• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Land - A GameBoy De-make [Update: Demo Released Post 22]

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
z6L5A.png

Gameplay video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dmHjdUere4

This is a de-make by Dan Fornace for PC, and it kicks total ass. He's releasing the demo on Friday. I'll spare you my full-blown impressions of the game, but I'll say this: it's incredibly fun.

FoneBone

TunaLover said:
Awesome, someone should make it in rom form, to play in a gba emulator =)
This isn't actually a GB game - it's just designed to look like one.

Is there a B&W option? Much more aesthetically appealing in my book, even if it's less authentic.

Glix

Incredible work. Could it actually work in a game boy emu as a rom, or is it too much for the hardware?

If its just in the GB style, but too ambitious for the hardware, that is not as cool.

Platy

Awesome ! =D
But i was expecting to use the mario land sprite =P

VGChampion said:
All that and they don't do a character vs. screen. Bleh.

I think it is MUCH more bizarre to use kirby as one of the first chars and don't let him have a copy move =P

Awesome, someone should make it in rom form, to play in a gba emulator =)

Or a wii/ds homebrew version to make it even more awesome xD

stuminus3

Platy said:
I think it is MUCH more bizarre to use kirby as one of the first chars and don't let him have a copy move
That makes it authentic, Kirby didn't have a copy ability in the original GB Kirby's Dream Land game either.

Haunted

Kinda unrelated, but I'm probably the only one who absolutely hates the original GameBoy's colour scheme. It's borderline offensive to me.

nli10

The motion bleed on the original brick would make this unplayable, but I'd pop it in my SP. :p Excellent effort!

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I wrote up impressions of the game on my blog for anyone that wants anymore info on it.

There are definitely some issues, like the fact that it only uses two buttons. But, largely, it's incredibly fun to play. Also, this isn't an actual GB game. It's a PC game made to look like a GB game.

OnPoint

Dacvak said:
I wrote up impressions of the game on my blog for anyone that wants anymore info on it.

There are definitely some issues, like the fact that it only uses two buttons. But, largely, it's incredibly fun to play. Also, this isn't an actual GB game. It's a PC game made to look like a GB game.

I cited you in the small write-up I just did on this.

DMG-01

The thread title lead me to believe that this would be playable on the actual Game Boy hardware, and got me really excited; Smash Bros. for the Game Boy has been a dream project of mine for a while now, but I don't have the knowledge/OS for Game Boy development, so I'm glad someone is doing this (even if it's only a Game Boy game in heart).

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I like the style, but the game is a bit hard to play. I wish they just made it up to jump like it was in the N64 version, so you didn't have a button sharing both jump and an attack modifier.

Big One

Banned
Cool idea, but personally I think they should size the characters down to their GB versions. Like Link should look more like Link's Awakening Link and have some moves based off that. Same with Samus and Metroid II. Just an idea at least.

Top Bottom