• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(WSJ) At Banks, New Fees on debit, credit cards, checking accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
Chase is about to fuck me over and way to go pro regulation champions.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...26390.html?mod=WSJ_hp_LEFTWhatsNewsCollection

Banks, in an attempt to wring more revenue out of customer accounts, are conjuring up new ways to raise fees on basic products like debit cards, cash machines and checking accounts.

As regulation curtailing financial institutions from levying certain charges on consumers has mounted over the past year, banks have had to dream up new fees to replace those now trimmed by laws. Credit-card users have experienced new inactivity fees and foreign-exchange charges, while checking accounts have gotten hit with new monthly maintenance fees.

Banks are considering additional fees on credit cards and checking accounts. But they also are looking at new ways to make money on cash machines and especially debit cards as regulators pinch the cards' conventional revenue streams.

To counter that lost revenue, banks are thinking about imposing annual fees of $25 or $30 on debit cards, according to people familiar with bank strategies. Some also considering limiting the number of debit-card transactions that a customer can make each month, these people said. Another idea circulating in the industry: Limiting the size of a purchase that a customer could make with a debit card. At the same time, reward programs for debit cards are likely to get the ax, these people say.

New debit-card fees are "definitely a 2011 issue," says Robert Hammer, who runs a banking-industry consulting firm in Thousand Oaks, Calif. "The question is which quarter it will be and which bank will go first."

New proposals from the Federal Reserve call for limiting how much banks can charge merchants for debit-card transactions. The proposals, released last month, are part of the Dodd-Frank financial-overhaul bill that was enacted last year. The Fed has proposed capping debit-card merchant fees, known as interchange, at seven to 12 cents a transaction. That represents a drop of as much as 84% from the current average rate of 44 cents.

Banks, which for years doled out debit cards to promote electronic payments that cost less than checks to process, strongly oppose the proposals. They say the Fed is essentially making debit cards unprofitable. CardHub.com estimates that the Fed's proposal will reduce the banking industry's debit-card interchange revenue by 57% to $9.8 billion.

"Any proposal that caps debit interchange fees will increase the cost of debit cards for consumers and potentially curtail debit card use," warned Steve Bartlett, president and chief executive of the Financial Services Roundtable, in a Dec. 17 letter to Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke.

Debit cards are just one of several banking products that will carry additional fees this year. People familiar with their thinking say several banks are considering raising fees on automated-teller machines for noncustomers, which currently average $1.63 a transaction. Banks have long griped about such transactions, saying that providing cash to noncustomers isn't a priority for them.

Banks also are continuing to add fees to checking accounts, a trend that began last year. Next month, for example, customers of the former Washington Mutual will see their free checking accounts replaced by fee-based accounts from J.P. Morgan Chase & Co., which bought WaMu in 2008. Customers can avoid the fees if they meet certain criteria such as maintaining balances.

"We don't want to raise fees on our customers, but unfortunately, regulation is forcing us to do it, and as a result, some customers may end up unbanked," said a Chase spokeswoman. Bank industry executives have said the new regulations will squeeze low-income customers out of traditional banking, sending them to high-fee alternatives like check cashers and payday lenders.

Bank of America Corp., which already has started adding fees to its basic services such as checking accounts, is expected to announce more of them soon. The fees are expected to be structured based on the level of account activity and the number of financial products that a customer uses.

"If you bring us more business, you will get rewarded with better pricing," said spokesman Robert Stickler. The Charlotte, N.C. lender took a first step in this direction last year when it unveiled a new account that charges $8.95 a month if customers don't use the ATMs or the Web while banking.

The banks defend the higher fees by saying that customers can avoid many of them by maintaining monthly balances and keeping the account active. At Commerce Bancshares Inc. in Kansas City, Mo., customers who have a particular type of checking account can avoid fees as long as they keep their account active and avoid any paper-based transactions. Otherwise, they could wind up paying $2 for each check that they write. The bank said the account is geared toward customers who bank electronically.

Even some of those requirements, however, are getting tougher. Chase, the retail arm of J.P. Morgan, now requires customers to make at least one direct deposit of at least $500 to waive a monthly fee. Previously, customers could make multiple direct deposits that added up to $500 in order to get the fee waived. The bank also offers other ways to avoid a monthly fee, including keeping a minimum daily balance of $1,500.

"Direct deposit just isn't going to be good enough" to get fees waived on many checking accounts, says Chad Watkins, manager of market intelligence at Informa Research Services, a Calabasas, Calif., company that tracks the financial-services industry.

Business customers won't be immune either. Bank of the West, a San Francisco-based bank with more than $60 billion in assets and 700 branches in 19 states, recently replaced its business savings account with a new one that has new features including automatic sweeping of funds from checking to savingsaccounts. But the account also has higher fees. The monthly fee rose to $5 from $3. The bank, a unit of France's BNP Paribas, also raised the average monthly balance requirement to $500 from $300.

Chichikov

If you're not in a credit union (or similar institution) you're an idiot.
If you don't do it because of ATM fees you're an extra-idiot.
Demonstrably.

exarkun

Wow what the fuck? Chase is going to require you to deposit 500 dollars a month or get slapped with fees? 1500 dollar minimum? Goddamn. Good think I keep my college account.

Since interest rates are so low all around, it doesn't really matter. And even if you aren't in college, just say you go to a community college and then just auto-enter it for you. Easiest way to avoid all of their nonsense.

ronito said:
I'd totally rather have no regulations and let them assrape other ways.
We can trust them, man. Its just an honest industry who simply seeks to make an honest buck. The evil regulators should be put down!

Averon

Fucking banks. I was reluctantly supportive of the bailouts at first, but stuff like this just makes me think they should have be allowed to collapse.

Ripclawe

Banned
LovingSteam said:
:lol :lol :lol But the banks werent raping you and the American people already, right. LOL.

Honestly they were not.
I have free checking
no fee credit cards
free atm transaction

Treefrog

Had to close my old checking account for 5/3 and open a new one. They wanted 5 a month for identity protection. I know it's not much, but I declined. What happened to the free checking : (

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
Haha my Dad would never stand for that.
When he was in the bank the other day he told them that the bank makes enough money off of his and that bank fees were for poor people. They didn't end up making him pay :lol.

Ripclawe said:
Honestly they were not.
I have free checking
no fee credit cards
free atm transaction
LOL. Yup because these banks didnt contribute to the recession, false forclosures, sitting on trillions and refusing to loan money. You have been affected even if you are too blind to realize.

tirminyl

The hell!? My bank would hear an ear full from me, followed by me canceling my account. $8.95 charge for not using an atm or web banking :lol

To counter that lost revenue, banks are thinking about imposing annual fees of $25 or $30 on debit cards, according to people familiar with bank strategies. Some also considering limiting the number of debit-card transactions that a customer can make each month, these people said. Another idea circulating in the industry: Limiting the size of a purchase that a customer could make with a debit card. At the same time, reward programs for debit cards are likely to get the ax, these people say.

Welcome to Canada.

I pay $20 a month for unlimited transactions and a bunch of other stuff. My debit card is limited to $1000 a day, supposedly for security reasons. And I have no rewards.

Chichikov said:
If you're not in a credit union (or similar institution) you're an idiot.
If you don't do it because of ATM fees you're an extra-idiot.
Demonstrably.
What are the advantages/disadvantages of credit unions?

I'm kind of thinking about dumping Wells Fargo due to some of the shady crap they've done lately.

I guess I just admitted to being an idiot. :p

quaere

rohlfinator said:
What are the advantages/disadvantages of credit unions?
Disadvantage is their technology is often a bit outdated (like web account access stuff)
Rorschach said:
There won't be many places to go. Everyone's going this route.
I bet if you get away from retail banking there will continue to completely free checking. Schwab, ING, etc.

Sumidor

I was pretty pissed when I first heard about the new fees from Chase.. But then I realize I make a deposit of at least $500 everytime I gotta pay rent. It's still complete bullshit, but until a credit union or something else opens within walking distance of me, i'll put up with it.

I have my paycheck direct deposited into my Chase account so this doesn't really affect me. I'll be watching for anything else though.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
aswedc said:
Disadvantage is their technology is often a bit outdated (like web account access stuff)

I bet if you get away from retail banking there will continue to completely free checking. Schwab, ING, etc.
I bank at a credit union, and work at a bank. I can tell you, the technology of my CU's online banking is lightyears ahead of the bank I work. Yeah it's anecdotal, but just sayin'.

Curious, for the $500 deposit a month, couldn't you just withdraw $500, and then deposit it to avoid the fee? Assuming you had it handy to begin with that is.

DJ_Tet

Banned
I've had a back-up Bank of America account for a few years now, it's been a nice convenience. Usually don't have a lot of money in there and really don't think about it or use it very often.

Logged in last week and saw a -$16 balance. Turns out they instituted a $9 a month service charge for all accounts without a $1500 average balance or a qualifying direct deposit every month.

Thanks a lot fuckers. And I need the account, so now that privilege costs me $108+ a year.

You're welcome for the bailout. I live in Charlotte so if shit hits the fan I'm taking one of these fuckers with me.

Archer

DJ_Tet said:
I've had a back-up Bank of America account for a few years now, it's been a nice convenience. Usually don't have a lot of money in there and really don't think about it or use it very often.

Logged in last week and saw a -$16 balance. Turns out they instituted a $9 a month service charge for all accounts without a $1500 average balance or a qualifying direct deposit every month.

Thanks a lot fuckers. And I need the account, so now that privilege costs me $108+ a year.

You're welcome for the bailout. I live in Charlotte so if shit hits the fan I'm taking one of these fuckers with me.

Go to Sharonview, a credit union based in Charlotte. I've been using it for years. They're great, and no BS. I left BoA a long time ago.

Thank god for my credit union. Only downside is that they have zero presence in my current town. An online bank like ING is also a good alternative.

Chase also sucks for removing the free credit scores that WaMu provided before the merger.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Archer said:
Go to Sharonview, a credit union based in Charlotte. I've been using it for years. They're great, and no BS. I left BoA a long time ago.

I do most of my banking at the SECU and that won't change. I am going to have to evaluate exactly how and why I need a BoA account that's for sure. The luxury of that may not end up being worth $100+ a year.

Tarazet

Marty Chinn said:
Curious, for the $500 deposit a month, couldn't you just withdraw $500, and then deposit it to avoid the fee? Assuming you had it handy to begin with that is.

Typically has to be a Direct Deposit from an employer..

Marty Chinn said:

Has to be direct deposit. I should know since I tried to cash in on that $125 offer they always send in the mail (still managed to get it though).

Future

Ripclawe said:
Chase, the retail arm of J.P. Morgan, now requires customers to make at least one direct deposit of at least $500 to waive a monthly fee. Previously, customers could make multiple direct deposits that added up to $500 in order to get the fee waived

Thats fucked up. What possible difference could it make if it is one direct deposit versus multiple deposits. Must have did the numbers and found that this was the most profitable way to rip off the poor. Got a crappy job? Here's a fee! And here is another fee for being broke!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0rSXjVuJVg

reKon

Banned
staying with my credit union for life. I also have a Charterone account (not a major bank), and if they charge a $5 monthly fee if you don't do more than 5 transactions a month. Now normally this shouldn't be that big of an issue, but I use my credit union for everything =/

ToxicAdam

There is a gulf of disparity from "thinking about" to doing. So, wait until that day comes and then there will be plenty of other options for you to move your money somewhere else.

CFMOORE!

i actually recently opened a credit union account JUST so I could get a 20% discount off my car insurance. never intended to use it beyond that since i've had wells fargo for like the last 11 years. i'm not fully versed on what fees i may or may not be getting charged with them. but i might just move all my money into the CU account once my stock proceeds clear in the wells account.

br0ken_shad0w said:
Has to be direct deposit. I should know since I tried to cash in on that $125 offer they always send in the mail (still managed to get it though).

Doh, skimmed over the word direct. Damn, that sucks. Glad I'm with a credit union. Although I do have another account that's not at one.

TheQueen'sOwn said:
Haha my Dad would never stand for that.
When he was in the bank the other day he told them that the bank makes enough money off of his and that bank fees were for poor people. They didn't end up making him pay :lol.

Your dad sounds like an asshole. So the people who can't afford the fees should be the one to pay them?

Jenga

Banned
Ripclawe said:
Chase is about to fuck me over and way to go pro regulation champions.
so you blame the pro-regulation folks for your BANK trying to find new ways to fuck you over?

I mean call me crazy, but I'd just blame the banks

Seth C

br0ken_shad0w said:

You can cash in on it once per year. Have fun!

yeah chase makes me auto transfer at least 30 bucks a month to my savings and make at least 5 purchases using my debit a month so they wont charge me like 8 bucks in fees monthly.

i dont even need a savings account what the fuck

sangreal

I'm not at all a fan of the Dodd-Frank regulations, but that is not the problem here. This is due purely to Wall Street's mindset that you must have constant growth. That is the only reason they "need" to make up for the revenue lost as a result of their previous shady tactics being outlawed. The banks in question are quite profitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom