Legion ate a rocket.

Cipher

Finally figured out who the guy in the trailer looked like to me.

Ty Olsson.

ty-olsson-profile.jpg

LCfiner

IoCaster said:
It would be pretty damn cool, but it'll never happen. EA/BioWare are not in the business of punishing a player for making valid gameplay choices that they themselves set up. It's certainly easy to get everyone out alive even if it takes a couple of attempts. The problem is that it's a perfectly valid option within the game to create a bloodbath scenario where you're left with only two surviving squad members. That has to be accounted for or they've seriously screwed up. It'll be a kick in the balls if I load a save up and get some message that it's not a valid save because Miranda or Legion ate a rocket.

I’m not suggesting that they’d refuse to load your save because some people in your old team died.

just that it would require more effort to save earth (or, say, the galaxy) in ME3 if your old team is mostly dead.

but, that said, I don’t actually believe that Bioware will do this. I think it would be cool but I suspect the link to ME2 will be superficial at best (can’t wait to get another passive aggressive email from jack that I can immediately delete)

besides we all know it’s the Rachni that are key to saving earth.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
-viper- said:
I beat it in 18 hours. I don't feel like I rushed through it either. I didn't do everything, not in the least, but I got all that I wanted from the game.

gdt

It took me 53 hours to beat the game, that's minus Shadowbroker (57 with SB). Did all of the sidequests (unless I missed one, of course).

<3 ME2.

Wiggum2007

Took me 50 hours first playthrough too, taking my time and doing everything. Compared to 30 hours for my first playthrough of ME1.

Linkzg said:
This means Bioware has three big games in 2011

Dragon Age 2
Star Wars Old Republic
Mass Effect 3

but I think ME3 will be delayed. w/e 2011 is crazy.
I doubt it. ME3 is huge for Bioware's bottom line in 2011. I doubt they will allow it to get delayed.

gdt

Solo said:
The fuck? I did every last thing in the game and beat it in 26 hours.

I have no idea :lol . It's not like I just stared at walls.

Sure, scanned most of the planets, but even that doesn't add up to more than 3 hours...I really have no clue! :lol

Yasae

Banned
gdt5016 said:

Sure, scanned most of the planets, but even that doesn't add up to more than 3 hours...I really have no clue! :lol
Jerkin' it to Miranda: 20 hours

Wiggum2007

gdt5016 said:

It appears you and I are in the minority.

Maybe it was the extra 20 hours I spent just keeping the game idle with Miranda's ass on screen.

edit: HEY!!!!^^^^^^^

Top Bottom