• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 Launching on PSN Day & Date with Retail

V_Ben

Banned
Mass Effect 2 for the PlayStation 3 goes on sale in stores on January 18th in North America, and will also be available in downloadable form through the PlayStation Network in North America on January 18th.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/01/12/mass-effect-2-ps3-hits-psn-and-blu-ray-on-january-18th-more-than-a-simple-port/

WHOA. Even though the port is a year after the other versions, to see it come to PSN simultaneously is kinda neat.

5349775386_778902dfd8.jpg

I guess it would be interesting to see how popular DD is on consoles. I am going to make a wild guess without any basis in reality and just say, not very.
Valkyr Junkie said:
EA getting that digital distribution goal for 2011 started early.
By kicking and screaming "no steam never, no no no"

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I hope they did not choose to sacrifice video quality for this. The demo featured some of the nastiest video compression I've seen in a while coupled with egregious tearing. Despite this, the download was nearly 3gb in size.

daoster

DMPrince said:
I wonder if it'll make a difference in loading time from HDD to disc. oh and ME3 better be on PSN also.

I think if they're doing this with ME2, it's probably a given ME3 will be on PSN.

Cruzader

Banned
I've noticed the full titled PSN games sell decent on the store...atleast based on start ratings. Not the best to go by but they get a decent amount compared to smaller PSN titles.

I know it may seem dumb to pay full price for these type of releases but there are some out there that do like having their games on their HDD.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I for one will not be getting it on PSN despite being a big supporter of games on PSN.

It's just that singleplayer games are not needed for me there. Every game I would like to quickly play multiplayer on should be on PSN though.

Anyway, good move.

Struct09

This is awesome, hope to see more publishers do this kind of thing. While the prices won't be any better than retail anytime soon, it's nice to set this precedent and have the option.

Have to confess im intrigued, wonder if you will have access to all the cerberus network stuff if you DL, im assuming the quality will be the same as the disc just you have a few extra gig sitting on your hdd

How big is this going to be? Since it was on 360 we could assume it would have to be under 9GB, but seeing as the updated the engine and stuff, could it be more?

Crisis

Banned
Given how long it takes to download things on PSN I shudder to think how long this will take. Also it's going to be $59.99 here too.

DuckRacer

DMPrince said:
I wonder if it'll make a difference in loading time from HDD to disc. oh and ME3 better be on PSN also.
If the 360 version is any indication it will.

CAG said:
Mass Effect 2: Wow.. im shocked.. it really is GREEN. I wonder why I couldn't notice before..

VERDICT: REMAINS GREEN

(Using DLC of the Lair of the Shadow Broker also)

DVD:

Loading a saved game: 25 seconds
Landing on a Planet: 24 seconds
Returning to the Normandy: 40 seconds

HDD:

Loading a saved game: 18.5 seconds
Landing on a Planet: 19 seconds
Returning to the Normandy: 28.2 seconds
Blu_LED said:
How big is this going to be? Since it was on 360 we could assume it would have to be under 9GB, but seeing as the updated the engine and stuff, could it be more?
ME2 360 used two discs and was 12+GB.

subversus said:
I think it will be there right before launch. Steam often announces some games later than other DD stores.
I hope so. I don't want it on consoles and I don't want to use a PC service other than Steam, so I may have to play the waiting game.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Lostconfused said:
Yeah speaking of Sims 3 and all of the expansions.

Edit: Also I have no idea why anyone expects the price to be lower than retail.

oh Sims 3 is really that important game. Every hardcore title will be on Steam because if it is not there it won't sell.

and Sims 3 audience is lured very easily into EA store or something like that because they don't care.

Blu_LED said:
Didn't know that. This thing is going to be like a 15GB download. :lol
no. it has to be less. they probably had to put some of the old stuff from disc one to work and add in the rest of the game on it on disc 2. I think it'll be like 10GB. (not counting the extra DLC that comes with it)

notworksafe said:
Didn't ME2 launch on Steam the same day as the game released to retail PC and X360?
EA games show up very late on steam. Dragon Age 2 just showed up recently, after the cut off date for the "Signature Edition". Sims 3 is still not on steam even if its on other DD services. Sure most games end up on steam eventually.
subversus said:
and Sims 3 audience is lured very easily into EA store or something like that because they don't care.
Which is really the point. Its a worthless and vain gesture which impacts negatively on their customers but benefits them little.

Firewire

Banned
I wouldn't mind the PSN version but damn if its over 10GB, I would rather go with the disc version even if it means longer load times.

notworksafe

Lostconfused said:
EA games show up very late on steam. Dragon Age 2 just showed up recently, after the cut off date for the "Signature Edition". Sims 3 is still not on steam even if its on other DD services. Sure most games end up on steam eventually.
So for Dragon Age 2 "very late" means 3 months before launch? :lol

Many EA games may be coming late to Steam, but I wouldn't use DA2 as an example.

Acheteedo

Could this be a big "fuck you" to retail after the ME2 360 price plummeted everywhere just in time to damage PS3 sales?

You can get it for £5 in the UK, seems incredibly poorly timed.

At first I thought this would make it more likely that I would buy the game, but after the high wore off I think I would still rather just have the case and disc if there is no other difference. I can let someone borrow it, trade it, sell it, or give it away if I felt like it. Also, I am terrified about how DD plays out when the generation/technology changes over.

Top Bottom